Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
My first graphics card was a cirrus logic :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mine was a GeForce 440mx

Took a while to even look at GPUs and got a bad one :negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My first gpu was a trident vga card. Went straght from a c64 to a 386DX40, what an upgrade that was.

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 15, 2017

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Doom 3 was visually impressive at the time, but after the 10th 'grab gun then Surprise Monster Wall' sequence I got bored and quit and never went back. Doom 4 was really, really good though, said as someone who didn't care for the Quakes at all.

Doom 3's AI was awful compared to the clone soldiers in FEAR. Doom 3 enemies would shamble after you where in FEAR they'd happily flank you, react to your actions, hunt you down, or just lead you into an ambush.

Edit: was from last page discussion

My first videocard was a Voodoo Banshee PCI. It was okay.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh thread nostalgia time.

ATI Mach 64 + Voodoo 2 4 lyfe.

Truga posted:

My first gpu was a trident vga card. Went straght from a c64 to a 386DX40, what an upgrade that was.

Hello me, nice to meet you.

Did you have 4MB of RAM and a 120MB HDD as well?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
S3 Trio64 rocking System Shock, CD-Rom Edition in Super VGA baby.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Oh thread nostalgia time.

ATI Mach 64 + Voodoo 2 4 lyfe.

Hello me, nice to meet you.

Did you have 4MB of RAM and a 120MB HDD as well?

180MB drive. It was huge!

Until alone in the dark 3 released and ate like half of all the free space, lmao

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really wish I still had my first built from scratch PC. I had a Matrox Millennium in that to start, and added the Voodoo a year or two later when it came out.

e: Tyan Tomcat motherboard with a Cyrix 166 CPU, but I can't remember how much ram it had

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Mine was an ATI Rage 128.

Same, it was as fast as you could get for about 2 weeks back in 1998. Even more so since mine came in a PowerMac G3.

I get 2 or 3 hours a night and way more on weekends because I am a living Goon stereotype.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I had a Riva TNT in 1998, glad I got it too because Quake II looked way better in SW mode than Glide.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Truga posted:

All through high school we had this old IBM PS/2 Model 25 that my dad paid like $3500 for in 1988 and refused to upgrade. That thing had an 8086 CPU, integrated MCGA graphics and display, 512k of ram, and a 3 1/2" disk drive when nearly every game was still coming out on 5 1/4" disks. He sold/gave away our C128 when we got it, so that was it for PC gaming.

Two freaking weeks before I leave for college, he asked me to spec him out a brand new Gateway 2000 486 DX2/66 system with PCI VGA and 8MB of ram and a CDRom and the works. So my brothers and sister got to enjoy one hell of an upgrade, while I got to take the old IBM to college. :argh:

I ended up buying a tricked out Amiga500 anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CyberPingu posted:

Too bad for your wrong opinions on Doom 3 :colbert:

I don't like horror. I was expecting basically Doom 4.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Enos Cabell posted:

I ended up buying a tricked out Amiga500 anyway.

Amiga's performance was astounding for the day and is one of those systems with a weird retro-computing cult following even today. All of Babylon 5's CGI was rendered on a farm of Video Toasters, on time and under budget. And they were super popular with TV stations on a budget for real-time video switching+overlays. Shame Commodore faceplanted so badly in the late 80s/early 90s, they were really on fire for a while there.

Since we're kinda on this topic, I seem to remember at least one of the midsized PC companies getting caught up in a scheme in the 80s where they were grinding the labels off chips to avoid an import tariff on Japanese memory chips or something, but I can't remember who it was exactly. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 15, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

Since we're kinda on this topic, I seem to remember at least one of the midsized PC companies getting caught up in a scheme in the 80s where they were grinding off the labels on chips to avoid an import tariff on Japanese memory chips or something, but I can't remember who it was exactly. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Amstrad, maybe?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Amiga's performance was astounding for the day and is one of those systems with a weird retro-computing cult following even today. All of Babylon 5's CGI was rendered on a farm of Video Toasters, on time and under budget. Shame Commodore faceplanted so badly in the late 80s/early 90s, they were really on fire for a while there.

The Commodore name keeps trading hands every few years it seems, dating back to the mid-late 90s, and it's resulted in such a wet-fart every single time. You'd think someone would be able to capitalize on that nostalgia.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Truga posted:

That's the first GPU I remember having. An ISA Trident VGA card.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Amiga's performance was astounding for the day and is one of those systems with a weird retro-computing cult following even today. All of Babylon 5's CGI was rendered on a farm of Video Toasters, on time and under budget. And they were super popular with TV stations on a budget for real-time video switching+overlays. Shame Commodore faceplanted so badly in the late 80s/early 90s, they were really on fire for a while there.

Since we're kinda on this topic, I seem to remember at least one of the midsized PC companies getting caught up in a scheme in the 80s where they were grinding the labels off chips to avoid an import tariff on Japanese memory chips or something, but I can't remember who it was exactly. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

You may find this article interesting:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/the-a-eon-amiga-x5000-reviewed-the-beloved-amiga-meets-2017/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That is amazing. It makes no drat sense to buy, but I am sorely tempted.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

That's the first GPU I remember having. An ISA Trident VGA card.

Yep. 256kB video ram baby

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

That actually is really cool. I'm not in the market for a $2000 specialty PC but that's definitely a unique piece of hardware.

Can you boot AmigaOS or whatever on a POWER8? There is also that $4.5k totally-open-source workstation PC based on Power8 in a similar category of "cool but way too expensive".

For cheaper funky-hardware-with-surprising-throughput thrills I'm all about the Parallella. Epiphany is a p.cool processor :goleft:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 15, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This was my first GPU, it was hot poo poo at the time. Before this I was gaming on integrated graphics with 4MB VRAM.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I was on a 100Mhz Pentium until I started high school (in 2000, so went way too long on that thing) and was gifted a 1.7Ghz P4-based Celeron to replace it. Was in one of those slim Dell towers and the only expansion slots were a pair of PCI, so my first GPU was a PCI FX5200. Put together my first system a couple years later which had a 9500 Pro, which was later replaced by one of the last AGP cards released, a 6800GS or something like that, I think.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Why was the PCIe switchover so abrupt anyway? It was AGP for years and then all of a sudden boom, I guess we're all doing PCIe now.

edit: also, look at this thing, just look at it :staredog:

won't someone put that poor thing out of its misery? :gonk:

modern rebranding: X1600 VR Edition, now with internal ports!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 15, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I built an Athlon 64-based setup not long before the transition happened, it had a Radeon 9800 XT (with a whopping 256 MB VRAM!) but its factory overclock was a tad too much and it died after about two years. The availability of decent replacement AGP cards was not great, I think I went to a Radeon X1650, then X1950, all the enthusiast models were PCI-E by that time. I think there were some issues with AGP, Ati cards and Bink videos (which a lot of games used for their pre-rendered intros etc.) at the time, too - I remember having to watch eg. the Oblivion intro out of game with the Bink-Viewer because of it :v:

The family computer I tinkered with had some Cirrus Logic video card, I can't even remember what bus. My first computer had a Matrox Millenium G200, which was good at Direct3D but very bad at OpenGL (I played lots of games based on Quake 2 engine). Like 20fps and less at 1024x768 bad.

E: My Radeon 9800 XT didn't burn anything but it was visibly struggling from the start and I had massive issues with alpha textures flickering and stretching, especially in WoW. I solved this by underclocking the card but it still died eventually - it was fitting to consider WoW killed my first really expensive video card (I generally paid 250-300 bucks for mainstream cards before and after).

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 15, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oblivion killed my ATI card. Like burned contacts off the card when I tried loading it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

xthetenth posted:

Oblivion killed my ATI card. Like burned contacts off the card when I tried loading it.

Crysis did that to mine

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Vega FE is appearing in stores now:

https://www.sabrepc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=vega&order=relevance&dir=desc
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-amd/amd-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-graphics-cards

Notably they have bumped the originally announced 12.5 SP-TFLOPS rating up to 13.1 SP-TFLOPS. Did they pull a Fury by cranking the voltage up at the last minute?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

repiv posted:

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-amd/amd-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-graphics-cards

Notably they have bumped the originally announced 12.5 SP-TFLOPS rating up to 13.1 SP-TFLOPS. Did they pull a Fury by cranking the voltage up at the last minute?

They put 2x 8-pin connectors for a reason on this thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
As far as raw SP FMA compute goes that beats a stock 1080 Ti (which I think is 11.5 TFLOPS?). Not sure about overclocking, or game performance, but it looks like a hell of a SP compute card.

So, y'know, typical high end Radeon offering

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beautiful Ninja posted:

They put 2x 8-pin connectors for a reason on this thing.

Reminder: 2x8 pin connectors is the generic AMD design for "lots of power". They have a history of overdrawing their connectors in the name of compatibility.

The 295x2 had 2x8 pin connectors too (rated to a total of 375W, including the slot) and pulled 500W through them. The excuse at the time was "people with lovely PSUs that only have 2 plugs might not be able to run our 500W card!".

Technically this means the 295x2 was out of compliance with the PCIe spec, among other incidents in AMD's history.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 15, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reminder: 2x8 pin connectors is generic AMD for "lots of power". They have a history of overdrawing their connectors in the name of compatibility.

The 295x2 had 2x8 pin connectors too (rated to a total of 375W, including the slot) and pulled 500W through them.

On the other hand they did put 3x8pin on the Fiji Pro Duo, rather than overdrawing 2x8pin again.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reminder: 2x8 pin connectors is generic AMD for "lots of power". They have a history of overdrawing their connectors in the name of compatibility.

The 295x2 had 2x8 pin connectors too (rated to a total of 375W, including the slot) and pulled 500W through them.

It's a terrible cycle, too, because since AMD does it and expects it to work, power supply manufacturers have to work with it otherwise people will buy stuff like the 295X2 and then go "wow this stupid <brand> power supply that I spent $300 won't run my card even though the wattage is more than enough, <brand> loving sucks".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My first graphics card was a Radeon 7000. At Christmas I wanted to upgrade so I could play Doom 3 better so I bought a 9200 SE from the computer shop we went to. My cousin was nice and chipped in some more cash to go to a 9600. I'm sure there were other cards before then on like old DOS computers, but that 7000 is the first I actually remember.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Another store listed the TDP of Vega FE: https://exxactcorp.com/index.php/product/prod_detail/2565

Vega FE Blower - 300W
Vega FE Water - 375W

:tif:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Another store listed the TDP of Vega FE: https://exxactcorp.com/index.php/product/prod_detail/2565

Vega FE Blower - 300W
Vega FE Water - 375W

:laffo:

eames
May 9, 2009

what a trainwreck, imagine a dual GPU card.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

repiv posted:

Vega FE Blower - 300W
Vega FE Water - 375W

Looking forward to a Vega 2x with 5 8-pin connectors that ships with a dedicated SFX Power Supply.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Well, if you're going to leave us these numbers right here, let's re-equalize to Titan XP's 250W TDP, shall we?

(I'm not predicting good things, there's probably a reason why there's no 'something something -per-watt!' marketing blurb. I'm also aware that such things are not a linear scaling and that the more power you push, the more diminishing returns kicks in. Which should actually hurt AMD more, and I expect to see a solid Nvidia lead once I'm done calculating these numbers per-300 air-cooled watts and then multiplying by 250.)

10.91 TFLOPS
21.83 TFLOPS Still advantage
---
---
113.125 Still advantage
69.95 Still advantage
95.73 Still advantage
3.4 Still advantage

Okay, that was surprising. Why did they push for 300W again, and what the heck are the *actual* numbers at 250W?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

repiv posted:

Less than twice the price of a 580 but for some reason I'm still not interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

Vega FE Blower - 300W
Vega FE Water - 375W

That may not be accurate - maybe they're just rating the connectors. The first would work out at 1x8 + 1x6 + slot, the other is 2x8 + slot exactly.