Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I think i asked thisin the original thread bu then forgot about it and now can't find it, but here's what i remember:

It starred Tom Hanks;
He had to live with parents/inlaws/people;
These parents/inlaws/people were borderline monsters or were actual monsters;
He may have had to stay with them in order to win something;
The house they stayed in was nuts and i vaguely remember there being some kind of minecart/rollercoaster thing at the end.
It was a comedy (in case you couldn't tell);
I remember the "father figure" of these people he was staying with being some kind of mummified creature or maybe a zombie or something or just really really old and freaky.

It's not The Burbs and not The Money Pit, but i could swear that it was out during that mid to late 80's era. It was definitely before his serious roles tat he started in the 90's.

Kin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Juan
May 5, 2009

Sir Juan posted:

I'll be very surprised if someone can help me with this.

The movie takes place in some major European city, possibly in France. The antagonist, who I think had an European accent, had either captured or tracked down the protagonist but has just lost him and tells his henchmen to "look for him in the cardinal's rear end". Or something along those lines.

The movie probably came out in the late 90's or the early 2000's. I remember watching in at my friend's house on DVD maybe five years ago.

I might have figured this out myself. I remembered that the guy who says to search the cardinal's rear end was in La Femme Nikita. His name is Tchéky Karyo and he's also in Kiss of the Dragon with Jet Li, and that movie takes place in Paris. That must be it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Kin posted:

I think i asked thisin the original thread bu then forgot about it and now can't find it, but here's what i remember:

It starred Tom Hanks;
He had to live with parents/inlaws/people;
These parents/inlaws/people were borderline monsters or were actual monsters;
He may have had to stay with them in order to win something;
The house they stayed in was nuts and i vaguely remember there being some kind of minecart/rollercoaster thing at the end.
It was a comedy (in case you couldn't tell);
I remember the "father figure" of these people he was staying with being some kind of mummified creature or maybe a zombie or something or just really really old and freaky.
That's basically a description of Nothing But Trouble, which starred Chevy Chase, not Tom Hanks.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Action Jacktion posted:

That's basically a description of Nothing But Trouble, which starred Chevy Chase, not Tom Hanks.

You sir, are awesome. No wonder i couldn't find it on imdb.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 18, 2019

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

McFunkerson posted:

While watching Toy Story with my daughter I was reminded of a movie I saw years ago as a kid. I'm going to guess this was 20ish years ago. The movie was about living toys, long before Toy Story hit theaters. The only thing I remember about the plot was that if the toys were seen moving by people they died. I think it was done in stop motion, possibly claymation. I saw it on tv, might have been a made for tv special, possibly a chistmas special?

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, or was this some kind of childhood hallucination?

Looks like it could be The Christmas Toy- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099263/
Instead of dying, the toys become frozen forever if they're caught.

magoo005
Mar 13, 2004

I pitty the fool that made me their custom title
The movie is a relatively recent release. 2003 or later.

A man must kill his outlaw older brother in order to save his younger brother from being killed.

I can't remember much else.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
The Proposition

magoo005
Mar 13, 2004

I pitty the fool that made me their custom title

Cavenagh posted:

The Proposition

Thanks! I wish imdb search by plot worked better.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Gossamer posted:

Got a really hard one here:

Older movie, probably made in 60's, 70's, or maybe 80's has a scene where some guy is driving another guy's car really hard and fast to get somewhere important and the guy who owns the car is in the back seat yelling hysterically about how the car can't take the speed/being driven that way and that it's going to give out and also how it's not his car or was his father's car maybe or something...

Could be Ferris Bueller's Day Off or maybe License to Drive, or any one of a million other tv shows or movies.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I remember seeing this movie on HBO during the mid-to-late 80’s.

It was about a group of people who were chosen to live in a fallout shelter for six months in order to “test” not only the shelter, but the psychological constraints that might come from being trapped inside. It was a mix of old and young, families and singles.

Two (edit – three) (edit – drat it, four) scenes that I recall.

1. While playing, the children come across a “hidden” room where there are body bags hanging up. The room was hidden away to prevent the survivors from thinking about death. I remember the line “there’s fifteen of us and fifteen bags. So, how does the last guy zip himself up?”

2. Some kind of crisis happens in the “outside” world, ala the Cuban Missile
Crisis. One of the subjects leaves the shelter to go back to his family and the streets are filled with panicked people.

3. A scene on the security cameras where a crush of people are trying to get inside once the shelter’s been sealed.

4. In the end, the whole crisis may or may not have been a hoax/part of the experiment.

I want to say “Blackout” or “Fallout” is the name, but I can’t pull anything up.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Just got an email from a friend asking to identify a movie based on two scenes, and I have no idea what it is. Maybe one of you do:

quote:

D insists that he saw a movie a long time ago that involved two scenes;

1. A date to the La Brea tar pits.
2. Later, the couple go to a diner and eat pie. He takes a bite and starts crying, then explains that the pie tastes exactly like what the primordial soup would have tasted like.

He said it seemed like the coolest movie ever, but he only saw those two scenes. I think he dreamed it. Google turns up nothing. Thoughts?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

robix smash posted:

1. A date to the La Brea tar pits.

The Hammer Cute movie!

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

codyclarke posted:

The Hammer Cute movie!
Thanks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm looking for a foreign sci-fi film. I only saw the ending, where two stalker types (in the Roadside Picnic sense) are talking outdoors. One of them seems to have lost his will to live. He takes off his gas mask under a tree outside and expires. The other one trudges off and the credits roll.

I can't remember what language it was. I want to say German or Russian. The film process seemed to be very dull and muted, maybe sepia toned.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I have two, one probably pretty easy, the other not so easy.

1. A lighthearted American film from the 60's or 70's. A man has to deface billboards across the city with black paint during the night, and if he is successful he'll get some money or something good will happen. His girlfriend/wife is telling him he is crazy, etc.

2. A Chinese martial arts film from the 70's-80's involving two brothers/friends who train under some monk ninja master or something with a fuller face (though he isn't fat). About halfway or two thirds of the way through the movie, the monk guy is possessed by a demon and either dies or is killed, cue brothers/friends swearing revenge on the entity responsible.

The Strawman
Apr 25, 2010

Alris posted:

1. A lighthearted American film from the 60's or 70's. A man has to deface billboards across the city with black paint during the night, and if he is successful he'll get some money or something good will happen. His girlfriend/wife is telling him he is crazy, etc.

This one sounds alot like Good Neighbor Sam, starring Jack Lemmon.

The Strawman fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 28, 2010

silban
Apr 11, 2005

SOMETIMES UNEXPECTED THINGS HAPPEN, OK?!?!
The movie I am thinking of was in the late 80s or early 90s and has a father that moves his daughter into this neighborhood development he was working with some rich guy on and into this fancy new house. Turns out the rich guy that is making the development is doing something evil and has cameras all over the neighborhood and lasers one of which shoots their dog or something...basically it all boils down to the little girl getting a floppy disk and hacking it for the information inside to control the grid or whatever.

Any ideas? I am usually pretty good at Google-fu but not today...

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

silban posted:

The movie I am thinking of was in the late 80s or early 90s and has a father that moves his daughter into this neighborhood development he was working with some rich guy on and into this fancy new house. Turns out the rich guy that is making the development is doing something evil and has cameras all over the neighborhood and lasers one of which shoots their dog or something...basically it all boils down to the little girl getting a floppy disk and hacking it for the information inside to control the grid or whatever.

Any ideas? I am usually pretty good at Google-fu but not today...

Sounds like The Colony with John Ritter.

silban
Apr 11, 2005

SOMETIMES UNEXPECTED THINGS HAPPEN, OK?!?!

Pweller posted:

Sounds like The Colony with John Ritter.

Perfect and thanks. I swear I checked through his IMDB but I must have missed it. Thank you thank you.

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010
I have only two semi-vague details that I can only barely relate to be from the same movie in my memory. I believe it's from late 80's to early 90's.

1. The main character either is the guy who won a Pulitzer for taking pictures of a woman and child falling from a balcony, or, is someone else who had this same experience. The fact that he took the picture instead of catching the baby plagues him.

2. I think aliens are involved somehow. Maybe his parents are aliens?

(OK three details)3. Towards the end there is a scene with a graveyard and headstones that appears to be CGI.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This is going to be very vague so I apologize in advance.

Saw this on tv maybe 10-15 years ago while I was half asleep, it was a sci fi show or movie about this massive space ship, it had a very odd design... I want to say it was a cube or something like that. Inside it was all black and derelict looking, and all the lighting was green. That`s all I remember really, my first thought was some borg thing from star trek but it`s definitely not that, the people in the ship were regular humans. I think they were fleeing from some other ship maybe.. that`s all I remember.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I suddenly remembered seeing commercials for a Samuel L Jackson movie sometime in the early to mid 2000's where Sam Jackson basically plays a exaggerated version of (you guessed it) Samuel L Jackson. I can't remember if he played a cop or a criminal but the look of the movie was a bit more stylized than your normal action movie. I know its not any of the big movies he's been in (Snakes on a Plane, Black Snake Moan, etc.) Was this an actual movie I'm remembering?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

foodfight posted:

I suddenly remembered seeing commercials for a Samuel L Jackson movie sometime in the early to mid 2000's where Sam Jackson basically plays a exaggerated version of (you guessed it) Samuel L Jackson. I can't remember if he played a cop or a criminal but the look of the movie was a bit more stylized than your normal action movie. I know its not any of the big movies he's been in (Snakes on a Plane, Black Snake Moan, etc.) Was this an actual movie I'm remembering?

From that timeframe, probably The Man

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

This was a movie that I saw only a couple times as a young child. It was a supernatural thriller I believe. It was made in the 70's-80's, and involved an old burned down mansion home out in the country(either England or U.S.). A family arrives (i'm not sure if its to rebuild it or what, I can't honestly remember) and although this part of it gets kind of fuzzy for me, they (the teen children of the family) come into contact with the ghost teens that lived there before. The movie plays out with the ghost teens explaining their lives (perhaps some kind of romantic plot that affecting the house burning down and them dying in it).

This is my best recolection, and I'm not 100% sure of any of the details, so there may have been more plot with the adult characters than I remember. Also as another detail, there may be some confusion amongst the ghost teen kids as to if they are actually dead, and as the present day living teen kids find out the story, it brings closure of a sort to the dead teens. This was definetly not a kids movie.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Glass Joe posted:

From that timeframe, probably The Man

Wait, I found it. Formula 51

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
All I remember about this was a brief scene I saw when I was quite young, so I'd say the movie was made in the 80s to early 90s. There is what I think was a homeless man and a woman, or maybe she was homeless and he wasn't, or they were both homeless. Whatever, vagrancy was involved. Basically they were about to make love, I think on top of a big pile of garbage, and the guy is undressing the woman, but she's wearing like a dozen layers of clothing that he has to get through. I recall him expressing wonderment at this and also that one of the layers of clothing was a shirt or jacket that was white with black vertical stripes. Vague, I know, but maybe it rings a bell.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Detective Thompson posted:

All I remember about this was a brief scene I saw when I was quite young, so I'd say the movie was made in the 80s to early 90s. There is what I think was a homeless man and a woman, or maybe she was homeless and he wasn't, or they were both homeless. Whatever, vagrancy was involved. Basically they were about to make love, I think on top of a big pile of garbage, and the guy is undressing the woman, but she's wearing like a dozen layers of clothing that he has to get through. I recall him expressing wonderment at this and also that one of the layers of clothing was a shirt or jacket that was white with black vertical stripes. Vague, I know, but maybe it rings a bell.

I'm like 99% sure this is Mel Brooks' Life Stinks.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I was young, so this was probably in the mid-90s, and the movie was on TV so it might have been a couple years after its actual release.

What little I remember of the plot is that the antagonist either is or looks like a priest, and he's using the Satanic Bible to corrupt miracles and do all sorts of bad things.

The scene I remember most clearly goes as follows:

- We see a different priest baptizing some people in a holy pool or something. I guess it's holy because a saint bathed in it or something, but it supposedly has healing powers if you are anointed with the water or drink it or something.
- Voiceover of the badguy: "...and miracles of healing become miracles of pain."
- Anyway, these people have made this pilgrimage to be healed by the waters of this pool, and as the priest calls up the next penitent and goes to dip his hand in the pool, the water starts boiling violently, and the priest screams and jerks his hand back. It's all scalded and red.

That's all I remember. :shobon: There may have been a cross-faded or overlaid shot of the evil dude reading from the book at the beginning of this scene.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
I'm trying to remember the title of a British gangster movie set in the 60s (I think). All I can remember is something to do with a gangster being murdered because he was a gay rapist, or something along those lines. I thought it was Gangster No 1, but I just watched that, and that wasn't it.

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--
Saw a whopping 30 seconds of this on TV once a year or more ago but it had the production values and score of a film:
This decent-looking guy wakes up in bed, seemingly after a night of getting it on, but when he looks over on the other side of the bed there's this shriveled mummy of a woman and he's horrified. She weakly says something along the lines of "I'm 200 years old..."
What the heck was this?

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Mr. George Kaplan posted:

This decent-looking guy wakes up in bed, seemingly after a night of getting it on, but when he looks over on the other side of the bed there's this shriveled mummy of a woman and he's horrified. She weakly says something along the lines of "I'm 200 years old..."

Possibly High Spirits (1988) where Steve Guttenberg's character has sex with a ghost on a rare occasion when she's corporeal. The sex makes her turn old.

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--

Erasmus Darwin posted:

Possibly High Spirits (1988) where Steve Guttenberg's character has sex with a ghost on a rare occasion when she's corporeal. The sex makes her turn old.

That's the one. Thank you kindly.

ApocalypsePlease
Aug 3, 2008
I may be missing something really obvious when I google this, but I saw this movie years ago and haven't been able to track it down. If I remember correctly it was Japanese, but I guess it could have been from somewhere else in Asia. It involved a guy and a girl who, wandering around the city in search of each other (?) and taking photos, kept finding each other in their photos, but couldn't find each other in real life. At the end of the movie, while each was in their apartment, there was an earthquake that tore down the walls between apartments - and it turned out they actually lived in neighbouring apartments.

I saw this on TV somewhere between 2003-2006, and I wouldn't have thought the movie was that old when I saw it.

ApocalypsePlease fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 4, 2010

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I saw an trailer for this movie in an Indie movie place. It's a British movie about some kids from a school for some reason they've been seperated from the rest of the world I think it was in the near future. Anyway the kids have a scanner type thing in their wrist, that they use as they go inside a room. There's three kids that hang out to together a boy and two girls. They all grown up and the boy falls in love with one of the girls. I guess they escape or are let out of the school, and they all are exploring their feeling and surrounding together. I don't know why this movie it stuck in my head right now.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.

zombieman posted:

I'm trying to remember the title of a British gangster movie set in the 60s (I think). All I can remember is something to do with a gangster being murdered because he was a gay rapist, or something along those lines. I thought it was Gangster No 1, but I just watched that, and that wasn't it.

Possibly The Krays
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099951/

Not sure if this is the one you want, but it does have a gay British gangster.

surlyrodent
Mar 11, 2008

Mr. Unlucky posted:

This is going to be very vague so I apologize in advance.

Saw this on tv maybe 10-15 years ago while I was half asleep, it was a sci fi show or movie about this massive space ship, it had a very odd design... I want to say it was a cube or something like that. Inside it was all black and derelict looking, and all the lighting was green. That`s all I remember really, my first thought was some borg thing from star trek but it`s definitely not that, the people in the ship were regular humans. I think they were fleeing from some other ship maybe.. that`s all I remember.

Sounds like this might be Event Horizon

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Chinese movie, drama maybe with some light sci-fi themes (not sure) can't really remember much else except there was a train in the trailer, and I think its on the Kung Fu Hustle dvd.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

JammyLammy posted:

Chinese movie, drama maybe with some light sci-fi themes (not sure) can't really remember much else except there was a train in the trailer, and I think its on the Kung Fu Hustle dvd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Thats it! Thank you so much, been meaning to add it to my netflix queue but just couldn't remember the name.

I hope its a good movie :ohdear: