Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
These just came in today

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/19875/ITEM/Vega-Sport-II-Boots.aspx

Cheap, full length, they seem well made so far. (Ok I didn't want to shell out over 200 for the Alpinestars)

Ok they were tough as hell to get on the first time, I think I need to break em in a bit, but they're pretty nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

You can lube them with any sort of grease and it'll stop them squeeking. Someone recommended lithium grease, I was always too lazy/forgetful to do it.

This man speaks the truth. I, for one, cannot put up with such a noise while I walk around looking like a space cowboy.

Kills the image.

edit:

-Inu- posted:

SMX Pluses? Nope, the hinge is plastic on plastic -- they're gonna squeak squeak squeak.

It's not necessarily a hinge, just two plastic bits getting shoved together as the boot moves around.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 29, 2010

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
So do you guys firmly believe that tall boots are the only way to go for street riding? I am worried it is going to make it near impossible to work the shift lever on my UJM, and I think the sort that comes up just a few inches above my ankle would be more comfortable.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Stoic Commie posted:

So do you guys firmly believe that tall boots are the only way to go for street riding? I am worried it is going to make it near impossible to work the shift lever on my UJM, and I think the sort that comes up just a few inches above my ankle would be more comfortable.

As long as the boots cover your ankle, you'll be fine.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Doctor Zero posted:

As long as the boots cover your ankle, you'll be fine.

Ok, I think I am going to get these Icons, the reviews are raving and I actually found a shop that carries them near me.

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/icon/accelerant_waterproof_motorcycle_boot.html

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Stoic Commie posted:

The one huge advantage to full boots is the limited range of motion it provides your ankle. Wearing a normal pair of shoes, or in this case short boots, your foot can still rotate forward as if you were barefoot. This could cause big, painful problems in an accident. Since full boots are basically a shell halfway up your shin, your foot can't be shoved in that direction.

Sure, they're a bit clunky, but your feet are drat near invincible in a good pair of full boots.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AncientTV posted:

The one huge advantage to full boots is the limited range of motion it provides your ankle. Wearing a normal pair of shoes, or in this case short boots, your foot can still rotate forward as if you were barefoot. This could cause big, painful problems in an accident. Since full boots are basically a shell halfway up your shin, your foot can't be shoved in that direction.

Sure, they're a bit clunky, but feel like your feet are drat near invincible in a good pair of full boots.

edit for clarity. Unless there's some crash studies out there on the merits of plastic bits and shiny logos on your boots, my gut instinct is that any impact strong enough to damage your ankle will damage it regardless what kind of boot you want to wear. It just comes down to style and personal preference.
You wear a boot rather than a shoe because it won't come off in a crash. A stiff boot won't prevent an ankle injury.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Linedance posted:

edit for clarity. Unless there's some crash studies out there on the merits of plastic bits and shiny logos on your boots, my gut instinct is that any impact strong enough to damage your ankle will damage it regardless what kind of boot you want to wear. It just comes down to style and personal preference.
You wear a boot rather than a shoe because it won't come off in a crash. A stiff boot won't prevent an ankle injury.

It doesn't take much for your ankles to get twisted to all hell. There's very little support for side-to-side motion in your ankle and almost no muscle to counteract those forces. That's what boots are for.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

It looks like I picked a good time to ask for some boot advice. I see the A* and Sidi boots getting a lot of praise in the last fifty pages, but maybe someone can address my plans a little more specifically.

I'll be touring for about a month this summer and boots are a must-have. I did a similar trip last summer in hiking boots and I'm not taking that risk again. The nice thing about my hiking boots is that I didn't have to bring another pair of shoes -- they were great for walking around our campsites and such. I don't need to sacrifice protection for looks, however, as these will be dedicated riding boots. I just want some boots that will be fine for doing a little walking in, but will provide full ankle protection etc.

Before this page I was pretty set on the Sidis and A*s (that looks like I'm trying to write rear end politely) but what about these Vegas? Or some other brand I should be looking at.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

You can lube them with any sort of grease and it'll stop them squeeking. Someone recommended lithium grease, I was always too lazy/forgetful to do it.

Or you can do what a certain rider a salseman at Yamaha told me about did.

His boots were squeaking so he showed them to an Alpine Stars rep at a bike show. The rep took the boots, and gave him a pair of their highest end model race boot.

I wonder if a lot of reps are this cool.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Linedance posted:

So, racers wear big boots for funsies? Yes, I concede that my last statement was a tad bit misleading, but as KARMA said, they help keep your feet from flopping around in a crash.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

MrZig posted:

Or you can do what a certain rider a salseman at Yamaha told me about did.

His boots were squeaking so he showed them to an Alpine Stars rep at a bike show. The rep took the boots, and gave him a pair of their highest end model race boot.

I wonder if a lot of reps are this cool.
I wouldn't even want the Supertech R's unless I were constantly at the track or racing. They're way too cumbersome to put on for street riding.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So what do you guys do with gear if you go somewhere like a movie or something. Just lug around a helmet and jacket and gloves everywhere? Lock them somehow with/to your bike?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Stoic Commie posted:

I ride an 82 CB650 and wear full boots. I have absolutely no problem operating the shift lever.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Elendil004 posted:

So what do you guys do with gear if you go somewhere like a movie or something. Just lug around a helmet and jacket and gloves everywhere? Lock them somehow with/to your bike?

A lot of bikes have a helmet lock, but I've left my gloves at home a few times. :ssh: Something like this would be pretty good for locking stuff to a bike.

Most of the time I have a backpack on, so I can just stuff everything in there and lock the helmet to the bike.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
I put everything in the milk crate I have zip tied to my luggage rack. I run a cable lock through the sleeve of the jacket and the visor of the helmet and then lock it all to the bike. Gloves go in my backpack/messenger bag.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Elendil004 posted:

I either leave the helmet on the bike (if I'm just running in to grab something) or take everything with me. Usually, it's gloves into the helmet and jacket unzipped. I'll take the jacket off if I'm sitting somewhere. It's only a PITA if I'm walking around for a while.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Uthor posted:

I either leave the helmet on the bike (if I'm just running in to grab something) or take everything with me. Usually, it's gloves into the helmet and jacket unzipped. I'll take the jacket off if I'm sitting somewhere. It's only a PITA if I'm walking around for a while.

Yeah this is what I do, but I have a glovebox that I put my.. gloves into. Helmet on the grocery bag clip.

My old scooter had two built-in helmet locks and an underseat storage bin big enough to fit a folded-up jacket (or one full-face helmet in rain). loving convenient and I miss it :(

I'm thinking of getting a little retractable combination cable lock that I can run through a sleeve/helmet like benwards mentioned

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
I need suggestions on a comfortable size Large glove. I had these in size Medium because large wasn't available. (http://www.newenough.com/street/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/alpinestars/sp_2_motorcycle_gloves.html) They were terrible and the plastic bits killed my hands.

So I exchanged them for these (http://www.newenough.com/street/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/cortech_by_tour_master/injector_motorcycle_gloves.html) in size Large. Same deal, all the stitching and extra padding is in the most uncomfortable place. I have until the end of the week to still be in the return period. Any suggestions on a large comfy gloves for Under $100?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

For a movie or wandering around somewhere for a while, I'll take a backpack and stuff the helmet & gloves in there. If it's for eats/drinks, I'll just bring 'em in with me.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I can lock my helmet, gloves and jacket into my top case, but if I'm wearing my pants and boots, I'm stuck looking like a stormtrooper, unless I'm at someone's house where I can change and stash my stuff.

I love my Givi case though, 45 litres of storage comes in handy

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any tank bag recommendations for a GS500E? My roommate has a nice magnetic one that also ties to the handlebars and it has a clear map window on it which is really nice.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I have nothing but GREAT things to say about my Scorpion Stinger jacket. Compared to the A*s Halo I had for a day, it is leaps and bounds more comfortable and fits better as well. A top notch product!

Moving on to my A*s SMX-5 boots. Great fit and extremely comfortable. I have been able to walk around in them after riding and besides being a little warm (they are vented), they are as comfortable as a pair of regular shoes.

Sadly, my A*s SP-2 gloves did not fit properly, and I cannot send them back (accidentally tore off the tags getting them out of packaging). I ordered an XL based on the fit of others, and while the thumb is OK, the fingers are too long and make riding a pain. They have two rides on them, if anyone is interested I do want to sell them, they are blue/black.

Waiting on my cortech mod denim pants to get here. Also ordered the wife a Scorpion Nikki perf'd leather jacket.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Also ordered the wife a Scorpion Nikki perf'd leather jacket.

My GF loved that jacket, but everywhere on earth was out of stock in the White in her size :(

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Here are some boots, tell me which ones are the best choice because I can't decide!

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/way_rain_motorcycle_boots.html

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/icon/accelerant_waterproof_motorcycle_boot.html

http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/4322

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/net_air_motorcycle_boots.html

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/fusion_motorcycle_boots.html

The accelerants look like the best deal to me, being waterproof and all, but does anyone have experience with any of these?

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Just wanted to pop in to pimp my samart auction:

Letting go of an Olympia Airglide 2 jacket I bought in October as I lost some weight and it doesn't fit. $250 jacket is yours for $120 shipped.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3311073

Really awesome jacket. I bought a small to replace it :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I bring my helmet inside when I park at work. If it's just a short stop for food or a wander around or whatever, I keep a cable lock coiled up the trunk under my seat and use that to lock the helmet to the bike. I have locked my bike pants to the bike before with the same lock, but it's a pain. Jacket I don't mind walking around in, it's comfortable enough plus you look like a cool dude in a motorcycle jacket (with your helmet hair). It's the pants that make you look like a knob.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm getting pretty bad calluses on my hands from riding dirt. Four per hand right where the palm meets the fingers. Is this a sign of a bad fit with gloves or something else? Not a huge deal but a bit annoying.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Put baby powder/talc in your gloves before you go out, it will help you stay loose so you won't get them

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Numinous posted:

Just wanted to pop in to pimp my samart auction:

Letting go of an Olympia Airglide 2 jacket I bought in October as I lost some weight and it doesn't fit. $250 jacket is yours for $120 shipped.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3311073

Really awesome jacket. I bought a small to replace it :)

Put it in the stickied For Sale thread, also post it over on ADV. You'll get tons of responses.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
I've gone nearly two years on my bike and have yet to figure out the helmet lock. What up?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Any DC goons know a local place to try on gear?

Coleman powersports in Falls Church has a okay but not great selection.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
I went shopping for some summer gear recently, and ordered the last 2XL variant of this:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/agv-sport-breeze-leather-jacket

I don't have any riding pants to wear with my new jacket though, and so I'm wondering what I should get. I was thinking about getting some draggin jeans. Does anyone have any experience with those or any other suggestions for relatively cheap summer riding pants?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

I've gone nearly two years on my bike and have yet to figure out the helmet lock. What up?

We'll need to see a picture of it or something because they can be different depending on the bike. For example mine is just a loop of metal that gets closed when I put the seat back down.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Well, I can now say from experience that my Dainese warranty support worries were unfounded - I took my pants in to the store I purchased from last Thursday evening, and I spoke to a guy who informed me that the fault was not one he had seen before and that the pants would be sent off to the appointed tailor for Dainese repairs. I was told I could expect them back in about a week.

I got a call the next morning saying they were ready to pick up - apparently when the guy at the shop scootered the pants to the tailors, they said they had no work on and if he hung around for 30 mins he could take them away with him.

So I have some good-as-new (or maybe even better) Dainese pants, the piece in question is now double-stitched apparently. :)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

8ender posted:

We'll need to see a picture of it or something because they can be different depending on the bike. For example mine is just a loop of metal that gets closed when I put the seat back down.

Can't figure out helmet lock? Lets just assume its a loving suzuki hidden underseat peice of poo poo.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 2, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sectoidman posted:

I went shopping for some summer gear recently, and ordered the last 2XL variant of this:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/agv-sport-breeze-leather-jacket

I don't have any riding pants to wear with my new jacket though, and so I'm wondering what I should get. I was thinking about getting some draggin jeans. Does anyone have any experience with those or any other suggestions for relatively cheap summer riding pants?

What sort of riding are you going to be doing? If you want the more casual look, I'd pair the jeans with some knee armor that you can slip under them.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with some textile pants to toss over underarmor or jeans depending on the weather.

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart
Just ordered a set of gear in preparation for my upcoming MSF course. I hope I made good choices, the total came out to something like $520.

Bell Star helmet
Fieldsheer Congo Textile Jacket
Fieldsheer Slip On Pants(good armor and good for commuting hopefully!)
Shift Fuel shoes
Joe Rocket Atomic 3.0 gloves

I'm new to riding so hopefully I didn't make any glaring mistakes. Should this be a good setup? I'm in the Philly suburbs if it makes a difference.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd have gone with over the ankle gloves, but besides that, everything seems pretty decent if you don't want to go full on with motorcycle boots.

Also, drat that's a good price on those bell star helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Z3n posted:

I'd have gone with over the ankle gloves

Do they make these in mesh?