Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
would be cool to set up some live games like the nova league, but for goons.

someone else do it though im just an ideas man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hey getting my poo poo together again, and so getting back into Go. Used to play on KGS with goons, everybody moved to some website based thing now, right?

E: oh hey, it's just online-go.com I guess, I'm smart.

surc fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 24, 2016

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

After all these years... I finally got to a solid 1d rank on kgs!

Now to see if I can actually hold it :)

Also since the top 3 players in the itgo cup seem to be around the same rank, I dropped out. Hopefully you guys can have a good competition!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
it finally happened

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/01/alphago-machine-learning-game-go.html

quote:

After all that training it was time to put AlphaGo to the test. First, we held a tournament between AlphaGo and the other top programs at the forefront of computer Go. AlphaGo won all but one of its 500 games against these programs. So the next step was to invite the reigning three-time European Go champion Fan Hui—an elite professional player who has devoted his life to Go since the age of 12—to our London office for a challenge match. In a closed-doors match last October, AlphaGo won by 5 games to 0. It was the first time a computer program has ever beaten a professional Go player.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
games: http://www.usgo.org/news/2016/01/alphago-beats-pro-5-0-in-major-ai-advance/

Not surprised at all tbh. Previous go research was mostly done by some random dudes in their own basement. Once someone who knows what they are doing decided to throw down some money it was bound to happen.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cool that they used machine learning rather than mc

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I've dabbled with Go for a long time, but I've never had anyone to play with, so I've really ever Gotten It. I'm fine with losing, but I'm getting tired of not having feedback so I can understand why I'm losing.

Is the OP current and KGS is where things still happen? Or have people moved elsewhere?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
online-go.com is the most friendly place for beginners, i've found. and it doesnt need a client to be installed either.

there is an SA group there someone can invite you to

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

pointsofdata posted:

Cool that they used machine learning rather than mc

They used machine learning to guide MC. MCST is still at the core of the engine. Details of the algorithm published today in Nature, and the article can be found here: http://deepmind.com/alpha-go.html.

It's really nice work, and the games are really good.

Importantly:
"AlphaGo is scheduled to play Lee Sedol 9-dan, the Korean pro widely recognized as the strongest player of the last decade, in a 5-game series in March."

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Borachon posted:

They used machine learning to guide MC. MCST is still at the core of the engine. Details of the algorithm published today in Nature, and the article can be found here: http://deepmind.com/alpha-go.html.

It's really nice work, and the games are really good.

Importantly:
"AlphaGo is scheduled to play Lee Sedol 9-dan, the Korean pro widely recognized as the strongest player of the last decade, in a 5-game series in March."

Without using mc they still beat all the current programs

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

totino boy posted:

online-go.com is the most friendly place for beginners, i've found. and it doesnt need a client to be installed either.

there is an SA group there someone can invite you to

Awesome. I just registered there as mikeycp.

If someone could invite me that would be much appreciated.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Fan Hui won two of the five 'informal' games with shorter time rules. It would be interesting to see those as well, but unfortunately they didn't release them.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Is the ITGO room the default goon room? If so can someone invite HamOfTruth?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

pointsofdata posted:

Without using mc they still beat all the current programs

Only if they give current programs a 5s/move time limit. MC programs are highly sensitive to how much computational power they get. I would be surprised if they did nearly so well against current programs at reasonable time limites.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I think the point of that part of the paper (?) is to show that what they've added initializes the program better for each turn than MC does. Not that what they've done is superior to MCST in all aspects.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Overwined posted:

Is the ITGO room the default goon room? If so can someone invite HamOfTruth?
Done.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Thanks. I used to play a lot of Go in college. I started on IGS way back when it was only ASCII with no persistent board. You punched in your move and it spit back the board at you. I took the game back up about 5 years ago but only really established nothing. Back in the day I got to the 10-12k ranking range, but I'm not sure how that translates now. I've played a couple games against the easier bots and trounced them by 200ish points each time.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Uncle Jam posted:

I think the point of that part of the paper (?) is to show that what they've added initializes the program better for each turn than MC does. Not that what they've done is superior to MCST in all aspects.

The paper does *lots* of interesting things. From a quick glance, the main things are that it uses a DNN to weight/initialized MCST searches, it truncates rollouts and uses a different DNN to evaluate those abbreviated rollouts, and it started training these DNNs against a large database of 6d-9d KGS games, and then against its own games later. I expect they have been and will be training against Lee Sedol games. THey also use a lot of horsepower - 1200 cores and 170 GPS - for this.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
This is really cool and none of my friends really care so I'm a bit sad.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Borachon posted:

The paper does *lots* of interesting things. From a quick glance, the main things are that it uses a DNN to weight/initialized MCST searches, it truncates rollouts and uses a different DNN to evaluate those abbreviated rollouts, and it started training these DNNs against a large database of 6d-9d KGS games, and then against its own games later. I expect they have been and will be training against Lee Sedol games. THey also use a lot of horsepower - 1200 cores and 170 GPS - for this.

Yeah I hadn't been following this but I looked at the games it played vs Fan Hui and they are bonkers. It clowns him so bad, honte as gently caress

I feel like you only got a shadow of its full force vs Fan Hui because it had him so under control. I want to see games against the boss man.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Borachon posted:

I think the only part I don't get is training against 6d kgs games. There are tons of kifu for pro games so why not use those? Well, maybe with deep learning it doesn't matter if it trains enough. I dunno.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

I think the only part I don't get is training against 6d kgs games. There are tons of kifu for pro games so why not use those? Well, maybe with deep learning it doesn't matter if it trains enough. I dunno.

Was probably just a large dataset in a convenient format.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
On the AGA YouTube channel there is a video of Kim reviewing the alphago games, it's good but a lot of the video is Kim demanding to know how the program counts ko threats or other things.

pointsofdata posted:

Was probably just a large dataset in a convenient format.

I scraped some Japanese geocity type sites that had like the sgf for all preliminary games of every tournament for a pro search database before, but maybe there is some usage rights they have to be careful about.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Uncle Jam posted:

On the AGA YouTube channel there is a video of Kim reviewing the alphago games, it's good but a lot of the video is Kim demanding to know how the program counts ko threats or other things.

When he was commenting on the games and what AlphaGo did well and poorly or well, it was really interesting. When he started to speculate in ways that made assumptions about how the underlying program worked, though, things were much less useful.

The whole discussion on the value of sente in a particular position was really interesting and why AlphaGo's play in the first game was problematic was really interesting.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
While I think understanding sente value is important for humans playing the game, and I enjoyed that discussion, I think this sente value as a whole is just a specialized case of whole board branch searching. Sente value is just a thing that gets inbuilt naturally to the billions of play out result of the tree search.

Hopefully it'll be one of the things analysis programs can show us in the future though.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Can someone please invite adius to the ITGO room?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Done.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Goodness, it's been quite a while. Started playing Go and joined OGS back in 2010, lost interest for a while until I remembered it in 2012, played for a bit and then forgot about it again until finding this thread recently. Made a new OGS account as, while I remember the rules, I've forgotten most of the strategy involved. Maybe I can stick with it this time and manage to improve at the game? Let's see! It'd help if there was a group in my area to play in person, but alas.

Username's ZackAter, would someone invite me to the SA group?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Invitation sent, welcome friend

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

I learned how to play about ten years ago but then promptly never really played. I recently found there's a local go club and have started going, but they only meet once or twice a week. I made an account on OGS and KGS, anybody willing to give me pointers and tell me how bad my shape is? Also, could I get an invite to the SA group?
User name's totopi

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I added you to ITGO on KGS.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

tonberi posted:

I learned how to play about ten years ago but then promptly never really played. I recently found there's a local go club and have started going, but they only meet once or twice a week. I made an account on OGS and KGS, anybody willing to give me pointers and tell me how bad my shape is? Also, could I get an invite to the SA group?
User name's totopi

tonberrytoby

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Can I get an invite to the OGS group? My username on there is kirtar. Time to see if I can find my stones and books. For some reason I only know where my I put my board.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 15, 2016

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
its okay, we all lose stones when we dont play for a while

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

totino boy posted:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

toodles posted:

I've lost my marbles

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Can I also get added to ITGO on KGS? Username on there is kirtar. I've just been using OGS for now since I can do correspondence games on the same server if needed. I did a few 9x9 games to get out of provisional. Two of them were pretty awkward since I killed all of my opponents groups.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

totino boy posted:

I'm still 3k and don't tell me otherwise.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i am 100d

no pro has ever beaten me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"misterfish" would like to play in the itgo room.

I'm terrible and managed to lose ranking to bots... I'm at 27k now. I figure there is nowhere to go but up.