Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Luna Was Here posted:

Hello, I'm currently using the Razer Deathadder mouse because its the first mouse that fits my big hands, but its starting to crap out on me so I'm looking to move away from it. Anyone have any suggestions? I've heard good things about the Feenix Nascita but in all the pictures I've seen of it it looks really small which is something I don't want to deal with. Got any suggestions? I use a palm grip when gaming if that's anything to consider.

For a similar shape, try the Mionix Avior 7000. Really great mouse, ambidex design, lots of really good features and the software is pretty good. Great sensor on it too. It's on the bigger side too so it might fit you.

If you are fine with something non-ambidex shaped, Steelseries Rival isn't bad, and there's also the Mionix Naos 7000, or the Logitech G502 that are all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Megadyptes posted:

so I gotta switch from a regular mouse to trackball due to hosed up arm/wrist and was wondering what's a decent trackball that doesn't cost too much? There's that logitech m750 that looks pretty good but I'm not sure about a thumb trackball, are those less precise? and a bunch of kensington things but they look like they lack buttons and I'm rather fond of the back/forward buttons on my current G400s

My husband recently picked up a logitech M570, which is I assume is what you meant, to basically give trackballs a try - it seems really really great as a first track ball for the money. He hasn't been using it very long (almost a month, but not full time), so, he's not 100% sure about how good he'll eventually get with it but has a gut feeling: He's used some fingertip trackballs like decades ago and basically feels that probably it won't be as precise due to being a thumb ball, but also because it has a smaller ball compared to some of the more prestige tier trackballs you can get. It is perfectly good for his regular doings and gaming though. The fact that it's wireless and has a tiny unifying receiver + crazy battery life was also a big selling point for him vs some of the other choices, as he often uses it with a laptop.

We picked it up because of a few positive recommendations upthread, as well as from a friend. I'll dig up the links to the posts here in an edit.

edit OK well I poked around and didn't find too much relevant stuff, but there was this a few pages back that you may've seen already, talking about some of the top tier kensington balls and also this a lot of pages ago talking about how the M570 is good for everything except online FPSes, something that doesn't fit into my husband's gaming behaviour. There's also the website http://www.trackballmouse.org/ that is basically devoted to like, trackballs - we got some helpful info from there too, even if the people who write for it are a bit, uh, well... weird?

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 7, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The M570 works drat good as a couch mouse. It's too bad I can't find an old Logitech TrackMan Marble FX. I'd totally design and build a wireless PS/2 extender (with power adapter) for that glorious beast.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

yeah I meant the M570. thaks for the links, you're right about them being a bit weird

quote:

The shape of the Logitech M570 is really nice and your hand can comfortably hold the whole mouse… it is almost an erotic feeling grabbing this smooth shape and material.
:eyepop:

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Kensington Slimblade is fantastic, solidly recommended to anyone considering entering the field of ball manipulation. The best part is the size and weight of the trackball itself (comparable to a billiard ball but a bit smaller), it's a really tangible sense of motion when rolling it around, most other units have a small, lightweight trackball that doesn't really carry it's momentum once you lift your finger off. I have a Trackman at work and while it does the job of saving my wrist it's not really that pleasant to use, not that it's terrible or anything but it's functional and that's it. I love just flinging the slimblade ball around idly while browsing, and the scroll method is really clever and intuitive (and now I get disappointed when I instinctively twist other trackballs and no scrolling happens).

Not the cheapest but we are in the $100 mouse thread and it does hit that mark exactly. Slimblade has 4 buttons and a scroll function so will have less buttons if you are used to mouse 1+2+3 and back/forward, I assigned the spare button on this to back but I don't think I've used it more than once because when the opportunity comes up to go back a page I am all gently caress YEAH BALL FLINGING and go press the back button manually.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

My G400 has started to freeze at increasingly frequent intervals. I guess the G400s is the new version? Can anyone recommend anything similar that's maybe a bit cheaper?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

ended up buying the Logitech M570 which just arrived. holy gently caress trackballs are weird, I've already tried physically moving it like an actual mouse about five times already. This will take some getting used to.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who uses my PC at work has that brief moment of confusion everytime they try to move the cursor. Trackballs are so underrated.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anyone used a DA2013 and an Ouroboros? Are the side buttons easier to reach on the ouroboros (though i guess with the adjustable rear the distance is kind of customizable?

I cant easilly reach the forward button DA2013

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
Just chiming in to say I tried:

RAT 7
MMO 7
G700S
G502
G602
Razer Ouroboros

In my quest for a comfortable new mouse with a few macro buttons for work. I would rate them as:

RAT 7: The most comfortable of all the mice with the pinky rest for a 90% palm user. More solid feeling than MMO, but the software isn't very user friendly and while worked fine, I missed the auto-profile app-based switching the Logitech Gaming Software does. I also preferred the ability to remap DPI switching keys on the LGS as I only need 1 DPI setting.
MMO 7: Awesome set of extra buttons, but the mouse palm rest felt a bit loose and squeaky.
Razer: The mouse feels good, but I wish the palm rest could raise higher and it makes some sacrifices in comfort in exchange for being ambidextrous. half of the programmable buttons are useless for the opposite hand using it.
G602: Felt ok, but a bit heavy and not comfortable for a palm user compared to the G700S.
G700S: Very comfortable overall, a bit heavy especially compared to the RAT mice. The RAT mice definitely slide better on their massive teflon pads compared to the Logitech mice. Software is a big plus over RAT.
G502: After all the hype here, I tried it and the palm rest is way too low for a palm user and the mouse itself is a bit narrow. It's really not comfortable for my palm grip. Both the RAT and older MX Revolution mice are substantially more comfortable.

I was also surprised to see that the G700S works fine with LGS software on my Mac, but the G502 has ZERO Mac support. No way am I going to bind my keys in Windows and then boot to Mac just to use this thing.
I planned to keep the G700S EXCEPT that the LGS software hangs every time I suspend the Mac regardless of how I reinstall or install it. LGS also sometimes forgets my mouse is connected for I don't know what reason except Logitech hates Mac OS.

I think I'll just stick with the RAT, maybe find a MMO7 in black with the softer matte finish for grip.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Might be of interest to some people that woot.com is doing a thing on Razer mice/keyboards/mousepads at the moment, until the 16th:

http://www.woot.com/plus/razer-gaming-accessories-18?ref=gh_w_1_wp_4

I don't know how good the deals are wrt how cheap some of these get anyway, but it might be something to check out if you were going to get a Razer anyway.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I currently have a Microsoft Sidewinder mouse which has been otherwise fantastic with the exception of the fact that the cable which recharges it has died. Are there any good current mice around that have the whole wireless/wired to recharge it thing going on?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

spamman posted:

I currently have a Microsoft Sidewinder mouse which has been otherwise fantastic with the exception of the fact that the cable which recharges it has died. Are there any good current mice around that have the whole wireless/wired to recharge it thing going on?

you'd be better off with a g602, and just replace the batteries every 3 or 4 months when they need it. Rechargeable batteries in other mice last a week or so when new, and eventually need charging every other day, so you end up getting new ones 2 or 3 times a year anyhow. The G602 is also a better mouse than the rechargeable g700s.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 12, 2014

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've been looking at some of the mice recommended in this thread, and while I can see how the extra features would be useful for gaming, I can't say that I need a mouse with a dozen buttons or a super-ergonomic grip anything like that.

I have a Logitech M325, pretty much the most basic mouse out there, and I'd give it a "B-" for performance so far. The laser tracks very well, it glides OK and the battery life is excellent (I forgot that it even used a battery until I looked at it). The issues are that it's just a tad bit small (if I place my palm over it, both the bottom edge of my palm and my fingertips are still touching the mousepad) and that the scroll wheel doesn't scroll that quickly and it stopped middle-clicking reliably after about six months when I click on it.

Here's what I want in a mouse:

- Tracks perfectly
- Glides well
- Clicking is reliable, long-term
- Vertical scroll wheel, can scroll precisely and quickly
- Moderately light
- Excellent battery life
- Wireless
- Side-scrolling or extra buttons are unobtrusive, if present at all

Any recommendations? I imagine that an Intellimouse would be my best option, if it were wireless.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Great call on the G602. I decided on a wireless mouse this time due to all the crap I have on my desk and it's nearly perfect (though a bit heavier than the G9 it replaced). I was also looking at the Sensei Raw wireless due to the dock but it was 4x more expensive with far more basic design and hearing the 602 last for months won me over.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I got a g502. It is nowhere near as comfy as my da2013 and the scroll wheel is terrible. Gonna stick with the DA.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I'd be all over the g602 if it had a tilt wheel, still don't understand why they decided not to include one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Quite a few people dislike the tilt wheel for gaming which is why I guess Logitech is hedging their bets and giving you choices with and without

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
poo poo, I think my G500 is crapping out on me, it double clicks when I single-click, probably 15% of the time or so. I've heard decent things about Logitech's warranty support, but I don't have a proof of purchase or anything like that so I don't know if that would help. (Also I am in Canada, and nobody wants to ship poo poo to Canada) I heard the g500 was discontinued, are there any recommended wired mice with approx the same shape/heft?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

dissss posted:

Quite a few people dislike the tilt wheel for gaming which is why I guess Logitech is hedging their bets and giving you choices with and without

Wait, what do you want if you like the g602 but require a tilt wheel?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, what do you want if you like the g602 but require a tilt wheel?

Buy one of their other mice

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

dissss posted:

Buy one of their other mice

Truly a helpful loving post right here

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

G502, G600, G700s all have tilt wheel. I think that's it out of their current gaming line.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Pivit posted:

I'd be all over the g602 if it had a tilt wheel, still don't understand why they decided not to include one.

Because tilt wheels are useless and annoying as hell?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jan posted:

Because tilt wheels are useless and annoying as hell?

You have no idea how wrong you are. Bind tilt to Ctrl+ PgUp/PgDown. You can now switch tab with the wheel and it's amazing.

Also, "Tilt Right" is one of my most used buttons in any action games I play, because you can activate it without taking your finger off the fire button.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

NihilCredo posted:

You have no idea how wrong you are. Bind tilt to Ctrl+ PgUp/PgDown. You can now switch tab with the wheel and it's amazing.

Also, "Tilt Right" is one of my most used buttons in any action games I play, because you can activate it without taking your finger off the fire button.

This is brilliant, I'm borrowing it. :)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

NihilCredo posted:

This (except I use Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab, as I think that's more universal in applications). It's something that makes the use experience vastly superior, and as much a must-have feature as a scroll wheel and forward/back side buttons.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

GokieKS posted:

This (except I use Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab, as I think that's more universal in applications). It's something that makes the use experience vastly superior, and as much a must-have feature as a scroll wheel and forward/back side buttons.

I use this and while it's kind of nice, most of the time I forget it's there and don't miss it at all. This, coming from someone who uses a shitton of tabs. Most of the time it's just quicker and easier to select the exact tab I want rather than scrolling through them.

I thought I would use the tilt wheel more since the G502 has an actual good one, which is rare as hell. Even after trying to train myself to use it, though, it's still kind of uncomfortable and I can't find any more than trivial applications for it. The best thing I can say about it is that at least the G502's tilt wheel doesn't get in the way if you choose not to use it. :shobon:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

NihilCredo posted:

I'm trying to reproduce that gesture of holding down the left mouse button while tilting right, and I think I just gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome. Why would you subject yourself to such an awkward motion when you can use thumb buttons instead? :psyduck:

As for tab switching... I don't do it nearly enough that I need a mouse shortcut for it. Not going to invent a need I don't have.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
So, wow. I bought a Logitech G602 to replace my Deathadder (I really disliked that thing.) and wow, what a difference. This mouse just feels so, so good. It fits my hand much better than the DA, the buttons click really softly, it has a very nice weight to it and the whole thing just feels like an expensive piece of hardware unlike the DA which felt like a $10 mouse in a $70 package. It's really nice not to have a cable attached to the mouse, and to be honest I can't really tell the difference between "performance" and "endurance" mode, so the batteries should last for a good long while.

Basically, the 602 is the best mouse I've ever used. And to think I replaced my trusty old G5 with the Razer piece of plasticky crap. I will never buy Razer again, ugh.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Replaced my Mamba 2013 recently with a g700s after reading through some reviews. I'm really just not taken with it at all so far. I'm finding the shape of it to be uncomfortable even though I have above average hand size. It feels like it glides less smoothly than the Mamba which resulted in worse tracking for me even though I was using a higher DPI setting. Having two extra side buttons near the thumb rest was a feature I was looking forward to using but so far I've felt that the top two are actually a little difficult to reach due to the overall design of the four button cluster. The bottom two are definitely more convenient to hit, however. Nice to be able to just nudge the thumb up slightly. I have no need for a toggle on the mouse wheel but it is nifty (though it produces a soft rattling constantly...).

The absolute worst thing about it is the mouse cord when you have it plugged in to charge while playing. I always set my cords up with enough slack to easily move around the pad without resistance but the rubber cord rubs against the outer edge of the mouse pad and comes to almost a dead stop with any contact on the outer edges of the pad. The way the contact port for the cord is designed makes it impossible to avoid this on my mouse pad. A simple mesh over the cord would have prevented that and it drives me crazy :(. As far as I know, Razer wireless mice still have a chance to just randomly restart while you are playing due to their garbage Synapse 2.0 software so I don't want to go back to them until that is fixed. I think I am going to return this, pick up a Taipan instead and just deal with wires for a while.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Replaced my Mamba 2013 recently with a g700s after reading through some reviews. I'm really just not taken with it at all so far. I'm finding the shape of it to be uncomfortable even though I have above average hand size. It feels like it glides less smoothly than the Mamba which resulted in worse tracking for me even though I was using a higher DPI setting. Having two extra side buttons near the thumb rest was a feature I was looking forward to using but so far I've felt that the top two are actually a little difficult to reach due to the overall design of the four button cluster. The bottom two are definitely more convenient to hit, however. Nice to be able to just nudge the thumb up slightly. I have no need for a toggle on the mouse wheel but it is nifty (though it produces a soft rattling constantly...).

The absolute worst thing about it is the mouse cord when you have it plugged in to charge while playing. I always set my cords up with enough slack to easily move around the pad without resistance but the rubber cord rubs against the outer edge of the mouse pad and comes to almost a dead stop with any contact on the outer edges of the pad. The way the contact port for the cord is designed makes it impossible to avoid this on my mouse pad. A simple mesh over the cord would have prevented that and it drives me crazy :(. As far as I know, Razer wireless mice still have a chance to just randomly restart while you are playing due to their garbage Synapse 2.0 software so I don't want to go back to them until that is fixed. I think I am going to return this, pick up a Taipan instead and just deal with wires for a while.

You know synapse isn't required to be installed?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do you know of another software suite that will let me program Razer mice? I do a lot of streaming, etc. and often have to rebind mouse buttons to match keyboard macros I set up for different software (Shadowplay twitch streaming, etc).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Do you know of another software suite that will let me program Razer mice? I do a lot of streaming, etc. and often have to rebind mouse buttons to match keyboard macros I set up for different software (Shadowplay twitch streaming, etc).

Ohh not if you have to do all that. That being said ive really had no issues with razors software on my deathadder.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
It is only with the wireless mice, apparently. I was actually looking at an ouroboros elite (yes, lol) but read in reviews that the problem still persists even with that model! You have to manually turn the mouse wireless switch on and off again or reconnect the charging station. This occurs even in wired mode for me and is just horribly annoying considering the amount of cash these cost.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It is only with the wireless mice, apparently. I was actually looking at an ouroboros elite (yes, lol) but read in reviews that the problem still persists even with that model! You have to manually turn the mouse wireless switch on and off again or reconnect the charging station. This occurs even in wired mode for me and is just horribly annoying considering the amount of cash these cost.

The US ouroboros is only laser too, no more optical sensor.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Re: Logitech's super nice sensor, I wonder, is it going to be limited to wired mice because of current draw, or might it find its way onto the next gen 602-inspired mouse? I like nearly everything I hear about the 602.

2500 DPI optical probably contributes to its extraordinary battery life, and just looking at the sensor board on the g502, I reckon it pulls a lot of power that probably would knock that excellent battery life down a lot. With OS/Setpoint pointer sensitivity high on the software side, I imagine 2500DPI is plenty workable, though it'd take a little getting used to... I dunno. I look forward to the mouse that follows the pattern the g602 set up, as it seems to have a very nice integration of overall usability features and a little bit of attention to gamers, which is a good balance and continues what the MX 900/1000 and MX Revo were up to imo.

Even more than the fancy sensor though I'd like for it to have a tilt wheel, since I actually use that all the time and it's a bit of a deal-breaker this generation even though the 602 is, otherwise, a really great looking mouse.

Unrelated question but the topic of the weird wheel made me think of it - I see a lot of people complain about the g502 scroll wheel, but it seems very nice as far as I can tell? It's metal, and that makes it heavy enough to spin forever in free spin mode, but it's still lightweight enough that it never feels difficult to use. It seems to use a very solid tensioning mechanism, too. I am interested to hear what folks don't like about the scroll wheel, because it seems to me like it does all the stuff it's supposed to do in terms of functionality, and it's kinda unusual that "it's made of metal" becomes a complaint about something since in this case all that does (as far as I can tell) is improve its durability. But glad to hear other perspectives.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Agreed posted:

Unrelated question but the topic of the weird wheel made me think of it - I see a lot of people complain about the g502 scroll wheel, but it seems very nice as far as I can tell? It's metal, and that makes it heavy enough to spin forever in free spin mode, but it's still lightweight enough that it never feels difficult to use. It seems to use a very solid tensioning mechanism, too. I am interested to hear what folks don't like about the scroll wheel, because it seems to me like it does all the stuff it's supposed to do in terms of functionality, and it's kinda unusual that "it's made of metal" becomes a complaint about something since in this case all that does (as far as I can tell) is improve its durability. But glad to hear other perspectives.

The G502 scroll wheel doesn't feel solid at all. When its not in free spin mode it feels loose as a goose.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Don Lapre posted:

The G502 scroll wheel doesn't feel solid at all. When its not in free spin mode it feels loose as a goose.

Mine is perfectly fine. It has a slight bit of travel side to side, but since it's a tilting wheel that's to be expected, and does not affect my use of the wheel in the least bit. Sounds like you may just have gotten a bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GokieKS posted:

Mine is perfectly fine. It has a slight bit of travel side to side, but since it's a tilting wheel that's to be expected, and does not affect my use of the wheel in the least bit. Sounds like you may just have gotten a bad one.

The demo unit and mine both seemed the same. When i turn the wheel to the next click it almost feels like its going to overshoot and then settles back into place. Its not nearly as precise as my DA2013.