Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Red posted:

But it gets worse than that:

And then it gets worse than that.

Wow, Goons really do ruin everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Sharon started out as one of those characters you saw in the late '70s/early '80s who were an old man's idea of what second-wave feminists were like: Constantly yelling about how they hated men, and doomed to be "redeemed" by falling in love with the male hero. And she was originally Carol Danvers's replacement as Ms. Marvel. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Red posted:

But it gets worse than that:

And then it gets worse than that.

But did she ever get super fat because of a writer's fetish?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

WickedHate posted:

But did she ever get super fat because of a writer's fetish?

Well

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Given the previous panels with She-Thing, I can only read this as angry, bitter laughter shouted in monotone.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Since there's a bit of a revival of the end of Superior Spider Man in the funny panels thread, thought I'd post the flip-side of that with the touching page that leads up to it:

And the aftermath:

Like I said in the other thread, the whole point of Superior Spider-Man is that Otto is Spider-Man. He's a terrible one that fucks everything up, but it's his show from beginning to end. Parker's just there to clean up his mess at the end, Otto's final sacrifice is what saves the day. That's also why it's important that Parker's victory over Osbourne is through Otto's spider-bots, using Otto's goblin cure. It shows that not everything he created is bad, he just wasn't applying them correctly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Superior Spider-man is so bad. Jesus.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Maybe but it's the freshest Spiderman had been in fifteen years

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man exists

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I stand by what I said

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd possibly be more impressed by Superior Spider-Man if it hadn't been running alongside Scarlet Spider which did the story of an ex-supervillain Spider-Man redeeming himself through interactions with other people infinitely better than Superior Spider-Man did.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Well don't post panels of it or anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mind the walrus posted:

A slightly different tired cliche is not what I would call fresh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That speaks more to the state of Spiderman comics overall than anything

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I feel like Superior Spider Man and Scarlet Spider were two sides of the same coin, really. Otto was a deranged genius who wanted to be a superhero to stoke his superiority complex. Kaine was a victimized lab rat who didn't want to be a superhero because he had a pretty deep inferiority complex. Yes, they were both "Spider-Man, but played by a villain!" but wildly different in their own ways. Kaine had a strong moral center but constantly bucked against it because of his dark past. He wanted to be a better person. He didn't kill. Otto had a black hole for a soul but tried his best to wallpaper over that with a Peter Parkery flaky crust. He wanted the easy way out out. He killed.

What I'm trying to get at is that they scratched very different itches. SSS was a redemption story, Scarlet Spider was not. Kaine didn't need redemption, he'd already been redeemed by Spider-Man. The only thing he needed was to forgive and come to terms with himself. Otto needed to learn to be a better person. Kaine needed to understand that he already was a good person.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

That speaks more to the state of Spiderman comics overall than anything

True.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Well don't post panels of it or anything

Captain Bravo posted:

Kaine needed to understand that he already was a good person.

The interesting thing about Kaine was that he wasn't necessarily a good person. He was brutal, violent and without responsibility but also not heartless. He wanted to be a good person but was haunted by his own impulses, the literal monster inside of him, and his past, all of which hurt his attempts to be someone else. it would have been just as easy for Kaine to give up and go off to Mexico (which is what happens at the end of the series, though admittedly to set up New Warriors) rather than continue to struggle with the difficulty and pain of being a hero.

It's a lot more interesting to me and I don't think it's a different side of the same coin. I think it's just much better executed. Superior Spider-Man on the other hand is just "haha, I'm a supervillain but I'm Spider-Man!!"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Bravo posted:

Otto had a black hole for a soul but tried his best to wallpaper over that with a Peter Parkery flaky crust.

Now I want an SSM Hostess fruit pie ad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kaine may have gotten a second chance at life and been mystically cleansed and all that but you can't shrug off the kind of monstrosities he did as a villain and say you're a good guy now. Sure, I rooted for him in his book, but the question "Can I be a good person" is a real one when you were an unrepentant murderer for like a decade (or 2 months or however the sliding timeline works).

mind the walrus posted:

:jerkbag:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I admit that I may not have the best grasp on Kaine as a character, since I haven't read much from the clone saga issues. The only series I've stuck with that had him in it, honestly, was Scarlet Spider. But if I'm not wrong, wasn't the insanity, the bloodthirst, and the hosed-up appearance all part-and-parcel from the jackal's experiments? Yeah, he wasn't a nice guy and he didn't do nice things, but wasn't his brain basically in a constant state of rotting from within? From the first issue of Scarlet Spider, he's tormented by the things he did, he's convinced that he's not a nice guy and that any nice things he does are a side-effect of meeting Pete, and yet he still acts instinctively as a hero.

Yeah, he bitches about it constantly. Yeah, he talks a lot of talk about wanting to cut and run. That's the archetype of an antihero. But when he finds a half-dead woman in a crate he doesn't quibble, he doesn't think, he immediately grabs her, rushes her to a hospital, and assaults a cop to make them help her. Once he's healthy, he instinctively and naturally does the right thing, all his talk about not wanting responsibility is just a hang-up from his memories and guilt of the past.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He was in a lot of physical pain + his heightened spider-powers occasionally made it hard to be 100% sure about reality, but he wasn't 'crazy from the jackal's experiments'. He did all that poo poo on his own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Kaine may have gotten a second chance at life and been mystically cleansed and all that but you can't shrug off the kind of monstrosities he did as a villain and say you're a good guy now. Sure, I rooted for him in his book, but the question "Can I be a good person" is a real one when you were an unrepentant murderer for like a decade (or 2 months or however the sliding timeline works).

:jerkbag:

It's also worth remembering that Kaine was passed down (from near word of God none the less) that he existed because he could be the blighted murdering bastard that Peter Parker never could and he specifically could not be the hero Peter was because Peter needed to remain unsullied because ~plot device.~ And for good or ill he's the kind of dude who does stuff that event Agent Venom finds abhorrent, regardless of how justified lobotomizing Carnage might seem.

Kaine was a murderer, an assassin, and an all-around rear end in a top hat who veered between selfish and basically 90s Venom and "can this guy actually be a hero instead of merely someone who kills bad people' is an ongoing part of his entire book that he isn't just a good guy in a bad lot but someone who genuinely did very bad things but with a spark of something more in him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 13, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vision #11. Things get much worse.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Did Tony really expect Vision was gonna just let him walk up and slap that thing on him? After everything that happened? :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Did Tony really expect Vision was gonna just let him walk up and slap that thing on him? After everything that happened? :smith:

It helps to remember that despite being a genius, Tony is kind of an idiot. He's treating Vis like a machine that's malfunctioning, not a person that's struggling to cope with the death of a loved one. :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I get that what I'm about to say is silly and the plot point is to remind everyone how scary powerful Vision really is... but I see Thor, Blue Marvel, Captain Marvel. Dr. Strange, and Spectrum. That's enough to at least get him to a standstill, and that's before you count auxiliary player potential like science crap from Spidey/Beast. Thematically it all works as a story and that's what matters... but contextually it's really only a half-step up from the Deathstroke fight in Identity Crisis.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vision has the power of good writing, not complete bullshit like IC.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Is it good writing if it's still contrived?

A :goonsay: koan

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

mind the walrus posted:

Is it good writing if it's still contrived?

A :goonsay: koan

The dude has dropped a Hyperion instantly, he's not in the same scale as Deathstroke. 90% of the people on that roof are completely chumped by him, and if the the rest haven't come prepared to throw down instantly and with real force he can skate through them too. He's scary strong when he wants to be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

The dude has dropped a Hyperion instantly, he's not in the same scale as Deathstroke. 90% of the people on that roof are completely chumped by him, and if the the rest haven't come prepared to throw down instantly and with real force he can skate through them too. He's scary strong when he wants to be.

Not to mention the Vision can become intangible. He could have gone into that cell and killed Victor without any of them knowing. But if he does just up and kill Victor, he knows his friends will have to hunt him down and try to take him and whether or not they succeed many of them will get hurt. So he's presenting his reasons for killing Victor logically and asking them to step aside because it's the right thing to do.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Counterpoint: Tony and his ilk are consistently more dangerous than the dude in the cell. Seeing as the dude was operating under their authority, Vision should just carve a swath through them, anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vision has always been kind of like Martian Manhunter in that his power set is absolutely absurd but he isn't popular enough to get it treated like it should be.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Vision has always been kind of like Martian Manhunter in that his power set is absolutely absurd but he isn't popular enough to get it treated like it should be.

That's the exact comparison I was making in my head while reading this discussion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Much like Martian Manhunter, Vision gets taken out really fast in most Avengers stories.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

All true; all valid. I'm just saying that given the total combined strength of his opponents it shouldn't be nearly as one-sided as everyone is making it out to be.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Maybe he wants to lose.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That's even worse! Suicide By Friends :cry:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch