Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Ooni is being a big tease about a launch of something in early March. Anyone care to speculate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

made a few over last weekend. I used to mess around with 80% hydration (offset with 2% psyllium husk to make the dough more manageable) since my old oven didn't quite get the temperatures I was after, but I switched to around 65-70% once I got a new oven. Might stay at 80% now, this batch turned out real nice

Margherita (forgive the wanky crust shot, figured out how to use the cropping tool)

Prosciutto di Parma, rocket

Ventricina and rocket

Another marg

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

bolind posted:

Ooni is being a big tease about a launch of something in early March. Anyone care to speculate?

An electric offering to compete with the likes of Effueno, or a Koda V2 that comes standard with biscotto.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

GramCracker posted:

I hadn't made pizza at home in a long rear end time, and I had the apartment to myself for the evening so I whipped up a pie...as one does.

[delicious pictures]

While eating, I came to the conclusion that I put too much fresh chopped garlic on it and could probably do less or none at all. I also managed to get a can of Bianco whole peeled tomatoes and drat were they freakin' amazing, what a difference they make.

I also came to the realization that I need to just start making dough myself :negative:

Are those little meatballs on top? What'd you do in terms of spices and prep? I always struggle a bit with getting beef to have a lot of flavour on pizzas.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm at Yukon Pizza right now and I'm super excited to taste this Margherita pie that's coming my way soon

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm at Yukon Pizza right now and I'm super excited to taste this Margherita pie that's coming my way soon

real jealous of this goon stuffing his face with goon pizza right now

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You should be. I'm not even a fan of Neopolitan, and I would come back and order the Neopolitan again. Great crust texture and the bottom wasn't floppy! Sauce was potent tasting but not overpowering. Fries were surprisingly (or not) treated with as much care as the pizza. They didn't get soggy!

All in all, not quite worth the $300 round trip flight for the pizza alone, but an excellent way to take advantage of a flight delay.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I am feeling so drat grateful for all the goons coming through and supporting!! It means the world. HC you were a gem, I am so sorry I couldn’t talk with you more - today was just a real poo poo day for me as we were dealing with a clogged toilet and other issues behind the scenes! I hope you made it back home and to see you again soon.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I've been moving away from Neopolitan, mostly because I deeply regret getting a tiny, outdoor, wood-burning oven (I should have splurged and bought a huge, gas-burning one, instead). The one I have (Pizza Party 70x70) is just way too small to comfortably cook pies in - it doesn't retain heat, requires fastidious wood management, and is just too much of a schlep to be worth it.

Instead I've been working on a deck-oven style, corner slice kind of pie. I like the results.

And yes, (fresh) pineapple belongs on pizza.

This one was insane, though, probably the best pizza I've ever made:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Oh that looks good, tell me more, I wanna know the meatballs and the cheese and the sauce you used.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ogopogo posted:

I am feeling so drat grateful for all the goons coming through and supporting!! It means the world. HC you were a gem, I am so sorry I couldn’t talk with you more - today was just a real poo poo day for me as we were dealing with a clogged toilet and other issues behind the scenes! I hope you made it back home and to see you again soon.

My coworker checked you out this week as well. Sounds like you've got some great poo poo going on over there!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpAx1LVJFlL/

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Transformation pics:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
King Arthur 00 flour is amazing. Kenji's nyp recipe

Second one is topped with Thai chicken satay and peanut sauce instead of pizza sauce

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Why do I burn my pizza in my Ooni but get great pizza from my convection oven?

My regular pizza dough: 66% hydration. 3% salt. 3% malt powder. 1% yeast. Fermented in the refrigerator for 24-72 hours.

Here are photos of pizzas I made from the same batch of dough.

This image, with broccoli, was cooked on a pizza stone in my oven. 550 degrees for 12 minutes.
It looked and tasted great. The dough started to change color just as the cheese fully melted. It's not the best pizza I've ever made, but you can tell it turned out well.

These images are from two pizzas I made in my Ooni. The gas was turned down just above the lowest possible setting. An IR thermometer showed a range of 500-650 degrees on the stone. They were cooked 90 seconds per side.
For both pizzas, the outside of the crust facing the flame was completely blackened. I didn't push the pizza far back into the oven. In fact, I kept it close to the opening. Yet, the flames turned one side to ash.
As you can see on the bottom photo, the exterior burned to ash before the interior had cooked, and even before the cheese had melted.
This was the exact same batch of dough (and cheese, and sauce) as the oven-baked pizza above. So why is everything I cook on the Ooni getting destroyed?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The Ooni is much, much hotter. The stone may be only reading 550, but the direct heat from the element is way hotter. 90 seconds per side is much too long for the Ooni.

I’m on my phone right now so I can’t give a full write up, but the Ooni is for Neapolitan style pizza, and you should be aiming for under 90 seconds TOTAL in the oven. There is a ton of good info out there for this style, and the Ooni specifically. I’m happy to do a quick write up after work today if nobody else beats me to it.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

The Ooni is much, much hotter. The stone may be only reading 550, but the direct heat from the element is way hotter. 90 seconds per side is much too long for the Ooni.

I’m on my phone right now so I can’t give a full write up, but the Ooni is for Neapolitan style pizza, and you should be aiming for under 90 seconds TOTAL in the oven. There is a ton of good info out there for this style, and the Ooni specifically. I’m happy to do a quick write up after work today if nobody else beats me to it.

I thought the time was too long for the dough. However, the interior of the dough never fully cooks. It's like squishy raw dough on the inside and blackened ash on the outside. Plus, this all happens before the cheese or toppings melt or cook.

That's where I'm confused. If I shorten the cook time, I'll prevent the crust from burning. But I'll have raw dough and chunks of unmelted cheese.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bagheera posted:

I thought the time was too long for the dough. However, the interior of the dough never fully cooks. It's like squishy raw dough on the inside and blackened ash on the outside. Plus, this all happens before the cheese or toppings melt or cook.

That's where I'm confused. If I shorten the cook time, I'll prevent the crust from burning. But I'll have raw dough and chunks of unmelted cheese.

So, this is where it gets a little counterintuitive. You want to turn up the flame on the Ooni. I am not a heat scientist, but it's my understanding that radiant heat from the actual flame penetrates the crust and cooks it from the inside more effectively. A hotter floor temp will also cook everything from the bottom much faster, but takes much longer to burn due to trapped steam on the bottom.

You do want to go smaller on the chunks of cheese and toppings though. A proper cook in an 800+ Ooni or other pizza oven will not be able to melt a big chunk of cheese, or cook a big chunk of meat in the time that it has. You can pull the pizza to the very outside edge of the Ooni where it is a lower temp to give them toppings a little more time to cook without burning the crust though too. Turning more frequently is also your friend. I usually do like 20 seconds, 1/3rd turn, 20 seconds, 1/3rd turn, 20 seconds, turn to wherever still needs some more color.

Edit: Hard to tell from the shots you posted, but you also want to make sure that the dough is really well proved, and high enough hydration. Dense dough will not cook nearly as fast. You will also need higher hydration than a dough you intent to put in a 550 indoor oven.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 28, 2023

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Bagheera posted:

To me it sounds like the main issue is not turning the pizza enough. Instead of cooking one side and then the other, try rotating the pizza a little bit every few seconds.

What works for me is to get the stone preheated (700-750 is what I shoot for), launch the pizza, then turn the oven off completely until the bottom is set enough to start turning. Then the oven goes back on low and the pizza gets turned until it's done, which usually takes about 2 minutes for me. If the bottom finishes before the top, get the pizza on the peel and cook it off the stone until it's done.

It can also be helpful to use the ultra-low setting on the oven with the knob between high and off if you're still having issues with burning.

I'd also recommend upping the hydration, the recipe I use in the Ooni is about 71%.

Lastly, it's a little hard to tell in the pictures but it seems like the interior of the pizza is too thick, which will make it a lot harder to cook properly. Try pressing out the dough as thin as you can without making holes.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

PurpleXVI posted:

Are those little meatballs on top? What'd you do in terms of spices and prep? I always struggle a bit with getting beef to have a lot of flavour on pizzas.

They are pinches of sausages that I picked up from Whole Foods....but now you have me thinking about doing a meatball and onion pie.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Bagheera posted:

My regular pizza dough: 66% hydration. 3% salt. 3% malt powder. 1% yeast. Fermented in the refrigerator for 24-72 hours.

Maybe try a batch without the malt powder?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The rule of thumb as told to me by a pizza maker - the hotter the oven, the thinner the pizza crust. It's been accurate.

Also learned that it's perfectly okay (especially high temp ovens) to rotate the pizza as soon as you're able to - and by that I mean is: if you like tap the pizza, does it release from the floor and move, if so, rotate!

Of course, I've got a monster of a wood oven that I can easily put to 800-900+f and pizzas take ~60-90s to cook completely. My process is basically throw the pizza in, put down the peel and grab the poker stick to grab and rotate the pizza, then get the peel again and take pizza out.

Edit: You've got an Ooni, but in mine if I do anything longer cook, I actually put something (brick/log/something/whatever) between the fire and the pizza so the heat isn't fully direct from the flames. When roasting chicken it's surprising the difference even a piece of foil laying on top will stop the oven burning the skin.

unknown fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 1, 2023

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I'll make some new dough and try again with the Ooni on Friday.
I'll bump the hydration up to 80%. That might be too much, but these are throwaway pizzas just for experimentation.
I'll also get the dough as thin as I can. And I'll put tiny chunks of mozzarella.
Finally, I'll put the Ooni on max heat and turn every 10-20 seconds.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I suspect 80% hydration is going to make you want to murder somebody with how sticky it will be. I tried it before and had to fling some hockey pucks over the fence (still my yard). Going by the picture, it looks like you do get browning on your outer crust to go along with the black. So I'm fixating on the flour. I would recommend against the malted powder at the temperatures you're using. If you want to isolate the flour, I'd use a lean dough made from Caputo blue label--and very specifically blue label. The red label is meant for lower temperatures and encourages proper browning from a weaker oven. I get a lot of vibes in the contrast of your success between your regular oven and your pizza oven based on that.

There is also a matter of technique. I don't know how much play space you get in your Ooni but you can try this:
1. Insert it initially deep and get that bottom crust to immediately warm up and pull off the floor. Do this for ~10-20 seconds.
2. Pull it back to a shallow spot--possibly partially out of the oven, and spin it on a peel to evenly toast it all up.

It's hard to tell from the pictures if the dough is properly thin. There's a trick there. If you're rolling the dough out, you can theoretically get it thinner as measurement but it has as much dough in volume as a thicker crust pizza because the dough is just getting rammed together.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GramCracker posted:

They are pinches of sausages that I picked up from Whole Foods....but now you have me thinking about doing a meatball and onion pie.

If you're thinkin meatballs, give this a try:

Meatball, pesto, goat cheese, and a balsamic drizzle when it comes out of the oven. Works great with red sauce or just garlic/olive oil.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I do around 60% hydration for my Ooni dough. My understanding is one of the advantages of cooking at 900F+ is the ability to use a lower hydration dough than you would baking at home oven temperatures (where I see recipes calling for ~70%+) without the crust drying out due to the much faster bake time. FWIW "authentic" Neapolitan dough (according to AVPN) is supposed to be in the ~55-62% range IIRC. No need to follow those guidelines if you want the results of a higher hydration dough, point is just that you shouldn't need to go with 70-80% hydration for the sole purpose of avoiding burning the crust.

With the Ooni I do start turning my pizza pretty much as soon as it releases from the stone, and do a bunch of smaller turns (like 1/4 turn or less) while it bakes rather than just 1 or 2 big turns.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I've nowhere near mastered my Roccbox, but after about 20 secs, I'm more or less rotating my pizza constantly until it comes out.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
With my ooni, my best pizzas have been from dough my breadbaker background thinks is horrifically overproofed and undermixed.

I do a 60% hydration dough, mix to combine with cold water, and straight to the fridge. 2 days in the fridge with daily turn and fold, then cut to size, ball ,and rise in a warm location.

I let them rise until they start to fall and form a skin on top of the ball, then flip skin side down to heavily cornmeal the sticky bottom. I toss to shape, then bake with the skin side down.

When they go in, the dough looks basically flat

Until I got the it nailed, I used a very stingy hand with the toppings, especially sauce.

I think the malt powder may also be trouble.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

thotsky posted:

An electric offering to compete with the likes of Effueno, or a Koda V2 that comes standard with biscotto.

Dingdingding!

https://ooni.com/pages/explore-ooni-volt

Ooni Volt. Electric indoor (and outdoor). A cool thousand bucks.

Apart from having nowhere to store it, I’m not quite sure if it’s for me.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This might be a good option for 110V countries but the effeuno is cheaper, has a better stone and a larger pizza diameter if you've access to 220-240v. It'll take up more counter space though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bolind posted:

Dingdingding!

https://ooni.com/pages/explore-ooni-volt

Ooni Volt. Electric indoor (and outdoor). A cool thousand bucks.

Apart from having nowhere to store it, I’m not quite sure if it’s for me.

”Ooni Webpage” posted:

Make awesome pizza in your kitchen or backyard
without burning any fuel.

The new Ooni Volt: Our first perpetual motion pizza oven.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Had an interesting topping combination at a restaurant this evening: standard margherita with some raisins, parmesan and burrata added. The raisins nicely offset the parmesan, worth a try if you want to mix things up a bit

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

distortion park posted:

Had an interesting topping combination at a restaurant this evening: standard margherita with some raisins, parmesan and burrata added. The raisins nicely offset the parmesan, worth a try if you want to mix things up a bit

I could see that working with anchovies and pine nuts up in there too, a kind of sicilian take on it.

Went trad pepperoni tonight:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

My main challenge with pepperoni pizza is that I feel like no matter what brand of pep I pick, it ends up becoming a bit of a greasy mess.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Same tbh. There were some good suggestions upthread I've been meaning to try, like gently microwaving the slices on kitchen towel to soak out some of the grease before use.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not that it's not greasy but I've been buying pepperoni from tempesta and it's so loving amazing. Great nduja too.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh that looks good, tell me more, I wanna know the meatballs and the cheese and the sauce you used.

The meatballs are actually just bulk Italian sausage; I like to put it on in irregular chunks like that.

The cheese I use is a bit upthread; it's Bella Rosano whole milk mozzarella from Costco. I think only the business centers sell it; it comes in 6 LB blocks. It's by far the best dry mozzarella I've tried for pizza.

The sauce is a modification of Kenji's NY pizza sauce. I start with olive oil/butter, sweat some garlic until the pungent, acidic aroma dissipates, then add dry oregano and fry for 30 seconds or so. I puree 2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes and toss that in. At this point I taste for bitterness, and add sugar a little bit at a time until the bitterness isn't detectable. For really good tomatoes this takes zero to maybe a teaspoon of sugar, but it varies can-to-can. I then add about 1/4 cup of Vietnamese fish sauce, some black pepper, and let it roll at a full boil for about 30 minutes or until the fat is emulsified and the sauce is as thick as I like.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

forbidden dialectics posted:

The sauce is a modification of Kenji's NY pizza sauce. I start with olive oil/butter, sweat some garlic until the pungent, acidic aroma dissipates,

Whenever I've combined butter and garlic in any dish, it's somehow obliterated the... garlicness completely. Don't ask me about the exact mechanism of it, but it seems like it happens 100% of the time for me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My young cooking disaster in the general category of "using salt instead of sugar" and such was seeing a scalloped potato recipe calling for 3 cloves of garlic and using 3 heads instead.

I actually kind of liked it! Who knew if you added so much garlic, it would become spicy!

So yeah, just use more garlic when there's some butter involved. Like, three heads.

Edit: I was not a hit with everybody around me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I routinely double the garlic portion of western/European recipes. There’s usually not enough garlic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've heard some stuff about supermarket garlic just getting weaker. We did grow some ourselves two years ago that had some serious firepower, but we had tried a pile of varietals and I couldn't tell you what had the most pop. They generally grew smaller, and it was easier to just run them through a garlic press than mince with a knife. I believe the press brings things out more too, so that muddies it even further.