Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
6 long and painful days left until we leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Fast pass line for safaris is insane at this minute. Watching the insanity from a comfortable perch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah if you ever have an on the hour fast pass just wait 15:20 minutes for the rush to die down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anya posted:

Fast pass line for safaris is insane at this minute. Watching the insanity from a comfortable perch.

On a similar note, last weekend I went to Halloween Horror Nights with some friends from New Jersey and we got Express passes to get them through everything. The Express line for Insidious was a good hour long. The regular line was over 2 hours.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Epcot is packed today. Dole whip with rum acquired. Very tasty. Anyone know if the construction between Mexico and Norway is the ride or the meet and greet building?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
New thread rule: if you post from the parks, you gotta post pics.
:getin:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mykkel posted:

Epcot is packed today. Dole whip with rum acquired. Very tasty. Anyone know if the construction between Mexico and Norway is the ride or the meet and greet building?

Both if the picture I saw was accurate.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

New thread rule: if you post from the parks, you gotta post pics.
:getin:

Has the Wifi gotten better? When we first stayed in 2012, the wifi was weak at the resort, and SomethingAwful was blocked as an adult site.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Last year I found wifi coverage to be solid but I had some issues with drops with seemingly good signal. This could be due to some infrastructure gaps or channel overlap (which really shouldn't happen with a large commercial setup like that). Every year we have gone in the past 3 years, I feel like their service has gotten better, for what it's worth.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Has the Wifi gotten better? When we first stayed in 2012, the wifi was weak at the resort, and SomethingAwful was blocked as an adult site.

Just loaded it in Disney Springs with no issue. The coverage and speed is much better these days.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a movie theatre at Disney? There must be, right? I just realized star wars comes out when we're there

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There is, and they're showing Star Wars a day early :D

https://www.amctheatres.com/StarWarsWDW (link isn't live yet)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bottom Liner posted:

Just loaded it in Disney Springs with no issue. The coverage and speed is much better these days.

Good to know, thanks!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yo Disneyland, get your poo poo together. Only been here a day, but everything is a lot looser and just generally not as well maintained or run as anything at Disney World. Phone posting while waiting for Fantasmic right now, so I'll wait until later to go into more detail.

Also, it was hella crowded today. I hope tomorrow and Tuesday are emptier.

Oh, and to comply with new thread rules:

It's dark, what more do you want

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 19, 2015

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The forums app works in all parks and resorts that I've been in this week. AK was excellent. Wish I had a couple more days, I'd like to spend more time wandering around, but the safari and Everest were tremendous. Hit Everest and toy story 2x each today. Time to geek out in MK all tomorrow.

The app hates me and won't let me upload my sweet pics.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Bottom Liner posted:

There is, and they're showing Star Wars a day early :D

https://www.amctheatres.com/StarWarsWDW (link isn't live yet)

Ugh it's so tempting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anya posted:

Hit Everest and toy story 2x each today.

drat, you did well. How were the crowds today? For some reason Disney Springs was insane tonight. No parking and huge crowds. I did manage to snag reservations for Morimoto's Asia for next month though :D

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
AK was fine. Busy but easy to manage and the single rider line was posted at 15, but running at 8, so I doubled that and didn't use my fast pass. Went to EMH at HS with the express intention of doing Toy Story. Waits were 85-45-20-30 and I hit it at the 45 and 20 times, around 940 and 1040. Single rider is the best thing ever, gets me in all kinds of spots. Today, space mountain, BoG, and just putzing around the shops in MK. I've hit everything I wanted - and realized my inner ears can't handle serious spins any more, I almost got a little queasy Saturday on Star Tours- and back to back Everest shook me a little. At 31, I'm sadly old.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yo Disneyland, get your poo poo together. Only been here a day, but everything is a lot looser and just generally not as well maintained or run as anything at Disney World. Phone posting while waiting for Fantasmic right now, so I'll wait until later to go into more detail.

Also, it was hella crowded today. I hope tomorrow and Tuesday are emptier.

Disneyland is competely overrun with Annual Assholes... the slowest times are basically Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday morning and early afternoon.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poolside toaster posted:

Disneyland is competely overrun with Annual Assholes

I don't know why, but this made me laugh.

edit: I'd really like to take my son to Cars Land before he's too old to really lose his mind over it, but I dunno about Disneyland. He's a huge Lightning McQueen fan though.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 19, 2015

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

We check into the Poly 3 weeks from today. I've got my Magic Bands. I've got my decals for my Magic Bands. Everything's paid for. I just need to BE THERE ALREADY WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT?

My kids are already over hearing me talk about our trip. I'm more excited and anxious than they are.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Braksgirl - the 7 hour tour for mom was a bad idea (for my phone life). We have a group text of me, mom, dad, sister - mom won't stop blowing it up with all the new things she's learning. She's loving it.

Oh, and

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Oh wow! I'm so glad she's having a great time!

I swear to everything holy, if I don't get a BOG lunch reservation, I'm going to be so sad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anya posted:

Braksgirl - the 7 hour tour for mom was a bad idea (for my phone life). We have a group text of me, mom, dad, sister - mom won't stop blowing it up with all the new things she's learning. She's loving it.

Oh, and

Hell yeah, that's my exact order at BoG lunches. The potato and leek soup is also amazing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just don't get the hype around BOG.

My wife and I ate dinner there last month, and it really didn't blow me away. We were in the "dark" side room, but the crowd and noise ruined any ambiance.

The food was good but expensive, and we had better meals at other places for a similar price. I'd much sooner go to Ohana or Restaurant Marrakesh for a full-service meal.

Is it supposed to be better at lunch (at least from a value standpoint)?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

WhiteHowler posted:

I just don't get the hype around BOG.

My wife and I ate dinner there last month, and it really didn't blow me away. We were in the "dark" side room, but the crowd and noise ruined any ambiance.

The food was good but expensive, and we had better meals at other places for a similar price. I'd much sooner go to Ohana or Restaurant Marrakesh for a full-service meal.

Is it supposed to be better at lunch (at least from a value standpoint)?

We're doing the quick service dining plan for the last part of our trip (split stay) and I do think that that's a better value than paying out of pocket for BOG lunch. I'm the only one in my family that's been to BOG so I'd really just like my husband and kids to experience it. Do I think the food is that much better than anywhere else? Maybe not, but to me the building and themeing is impeccable. I was in the library section on a less crowded day and I loved it. I want to do the West Wing next time.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Braksgirl posted:

We're doing the quick service dining plan for the last part of our trip (split stay) and I do think that that's a better value than paying out of pocket for BOG lunch. I'm the only one in my family that's been to BOG so I'd really just like my husband and kids to experience it. Do I think the food is that much better than anywhere else? Maybe not, but to me the building and themeing is impeccable. I was in the library section on a less crowded day and I loved it. I want to do the West Wing next time.
I think maybe we weren't in the best wing. A stormy, spooky, dark dining room just doesn't work when there's a birthday party with half a dozen kids and camera flashes going off every five seconds. It was so loud in there that we couldn't really have a conversation.

Oddly, the hall across from us (the one with the "dancing" Belle and Beast in the center) was completely empty. All of the tables were set, but there were no people at all. It was very odd, since the place was supposedly completely booked for lunch and dinner that day.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I like BOG, the food is good for on property, and the detail of the castle is amazing. When we went for dinner we had a table in the West Wing next to the fireplace, rose, and painting and the traffic from the people wanting see the aforementioned items was a bit distracting. The kids didn't care for the thunder sounds either, took them about 20 minutes to settle down and get used to it.

I mean yeah, I've had better meals, and yeah the crowds suck. Having dozens of people walk past you while you're eating to take a picture next to the Rose is distracting while you're trying to enjoy an expensive meal, but poo poo, you're having dinner in the castle from Beauty and the Beast! How cool is that?

Also I personally don't compare Disney food to other restaurants on price point basis. No themed dining at Disney is 'worth it' or 'a good value'. I generally attribute 50% of the cost of the meal to the characters, location, and themed atmosphere. We have breakfast reservations at Cinderella's Royal Table next trip, and I'm in no way happy about paying over 250 dollars for us to eat about 14 dollars worth of breakfast foods, BUT my little girl is only little for so long, and taking your 6 year old to have breakfast IN Cinderella's Castle, with Cinderella there is basically a priceless experience, so Disney gets the money.

If anyone cares we scored the table the waiter is standing next to in this photos
http://imgur.com/M1vTlBh

WhiteHowler posted:

Oddly, the hall across from us (the one with the "dancing" Belle and Beast in the center) was completely empty. All of the tables were set, but there were no people at all. It was very odd, since the place was supposedly completely booked for lunch and dinner that day.

I'm not sure they've ever opened that up for normal service, I think I read somewhere that the kitchen just can't handle that many people so they only seat the West Wing and the Ballroom.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 19, 2015

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
All three were being used at lunch today. I ate in the west wing because it's forbidden! And yeah, it's expensive, but I'm in a theme park. The ambiance and knowing that 7 year old me is happy made it all worth it.
The Mickey meet and greet blew me away. I teared up just watching him interact with everyone, including a group from Brazil - he spoke Portuguese to them and I about lost it. I have never felt so special and unique like that, but it was awesome. The training and showmanship for a character is excellent, I applaud them all.

And I've never been in a place where you strike up conversation with random people, but this is the place for it. Must be the magic.

Anya fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 19, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It was definitely open in late 2012 for dinner, but that was during the New Fantasyland soft opening stuff so they were probably figuring things out. The ballroom is actually my favorite place to eat, you feel like you're attending a big celebration and the room is gorgeous as is the snow falling outside the windows. It's also so big and expansive that you have a bit more privacy at each individual table. As for value, the lunch is pretty fairly priced compared to other quick service options for what you're getting (higher quality, smaller portions). The dinner is right on par with other similar dining locations and the food is just as good if not better as most table service options. The lamb is especially great. Breakfast is a ripoff, $20 a head for a bunch of premade stuff and not nearly big enough portions to justify the price.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I agree about breakfast. I could have gotten a breakfast res easily but I really want lunch.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I've got breakfast tomorrow and I'm going to eat in the ballroom. It looks decent enough and what the hell, it's my last morning in WDW before I fly out. I'm glad I pulled off both though. I wouldn't have done just breakfast.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I've never not eaten at BOG where the entire dining room is not in service.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

See ya tomorrow Orlando! Looks like we will be hitting Universal for a few days, Animal Kingdom, Food and wine at epcot, a tequila mixology thing at epcot, Magic kingdom for a day, and the Halloween party on sunday. Protip: It's actually only slightly more expensive to get a universal AP than a couple of days would run you. e will probably be back in January for the HP thing, so it's saving us a chunk of change too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Old Man Pants posted:

See ya tomorrow Orlando! Looks like we will be hitting Universal for a few days, Animal Kingdom, Food and wine at epcot, a tequila mixology thing at epcot, Magic kingdom for a day, and the Halloween party on sunday. Protip: It's actually only slightly more expensive to get a universal AP than a couple of days would run you. e will probably be back in January for the HP thing, so it's saving us a chunk of change too.

Monthly payments are a big boon to annual passholders. It's the same with Six Flags. I only go a few times a year, but it's good for all of their parks around the country and costs less than the total number of my visits in 2015 have been.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah, we went to Magic Mountain when we were in California and ended up getting season passes because it was the price of a single day plus parking. So now we might hit up Six Flags Over Georgia.

Universal did just jack their annual pass rates but so far it looks like I'm paying the old rate still... It was an increase of about 30% for me so I'm happy it hasn't kicked in yet.

I managed to resist buying tickets to the hard ticket force awakens party. I'm flying back from California that day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, it's not actually a day early so we just grabbed tickets to a 7pm RPX showing with reserved seats. Incredibly hyped.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Riding the bus to the airport now. Definitely one of the greatest vacations I've ever done. I would say the ultimate highlight for me was the focus on creating the magic for all ages - and the attention to creating an experience for the little ones during character meets. I teared up a bunch, just watching tiny kids interact with their favorite person. Mickey was the ultimate - it was literally an amazing experience, and for 3-5 min I was the only person that mattered. Whoever does the training for the character actors - they do an amazing job.

I'll be back.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Braksgirl I was listening to your newest podcast and one of you guys mentioned shipping stuff from Amazon to your room; is it literally as easy as just shipping it ot the front desk?

Also does Pop Century have laundry facilities?

Thanks guys :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Pop Century has three themed laundry facilities at the resort for your enjoyment.