Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

I can't test right now but I think $parent.index would give you the index you want.
Thanks for pointing out $parent, I think that put me on the right track. Is it normal, though, to have to use $parent.$parent.$index? $parent.$index is the same as the $index of the current station I'm manipulating. $parent.$parent.$index does give me the desired number, but it feels strange that I have to go that one extra level deep.

Edit: I found this SO post that explains a couple of different ways to handle this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14807258/access-index-of-the-parent-ng-repeat-from-child-ng-repeat. The cleanest looks to be defining a variable for the key in the parent ng-repeat for ease-of-access in descendant ng-repeats.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

jackpot posted:

I've got to build something fast and easy to administer by the user - help me fill in the blanks. Wordpress, Squarespace, ________. Just looking for new options. Something with smart templates being sold, and something that'll let me edit the css. Thoughts?

I can't fill in that blank, but I recently went down the same path.
SquareSpace is perfect if you want Joe Idiot to be able to do easy content population and management, but they aren't going to ask you for special magical features and customization, and they're willing to compromise. Note SquareSpace has some IE8 issues, but nothing you can't fix with some CSS/JS wizardry.
Wordpress for everything which sits outside the above parameters. Using a theme which integrates Visual Composer will make everyone's lives easier, but it's not impervious to exploding.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Is there either a reliable web version of the A-Z slider in things like iOS lists, or just a fixed scrollbar that I can use to quickly navigate a mobile page (as in, a touch scroll area that goes from the top to bottom of the viewport, touching the top brings you to the top, 80% down brings you 80% down the page, etc)?

I could just code up the latter one I suppose, but I feel like there are enough mobile complications that maybe someone's solved it for me by now.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
How do you deal with "this browser is not supported" messages?

I'm building a site for a customer, and their analytics means they don't need to support IE8 or below (hooray). They want to simply display a message to users of those browsers, "your browsers is not supported" etc, that covers the whole page. I've got a conditional stylesheet, which simply displays a div, absolutely positioned to cover the whole screen etc. This div is then after the copyright info etc in the footer.

Does this sound like an OK way to do it?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Chris! posted:

Does this sound like an OK way to do it?

I usually do a small header at the top of the page that says something like, "[warning icon] Your browser is unsupported and potentially unsafe. You may continue to use the site but you will likely encounter visual and functional errors. To learn more about updating your browser, visit browsehappy.com."

If the site is even slightly usable, it's better to deliver a partially broken experience rather than no experience at all. If the site is absolutely broken then your method is probably fine.

e: But putting it at the bottom of the HTML is right.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Another simple HTML/CSS question: What can I do to this navbar to make the active list item have no top border, or a top border that is the same color as the background of the heading above it? I want to create the effect of a tab coming down from the top heading rather than a separated/bordered button. I've tried changing the border style rules for .menu active but it doesn't seem to work to change anything (using border-top: 'red'; changes nothing).

Here's an example: http://codepen.io/anon/pen/EjyaLm. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I imagine it is a simple solution that I'm missing.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Update the padding on .menu:

code:
padding: 0px;

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

kloa posted:

Update the padding on .menu:

code:
padding: 0px;

That sorta does what I was asking, but I wanted to keep the border around the other buttons, only removing the top white border on the active section.

e: Probably looks better without the padding at all actually, I'm still curious how I could have accomplished my original proposition though, just for learning's sake.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

MoosetheMooche posted:

That sorta does what I was asking, but I wanted to keep the border around the other buttons, only removing the top white border on the active section.

e: Probably looks better without the padding at all actually, I'm still curious how I could have accomplished my original proposition though, just for learning's sake.

You could take off the top border of the menu:

code:
padding: 0 2px 2px 2px;
Are you trying to do this on the active tab?
e: made better image

kloa fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 16, 2015

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah that's pretty much what I was going for, thanks for the explanation. Definitely looks better with no padding at all. I appreciate the quick help!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
A client I was about to make an ecommerce site for is now saying "oh maybe we should just use Squarespace".

Are there any good arguments I can give them for why a Squarespace site isn't as good as a proper site? I don't know anything about Squarespace really.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Like most out of the box solutions, it comes down to control. If a client looks at the default feature set of a CMS and associated eCommerce, its specific way of doing things, and says "great, sure that's fine", then all is well as long as they understand that the cost for altering that functionality is undetermined and may in fact cost as much as the initial build depending on whether you collide with hard points of an API.

The benefit of a degree of custom work upon a stable framework, is the cost of custom changes being easier to estimate and often far easier to be accurate with.

This can be a thorny point in ecommerce because checkout flows really matter, and it sucks if the one you're saddled with sucks and can't be altered due to it being a black box.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

SquareSpace lets you build sites within quite limited parameters. You have a selection of templates, and addons you can use. You can customise the templates to your own design, but then support isn't provided, so that becomes "best guess" by whoever made the custom template (you?).

They don't support IE8 (far as I've seen), so if you're somewhere backwards like Australia (that's me!) doing B2B poo poo, then it's totally out. If you want Cool Snazzy Widgets or other extras that base SquareSpace doesn't do, you're pretty much up poo poo creek and need to move platform.

That said, if you're willing to compromise, it's a great solution for a reasonable good, flexible cookie-cutter website, at a very reasonable price. It's easy as pie to work with from a Joe Idiot perspective.

Questions for them:
1. Do you have any requirement to support IE8? It's always best not to cut off your current customer base, regardless of anyone's opinions. Google Analytics for any existing stuff they have is always the deciding factor here.
2. What exactly do you want to do with the site besides basic commerce? You'd be surprised by what SquareSpace won't do out of the box. Any advanced requirements will immediately torpedo this.
3. What do you want the site to look like? Is there a SquareSpace template that can get you at least most of the way there? It's no good if you have to code a whole new template for it by hand anyway.
4. Are you happy with the 2.9%+30c charge from Stripe, the SquareSpace payment gateway provider? Most small-to-mid businesses work with their banks to get good rates when they go to do ecommerce. This could also be a deciding factor.

Check out other platfroms like CoreCommerse, BigCommerce, and Shopify which do similar poo poo in a slightly different manner, and varying different prices. Most of these platforms offer a free trial, I'd suggest trying them out yourself, especially if you get to talking with a client about a particular one.

In my experience, I've always been straight up with the client explaining the above, and said I'm happy for them to play with these platforms and see how far they get, and I'll give them a catch-up call in a few days. The crucial point is always for that friendly catch-up call to happen, where we can then talk about pros and cons and what they've managed to do, what they'd like to do in the future, and anything I can help them with now (for a fee!). When this goes right, it often ends up with one of:
  • Oh, I never got around to it. Maybe I should just leave it with you after all.
  • I got some products up, but I really wanted a slideshow product showcase filtered by model. Oh that's not supported? Darn. That's important to our business..
  • I put all this stuff up, and it's working great. But I have all these tweaks and style weirdness.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Fantastic, thanks both. I can definitely spin that.

Unfortunately their requirements are pretty straightforward, so I might end up talking myself out of a job haha.

v1nce posted:

In my experience, I've always been straight up with the client explaining the above, and said I'm happy for them to play with these platforms and see how far they get, and I'll give them a catch-up call in a few days.

This is really smart. I bet they'll try and give up. Or if I can end up charging them an hourly rate just for tweaking stuff in SquareSpace then I guess that wouldn't be so bad.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

Fantastic, thanks both. I can definitely spin that.

Unfortunately their requirements are pretty straightforward, so I might end up talking myself out of a job haha.

This is really smart. I bet they'll try and give up. Or if I can end up charging them an hourly rate just for tweaking stuff in SquareSpace then I guess that wouldn't be so bad.

Talk yourself into a different kind of job. The big thing to remember is: time is valuable. Yes, your client *can* do all this squarespace stuff themselves most likely. How long will they spend doing it, and will it look as good as if you do it? Be honest, because if you say "oh, sqaurespace can't do what you want / sucks!", and it can, you just lost trust, and that's the last thing you want. Part of being honest is saying "Squarespace looks like it will certainly do what you need: it will take you X hours to do this; I know you are busy, so I'd be happy to perform the setup for you for $Y"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

fuf posted:

By being straightforward and honest, you also set yourself up for word-of-mouth referrals. "That fuf guy just set us up on this Squares thingy because it was cheap and it worked OK for us - he's a real straight shooter. Give him a call."

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Any way to get a div with display:table formatted (with css and/or js/jquery) so that the header row is sticky? Everything I've tried that keeps the header row sticky breaks the formatting of the content cells/rows so that the columns are no longer aligned.

Or is there a simple library I should grab that transforms a div table into a reasonable looking table w/ sticky headers that doesn't require display: table ?

I'm not terribly fussed what I do, I've already spent too much time on the formatting, it's just frustrating because it does need sticky headers.

e: Screw it, I'm converting it to <table> and using DataTables

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 18, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Datatables should do everything you want and more.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

butt dickus posted:

Datatables should do everything you want and more.

Yeah I literally just decided to switch now. I'm a dumb person and I often spend 400% the required effort to try to cobble something together using bandaids and chewing gum when I'd be done in four seconds if I just went back and started from scratch with the proper solution

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Is is possible to use WordPress to build and edit a GitHub user page, which is hosted on GitHub?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
This is more of a generic question but I wanted to ask if anybody has experience with ticketing/work tracking systems. I work for a small web design agency and while we do have a system in place for project management (logging what features the client wants/bugs that need to be fixed) it doesn't really tie into the work that actually took place to complete those tasks. One of our dev team left recently and it's really hit home while trying to pick up his work that there is no audit trail or documentation or comments anywhere detailing exactly what he did to achieve a specific task and it's a pain trying to work it out.

Is this something that just requires disciplined version control commit messages or is there a way we can tie this in to our project management system (we use liquidplanner).

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

nexus6 posted:

Is this something that just requires disciplined version control commit messages or is there a way we can tie this in to our project management system (we use liquidplanner).

This is definitely part of it. Every code commit I do in Bitbucket begins with a JIRA ticket #, and then that code commit automatically shows up in that ticket. Extremely handy.

Does liquidplanner support any integrations with version control systems?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah at my company every feature comes from a user story in JIRA that is tied to bitbucket.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Speaking of tracking, are there any simple project management tools to track a project from start to finish? It's just me and a coworker creating an internal site, and we need an easy way to add and check off items as we come across them.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kloa posted:

Speaking of tracking, are there any simple project management tools to track a project from start to finish? It's just me and a coworker creating an internal site, and we need an easy way to add and check off items as we come across them.

https://www.getflow.com/ – Just a glorified to-do list
https://basecamp.com/ – The mother of all project management software
https://www.zenhub.io/ – Issue boards & burndowns in Github

If you wanted a free option you could probably use a Google doc or something.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

kloa posted:

https://trello.com/

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Asana's not bad but might be a bit heavy for what you need

ufarn
May 30, 2009

kloa posted:

Just search for "kanban", and you'll get all the linked results. The only thing I really like is GitHub's Issue and Milestone system. Otherwise it's just an unending torrent of poorly-worded notes with a lot of superfluous metadata and overhead.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
JIRA is by far the best "kitchen sink" management tool I've ever used. What's greatest about it is that you can use it in any way you please, you're not forced into Agile/Kanban/Waterfall or any other process, you can use it exactly how you want. I'm in my personal custom dashboard all day long and it works great for what we do.

Also it integrates nicely with a lot of different other tools. We've got JIRA/Stash/Bamboo all announcing updates to our Hipchat room as things are getting done.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions bros :tipshat:

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I'm unable to find a good article about text overlaid on top of images that was written between maybe 6 and 12 months ago. It was mainly an aesthetic/design/ux article rather than a technical one, and covered a number of techniques for ensuring the readability of text such as applying a blur to the portion of the image under the text, darkening the area under the text, etc.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about / where this article is? It would almost certainly have appeared on sidebar.io, but I'm failing to find it there as well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Newf posted:

I'm unable to find a good article about text overlaid on top of images that was written between maybe 6 and 12 months ago. It was mainly an aesthetic/design/ux article rather than a technical one, and covered a number of techniques for ensuring the readability of text such as applying a blur to the portion of the image under the text, darkening the area under the text, etc.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about / where this article is? It would almost certainly have appeared on sidebar.io, but I'm failing to find it there as well.
Yeah, I remember. It was a series on Medium, so try a domain-based search.

I'm on the phone now so can't fetch it for you.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

ufarn posted:

Yeah, I remember. It was a series on Medium, so try a domain-based search.

I'm on the phone now so can't fetch it for you.

https://medium.com/@erikdkennedy/7-rules-for-creating-gorgeous-ui-part-2-430de537ba96

Quality hint, thank you.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I may be getting my CoC threads mixed up; but if the person who suggested Regex101 is up in here, many thanks to you.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

That was over in the Javascript thread, but you are welcome :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm about to do a landing page for gathering emails for an upcoming product.

I can easily enough throw together something with django + heroku or whatever for gathering emails, but surely someone has come up with something out of the box for this common task.

Any recommendations?

Does anyone have anything to say about lead generation pages in general? Good design ideas, good practices, whatever...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

I'm about to do a landing page for gathering emails for an upcoming product.

I can easily enough throw together something with django + heroku or whatever for gathering emails, but surely someone has come up with something out of the box for this common task.

Any recommendations?

Does anyone have anything to say about lead generation pages in general? Good design ideas, good practices, whatever...

I frequently use Mail Chimp for list generation and management. They will give you a form snippet and you don't have to do squat except style it. As for good practices, short, non-sales sounding copy seems to work best.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Check out unbounce.com, they have tons of resources and a blog that are all focused on high-converting landing pages.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I've been a web dev for about a year and a half now but I want to get better at design. I don't know how to use Adobe suite though, and I have no formal training. I don't want to necessarily be a dedicated designer, I just want to know enough to be dangerous and to be able to collaborate with designers intelligently. Any advice in this arena?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

an skeleton posted:

I've been a web dev for about a year and a half now but I want to get better at design. I don't know how to use Adobe suite though, and I have no formal training. I don't want to necessarily be a dedicated designer, I just want to know enough to be dangerous and to be able to collaborate with designers intelligently. Any advice in this arena?

Read that Medium article up about 5 posts and the first part of it as well. Hit up sidebar.io and flip back through the last month, reading every design article. Read through the last few months of A List Apart's design focused articles. The big thing to keep in mind to be a good designer is "why". WHY did you pick that font size? WHY did you choose that line-height, that padding, that color?

As far as tools, your web browser is a fully capable web design thing. Check out Sketch.app as well; I think they have a free trial.