Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So I spent probably at least eight hours straight to marathon Until Dawn today and it really is so drat good and everyone should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So I spent probably at least eight hours straight to marathon Until Dawn today and it really is so drat good and everyone should play it.

I finally broke down and bought it today after reading the thread rave about it. I think it's gonna get really spooky because I said the scarecrow creeped me out. :ohdear:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I only wish Until Dawn had more of Peter Stormare being kooky in it, that dude's a character.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i was prepared to dismiss Stomare's psychiatrist character as duplicating the framing device of Shattered Memories but it got way better than it has any right to be. he yells so much at you :D

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bussamove posted:

I finally broke down and bought it today after reading the thread rave about it. I think it's gonna get really spooky because I said the scarecrow creeped me out. :ohdear:

Same, to get such universal praise out of goons is unheard of so I bought it, and it was worth every cent. Me and my gf put off everything we were going to do until tomorrow once we were an hour into the game just because it's so engrossing.

I'm still not entirely sure what the stats system does but maybe it will be more clear on a second playthrough, which I am seriously considering despite playing from start to finish in a day.

Without wishing to spoil anything,pPeople that are going through the first time, I really hope you guys don't spoil any bit of it because the twists are pretty big in the story. Just go and have fun

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 30, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Are Heavy Rain and Beyond still coming to PS4? This was announced for the EU PSN in June of this year but has anything been said since?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Until Dawn is a really nice game. It doesn't entirely succeed in its goals, but I enjoyed my first playthrough and appreciated what the game attempted. It's everything I hoped Heavy Rain would be.

My biggest gripe with the game is how poorly it juggles all its characters. Jessica getting kidnapped in the first chapter and (possibly) being presumed dead until the final chapter is a bit of a cop out. Sam apparently spends several hours in the bathtub and inexplicably misses Chris and Ashley screaming downstairs. Matt and Ashley feel really shallow and underdeveloped. I'm not sure why they are there, as the game seems to avoid revisiting them whenever possible. I think eight main characters might have been too much for the game to handle.

I'm also not entirely sure what the personality stats do. It didn't seem to influence anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of Matt and Emily, there's actually a scene of them walking to the cable car after being told about Josh where they actually hold a sincere conversation. You wouldn't know about this unless you preordered the game. You know how everyone talks about day 1 DLC holding parts of the game hostage? Until Dawn literally does this and there's currently no way to get it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Until Dawn is a really nice game. It doesn't entirely succeed in its goals, but I enjoyed my first playthrough and appreciated what the game attempted. It's everything I hoped Heavy Rain would be.

My biggest gripe with the game is how poorly it juggles all its characters. Jessica getting kidnapped in the first chapter and (possibly) being presumed dead until the final chapter is a bit of a cop out. Sam apparently spends several hours in the bathtub and inexplicably misses Chris and Ashley screaming downstairs. Matt and Ashley feel really shallow and underdeveloped. I'm not sure why they are there, as the game seems to avoid revisiting them whenever possible. I think eight main characters might have been too much for the game to handle.

I'm also not entirely sure what the personality stats do. It didn't seem to influence anything.

My Jessica got knocked out for six chapters, woke up, did one chase sequence then died. Time on screen since regaining consciousness? Probably five minutes. The later chapters are brutal

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Watching that Until Dawn LP posted earlier and man they really love shoving jump scares everywhere. TWO raccoon jumpscares right next to each other? Pace yourself game. At least give the squirrel some screen time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Red Mundus posted:

Watching that Until Dawn LP posted earlier and man they really love shoving jump scares everywhere. TWO raccoon jumpscares right next to each other? Pace yourself game. At least give the squirrel some screen time.

Baby wolverine, actually.

I just beat it for the first time. I agree that the jump scares are overdone, but I was mostly playing for the story and atmosphere anyway. I think the actors started off a little weak but got really strong toward the end of the game. I managed to make it out with all but one character (and the one I lost was a stupid decision that actually went against my earlier thoughts, so entirely my fault), so it's fully possible to get the best ending on your first playthrough unless you have bad luck. The Don't Move QTEs are also way harder than they look because the PS4 controller is so sensitive to movement that even breathing too hard can give it away, and the end of the game has some really long ones and does stuff to intentionally make you jump or squirm while you do it. Dr. Hill is a pretty cool narrative device and Peter Stormare was having the time of his life playing him.

My one major criticism is that some characters feel underused. Matt is the least seen out of all the major characters and disappears for a huge chunk of the game, almost as long as Jessica does, and they both reappear and leave the game in the same segment. But other than that, it juggled them decently well and it felt like they got pretty equal screentime.

Also, I really liked the complexity given to the characters. It looks at first like they're playing into stereotypes, but as the game goes on they unveil some real depth. Mike and Chris probably make the biggest changes, as they both start off a little douchey (with Chris in particular coming off as a tryhard joker) but when things get serious they both buckle down and become pretty heroic. Mike, in particular, goes full blown action hero as soon as he gets pressed and ended up becoming one of my favorite characters. Mike and Jessica's relationship got a little criticism as "cliched", but I think those people just haven't seen much of it. The beginning of the game especially takes a lot of time to explore their chemistry together.

But gently caress Emily.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I have to watch vicariously through YT vids but yeah, Emily comes off annoying. What's up with the character stats? They seem to affect nothing.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

I have to watch vicariously through YT vids but yeah, Emily comes off annoying. What's up with the character stats? They seem to affect nothing.

I feel like, after just playing it a couple hours, that the stats are more of a metric for you to gauge how you've made any given character act, and how it's changed their relationship towards the other characters. At least, I haven't had anything come up yet where they've felt like they've had any sort of impact. I'm sure Dr. Hill will keep berating me if I'm wrong about it, though.

Speaking of, Dr. Hill I think I should see a new psychiatrist this is getting very unprofessional.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not gonna lie, I intentionally chose a path that looked like it would kill Emily because she was being so loving awful. Even when her life is in danger she kept insulting and abusing Matt, after having spent their whole time openly vocalizing her beliefs that Matt is just a dumb meathead who should just listen to her because she's always right.

It got to the point where I think I started feeling a lot like Matt probably was right there and took a choice that would kill her. I was legitimately disappointed to find out that she was still alive.

Edit: I do know that the relationship stats affect some things like dialogue, but the actual choices you make affect things like the scripted decisions made by characters. Like if you have Chris fail to save Ashley and/or try to shoot her to save himself, she leaves him locked outside for a wendigo to kill.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 30, 2015

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Condemened was also a series where the story went absolutely nuts for.. reasons?

In 1 you start off just investigating hobo murders and then you get framed. Now you are the hobo who needs to investigate the crazy paranormal murders! then the ending involves you fighting insane Filipino stick martial art people

In 2, you are the ultimate hobo and you can shout people to death, also fight the angriest bear

Tbf it's more entertaining than FEAR and its obsession with the Japanese ghost from The Ring

Wasn't the big final twist like the President of the United States was somehow involved in the main character being a hobo-murdering screaming death cannon? That's some Metal Gear levels of stupid. There's great potential for an extremely dumb final game to wrap all that up.

But seriously, I would really love another first-person forensic investigation/fist-fighting simulator that's also super spooky, even if it didn't continue the first two game's story. A new Condemned game would own.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Horns posted:

Wasn't the big final twist like the President of the United States was somehow involved in the main character being a hobo-murdering screaming death cannon? That's some Metal Gear levels of stupid. There's great potential for an extremely dumb final game to wrap all that up.

It absolutely was. I think Condemned 2 also went the classic "bad horror sequel plot" route of taking all of the creepy, mostly unexplained supernatural poo poo and explaining it all as an Ancient Conspiracy involving pseudoscience. It immediately eliminates much of the suspense and horror by giving away the whole deal and turning it from a creepy supernatural horror game into a thriller with vestigial horror elements.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My Jessica got knocked out for six chapters, woke up, did one chase sequence then died. Time on screen since regaining consciousness? Probably five minutes. The later chapters are brutal

It's really a shame how minor Jessica is to the plot, because I really liked what little I saw of her. Even if she survives her initial encounter, she wakes in an almost catatonic state.

I do hear that it's possible to end the game with Jessica as the only survivor. I'd like to see how that goes.

EDIT: And, yes, Emily is awful.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 30, 2015

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Ended up playing Until Dawn for about six hours straight last night. We only stopped when I felt like my being exhausted caused a character death. Also, I feel like rumors of Condemned 3 pop up every couple of months. I don't care how dumb the plot gets, as long as it's more punching in cool environments. I would love it if (aside from the game magically existing) it found a way to top the lodge level in 2. You know the one.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shadowlyger posted:

I mean give me lore blurbs about the setting, sure, I am all over that. But if the sum total of a game's "gameplay" can be found on a wiki page then that doesn't sound like a very fun game to me.

It's like saying Mario isn't fun because you can watch a playthrough. The gameplay's not the story, the gameplay's figuring out the story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mario requires execution is his point.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think the point is that some people have a very narrow paradigm about what constitutes a game. I mean I can play games where a lot of the gameplay was an afterthought and people don't give those games poo poo. Deadly Premonition is a perfect example of this. The combat in that game was poo poo.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Neo Rasa posted:

I was surprised this didn't happen in the game since everything else about that scene was setting up, uh, Silent Witness I think is the movie name? An homage like that is right up David Cage's alley.

there's been a lot of bad posting since you asked this, but the movie beyond is going out of its way to reference with that scene is the accused.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

mario requires execution is his point.

deducing a story from given clues requires seriously thinking about it in many cases. That's like execution for your brain matter instead of your fingers. People go to wiki for the same reason people go to playthroughs, because they think the execution is out of their reach, missing that it's what makes the game worth experiencing.

Chev fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 30, 2015

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Has anyone played Fran Bow? It's an Alice in Wonderland-ish psychological horror adventure game. It was released a few days ago on Steam and from what I've played so far it's really good.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Chev posted:

It's like saying Mario isn't fun because you can watch a playthrough. The gameplay's not the story, the gameplay's figuring out the story.

How is something that you do entirely outside of the game a type of gameplay?

I mean, figuring out the story is great and all but if that's the only thing in the game then I think I'd rather just read a book. You need something substantial in between finding the story bits and "tromping around a dark and stormy house" just doesn't sound very substantial to me without some sort of friction or challenge to the gameplay.

I can watch a playthrough of a Mario game, but it'd still be fun to play it myself, experience the challenges it has to offer. If I watched someone play through Gone Home, I'd have no reason to ever pick up the game myself because there are no challenges present, all it has to offer is figuring out the story.

blackguy32 posted:

Then read a book? To say that gone home doesn't have gameplay is silly. I could read about the plot to a movie on Wikipedia but that doesn't mean I have gotten the full experience.

You would if you watched the movie. And that's what I could do with Gone Home, I could just watch a video of it, so I suppose it'd be more accurate to compare it to a movie then.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 30, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Then read a book? To say that gone home doesn't have gameplay is silly. I could read about the plot to a movie on Wikipedia but that doesn't mean I have gotten the full experience.

Not all games need to have challenge. There is room for every type of game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Oh my god please shut up

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The horror comes from this discussion.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Condolences to those who did their best to turn the topic around

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Conal Cochran posted:

Has anyone played Fran Bow? It's an Alice in Wonderland-ish psychological horror adventure game. It was released a few days ago on Steam and from what I've played so far it's really good.
I'm playing it right now, I haven't got past the part that was in the demo yet though. I love it so far, although I have a feeling I'm going to get stuck at least a few times, as it seems to skew towards the older style of point and click puzzles at this point.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shadowlyger posted:

How is something that you do entirely outside of the game a type of gameplay?
It's the other way round. if it's gameplay it's by definition inside the game. You just have too narrow a definition of what a game is. All the stuff like armchair treasure hunts or ARGs fall under that category, but also the ones, books or videogames, that don't have an explicit "you win" signpost like the serial killer cold case in GTA V, books like House of Leaves or VNs like Umineko. They all reach outside of what seems to be the medium to make you play a game in your head. Heck, in cases like Dark Souls or FNAF it seems to be the main draw.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That reminds me how I had to stop reading House of Leaves halfway through and now I can't start where I left off without being all confused and starting over isn't appealing either.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Conal Cochran posted:

Yeah, I was a backer and I just beat it. Seconding that it was really good. The puzzles were all quality aside from two (A sliding block puzzle :argh: and one section that falls into the old adventure game misstep of having the means to solving the puzzle from the start and knowing you do, but you still you have to jump through hoops to actually do it.) Atmosphere was fantastic too.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 30, 2015

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Gone Home. I enjoyed it. I completely understand why others did not. If we want to go down this road, someone make a GBS thread on it and go the gently caress over there.

Anyway, Question for everyone out there;
Has anyone ever made a mod out there for like, Skyrim or other sandbox games where there is something scary hunting you? Like it is big and powerful, but you can kill it. But it just randomly spawns somewhere in the world and slowly hunts you.

I imagine that would really make a cool side mission. I'd play the poo poo out of that.

Fake Edit: I just realized what I'm describing is basically Slenderman, in Skyrim. Sigh.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Frictional release soma early and save us from this gone hell

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

1stGear posted:

Frictional release soma early and save us from this gone hell

Excuse me but let me spend fifty posts telling you why SOMA isn't a game.

Unrelated, whatever happened to that SCP-based game that was being developed?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

QuoProQuid posted:

It's really a shame how minor Jessica is to the plot, because I really liked what little I saw of her. Even if she survives her initial encounter, she wakes in an almost catatonic state.

I do hear that it's possible to end the game with Jessica as the only survivor. I'd like to see how that goes.

EDIT: And, yes, Emily is awful.

Honestly, I liked Jessica and the extra layers they put to her character. It looked at first like Jessica and Mike's relationship was going to be a fairly cliche "Jerk Jock and slutty blonde girlfriend get sent to the cabin for sexy times and end up getting killed", but the game actually takes the time to show how all of the "cliche" characters behave out of sight of the camera in a typical horror movie. So when we see Mike and Jessica meet, they actually do cute couple things and have chemistry together. Emily tries to make it seem like they're both just easy lays getting together (because Emily is a terrible person), but they clearly have an interest in each other outside of just banging in a cabin alone. They're both playful and funny on the way to the cabin and depending on how you make your choices, Mike can repeatedly make an effort to save her and help her out on their journey. If she's not totally willing to succumb to his advances in the cabin, they can have a serious talk about her insecurities as Mike tries to make her more comfortable.

They did the same thing with just about everyone, really. Chris starts out as the Class Clown archetype and a bit of a prick, but immediately recognizes the severity of the situation even if he won't immediately believe in the supernatural and sympathizes with how uncomfortable Ashley is, and depending on how you play him he can become a heroic and self-sacrificing character. Ashley doesn't have much characterization at the start, but depending on your choices she can become a bitch on par with Emily who has no remorse at all for being responsible for the prank on Hannah last year who leaves Chris to die for trying to sacrifice her for himself and Josh, or she can be extremely remorseful about the part she played in the prank and try to help Chris when he's in danger or hurt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Excuse me but let me spend fifty posts telling you why SOMA isn't a game.

Unrelated, whatever happened to that SCP-based game that was being developed?

isn't it still around? Or was there a "real" game being made based on containment breach?

Professor of Cats posted:

Anyway, Question for everyone out there;
Has anyone ever made a mod out there for like, Skyrim or other sandbox games where there is something scary hunting you? Like it is big and powerful, but you can kill it. But it just randomly spawns somewhere in the world and slowly hunts you.

I imagine that would really make a cool side mission. I'd play the poo poo out of that.

there was an HL1 mod called something like Master Sword generic sword and sorcery type thing but one area was this deserted village and a nearly invincible ogre chased you around it and my brother and i had fun for hours just hiding in huts/on roofs and poo poo trying to plink it to death.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
started alien isolation again, nightmare, 60fps. i dont really enjoy the latter half, but the atmosphere and first half more than make up for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know when I'll get a chance to play Until Dawn myself but Harshly Critical started a LP so there's that at least.