Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

A lot must be, but unless you just declared bankruptcy and are completely financially toxic, anyone who gets financing at the used car dealership is almost certainly financially illiterate.

Yeah, I try not to get sucked into the stereotype but god dammit every time I set foot on a lot, even if the guy doesn't start out as the stereotype, by the end of the visit he's shown to be after all.

This was my experience when I was scouring the wastelands of the used truck market

I really wanted to give them a chance but gently caress all those guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It really would be a great way to turn millions into thousands. Start an AI used car dealership.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

1500quidporsche posted:

My first car had one that said "Where the heck is Forestburg" on it.
Just past Evansburg!

DrakeriderCa posted:

This was my experience when I was scouring the wastelands of the used truck market

I really wanted to give them a chance but gently caress all those guys
When we were tiny-car window shopping a couple weeks ago the guy at the Chev dealer seemed pretty cool and a decent guy to talk to. But as soon as we asked "Hey, what's you're asking price on something like this" holy gently caress NONONONO CAN'T TALK ABOUT THAT WITHOUT GOING INTO THIS CORNER OFFICE HERE AND NEED TO SIT DOWN AND LOOK AT A BUNCH OF STUFF WHATS YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME PHONE NUMBER WHERE ARE YOU FROM NO CANNOT GIVE YOU A PRICE EVEN A BALLPARK NO SIR.
:smithicide:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Just past Evansburg!

When we were tiny-car window shopping a couple weeks ago the guy at the Chev dealer seemed pretty cool and a decent guy to talk to. But as soon as we asked "Hey, what's you're asking price on something like this" holy gently caress NONONONO CAN'T TALK ABOUT THAT WITHOUT GOING INTO THIS CORNER OFFICE HERE AND NEED TO SIT DOWN AND LOOK AT A BUNCH OF STUFF WHATS YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME PHONE NUMBER WHERE ARE YOU FROM NO CANNOT GIVE YOU A PRICE EVEN A BALLPARK NO SIR.
:smithicide:

That's why I thoroughly enjoyed feeding the bone back to dealerships when I was shopping for the Tucson

My measure of success was when every dealership except one stopped dealing with me. That's when I knew I'd probably got the price as low as possible.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

My measure of success was when every dealership except one stopped dealing with me. That's when I knew I'd probably got the price as low as possible.

This could be a fun AI challenge. Pick a car, we all have to try and haggle the price down, post up final offers. Winner gets X. We all would obviously walk away in the end (because gently caress dealerships). About time someone wasted their time for a change.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I wouldn't feel the slightest bit bad of wasting some guys time, I'd be all over that.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That would be fun but my time is way more valuable to me than some douchebag car salesman's time is to him.

Plus I don't want to buy a burner phone to avoid their desperate phone calls from an auto dialer four months down the line.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Before i bought my 15 year old BMW i did this shopping out the fiesta ST and i took them down to 21k OTD by going back and forth between dealships with the spec/price sheet. Months later I went back with a friend who was looking at the 1.0 fiesta and they wouldnt let her drive it because I was there.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

May be a long shot, but does anyone have any D-series honda engines laying around? I need the crankshaft bridge cap bolts, as I threw mine out thinking they were head bolts. I would be willing to pay whatever is fair, and also shipping down to Medicine Hat. Big surprise no bolt companies around stock an M11 x 1.5 at 116mm and 131mm long. It is a D16Y7 engine , but bolts from a D16y8 would work as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mr_selfdestruct posted:

May be a long shot, but does anyone have any D-series honda engines laying around? I need the crankshaft bridge cap bolts, as I threw mine out thinking they were head bolts. I would be willing to pay whatever is fair, and also shipping down to Medicine Hat. Big surprise no bolt companies around stock an M11 x 1.5 at 116mm and 131mm long. It is a D16Y7 engine , but bolts from a D16y8 would work as well.

I'd take apart my kijiji turbo D16 but I still want to enjoy the delusion that it is a good engine and it's hard to do that when I look at the inside :(

Village Honda is pretty good, FYI. Best parts dept of any brand I've ever dealt with.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's the ballpark pricing for a larger shop these days ? Something like 30x40', concrete slab, insulated, wood stove and 220v ?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

TWSS posted:

Before i bought my 15 year old BMW i did this shopping out the fiesta ST and i took them down to 21k OTD by going back and forth between dealships with the spec/price sheet. Months later I went back with a friend who was looking at the 1.0 fiesta and they wouldnt let her drive it because I was there.

I had a salesman admit that they withhold the price sheets to try to prevent customers from shopping back and forth.

They're also worth a laugh for the "but look, I'd have to go $2k BELOW MY COST to give you that price" factor.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd take apart my kijiji turbo D16 but I still want to enjoy the delusion that it is a good engine and it's hard to do that when I look at the inside :(

Village Honda is pretty good, FYI. Best parts dept of any brand I've ever dealt with.

Went to Honda this morning. $105 for all of them, but there are only 8 in Canada and I need 10.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

jonathan posted:

What's the ballpark pricing for a larger shop these days ? Something like 30x40', concrete slab, insulated, wood stove and 220v ?

Looking to get it totally built by a contractor or will you diy some of it?

Mine is 30x40, 12+ ceiling height, thicker concrete pad with more rebar for the lift anchors, insulated, drywalled, vinyl sides and asphalt shingles, gas line and a big forced air furnace, 220v everywhere, tons of 120v, led ceiling lights, and low profile door tracks and openers to clear the lifts. It cost me just over 100k, but I paid a big premium for mine because I hired the same custom home builder that constructed my house.

Cutting out the gas line and furnace would save you a bunch, as would shopping around for cheaper contractors. Say around 60-80k depending on how finished looking you want it to be.

You could go even cheaper by getting an insulated pole barn built and then pouring a slab in once it's complete. I considered that too, but I didn't like the aesthetics of it, and the pole barn guys do not wire for electricity at all, so that would be some other contractor.

poo poo ain't cheap man.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mr_selfdestruct posted:

Went to Honda this morning. $105 for all of them, but there are only 8 in Canada and I need 10.

Christ man. Civics are a dime a dozen at pick n pulls up here in Calgary. Might be worth just doing it that way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Christ man. Civics are a dime a dozen at pick n pulls up here in Calgary. Might be worth just doing it that way.

For $105 it's pretty close to breaking even to just pull an entire D-series block.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slung Blade posted:

Looking to get it totally built by a contractor or will you diy some of it?

Mine is 30x40, 12+ ceiling height, thicker concrete pad with more rebar for the lift anchors, insulated, drywalled, vinyl sides and asphalt shingles, gas line and a big forced air furnace, 220v everywhere, tons of 120v, led ceiling lights, and low profile door tracks and openers to clear the lifts. It cost me just over 100k, but I paid a big premium for mine because I hired the same custom home builder that constructed my house.

Cutting out the gas line and furnace would save you a bunch, as would shopping around for cheaper contractors. Say around 60-80k depending on how finished looking you want it to be.

You could go even cheaper by getting an insulated pole barn built and then pouring a slab in once it's complete. I considered that too, but I didn't like the aesthetics of it, and the pole barn guys do not wire for electricity at all, so that would be some other contractor.

poo poo ain't cheap man.

Thank you, just what I needed to know. Budgeting an acreage purchase (for parents not my money) and trying to figure out pricing without shop to build one vs one with a shop already built. Without shop seems to devalue the places by about 70k.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah tell me about it. I was just up there weekend before last for parts, but of course at the time you think you got everything you need.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

jonathan posted:

Thank you, just what I needed to know. Budgeting an acreage purchase (for parents not my money) and trying to figure out pricing without shop to build one vs one with a shop already built. Without shop seems to devalue the places by about 70k.

Hey no problem man, glad to help. Yeah that differential sounds about right.

I'd advise them to go for location over everything else, you can always build or demolish a shop. For instance, I would never want to live west of where I work, or where I had to drive to often if they're retired, as the sun will always be in your eyes. Fuckin hate that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's actually a very timely question. My house has an attached double garage but since I live on a corner lot I am seriously toying with the idea of putting a large single detached garage in the backyard. I already have a gravel pad that I never use so I am thinking of going full build on it. That would be more a shop where I would build it from the start with enough height for a hoist and my tools. I'm thinking maybe hoping somewhere around 30k? Or do you think that would be too optimistic? Wouldn't bother with anything higher than 110 1ph.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If you're going to trench power out to it, get 220, the price difference is minimal and so, so worth it. I've never seen a hoist hydraulic power pack worth a poo poo that was 110v, and having 220v available really expands your options for good (used) air compressors. (get a network cable run out there too, basically free alongside the power and it's great to put a wifi router in the shop, I'm sure glad I did)

Making it tall enough for a hoist and insulating it and all that jazz I'd guess you're looking at more like 35-40. I'm no builder though so call around - I'm sure there are some guys hungry for work down your way.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Up my way, grande prairie. Yeah lots of the places already have nice shops.

We don't really need a lift, but may construct an A-frame on wheels with an electric house or whatever.

Here is an example of one they are interested in

Please view this ad:

Great Opportunity for Your Mechanic Business, 5 min fromSexsmith,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sa...ent=app_android

Price: $ 374,900

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Anyone interested in an AB:AI X-Mas get together? I'll gladly host plus I know of a really nice empty industrial parking lot 20m from my house that has no businesses yet...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

jonathan posted:

Up my way, grande prairie. Yeah lots of the places already have nice shops.

We don't really need a lift, but may construct an A-frame on wheels with an electric house or whatever.

Here is an example of one they are interested in

Please view this ad:

Great Opportunity for Your Mechanic Business, 5 min fromSexsmith,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sa...ent=app_android

Price: $ 374,900

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

That one looks pretty decent. Two bathrooms for four bedrooms isn't a great ratio, but I assume it'll just be your folks there? Shop looks nice. Kind of a shame, it looks like they're taking the lifts with them.

McTinkerson posted:

Anyone interested in an AB:AI X-Mas get together? I'll gladly host plus I know of a really nice empty industrial parking lot 20m from my house that has no businesses yet...

Yeah I might be down for this depending on the timing and weather. Would be good to see you guys again :coal:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya I'd be down depending on the timing. December always ends up being ridiculously busy for me.

Also due to some rather daft thinking on my family's part the whole Banff Christmas thing is off. Probably going to head down to Crowsnest in a few weeks as a consolation prize, any recommendations on a more scenic route? I was thinking of taking 2 down to High River and then cutting across to highway 40.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya I'd be down depending on the timing. December always ends up being ridiculously busy for me.

Also due to some rather daft thinking on my family's part the whole Banff Christmas thing is off. Probably going to head down to Crowsnest in a few weeks as a consolation prize, any recommendations on a more scenic route? I was thinking of taking 2 down to High River and then cutting across to highway 40.

I'd actually cut West at okotoks, then head south through Longview, it's quite lovely all the way down to lundbreck falls.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

AI get together would be cool, but December is pretty much a write-off. We are going to Edmonton for xmas this year, but only for 24-26, so won't have a bunch of spare time.

Slung Blade posted:

I'd actually cut West at okotoks, then head south through Longview, it's quite lovely all the way down to lundbreck falls.

Yeah, 22 is the safe way and much prettier than 2. 40 to Coleman will be a no-go this time of year - it's closed. There is a couple of RRs and secondarys you can zig-zag on from 22, but you'd probably just want to stick on it.

If you want to put miles on, you can always take #1 to Castle and then head south on 93 and approach from the west.

e: Anyone know if this is still alive or not?
http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 30, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

e: Anyone know if this is still alive or not?
http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/

gently caress I hope so. That looks amazing.

I say we should all chip in for a share of one of those condos if that guarantees track time and access. gently caress that would be a great way to spend vacation time. I'm willing to take on some extra mortgage debt for that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They said in august they would break ground in 2017.

They were saying $10k membership and no yearly dues if they rented out the condos. That's better than the ones in vancouver and victoria with $30k memberships and $3k/year dues.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

I say we should all chip in for a share of one of those condos if that guarantees track time and access. gently caress that would be a great way to spend vacation time. I'm willing to take on some extra mortgage debt for that.
I would consider this as well.

If they can break ground, you couldn't ask for better economic conditions for building right now. Companies are desperate for the work.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

poo poo, looks like they're planning to sell small acreage lots out there are some point too. That might be a better deal, buy a lot, stick a workshop on it and leave room for RVs.

Or buy land from a nearby farmer...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

Count me (and my GF) as another conditional yes, depending on other obligations. Late December (like the 29th or 30th) seems possible, or before christmas (21st/22nd).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

McTinkerson posted:

I'd love to but my schedule is just too hosed up right now. :smith:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Looks like it's 50/50 right now. How about this instead:

Next AB:AI meet in the spring. Also the TM2TW:Lite challenge. Soap box derby!

St Albert hosts one every year since this city has some pretty awesome hills. I'm sure we could commandeer one of them unofficially for a few minutes.

First thing would be to decide on a soap box kit. Followed by max budget. Budget being both money and time investment.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What's the weight limit on a soap box derby car? I have a poo poo load of old brake rotors.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
how bad's the rust on these wheels?:

otherwise it's a decent deal on an SUV i'm considering buying from a dealership

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Looks like bog standard rotor surface rust to me. How's the body/rockers?

Check the fasteners under the hood, see if they're rusty.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
That's the only brown spots I could find in or out, each wheel is roughly the same and it's visible between the spokes of the rims from 5-10 feet away. I have literally no experience with the severity of the conditions up here. Is it going to crumble within a few months?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Alberta vehicles aren't really that bad. Where its from is the question. If it is from back east yes, it probably will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
1 year in Saskatoon, 4 in Calgary.