Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I liked the first FMA anime's ending and didn't even realize it was a made up thing (although I heard it was still written by Arakawa?), and at the time I was under the impression most people liked it too, is it really as hated as DBGT nowadays? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The one thing I appreciated about the original FMA ending after watching Brotherhood, was that it kinda cleverly hit a few of the same notes as the eventual canon ending while still being completely different in detail, EG:

In both cases (Give or take, it's been a while since I've seen either) Al sacrifices himself for Edward, and Edward in turn sacrifices his alchemy in order to bring back Al and in that way they manage to break the cycle and resolve their character arcs. Just in Brotherhoods case that's more literally what happens while in Anime FMA Ed loses his magic powers by being stuck in Pre-Hitler WW2 and blah blah bad movie resolution.

Like, I still think the anime ending was kinda bad, I just thought that was clever of Arakawa to give them something vaguely similar to the real ending in theme without spoiling anything for manga readers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol I love that the kind of cliches that fans of other media would call "anime", anime fans refer to as "jrpg". i guess there is always someone lower on the food chain.
Well, I mean it's actually like a JRPG with a final dungeon and sub bosses and a fight with a diety-like figure in what looks like space. Like the whole fight with father could've had one-winged angel playing in the background.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol I love that the kind of cliches that fans of other media would call "anime", anime fans refer to as "jrpg". i guess there is always someone lower on the food chain.

Yeah it's probably more like an ouroborus.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Petiso posted:

I liked the first FMA anime's ending and didn't even realize it was a made up thing (although I heard it was still written by Arakawa?), and at the time I was under the impression most people liked it too, is it really as hated as DBGT nowadays? :psyduck:

arakawa had absolutely nothing to do with it. You can tell by how relentlessly and pointlessly bleak it is and how it ends up being an hamhanded war on terror allegory (Mizushima loves his politics and it's too bad he's about as good with them as your average political cartoonist)

There's always been people who hate the last half of FMA 2003, even before the manga ended. it's just more prevalent now that the alternative is readily available for comparison

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I liked it being a lot bleaker really. Fits better with the whole "What is the value of a human life?" thing the series had going.

I can't recall; did the manga have the scene where PTSD Mustang tries to blow his brains out after killing Winry's parents?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

I liked it being a lot bleaker really. Fits better with the whole "What is the value of a human life?" thing the series had going.

I can't recall; did the manga have the scene where PTSD Mustang tries to blow his brains out after killing Winry's parents?

No, cause he didn't do it in the manga.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the most consistent part of fma is that the best parts are always mustang going nuts

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The FMA manga has an amazing ending dummies

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

No, cause he didn't do it in the manga.
I actually thought that was a good scene in the 2003 anime. I generally cared a lot more about the main cast in the 2003 adaptation. The fight with Pride at the end was some :stare: poo poo when I first watched it.

Anyway, key image:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm happy for Ed's legs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

The FMA manga has an amazing ending dummies

:yeah:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked how they didn't care about what Fritz Lang really looked like.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Too much action-adventure in my action-adventure, 0/10.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I stand by my assessment.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Your assessment does a disservice to the source material's thematic payoffs, tone, and story structure by adopting a new rubric you decided upon yourself.

You come off like you're criticizing it for being bad when really it seems like you're criticizing it for not being what you wanted - which is a fair point, one I'm guilty of myself, but also a different one.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fabricated posted:

OTOH Arakawa's always been an optimist at heart and the entire work was always building towards a positive conclusion. Bad things happen, but people move on and with effort and cooperation eventually build something better. This is the core of the brothers' character arc, of Mustang's arc, of Scar's arc and pretty much everyone else. The whole thing about finding a new philosophy beyond equivalent exchange is pretty much this.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 4, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

OTOH Arakawa's always been an optimist at heart and the entire work was always building towards a positive conclusion. Bad things happen, but people move on and with effort and cooperation eventually build something better. This is the core of the brothers' character arc, of Mustang's arc, of Scar's arc and pretty much everyone else.

Of course Arakawa is an optimist. She must have faith in the human race as a whole, otherwise she wouldn't have given mankind the ultimate present - FMA.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To be honest I prefer Silver Spoon to FMA. Like, FMA is very cool and very good but Silver Spoon is :kimchi: materialized.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bad Seafood weren't you going to make an FMA thread.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Writing off the whole last third of the series as a bad JRPG also kinda undermines a lot of genuinely poignant moments divorced from all that, like Ed and Al's differing ways of reconciling (or not) with their father, Mustang's descent into and return from darkness, Scar's redemption, etc.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood weren't you going to make an FMA thread.
At some point but real life has sidetracked that somewhat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

At some point but real life has sidetracked that somewhat.

That's cool. I'll just make one and the OP will be FMA is really good, talk about it here.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only real bad part of FMA's final arc is that until Wrath shows up the bad guys just kinda get mercilessly stomped by the good guys, and there's not too much tension. It's still really good despite that though, but it feels like something's missing until Bradley arrives.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

Your assessment does a disservice to the source material's thematic payoffs, tone, and story structure by adopting a new rubric you decided upon yourself.

You come off like you're criticizing it for being bad when really it seems like you're criticizing it for not being what you wanted - which is a fair point, one I'm guilty of myself, but also a different one.
I find it less "bad" than just really insanely boring. I picked up the manga a little while after seeing the 2003 adaptation first, and I can't make it to the end without just skimming like crazy. The most I'll give it is that it actually has something resembling an ending; something I found a little saccharine and dull but it didn't leave me staring at it- utterly baffled by the clusterfuck right at the end like I did with 2003.

Like BAD is Bambino Secundo. This is more, "meh".

Silver Spoon I can't get enough of, the FMA source material just makes me snore.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 4, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The most important question is who in the industry is froggy enough to voice Tsuyu, gero?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The only real bad part of FMA's final arc is that until Wrath shows up the bad guys just kinda get mercilessly stomped by the good guys, and there's not too much tension. It's still really good despite that though, but it feels like something's missing until Bradley arrives.

I feel like Bradley is enough of an insane murdermachine that he alone pretty much makes up for the bad guys being a bit outgunned at that stage. Them seeming to have the upper hand at that point nicely sets up how outmatched they are later. There's rarely a really even keel of power between sides for a lot of FMA now I think about it. The bad guys pretty much accomplish their plan uncontested until the Ishvalan and Hoenheim counter circles get going. All the Elric brothers and co really accomplish is finding out what is happening and a gathering of allies. Father's god like power makes him near untouchable for most of the fight too.

FMA really gets the primal shounen finale right in that, for all the crazy magic poo poo and philosophy and planning and such, it really comes down to the hero punching the bad guy in the face really loving hard.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

The most important question is who in the industry is froggy enough to voice Tsuyu, gero?
I tried to find a clip without retarded /a/speak but whatever

https://youtu.be/y1obeblHgiY?t=19

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, I'd agree that Sucy's voice would be a good Tsuyu.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fabricated posted:

This is acceptable.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The actress who played Migi in Parasyte would probably be able to make a good Tsuyu voice.

Honestly I'm happy with Bones doing the visuals because even when they have scripts or series that aren't very good (I'm looking at you Captain Earth), they usually come through pretty well with the visuals. I'm less worried about the scripting here because it's a manga adaptation rather than studio original, and it's probably very likely to be a seasonal gig than turning into One Piece or Bleach.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm still waiting for an official My Hero Academia/Little Witch Academia crossover!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Neeksy posted:

The actress who played Migi in Parasyte would probably be able to make a good Tsuyu voice.
That would be Aya Hirano, unless you mean the human beatbox girl who did the sound effects.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Neeksy posted:

Paracelsus posted:

That would be Aya Hirano, unless you mean the human beatbox girl who did the sound effects.
drat, I didn't realize it was Hirano, but that would be a really good fit for Froppy.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
So we'll probably see this anime in Spring or Summer next year?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm guessing Summer or Fall.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

imho it's really satisfying. An entire series of being dicked around by endless machinations and everybody finally has a chance to just let lose and loving stomp the enemy into the ground

Anyway that Key Art is really good, they look like they captured All Might perfectly. Look at those gorgeous heavy inklines! Can't wait to see how he animates.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm still waiting for an official My Hero Academia/Little Witch Academia crossover!

This and One Punch Man plz

Jintor fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 4, 2015

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Of course Arakawa is an optimist. She must have faith in the human race as a whole, otherwise she wouldn't have given mankind the ultimate present - FMA.
A short while after I just started reading FMA, I remember reading a little blurb she wrote in the back of one of the volumes. In order to get a feel for what it was like to have PTSD, she interviewed several World War II vets. Arakawa then admits that it was one of the most harrowing experiences of her life and that she lost ten pounds in a week. I know that you were being a bit facetious, but I just wanted to share that bit of information because it's not left me even after ten years.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

kinmik posted:

A short while after I just started reading FMA, I remember reading a little blurb she wrote in the back of one of the volumes. In order to get a feel for what it was like to have PTSD, she interviewed several World War II vets. Arakawa then admits that it was one of the most harrowing experiences of her life and that she lost ten pounds in a week. I know that you were being a bit facetious, but I just wanted to share that bit of information because it's not left me even after ten years.

There's this book called "Senso: The Japanese Remember the Pacific War" that's full of Japanese vets telling their stories. Just reading them is enough to put hair on your chest.

"I was on this cargo ship with the rest of my regiment, packed in so tightly that guys just poo poo their pants rather than try and move. Rations were a cup of dried rice a day and 30 minutes of fresh air at night. Anyway, this American sub torpedoed us. Almost everyone either drowned waiting for help to arrive or was turned into a human torch by the burning crude on the surface. Eventually another cargo ship full of soldiers came and rescued about 100 of us, and we kept heading towards our assigned post.

Then our rescue ship got torpedoed by a different sub two days later.

I was the only survivor of the original regiment of 5,000 men. We never even saw combat."

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Vengarr posted:

There's this book called "Senso: The Japanese Remember the Pacific War" that's full of Japanese vets telling their stories. Just reading them is enough to put hair on your chest.

"I was on this cargo ship with the rest of my regiment, packed in so tightly that guys just poo poo their pants rather than try and move. Rations were a cup of dried rice a day and 30 minutes of fresh air at night. Anyway, this American sub torpedoed us. Almost everyone either drowned waiting for help to arrive or was turned into a human torch by the burning crude on the surface. Eventually another cargo ship full of soldiers came and rescued about 100 of us, and we kept heading towards our assigned post.

Then our rescue ship got torpedoed by a different sub two days later.

I was the only survivor of the original regiment of 5,000 men. We never even saw combat."

:captainpop:

War is poo poo.