Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm basically just starting out, I have a server with a few friends and none of us have played modded minecraft for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Are there any other good hqm type maps around other than blightfall, regrowth, me3/4? I downloaded FTB infinity but it's just a plain modpack, I'm looking for challenge/quests. Maybe agrarian skies 2? Is that good / more of the same? I enjoyed the first one. Banished looks too grindy for me but I might play that if it has an actual end / victory condition.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I've been enjoying Regrowth. Word of warning, it has a few unpopular mods in it. To me, so far, It's been a mod that's felt more like a showcase for Botania and Magical Crops (kind of like how Blightfall championed Thaumcraft.

Its also kind of neat to have a minimlistic need to mine, and instead a enormous hunger for space. You always need more space!

Plus it kind of has that same vibe of a overwhelmingly hostile world, but dead instead of infected. Monsters come at you in honestly scary hoards and theirs a few really nasty types mixed in. This is the first time in along time that I've felt required to expand as a walled enclave and not just some haphazard base/house.

Wylker has a letsplay of it from a few(?) versions ago if you want to preview it.

E: Word of warning if you do, there's a few irksome "waste time" steps/quests that hamper you early on. I encorage mild use of creative NEI to help "get on with it." as their is so much to do. Swap Botania flowers for the colour you need until you get the seeds to grow the ones you want, and when you get the repeatable metal essence quests (such as Essence of Copper), do one, then give yourself the remainder you need to make the metal seed.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 3, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My only trouble with Regrowth was it kept friggin corrupting my worlds :(

My friend who didn't have any problems loves it though, and it was definitely fun while I was playing it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

My only trouble with Regrowth was it kept friggin corrupting my worlds :(

My friend who didn't have any problems loves it though, and it was definitely fun while I was playing it.

Ooo. Thanks for the warning Magres, I'll keep regular backups.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Anyone familiar with RFtools able to tell me the exact recipe for a perfectly flat, featureless dimension?

I basically just want the original creative flat map to play around in. Bonus points if there's a way to stop mobs spawning.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Anyone familiar with RFtools able to tell me the exact recipe for a perfectly flat, featureless dimension?

I basically just want the original creative flat map to play around in. Bonus points if there's a way to stop mobs spawning.

Pretty sure there's a no mobs dimlet. Just throw that in and bam, no mobs. As for flat and featureless, Flat terrain, single biome, plains should do it? Use Feature No Dimlet Buildings, Feature None dimlets to remove buildings. If you want the world to be made of dirt/grass, Use material dirt and liquid none dimlets (for no lakes/oceans) before the terrain dimlet. That should work.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

Pretty sure there's a no mobs dimlet. Just throw that in and bam, no mobs. As for flat and featureless, Flat terrain, single biome, plains should do it? Use Feature No Dimlet Buildings, Feature None dimlets to remove buildings. If you want the world to be made of dirt/grass, Use material dirt and liquid none dimlets (for no lakes/oceans) before the terrain dimlet. That should work.

Thanks, that worked. Now I have another problem: It doesn't stop about a billion tufts of grass and other flowers/debris spawning. Now I have to find a way to clear huge swathes of land.

The power fist from modular powersuits used to have a feature that would clear foliage and leaves from a large area with a single click, but of course, that's mysteriously missing from this version. The best replacement I've found is the sickle, but it's still incredibly tedious.

Does anyone know of a fast and effective way to clear grass/flowers?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks, that worked. Now I have another problem: It doesn't stop about a billion tufts of grass and other flowers/debris spawning. Now I have to find a way to clear huge swathes of land.

The power fist from modular powersuits used to have a feature that would clear foliage and leaves from a large area with a single click, but of course, that's mysteriously missing from this version. The best replacement I've found is the sickle, but it's still incredibly tedious.

Does anyone know of a fast and effective way to clear grass/flowers?

IIRC horn of the wild from botania should work.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Horn of the wild uproots ground plants, horn of the canopy (which iirc is like horn of the wild + leaves in a grid) clears leaves. I looove horns of the canopy

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I want to play crash landing but it's creator gave up on it. Anything similar?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Anias posted:

I want to play crash landing but it's creator gave up on it. Anything similar?

Galactic Science is pretty similar. I'm not sure if there are any ruins to plunder though.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Changes between Thaumcraft 4 and Thaumcraft 5:

First, Thaumcraft 5 is more of a mashup of mechanics from multiple prior versions.

Vis/Aura:
  • Aura nodes no longer charge wands directly, but refill the local vis. They're also fairly common, and contain only a single aspect each. This isn't limited to primals only.
  • Wands recharge directly from the Aura.
  • The Aura is made of seven parts - each of the six primal aspects, plus flux.
  • If Flux gets too high, an area of Taint will be born (indicated by weird purple cloud-things overhead). Most of these burn up on their own, but it is possible for it to become self-sustaining and grow.
  • Nodes can be moved via the Node Attraction research (not bottling). Nodes that get close to each other will merge.
  • The Aura itself can be directly manipulated using Totems, allowing you to move aura around.
  • The best way to see the Aura in an area is a new device called the Thaumic Dioptra, which displays aura in a radius via a 3d wireframe map. Which aspect of the aura it shows is based on which shard you insert - tainted shards now exist as well and do show the flux levels via the Doptra.
  • The Thaumometer, when held, will also show a meter on the screen displaying local aura levels.
  • Wands have had their vis totals drastically reworked - a basic wooden stick+iron caps wand holds 100 vis, while Silverwood wands hold 500. Fractional vis totals are gone entirely. Costs have similarly been reworked.
  • CV is gone as well. Things that used CV before have either gone back to using essentia, or, can pull from the aura itself.

Research:
  • You start knowing all aspects, both primal and compound. You no longer have to scan for research points or to learn aspects.
  • There are fewer aspects than there were previously - there are only 35 aspects now, while TC4 had 50+. The combinations for them have been reworked, as well.
  • The minigame itself is unchanged from TC4 - it's the same hex-grid connect-the-aspects as before. However, each research has a supply of research points. If you run out, you have to start over.
  • You will be required to combine aspects to get the aspects you need to complete some researches.
  • The Thaumometer is now only used for unlocking "hidden" researches. Things that can be scanned will be marked in-world by floating little question marks. You no longer have to hold the button to research, it's just a click now. You won't need to scan very many things.
  • Minor researches, or Easy-mode researches, are purchased via experience levels now, instead of aspects.
  • A lot of the researches got moved or combined. All the elemental wands are a single research now, for example.
  • Warp is unchanged.
  • Each tab on the Thaumonomicon shows how much of the research in that tab you've completed as a percentage.

Everything Else
  • The Thaumonomicon has been reworked. You can scroll in and out for zooming, and there's a search function.
  • The Infusion Altar works the same way as it did previously, however, now there are material upgrades to the multiblock available. One upgrade set increases speed and reduces essentia cost, but increases instability a little. The other increases speed and reduces instability, but increases essentia cost (and, if unbalanced, massively increases instability.)
  • In addition to the material upgrades, there are literal upgrade stones that are placed under the pillars of the altar. Only two exist so far - one increases speed but also cost, while the other does the opposite. Interestingly, they don't have to be balanced.
  • Nitor can be dyed now.
  • Brass has been added, made via alchemy. It's used in a number of recipes throughout the book.
  • Some things have been reworked to draw from the aura instead of CV or essentia.
  • The Alchemical Furnaces is renamed to the Essentia Smeltery. Creating essentia is the same as before, however, the basic essentia smeltery will lose 20% of all essentia created as flux to the aura. Better smelteries exist, but even the best still loses 5% - and that requires the Primal Pearl.
  • There are "upgrades" to the smeltery - the slurry pump attaches to the side and lets you place more alembics on top of it. The Auxillary Venting Port reduces the amount of flux produced.
  • Tubes, alembics, etc - all work the same as before. I hope you like essentia buffers. Also void jars do vent excess essentia as flux.
  • Golems are currently not in - they're undergoing a rework. Clockwork-based stuff does appear on the Golemancy page, however, including an Auto-Crossbow (a standalone crossbow turret) and an Autocaster (block that uses the focus placed inside, draws from the aura for power, can be configured as to what/who it targets).
  • Elemental Shards: Now grow on the sides of stone blocks, instead of being a block themselves. Supposedly, they'll replenish the vis in the area when it's low. It is apparently possible to farm them now - there's a research for planting them.

I think that's basically everything. Fair warning, areas of taint are way, way more common now. The few test worlds I've played around with, they pop up pretty often. However, they may or may not be self-sustaining - they're supposed to burn themselves out pretty quick, and only the largest and nastiest ones are supposed to be self-sustaining and keep growing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I have to say, as unsure as I am for the vis/aura changes, and as much as the inefficiency of alchemical furnaces seems a poor choice, everything about the research changes sounds fantastic. I look forward to not having to scan every single block/item in the game with every new world.
The autocaster sounds pretty cool too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
*Minor researches, or Easy-mode researches, are purchased via experience levels now, instead of aspects.
YES PERFECT

Having to deal with more flux is fine assuming the flux will either burn itself out or can be cleaned with some effort. This is especially important because of how void jars work now.
What I'm most interested in is how you deal with the finite amount of vis in the world. In TC3 you used crystal clusters to passively regenerate it. Will those make a comeback in TC5?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Aura in the air was an alright mechanic, it just had the glaring problems of not knowing how much aura you had and some bug making it super easy to just drain all of it forever. If nodes work properly and don't completely die so easily it will be a lot more convenient than CV

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

*Minor researches, or Easy-mode researches, are purchased via experience levels now, instead of aspects.
YES PERFECT

Having to deal with more flux is fine assuming the flux will either burn itself out or can be cleaned with some effort. This is especially important because of how void jars work now.
What I'm most interested in is how you deal with the finite amount of vis in the world. In TC3 you used crystal clusters to passively regenerate it. Will those make a comeback in TC5?

Ethereal blooms are still around, and will still be your biggest weapon against taint. I forgot to mention - taint now destroys blocks and water, leaving dust behind.

The problem in TC3 that there weren't enough nodes to deal with actual heavy-duty usage. That is distinctly not the case now - nods are all over the goddamn place. Like, one per chunk at least. Further, vis crystals, natural or planted, will regenerate aura as well.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Yeah, double-post, I don't care.

One last thing I forgot changed: Runic Shielding was reworked to use vanilla's Absorption system, instead of the old way it worked, due to how inconsistently helpful it was (and particularly for some people it was routinely about as helpful as a sheet of paper before).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Holy poo poo I knew some Forestry machines had idle power draw but I didn't know it was so HIGH. I can barely even get this Thermeonic Fabricator to run because the engine I have is a measly 10 RF/t and the idle power draw still happens while attempting to run something in it, and it's like 5 RF/t or something mind-bogglingly stupid like that. I'm just glad that it's at the very bottom of tech progression in this modpack I'm playing, so after I get further on I can just ignore those issues by using GOOD sources of RF generation.

Edit: oh my god the idle power draw goes up the more power is in the machine. I can't actually make the machine work at all with this engine.

Edit2: WHOOPS HAHA it turns out that the Thermeonic Facricator requires a shitload of stored energy to create the liquid glass it needs if you put sand into that input slot. If you put glass in, it's easier to melt because ???
The required power level for the recipes is actually rather low which means any engine will work, so long as you supply glass instead of sand. I managed to get it to melt the sand anyway by turning the engine away to build up power so it would output at a higher rate.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 4, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Holy poo poo I knew some Forestry machines had idle power draw but I didn't know it was so HIGH. I can barely even get this Thermeonic Fabricator to run because the engine I have is a measly 10 RF/t and the idle power draw still happens while attempting to run something in it, and it's like 5 RF/t or something mind-bogglingly stupid like that. I'm just glad that it's at the very bottom of tech progression in this modpack I'm playing, so after I get further on I can just ignore those issues by using GOOD sources of RF generation.

yeah, playing regrowth has made me remember how awful buildcraft power was before thermal expansion came around to make it sane

on my regrowth map i currently have a hobbyist steam engine that I wrench over into four different machines as i need them :laugh:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah, playing regrowth has made me remember how awful buildcraft power was before thermal expansion came around to make it sane

on my regrowth map i currently have a hobbyist steam engine that I wrench over into four different machines as i need them :laugh:

buildcraft/railcraft/mekanism from what i've seen in regrowth is janky but i have to admit there's a certain weird appeal to their big loud clanky multi-block factory machine aesthetic. TE is real nice by compacting everything down into easy to use single block machines and efficient easy generators, but it almost is a sort of simplicity/power creep - giant factories are cool too, if you keep making things easier and faster to automate then automating becomes less fun because there's no effort on your part. It entirely depends on the modpack though, others have plenty of other things for you to do and you don't want to waste time building machines all day, but sometimes building the giant factory is the point.

This doesn't mean that you should need the stupid redstone engine AND the wooden pipes for every input though, and other various idiosyncracies though, just that TE shouldn't be the end all be all.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wolpertinger posted:

buildcraft/railcraft/mekanism from what i've seen in regrowth is janky but i have to admit there's a certain weird appeal to their big loud clanky multi-block factory machine aesthetic. TE is real nice by compacting everything down into easy to use single block machines and efficient easy generators, but it almost is a sort of simplicity/power creep - giant factories are cool too, if you keep making things easier and faster to automate then automating becomes less fun because there's no effort on your part. It entirely depends on the modpack though, others have plenty of other things for you to do and you don't want to waste time building machines all day, but sometimes building the giant factory is the point.

This doesn't mean that you should need the stupid redstone engine AND the wooden pipes for every input though, and other various idiosyncracies though, just that TE shouldn't be the end all be all.

i'd be more okay with it if the machines didn't have arcane failure states with explosions as the consequence

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

McFrugal posted:

Galactic Science is pretty similar. I'm not sure if there are any ruins to plunder though.

Thanks, I'll take a look. First glance looks interesting.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Wolpertinger posted:

My itch for big loud clanky multi blocks is scratched quite well by Immersive Engineering.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Anyone know what causes modded Minecraft to start pausing (for about a second at a time) every few seconds after you've been playing for a while? It's annoying as gently caress having to re-start a game that takes minutes to load constantly.

If it helps, I'm playing FTB Infinity, currently. I don't remember having the problem recently with Monster, and I have 16GB RAM and an i73770, neither of which are close to peaking while playing.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 4, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Serifina posted:

Changes between Thaumcraft 4 and Thaumcraft 5:

Is there a way to delete flux in the aura? Does aura flux go down when a patch of taint appears on the ground?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mr Scumbag posted:

Anyone know what causes modded Minecraft to start pausing (for about a second at a time) every few seconds after you've been playing for a while? It's annoying as gently caress having to re-start a game that takes minutes to load constantly.

If it helps, I'm playing FTB Infinity, currently. I don't remember having the problem recently with Monster, and I have 16GB RAM and an i73770, neither of which are close to peaking while playing.

you may need to tell the launcher to give minecraft more ram

java is paranoid about consuming memory so it has to be explicitly told how much it's allowed to have, and most launchers will make this easy to change

also if the pack in question has Mystcraft and you see a pop-up saying something about Mystcraft baking a cake or something stupid, then it's Mystcraft doing its stupid "profiling" poo poo that hangs your minecraft instance

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I used to have a similar problem getting sudden lags and sub-20 fps when playing Blightfall. After a while of tweaking various settings I finally figured out my problem was that I had Steam running. No Steam = 60+ fps and no stuttering. Damnedest thing.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a way to delete flux in the aura? Does aura flux go down when a patch of taint appears on the ground?

Exactly. When an area of taint is spawned, that burns up some of the flux, and will burn more as it spreads, taints critters, etc. The danger is if it gets too big, because it can also cause flux-causing structures to exist which will then send more flux into the aura, allowing the taint to grow further, and so on.

Pure nodes still scrub taint and flux, as always, and ethereal blooms will help with the cleanup as well.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wolpertinger and I were talking about it last night, and you might be able to also use the totems you use to drag primal auras around to drag flux around so you can either have a flux landfill chock full of ethereal blooms, or you can spread flux out lots so it dissipates safely.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How are nodes used correctly in TC5 now? You used to be able to bottle up nodes and use them willy nilly but now you need a dirty magnet to pull it and it always pulls the closest one so how do you get a good concentration of nodes together to really build up a ton of vis in your base area?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Demiurge4 posted:

How are nodes used correctly in TC5 now? You used to be able to bottle up nodes and use them willy nilly but now you need a dirty magnet to pull it and it always pulls the closest one so how do you get a good concentration of nodes together to really build up a ton of vis in your base area?

There's these totems that pull aura, (not nodes, aura, which is the atmospheric magic that TC5 replaced vis with) from surrounding chunks, and you can upgrade the totems to pull aura from as many as 6 chunks away, which means they'll pull from every node in a massive 13x13 chunk area. So ideally you don't NEED lots of nodes directly in your base, you just need these aura looting totems. The totems run on shards, but apparently there's a way to grow shards now.

Magres posted:

Wolpertinger and I were talking about it last night, and you might be able to also use the totems you use to drag primal auras around to drag flux around so you can either have a flux landfill chock full of ethereal blooms, or you can spread flux out lots so it dissipates safely.

Oh the totems can work on flux too? That's pretty cool, can't wait to chuck one in a village a few chunks away from my base and surround the village with ethereal blooms.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

There's these totems that pull aura, (not nodes, aura, which is the atmospheric magic that TC5 replaced vis with) from surrounding chunks, and you can upgrade the totems to pull aura from as many as 6 chunks away, which means they'll pull from every node in a massive 13x13 chunk area. So ideally you don't NEED lots of nodes directly in your base, you just need these aura looting totems. The totems run on shards, but apparently there's a way to grow shards now.

Oh the totems can work on flux too? That's pretty cool, can't wait to chuck one in a village a few chunks away from my base and surround the village with ethereal blooms.

I haven't actually touched TC5 yet, but that's that was just the first thing that came to mind when i read that totems are used to move aura, and that flux is an attribute of the aura - it may be that you can't move flux with totems but it would make a lot of sense if you could pipe all your flux to a landfill of sorts (which would incidentally increase the chance of the taint hitting critical mass)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay so I've been trying out FTB Infinity's "Expert mode" and while the initial concept was great, that you have to use all sorts of mods in combination to make things, the execution is really stupid, with spikes of grind alongside normal progression. The first thing you'll notice is that to even attempt to make any machines worth having, you need a laser and assembly table, which of course costs like 10 diamonds. The second thing you'll notice is that AE2 is so endgame that you may as well never even use it(most recipes are normal, but the Energy Acceptor is VERY DIFFERENT). Then maybe you'll decide to advance through magic stuff, and your Botania progression will come to a screeching halt when you discover the mana tablet is a Runic Altar recipe that requires an entire pool of mana (the recipe results in a full mana tablet so you're only really spending half the pool, but STILL). Then maybe you'll go ahead with Thaumcraft, and notice that Void Jars require VOIDMETAL. Like, seriously. Apparently void jars are endgame thaumcraft items.

The last straw for me was the regular old JABBA Dolly recipe. It requires a steve's carts reinforced wheel. That requires three diamonds and a whole bunch of iron, through like five crafting steps.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah dude. Dollies are totally OP. If every random joe had dollies, they could do things like awkwardly move a chest between two places.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah, you can move nodes... But mostly you'll just be moving aura itself. It'd be easily possible to concentrate the aura of, say, a 40-chunk radius in your base area, using totems. Okay, not easy - it'd require quite a few totems - but absolutely doable.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

That will always happen at some point regardless of how you set it up. If you give it too little ram, MC will likely eventually crash, and even if it doesn't, GC sweeps will be more aggressive trying to clear out RAM which causes stutter. If you give it too much RAM, MC and it's 10000 memory leaks will eventually fill the entire allocation even if it's 64GB (I tried this once, literally. It filled all 64GB) and the GC sweeps will have to go through ALL that ram and that will cause stutters. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't type situation.

For most packs 2GB-3.5GB is the "sweet spot" where it'll run fine for the longest period. Don't give it more than 3.5GB with any pack though. It'll just make it worse.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TC5 actually sounds...more tolerable than TC4

maybe

it'd be neat to see if blightfall could be converted to it

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah dude. Dollies are totally OP. If every random joe had dollies, they could do things like awkwardly move a chest between two places.

I've decided I'm just going to cheat my way around the modified recipes for convenience items like that. I WILL SEE THIS THROUGH TO THE END!

Edit: Well, not the end. It's not like I'm ever going to make a creative cell or tank or anything like that.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Not sure if it can, we were just hoping it can, partly because it'd be stupid if you can move the other six kinds of aura but not the icky aura