Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The ED is also chill as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUYZFh1AO4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I’ve wanted to watch that since the alpha gaiden lp, is there a good place to get it?

There's a bluray available for preorder, otherwise nyaa

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the robot fights are by far the least interesting part of braiger.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GorfZaplen posted:

There's a bluray available for preorder,

wha wha what

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1415725174377226240?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's a Kickstarter going on for a new Pacific Rim comic and a hardcover omnibus of it and all the previous released Pacific Rim comics.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Willo567 posted:

My favorite episode is the one where the two tag along kidsget revenge on the guy who killed their parents. Especially when he begs for mercy, then tries to shoot them but is stopped by Kidd, and the kids shooting the fucker while the girl shouts "No more mercy!"

Just got to that episode, and yeah, there's some really good stuff in there! I love these J9 dorks, Yay!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Braiger is a weird mecha show because it's really good and fun as a whole but the mecha parts are almost universally the shittiest, most tacked-on parts and the show would probably be better off without them.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sometimes the fights are really great though, like when Braiger fights a robot panther with the brain of an actual panther and repeatedly suplexes it into Mars dome cities.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Braiger rules because its about mercenary killers who fight on behalf of widows, orphans, and communists against corrupt governments and paramilitias in the wartorn future hellscape of Hanna-Barbera's the Jetsons.

The action mostly sucks (with some exceptions) because the J9 team is comically invincible and the pacing is listless, but it's got such a heavyweight of a concept that it's easy not to mind.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 23, 2021

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

GorfZaplen posted:

Sometimes the fights are really great though, like when Braiger fights a robot panther with the brain of an actual panther and repeatedly suplexes it into Mars dome cities.

Oh, where's "That's Rad.gif" when you need it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Okay but seriously, me and the Fiancee have run into a major problem in our watchthrough of Gaiking: Dick. We don't like Dick. Nobody in show likes Dick. It feels like the writers don't like Dick.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Has it been established whether the anime for getter arc is gonna attempt an ending?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Artum posted:

Has it been established whether the anime for getter arc is gonna attempt an ending?

Nope! I kind of hope it doesn't to be honest. That'd be one of the greatest trolls in recent anime history

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Hopefully someday Go will get adapted since thats a fine note to finish on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Nope! I kind of hope it doesn't to be honest. That'd be one of the greatest trolls in recent anime history

Even if it doesn't, this year's gold medal for trolling still goes to Evangelion 3.0+1.0.

I think a problem with that plan, purely considered as trolling, is it'd be visible a mile away from the episode pacing. If there's not an episode or two to spare towards the end, then they're doing it, and everyone will know early. Also, it's just... weird, as a cliffhanger. It's basically just getting almost to the ending, then stopping and wandering off.

Looking at what information we have, it looks like we're going to get an ending. The first 7 chapters will be covered in the first 6 episodes, and there's going to be 13 episodes in total, leaving just enough space to fit in a final battle.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

Even if it doesn't, this year's gold medal for trolling still goes to Evangelion 3.0+1.0.

I think a problem with that plan, purely considered as trolling, is it'd be visible a mile away from the episode pacing. If there's not an episode or two to spare towards the end, then they're doing it, and everyone will know early. Also, it's just... weird, as a cliffhanger. It's basically just getting almost to the ending, then stopping and wandering off.

Looking at what information we have, it looks like we're going to get an ending. The first 7 chapters will be covered in the first 6 episodes, and there's going to be 13 episodes in total, leaving just enough space to fit in a final battle.

At the same time, the most recent episode was an entirely original exercise in framing done to introduce some of the things that were established in the manga for Shin Getter Robo. And not for the first time either, the show went out of its way earlier to introduce some new things and give flashbacks to stuff from the other manga series.

Though this might be considered a good thing vis-à-vis an ending, if they care enough to try and put in context for some of the stuff around the series it may be because they're trying to tell a complete story, ending and all.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

There's 14 chapters in the manga though...and they're adding plenty of original content. It could really go either way I think

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The manga had a time skip in the final chapter just to get to a spot to end on so I’d imagine they’d also need to fill in some gaps there for a real ending. Assuming the anime doesn’t add some twist they’ll need to come up with a Getter 2 pilot somewhere assuming Hayato doesn’t do it and it seems like a new Getter might be coming with Getter Dragon finally coming out of the ground.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 30, 2021

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently the brown-haired woman in the flashback and OP is Sho from Getter Robo Go, so I think we have our replacement Getter Kirik pilot.

For basically being a setup to go over the plot of Shin, this episode was pretty good! Some creepy moments, some mystery, a brutal on-screen death. It feels like Getter! There's no way around it looking cheap, but some better direction like showing less and some better sound design would go a long way to making it great.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
That's cute, I never knew that the shin getter/getter dragon fight in armageddon was pretty much entirely lifted from the manga shot for shot.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Iserlohn posted:

Apparently the brown-haired woman in the flashback and OP is Sho from Getter Robo Go, so I think we have our replacement Getter Kirik pilot.

For basically being a setup to go over the plot of Shin, this episode was pretty good! Some creepy moments, some mystery, a brutal on-screen death. It feels like Getter! There's no way around it looking cheap, but some better direction like showing less and some better sound design would go a long way to making it great.

As of episode 5 that woman is Yamazaki, someone Hayato dated and is probably super dead.

Also, neat they used Storm in the new ed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

As of episode 5 that woman is Yamazaki, someone Hayato dated and is probably super dead.

I'm pretty sure they were engaged. Hayato sent her out to defuse a nuclear bomb and, well... things didn't go great.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm pretty sure they were engaged. Hayato sent her out to defuse a nuclear bomb and, well... things didn't go great.

Yeah that was Hayatos fiance, since everyone he sent out to try and defuse those bombs were people he personally knew who volunteered.

Reading shin and refreshing myself on Go is proving surprisingly relevant. We're just under half way through and have covered half of Arc despite detouring into shin so they might yet have the time to do an ending, especially given the later chapters being fairly quick to cover since all the scene setting goes a lot faster in motion.

Gonna be weird seeing Gettersaurus next episode, probably.

Artum fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 3, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly this is just reminding me of how much I do not like the Getter mangas by Ishikawa

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I finally got around to watching Pacific Rim The Black. It's not great. There are some good solid ideas in there. The Drift messing with people's memories is a great concept to explore in the Pacific Rim universe, but the characters are so simplistic that it's mostly just "You lied to me in the Drift!" And it's in service of such a simplistic plot that experiences getting transferred between people becomes just downloading a skill into your brain like it's the drat Matrix. The science nerd drifted with so many soldiers he gained knife throwing abilities but still ended up with no greater appreciation or empathy for any of them, it's such a wasted concept.

The fights are pretty lame too. It sets up that the Jaeger doesn't have any weapons. OK, I assume that means they're going to have to get creative. But they just don't. Punches and running away are all they got.

The worst part is Bogan. He's supposed to be this scary smart gang leader but he's so goddamn stupid. At one point he has a Jaeger, a Jaeger mechanic, and two drift-compatible Jaeger pilots with some combat experience. And instead of, like, promising to help them find their parents or taking Boy hostage or something like that, he tries to murder the Jaeger pilots and fries the mechanic's brain. It's "See how evil I am, I don't even care for my own men!" but taken so far that he just looks like a moron. And at the end of the whole Bogan arc that's the bulk of the season, nothing has changed except the Jaeger has one less arm. But it already didn't have weapons and the loss of the arm doesn't actually seem to affect the little combat ability it had to begin with. The relationships between the three main characters has not changed. Bogan was fully pointless.

So it's almost annoying that the last episode is alright. We get a decent little characters vibing moment with the jukebox, Boy responds to other characters, and the fight is actually pretty good. And I'm fully on board with Boy being Attack on Titan. I can understand if other people think it's lame, but there's probably not gonna be another Pacific Rim movie so gently caress it, let's get weird with the expanded universe. And then they say the phrase Kaiju Messiah and I'm fully sold. I want to see where this is going.

So even though the first season wasn't good, the last episode was watchable enough and introduced enough fun elements that I will watch the second. You got me, Netflix.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I enjoyed it but yes it’s super super thin. It’s about 2-3 episodes worth of material in any other traditional mecha show.

enjoyed it more than the sequel movie at least

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was The Black done by the same animation team behind the cg-anime godzilla trilogy that was hot garbage?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm seriously beginning to think that more shows need to be at least 26 episodes to have more time to do stuff.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

I'm seriously beginning to think that more shows need to be at least 26 episodes to have more time to do stuff.

See, maybe it's my time with OVAs and modern seasonals, but I find one cour is usually enough to get the job done, if a show knows what it's about.

Most of the time, shows with more time still make all the same mistakes, just wasting more of the viewer's time in the process.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think there's any actual difference in the average quality of a 12 episode vs 24 episode show, but at least if I like the 24 episode show there's more of it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The only one cour show I can recall seeing and thinking "this would have been a lot better if it was twice as long" is Planet With.

But on the other hand, I bet Re:Creators would have been a lot better if it was half as long.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There are some shows that I wish had been a bit longer(G-Reco really could have used the time, I think), but the majority of shows would probably benefit from being shorter, not longer. Macross Delta in particular would have gone from a garbage fire to mediocre if it was one cour instead of two.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This isn't the case 100% of the time, but I think more shows take too much time getting to their point rather than too little.

Imagine a two cour Gridman. It probably would have been fine but it would absolutely have been a step down.

(For that matter, imagine a two cour Madoka, or Devilman Crybaby.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You could cut 2/3 of Macross 7 and have a much better series

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the thing is i don't believe many shows would have actually turned out better if the producer was told on day 2 of preproduction "actually nevermind we've halved your episode count"

there's plenty of 12 episode shows that waste their time too. my feeling is that's down to issues within the team/production rather than the number of episodes they were given

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Schwarzwald posted:

This isn't the case 100% of the time, but I think more shows take too much time getting to their point rather than too little.

Imagine a two cour Gridman. It probably would have been fine but it would absolutely have been a step down.

(For that matter, imagine a two cour Madoka, or Devilman Crybaby.)

I mean personally I'd rather Madoka and Devilman Crybaby didn't exist at all but that's just me

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what kind of moral dispute do you have with madoka that makes you wish all the people who enjoy it didn't have it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ninjewtsu posted:

the thing is i don't believe many shows would have actually turned out better if the producer was told on day 2 of preproduction "actually nevermind we've halved your episode count"

there's plenty of 12 episode shows that waste their time too. my feeling is that's down to issues within the team/production rather than the number of episodes they were given

Oh, definitely. When I say a two cour show would have better as a one cour show, what I mean is that the series didn't make effective use of its run time and that it'd be improved by a faster pace. Going back in time to cut a series's episode count wouldn't necessarily accomplish that.

(Then again, a handful of mecha series showed some improvement after they've been cancelled and the crew had to scramble to wrap things up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Oh, definitely. When I say a two cour show would have better as a one cour show, what I mean is that the series didn't make effective use of its run time and that it'd be improved by a faster pace. Going back in time to cut a series's episode count wouldn't necessarily accomplish that.

(Then again, a handful of mecha series showed some improvement after they've been cancelled and the crew had to scramble to wrap things up.)

It's pretty well documented that the original Gundam was improved with a reduced episode count, and most Gundam X discussions favor the end when they had to just get to the action rather than the flab in the middle.

To use the old quote, "Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."