Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's our team composition philosophy:

Behold does useful nothing and distracts the opponents
Snakes paralyzes them
Dickspear stabs them in the back when they can't move

It was, in theory, a perfect vehicle to give dickspear the maximum in-tournament kills, at the expense of actual competence

Behold: 4 kills
Snakes: 1
Dickspear: 7 kills

We got lucky and it worked better than expected, by a margin of three or four round victories.

Here's my final build

quote:

She has the following equipment.
Adamantine Helm
Leather Armor
Adamantine Mail Shirt
Copper Gauntlets

She has the following skills.
Level 14 Biting (Grand Master)
Level 3 Armor (Competent)

I think it's notable that the adamantine was essentially useless against Jon Joe's team (never came up in the logs). I probably should have gone with no armor and maxxed out dodge instead.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Dont think the adamantine showed up in the 3rd round fight either.

You should also mention that BEHOLD was originally an even more useless Whip Goblin until I begged him to change.

The guide that whoever is writing needs to start with 'have teammates that want to do well and not gently caress around with gimmicks.'

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

The guide that whoever is writing needs to start with 'have teammates that want to do well and not gently caress around with gimmicks.'

I'm still preparing that, but it's the second line.

The first line is "Do not be Spermy Smurf or Bad Munki."

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Thats solid advice.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Splode posted:

I based Heygal's guy's build off of anecdotal evidence from playing dwarf fortress. I noticed that once a fighter had high enough weapon skill, they never died. Combat logs would show that they never died because they never got hit, so armor wasn't critical.

It worked pretty well for this tournament right up until my assumption that a steel pike was adequate for beating steel armor was proved false.

That's pretty close to my build philosophy, but instead of weapon skill I prioritized dodging. Went with Pike specifically because it should be pretty effective against larger creatures (due to the ability to penetrate), and counted on anything with enough skill to land a solid hit not having enough skill to avoid being hit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Thats solid advice.

In that order of priority, yes.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You can go to heck.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Wow, let's not say anything we can't take back!

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

jon joe posted:

If anyone would like, I can do a general write-up containing CiC's exact builds and my thinking behind the team composition. As a result, perhaps we can see stronger competitors next tournament (though presumably the new version will invalidate some of my thinking).

Big counter-thanks to Maarak for coming up with Minos Jr's devastating build in the first place. The Minotaur was a sheer force of will and highly instrumental to our success.

The Minos build(outside of inevitable point cost changes) should work quite well in the next tournament. Big creatures with heavy weapons get quite gnarly with the way force is transmitted through limbs, almost enough to make a silver bow useful in melee. Almost.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Dont think the adamantine showed up in the 3rd round fight either.

You should also mention that BEHOLD was originally an even more useless Whip Goblin until I begged him to change.

MY fighter creation guide starts and ends with, "Get as drunk and high as possible."

I'll let the people decide whose approach is better.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Spermy Smurf posted:

Went on with a max biting gimmick, ended up our main damage dealer. :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Went for a big hammer, tranced the gently caress out.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

so whats going on now

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I dont know. The nerds were supposed to figure out the new version with bards and poo poo.

I just run the fights.

Edit: And mystery boxes

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

titty_baby_ posted:

so whats going on now

The power of knowledge

or

How To Have Your Gimmick and Eat It Too

1. Do not be Spermy Smurf or Bad Munki
2. Have teammates that want to do well and cooperate

But seriously, you all came here for the sperg. So let's sperg!

Here are Christmas is Canceled's builds at the start of the tournament:

THE ENTIRE BEE MOVIE SCRIPT: 7 Spear, 1 Dodging, 1 Armor, 1 copper spear, 2 wooden oak spears, & a leather cap
Minos Jr.: 5 Hammer, 1 Dodging, copper war hammer, iron chain mail, iron gauntlets, copper cap
Karl Barx: 8 Wrestling, 8 Striking, 1 Dodging, 4 Armor, iron helm, iron chain mail, iron leggings, iron gauntlets, iron low boots

During my testing, I noticed 4 "niches" that every good fighter (high win rate) fell into. These 4 niches were:
-Dodgetank Snake
-Skillful Dual-wield+ parrylord
-Stop, Hammer Time
-Full Armored Fucker

I think those builds should be self-explanatory

They worked well against one another in order of Dodgetank Snake > Skillful Dual-wield+ parrylord > Stop, Hammer Time > Full Armored Fucker > Dodgetank Snake & Skillful Dual-wield+ parrylord, each having 90%+ winrates against, and the special case of Dodgetank Snake having 70% against Stop, Hammer Time unless Stop, Hammer Time was partially armored, in which case it was closer to 50-50 (This also provided some marginal winrate vs the parrylord, making it closer to a 70-30 matchup in favor of the parrylord).

Here's WHY each of those builds are good:
    *The Dodgetank Snake is good because by getting primarily high dodge with a little biting and/or wrestling, they could paralyze any enemy without full or near-full armor coverage pretty reliably, without getting hit
    *The Skillful Dual-wield+ parrylord is good because they could reliably parry any weapon-using fighter with less skill than them, coming ahead in the exchange of blows pretty easily
    *Stop, Hammer Time is good because they have a hammer and are big, which is a big middle finger to all armor. Minos Jr's original build can puncture through full steel armor reliably, even on the largest of fighters.
    *The Full Armored Fucker is good because armor is cheap, and armor of the same weapon material being used is very difficult to get through unless you say Stop, Hammer Time or get really lucky on the chain mail. Note that this build needs to be larger than a dwarf to work reliably, as size determines armor thickness in part.

Here's the HOW behind the WHY those builds are good:
HISSSSS: If you have dodging at least 2 higher than your opponent's weapon skill, you'll dodge 90% of attacks. This only becomes more likely the more dodge you have. Because snakes have a lot of points and dodging is cheaper to level than weapons, you basically always have this. Furthermore, things like wrestling, biting, striking and kicking are more difficult to parry, so even having lower skill than your opponent means you'll often get through.

*parried*: If you have weapon skill at least 2 higher than your opponent's weapon skill, you'll parry 90% of attacks. This only becomes more likely the more weapon skill you have. Parrying becomes even more likely if you have more than one weapon, because if you've attacked or parried with a weapon recently, it's much less likely you can parry with it again. Furthermore, the high weapon skill means you can get around you opponent's dodging, parrying, or shield score with ease: Having more than 2 on your opponents means they almost will never be able too (except dodging, as it appears having even 1 dodging provides a pretty high chance to dodge attacks while not tired. More dodging lets you go for longer, though). Furthermore, this build will tend to tire out the opponent faster than itself, as I believe parrying costs less energy than making an attack (not sure on that though). How tired/in pain a fighter is compared to the opponent is more important than skill levels, even!

STOP: Hammer time requires a big and strong build (like our resident deadly Minotaur) to actually be a threat. Skill is only important for hitting an opponent, all the damage comes from size and impact area; a copper war hammer Minotaur does more than a platinum war hammer dwarf. As I learned in testing against the parry and snakes build, some of its loss can be mitigated through armoring.

The blow glances off the iron gauntlets: As I already stated, armor turns away enemies with the same type of material weapon, provided you're big enough and that enemy isn't a hammerer. This build can really do any offense, but wrestling and striking were chosen over a weapon with skill because they were cheap and could go through parries, even if less deadly.

Because these were team fights, I could go with the most extreme versions of these builds, such that they would cover one another's weaknesses. So if we were up against a snake, the parrylord wouldn't do well, but the hammerer would have a decent chance and the Full Armored Fucker would outright win. Conversely, going against a bunch of guys who could ignore armor with hammers or steel weapons would be easily out-skilled, as seen in the first fight against the Mafia Hit Squad. If the tournament was individual or 2v2 fights, the ideal builds would incorporate multiple defensive elements instead of relying on a single one. These builds each take a defensive philosophy.

The snake thinks, they can't hit me.
The parrylord thinks, stick and don't get stuck.
The hammerer thinks, the best defense is a good offense (with just a touch of defense).
The fucker doesn't think, because the fucker doesn't give a poo poo most of the time.

You can have any gimmick you want, so long as it's built on a functional defensive philosophy. Get high skill weapon or dodging if you're small, get armor if you're big. Have a method of ending the fight against at least 1 defensive philosophy.

As a side note, shields are middle-of-the-road options better suited for 1v1 fights: More reliable than parrying, but takes away from your offense.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 11, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
As some more side notes:

I think the ability of a weapon to parry depends partially on how its modeled in terms of length and width? Or something like that; spears and pikes parry better than war hammers, but not as well as a huge sword (given the same skill, of course, but the sword is going to cost more).

The blue weapons perform the worst against blue armor. Copper, iron, and steel all perform better against it, for some reason. So the only reason to get blue armor is if you expect blue weapons.

Non-blunt weapons of a better material than the opponent's armor will ignore that armor a lot of the time like a hot knife through butter. Copper weapons against copper armor has the most variance is terms of the same type though, for who wins.

Fighting skill makes your fighter worse; it's wasted points at best.

Armor skill makes armor (or heavy weapons!) less tiring and lets you move faster in it. You'll note Minos Jr's lack of Armor skill is because we wanted him to engage the fight slightly slower than Bee Movie or Karl Barx, since he had the worst defense.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 11, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jon joe posted:

As some more side notes:

I think the ability of a weapon to parry depends partially on how its modeled in terms of length and width? Or something like that; spears and pikes parry better than war hammers, but not as well as a huge sword (given the same skill, of course, but the sword is going to cost more).

The blue weapons perform the worst against blue armor. Copper, iron, and steel all perform better against it, for some reason. So the only reason to get blue armor is if you expect blue weapons.

Better than blue weapons do, or better against blue armor than against iron or steel?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Better than blue weapons do, or better against blue armor than against iron or steel?

Both! Iron weapons against steel armor will perform worse than iron weapons against blue armor, and iron weapons against blue armor will perform better than blue weapons against blue armor. I'm not sure on a iron vs iron against a blue vs blue comparison though.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Blue armor is really great for stopping hammers and other blunt things, though. Forgot to add that. Unless it's chain mail or leggings, which provide no protection against bluntness.

There's a great my dad post in this thread about how armor works, what it covers and whatnot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I guess the real question is what armors are best against fangs.

Please never tell, serpentgals are the only fighters I can build.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anchors posted:

MY fighter creation guide starts and ends with, "Get as drunk and high as possible."

I'll let the people decide whose approach is better.

Wait a sec...drunk AND high? Craaaaaaaap, I think I just figured out what's been leading to my downfall. :'(

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Hecarim was a Molemarian with literally nothing but armor (and a full suit of it too as far as I remember) but he was basically worthless :(

Like here

quote:

He has the following equipment.
Iron Helm
Iron Mail Shirt
Iron Breast Plate
Iron Greaves
Iron Gauntlets
Iron High Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 4 Wrestling (Skilled)
Level 1 Kicking (Novice)

The skills were garbage, but that ate up almost all my points for the first round. I figured that no one would be able to afford better than iron in the first few rounds, and my general plan was to just have a giant rampaging wrestlehorse going through in full armor and grabbing people and basically requiring at least two people to down him. And from my brief memory, pretty sure he went down first or second most fights!

Galick fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 11, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The mail shirt was complete redundant (since everything it covers was also covered by the breastplate+greaves combo, and it's not rigid), and a waste of points in that context.

Also, molemarians are biters. They will almost always default to biting. Your molemarian was most likely trying to bite people, but had zero skill in it.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

is there gonna be another tournament

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What format do you all want?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I design a custom gauntlet of custom fights for other players to beat or try to achieve some sort of high score. :v:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

my dad posted:

I design a custom gauntlet of custom fights for other players to beat or try to achieve some sort of high score. :v:

If you can do it as macros, that would be awesome.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

i'm fine with something like the one we just did, though it could be cool to mix it up with stage hazards

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

If you can do it as macros, that would be awesome.

Not anytime soon. I'm leading the French army. :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If we're going to do more, small 1v1s might be better without any updates. I really want the new version, though.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

my dad posted:

Not anytime soon. I'm leading the French army. :v:

So hurry up and surrender and then set up stuff for DF.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So how is the testing going? Are rock bands a viable team yet?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

So how is the testing going? Are rock bands a viable team yet?

I was just about to text email google-hangouts you about this... I've been really busy lately but everything should all be ready real soon now and I mean it this time

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Exciting!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Aww poo poo yeah, we're back on track to murderville

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Don't forget to keep me in the loop!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

:coolfish:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I have already convinced myself that I will win this one and not suffer heart shattering defeat like every other time.

The power of positive thinking!

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have convinced myself that I will make a competent build...

...setting myself up for disappointment as usual.

Although to be fair, I Bite You did pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Great news everyone! Jazz just told me it is all done and he is finishing up the macros part now!