Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Roight, nex' git starts gabbin' 'bout deez stupid numbahs gets ta play "doom diver"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm surprised by how good Doom Divers are, tbh. They almost seem to be working wrong, much to their advantage.

On tabletop they were just kinda meh. They're loving beautiful in this.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

You can tell the dev team had a lot of fun with them.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

Except that Gork is better anyway. There is no scenario where Mork's bonus is better, because Gork gives you the same advantage sooner

Depends on when you start and stop raiding and fighting.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
My doom diver frequently accounts for 90+ dead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doom divers kill more dwarfs than rock lobbers. their damage is high enough and they are super accurate to make mincemeat out of anything. add in the fire rate upgrades and they become monsters.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Dandywalken posted:

I'm surprised by how good Doom Divers are, tbh. They almost seem to be working wrong, much to their advantage.

On tabletop they were just kinda meh. They're loving beautiful in this.

The only strong Orc army in 8th was Orc artillery with multiple doom divers.

I love that they're so good in this. Best arty in game imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question about leadership bonuses. Do they only apply to units within the general's aura or are they army wide, with only active buffs affecting units in the aura?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Depends on the buff. If it doesn't specify that it's attached to the aura then it's army-wide.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

4th Horseman posted:

My doom diver frequently accounts for 90+ dead.

Okay but how many non-gobos do they kill? Poor little kamikaze bastards.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

ClassicFascist posted:

Fun lore fact. The way they get volunteers is by drugging goblins up with a potent mushroom brew.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly some Doom Divers actually survive the process. By using the wings as brakes so that they bounce instead of splat. Sadly for the veterans, they normally volunteer for a second go and normally don't survive that one.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

ClassicFascist posted:

drat I never considered that count included themselves.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Fun lore fact. The way they get volunteers is by drugging goblins up with a potent mushroom brew.

One of the events in the game is a poor madcap harvest so good.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Doom Divers are really really good and a primary reason you can actually do quite well with an artillery based orc army. If I remember right, there are also come great upgrades for the catapult in the tech tree as well. One of my late game doom stacks consisted of like 4 doom divers and 2 catapults. Only problem is they are gated by both a building and research so it takes a while to get more than the one that Grimgor starts with.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah having them gated by a highish tier building and a lateish tech is frustrating, especially when you have to research the Arachnarok as well.

My current campaign is Hard Dwarves and oh my god quarrellers are amazing. I've won so many sieges that I "shouldn't" have per autoresolve by just setting them up and cleansing a unit at a time from the walls. Thorgrim is also amazing fun and warriors are surprisingly solid too. I haven't gotten into too much of the later tier units yet but the early stuff is great.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Corrode posted:

Yeah having them gated by a highish tier building and a lateish tech is frustrating, especially when you have to research the Arachnarok as well.

My current campaign is Hard Dwarves and oh my god quarrellers are amazing. I've won so many sieges that I "shouldn't" have per autoresolve by just setting them up and cleansing a unit at a time from the walls. Thorgrim is also amazing fun and warriors are surprisingly solid too. I haven't gotten into too much of the later tier units yet but the early stuff is great.

Dwarfs definitely start with great basic units, and quarrelers made up an important part of my armies all the way until the end of my long dwarf campaign. An army consisting of warriors, quarrelers, and grudge throwers will get you very very far. Also, like you've found out, you can take walled cities really easy by just parking quarrelers (and thunderers) outside the walls. Just have your grudge throwers kill any towers that can shoot at you and sit there while the AI marches units back and forth on the walls for your quarrelers to kill.

The only real match up I didn't like for quarrelers was against chaos, in which case I'd trade a few out for hammerers to help kill the many units of black knights that they would charge over and over. I personally found the higher tier dwarf stuff mostly underwhelming (aside from ironbreakers and hammerers that is), but then again I'm not a big fan of gyrocopters. On the plus side, ironbreakers are absolutely amazing (though they cost like 450g a turn or something in upkeep).

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkzgGeKqHR4

Cygor preview.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
nerds beware

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Protip as VCs defending a siege battle, put your zombies and poo poo tier units outside of the walls so your wall towers can mince the poo poo out of enemies, and use your cavalry and fast troops as bait to have the enemy chasing after them most of the time. The longer you can force the enemy to stay outside of your walls, the closer you'll be to victory because your units are poo poo but towers are very good. This is especially vital if you're just using the normal garrison since the normal garrison is a lovely assortment of poo poo units.

E: followup, if you're defending as a race that has access to a cannon (not mortar/treb/catapult), put the cannon a little bit back from the gate but facing right at it. Then have two poo poo-tier units flanking the gate so that the cannons can fire right into the gate. The enemies will get stuck fighting the lovely units and your cannons can just blast away right into the thickest concentrations of units and not hit your own. If you aim yourself it's even better.

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 18, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gitro posted:

Depends on the buff. If it doesn't specify that it's attached to the aura then it's army-wide.

So say the ability on the orc warboss's melee tree that gives a +5 to the leadership bonus; that would be army wide? If that's the case I need to reorganize my army lines because I've been playing way to conservatively by keeping most of my units close to the general aura.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Man the clipping on those horns is something else.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arcsquad12 posted:

So say the ability on the orc warboss's melee tree that gives a +5 to the leadership bonus; that would be army wide? If that's the case I need to reorganize my army lines because I've been playing way to conservatively by keeping most of my units close to the general aura.

Uh, no, melee tree changes just affect the unit itself.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, that ability (assuming you're talking about the first point in the LD chain everyone gets.) is the exception, it increases the LD bonus provided by the generals aura.

Any of the passive army buffs that don't reference the generals aura are army-wide, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ah okay then that makes sense. I wonder when skarsnik will become an LL? I'd love to see an expanded night goblin tree with squigs

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Squigs would cost as much to animate as the entire budget of Shogun 2.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Clipgor more like.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm sorry but fixing that clipping would mean cutting the entirety of the Skaven DLC

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kainser posted:

Man the clipping on those horns is something else.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Clipgor more like.

Tell me about it! I need all my 20 foot tall, one-eyed, four-horned, boulder-toting half-cow monsters to look exactly how they do in real life!

M-my immersion is RUINED! :qq:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

clipping through the boulder wouldn't bother me that much but clipping through it's own arms is pretty lol

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

McGavin posted:

Tell me about it! I need all my 20 foot tall, one-eyed, four-horned, boulder-toting half-cow monsters to look exactly how they do in real life!

M-my immersion is RUINED! :qq:

"Hey guys look at me being contrary just for the hell of it!"

No but seriously why even design a model in such a way that it clips just while standing idly? It's just sloppy that's all you fuckin' dingus.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 18, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the final animations probably won't be so bad, honestly still looked like they were just showing us a rough/block-out, something that was heavily WIP.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Even if the clipping stays, which it will, it shouldn't matter except for people who take the time to zoom in and jerk off over their army mens.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm curious how the cygors will work out. They are so tall that they should be able to fire into the melee while standing right outside of it and they should probably be pretty strong in melee (weaker giants?) so you can't just rout them in seconds with some cavalry like with other artillery.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Even if the clipping stays, which it will, it shouldn't matter except for people who take the time to zoom in and jerk off over their army mens.

I'm a 3DCG artist and animator it matters to me because I like seeing the work of my peers

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Port that Cygor to Starbound IMO

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
TW:Warhammer is a good game and I enjoy it. That's my story, I hope you enjoyed it.

But seriously, gently caress full stacks of greenskins approaching Everpeak within less than 10 turns.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

They could probably fix most of the clipping by going the cheap route and modelling it as a broken horn on the boulder side. Honestly, I'm not actually sure how they could model him doing much of anything with those horns.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

just give him a really really tiny head imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

They could probably fix most of the clipping by going the cheap route and modelling it as a broken horn on the boulder side. Honestly, I'm not actually sure how they could model him doing much of anything with those horns.

GW never had cared enough to think about those things when they designed their miniatures.

• Locked thread