Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jack Gladney posted:

Shout's web store. It's $40 for everything, including War of the Insects which I don't think was ever released.

War of the Insects was released, I bought it several years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
Favorite episode so far is Lost Kingdom II. There's a scene in the movie where the boy starts whining about being the chosen one and Jonah just starts cracking up. That movie is all sorts of weird.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I haven't bought a DVD in years, but MST3k makes me consider it. However, I also started ripping my DVDs to ISOs, and putting them on Kodi. So really, I should just be getting my MST3k episodes from that VHX service they offer. I already have 16 episodes that way from the Kickstarter.

That was a lot of letters in caps.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Compendium posted:

I feel like Carnival Magic takes place in the same universe of Girl in Gold Boots, except just a few years apart.

Haha, yes. This is perfect. I almost feel like Laserblast is also in this universe. It's called the Sad Universe for Sad Lonely People of the late 60's and 70's. Also, Touch of Satan.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:holymoley: I can't believe how much eBay folks want for Gamera.

Any clues as to what other sets may go out of print soon?

It's always hard telling. I just got into the habit of buying them as soon as they release. I have all of them except the 10.2 replacement set that came out.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

IUG posted:

I haven't bought a DVD in years, but MST3k makes me consider it. However, I also started ripping my DVDs to ISOs, and putting them on Kodi. So really, I should just be getting my MST3k episodes from that VHX service they offer. I already have 16 episodes that way from the Kickstarter.

That was a lot of letters in caps.

That's a pretty good service. I just ripped my entire collection into Plex and used that to fill in some gaps. All the episodes download with no DRM.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Jonah's in a show on SeeSo called Hidden America, and I'm fairly certain one of the episode has the original Mad's in it. He's walking by a bar talking about regulars and the camera lingers on them for about 10 seconds before moving on without them saying a line or anything.

Could be mistaken, but fun cameo if true.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

EatinCake posted:

Jonah's in a show on SeeSo called Hidden America, and I'm fairly certain one of the episode has the original Mad's in it. He's walking by a bar talking about regulars and the camera lingers on them for about 10 seconds before moving on without them saying a line or anything.

Could be mistaken, but fun cameo if true.

Yeah, that's them. I saw them mention it on Twitter. That's a fun show.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I haven't watched Hidden America, but from what I've seen on Jonah's Twitter, a ton of the original cast appears in the second season.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Jonah, Baron, and Hampton were in Portland for the Bridgetown Comedy Festival, and one of the events was an airing of Cry Wilderness, followed by a little Q & A from the audience.

Cry Wilderness is just as insane when watching it with hundreds of people as it is at home, and I had forgotten about the incredible downer that is the closing theme song.

Fun things I learned during the Q & A:
Nobody knows what "the payload" is other than Joel, it is part of some multi-year payoff
One of Joel's original ideas for the reboot was having Jonah move to Pittsburgh and do the show live in front of audiences for a year
The monster rap from Reptilicus was one of the first things they filmed (and they can do most of it when asked)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:holymoley: I can't believe how much eBay folks want for Gamera.

Any clues as to what other sets may go out of print soon?

I got lucky. Back in Oct, an Amazon retailer was selling a new copy for only 70 bucks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Davros1 posted:

I got lucky. Back in Oct, an Amazon retailer was selling a new copy for only 70 bucks.

That's insane, I'm glad I bought mine years ago. Most I've ever paid for a set was $50~ for Volume 9.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's insane, I'm glad I bought mine years ago. Most I've ever paid for a set was $50~ for Volume 9.

I order them as soon as possible. If Shout has a bonus of any kind, I'll buy it from them, otherwise, it's Amazon.

Even the Giant Gila Monster "replacement" DVD goes for big bucks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After they pointed out how gross the orange juice is in Carnival Magic I can't help but see that in all oj.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
I finally got my physical rewards, including the mugs. I could have sworn the original design had a handle--I'm probably misremembering--but the finished product does not. Be very careful about putting hot liquids in them if you're going to reenact any scenes from Skydivers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jet Jaguar posted:

The monster rap from Reptilicus was one of the first things they filmed

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest because Jonah's so incredibly awkward through most of it. (Although it still pops into my head randomly when I'm riding the bus.)

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Everything Counts posted:

I finally got my physical rewards, including the mugs. I could have sworn the original design had a handle--I'm probably misremembering--but the finished product does not. Be very careful about putting hot liquids in them if you're going to reenact any scenes from Skydivers.

Like putting acid in the mug? :confused:

sex for sundries is fun, woo!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shout sells their sets for 55-60 bucks, so ten dollars more isn't too bad.

I had all the videos, but got on late to the dvd wagon, didn't start getting them until last year. So I missed the first 10 Rhino releases (Oddly enough, 11 and 12 are still readily available). I'm glad Shout is doing re-releases.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Overwined posted:

Haha, yes. This is perfect. I almost feel like Laserblast is also in this universe. It's called the Sad Universe for Sad Lonely People of the late 60's and 70's. Also, Touch of Satan.

Satan should have been in the Girl with Gold Boots, but I guess the mustached bad guy counts.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Netflix renewed 13 reasons why today, which premiered about 2 weeks before MST3K. So fingers crossed we get news in a couple weeks.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

mangler103 posted:

Netflix renewed 13 reasons why today, which premiered about 2 weeks before MST3K. So fingers crossed we get news in a couple weeks.

This is a much different situation because it's further out of Netflix's hands. MST brought a 90% funded show to Netflix and used the franchise fee to round it out. I'm not sure, but 13 Reasons was likely largely bankrolled by Netflix. Joel wants to retain a lot more control over MST now. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the bad taste in his mouth from Jim Mallon. He's already said that he may go back to the Kickstarter well, but that they'd need a lot less money. So basically if you fund Season 2 on Netflix, you are funding Joel's ability to remain autonomous and I personally think this is a good thing.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/860513290090405890

Joel doesn't sound super worried about it based on the one time he answered a question about it on Twitter. He also seems to be confirming that they haven't heard anything yet, though.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

You guys should really listen to that CBB podcast (or at least the beginning of it) if you are really concerned with the manner in which Joel acts. He was very straightforward there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Honestly, I can't imagine that a pretty cheap show with a guy who wants to maintain creative control is a bigger albatross than a comparatively expensive show that has literally been blamed by mental health professionals for a rise in teen suicide, so much so that the primary press coverage of it has been around that controversy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I said before that Kalan is moving his family to LA, which is probably the best indicator that they're going to do more seasons. You don't make a big move like that if you don't have a secure job.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Sadly I don't think the stack is big enough to be all the seasons, and from what I remember the quality is terrible, but I'm still pretty stoked I loving found them in my parent's death trap of an attic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Davros1 posted:

Shout sells their sets for 55-60 bucks, so ten dollars more isn't too bad.

I had all the videos, but got on late to the dvd wagon, didn't start getting them until last year. So I missed the first 10 Rhino releases (Oddly enough, 11 and 12 are still readily available). I'm glad Shout is doing re-releases.

If you're in the US, Barnes & Noble will occasionally do a TV Season sale and put MST3k sets on 30-50% off. That's where I've bought most of my Shout sets, barring a handful from the occasional Amazon $25 sale.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This showed up on my Twitter feed on Free Comic Book Day and it's very cute

https://twitter.com/smittygirl/status/858019026366345216

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Maxwell Lord posted:

This showed up on my Twitter feed on Free Comic Book Day and it's very cute

https://twitter.com/smittygirl/status/858019026366345216

Well ain't that something. I read that in Tom Servo's new voice.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
joel has a lot of leverage with netflix since he's proven he doesn't need them and he can basically self finance new seasons of the show

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom: Fun, cheesy film and a decent episode, despite there really only being one sketch that's any good at all, and it's not even one of the better songs they've done this season. I was surprised by how often I was actually laughing WITH this movie, like when Kor gets captured and has a plant lightly brushing against his face the whole time he's tied up.

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2: Somehow worse than the first film by several orders of magnitude. Combine the obnoxious humor of Pumaman, the shamelessness of Angels' Revenge, the budget of The Final Sacrifice, and a lead who wishes he had the raw charisma of Timothy van Patten in Master Ninja, and you have this film. One of the best episodes of the season.

Carnival Magic: This is a more stupefyingly bad film than Cry Wilderness. It might actually be worse than Manos. I can only rationalize it as a film by carnies, for carnies, that was never meant to be seen by the outside world. Was the main romance actually intended to be between an adult man and an underage girl, or is that just what it looked like? Did they really have to give the talking chimp a hoarse, gravelly smoker's voice? I need a shower.

Oh, and for the first time this season, all of the sketches are good and none of them feel like they cut off abruptly. I will be very surprised if either of the last two episodes manages to top this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Now I too believe in Blast Hardcheese.

Did they cover the rest of Reb Brown's amazing filmography?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

MonsieurChoc posted:

Now I too believe in Blast Hardcheese.

Did they cover the rest of Reb Brown's amazing filmography?

Sadly no, even though Yor feels like it should have been. The only full coverage of that man seems to be Spoony, who does Rebs all or nothing 'acting' great justice.

It'll never happen, but Strike Commando or Robowar would be perfect.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Captain America TV movies.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I feel like Carnival Magic has at least one thing that Manos doesn't: actual on set audio from the actual actors on screen.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rollersnake posted:

Carnival Magic: This is a more stupefyingly bad film than Cry Wilderness. It might actually be worse than Manos. I can only rationalize it as a film by carnies, for carnies, that was never meant to be seen by the outside world. Was the main romance actually intended to be between an adult man and an underage girl, or is that just what it looked like? Did they really have to give the talking chimp a hoarse, gravelly smoker's voice? I need a shower.

I have to admit, after watching through to the car chase I just gave up on the movie and watched the interludes (and by God I'm glad I did, that episode's special guest is magical).

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Carnival Magic and the Christmas movie were both uncomfortable to watch. They were great episodes, but super uncomfortable movies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Paingod556 posted:

Sadly no, even though Yor feels like it should have been. The only full coverage of that man seems to be Spoony, who does Rebs all or nothing 'acting' great justice.

It'll never happen, but Strike Commando or Robowar would be perfect.

Yeah, I discovered Reb Brown through Spoony's Rebruary, back when he made videos. I wish they'd get the full MST3K treatment, along with most of the Cinema Snob's output.

Well, you know, there's an almost infinite amount of bad movies out there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

CommaToes posted:

Carnival Magic and the Christmas movie were both uncomfortable to watch. They were great episodes, but super uncomfortable movies.

What the gently caress was up with that Christmas movie?

Who, at any stage, thought that Santa being evicted would make a good Christmas movie for kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

CommaToes posted:

Did I tell you I'm a baaaaaaby??