Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Loopoo posted:

Valk needs a nerf making her unable to throw cameras outside. Make them show "weak signal" or something like Yokai's drone does and make it so they give a very grainy and low quality picture. Cause honestly, even playing as IQ, it's next to impossible to find the loving Valk cams outside. It's absolute garbage imo, and when I use the tactic myself, it just feels so cheap and unfair.

The gently caress? Use your eyeballs there chief, just look for windows with the panes already knocked out on round start and figure out where the toss went accordingly.

About the only time you can't readily find a tossed camera is when they're in a tree (on House especially)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Capitão does not have a good gadget. It can be replaced by shooting people with your gun in 95% of cases.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Party Plane Jones posted:

About the only time you can't readily find a tossed camera is when they're in a tree (on House especially)

They stick to the leaves on that tree even, rather than going inside it. It's hard to spot if you're not looking for it but if you know it'll be there it doesn't take too long to find.

I don't think Loopoo's that experienced though, and I can understand them being annoying as hell for newbies. I remember how mad I used to get about C4 when I started, I couldn't believe people when they said you can listen for the velcro tear. Whereas now it's just second nature. This stuff is all just part of the learning curve, and things that frustrate you to no end on the lower levels become a nonissue eventually.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wooper posted:

Capitão does not have a good gadget. It can be replaced by shooting people with your gun in 95% of cases.

lol get out, how the gently caress you gonna shoot someone who's hunkered down in a corner with your gun? when they're holding a super tight angle that'll let them instant kill you the second you walk through the door, the crossbow is a lifesaver cause you can set their area on fire and force them to move.

as for spotting Valk's cams, I'm poo poo at it cause I don't know the cam hotspots.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Loopoo posted:

lol get out, how the gently caress you gonna shoot someone who's hunkered down in a corner with your gun? when they're holding a super tight angle that'll let them instant kill you the second you walk through the door, the crossbow is a lifesaver cause you can set their area on fire and force them to move.

Drone, then use your peeker's advantage.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

slap me and kiss me posted:

I'm here too. I've put over 650 hours into this game across two seasons, and assuming that they manage to fix the bug affecting my computer's performance, I'll 100% be picking up season three.

Same.

I didn't buy the Season Pass to get MUH 8 OPERATORS. I bought it to support the game. Improving its playability is just as good to me as adding new content. Frankly, we need it.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 12, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
The only thing I've bought besides the base game is the sweet emerald skin, but I'm doing my bit to support the game financially by dunking on people until they stop wanting to play, thus saving ubi money on server costs. :getin:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The gently caress? Use your eyeballs there chief, just look for windows with the panes already knocked out on round start and figure out where the toss went accordingly.

Or if you know there's a Valk, rush commonly used windows at the round start and shoot her as she tries to board up the window.

Play it cool
Feb 2, 2016

Jehde posted:

The thing is that people go full retard at the mere sight of an Israeli flag. Easier to just avoid that whole mess.

In terms of racism though, I just got done playing the Rising Storm 2 beta and forgot how entrenched racism is in that whole franchise. I would like for Siege to remain as apolitical and racismless as possible. Clans having racist name gimmicks is already enough as it is.
you're gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Interview about the health program:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/rainbow-six-siege/rainbow-six-siege-operation-health-alexandre-remy-xavier-marquis

Moving from 50 tick to 60 tick servers.
PC Siege is 25% of the playerbase as opposed to earlier R6 games where it was barely 10.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hey Hard, thought you might like this post I found (don't ask me where :ssh:)

quote:

I've never bought any game ever in my life, except this game, it's really great. And of course worth paying for it. I HIGHLY recommend buying it if you like it, it's a great FPS with amazing tactical elements to it. Can be a lot of fun and also can be taken very seriously.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I present for evidence that controller aiming is best aiming

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtMYzqyMe4b6gUbAwt1AyeA2w8fk -a Fuze taking down Tachanka on his turret (the turning radius and the fact that the MG has a poo poo ton of kick saved him more than the shield i think)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtMYzqyMe4b6gUe-qjf0BMpaPz6F -One of myself strangely using the Bearing as the great weapon it actually is! I ended up getting the Ace this round as a bonus :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Tachanka's buff is such a hilarious 'gently caress you' to previous Tachanka users because the gun accuracy went down a huge amount with the shield on. If it remained the same you might actually see people using Tachanka as something other than a joke/spawn kill from upstairs windows.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Interview about the health program:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/rainbow-six-siege/rainbow-six-siege-operation-health-alexandre-remy-xavier-marquis

Moving from 50 tick to 60 tick servers.
PC Siege is 25% of the playerbase as opposed to earlier R6 games where it was barely 10.

I hope they are doing more than changing the tick rate by ten and calling it a day as it would technically do both those things but at a 17% increase I don't know if you will feel it.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

That's a good read thanks!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hey Hard, thought you might like this post I found (don't ask me where :ssh:)

Don't play with my feelings by making stuff up. :cheeky:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard, after dude got removed from a match, he reconnected to it and now we are sitting at an infinite loading screen with two of the same guy in enemy team on the scoreboard.

Edit: 3 of the same guy after one more got removed.

Edit: 4 of him.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 13, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Wasn't the tick rate already supposed to be bumped to 60 anyway? Like... a year ago?

EDIT: Literally January 2016 patch notes. Did something change or were we lied to?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
In terms of sweet glitches I had a sixth man on my team last week. It was down to me vs 4 on the other team. But there was a doc just standing in spawn. Weird stuff

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard I still can't play ranked with friends since the game thinks I am in that match full of clones of one guy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hard posted:

Don't play with my feelings by making stuff up. :cheeky:

It's a real post.

SMP
May 5, 2009

For those of us who played the goon vs. goon all-pistol game the other day, here's my spectacular clutch:

https://streamable.com/57oe2

Got a longer video of those games here as well.

Tactical realism owns.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Wasn't the tick rate already supposed to be bumped to 60 anyway? Like... a year ago?

EDIT: Literally January 2016 patch notes. Did something change or were we lied to?

They changed to 60, the server couldn't handle it because it was polling at 16.67ms (or something technical that I don't really understand) so they dropped it to 50 a while back but didn't tell anyone

There is an explanation on reddit

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009
50 to 60 tickrate seems like an improvement barely worth noting

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

RocketSurgery posted:

Hard, 120 tickrate or we riot.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RocketSurgery posted:

That's 20% higher?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Duggler posted:

They changed to 60, the server couldn't handle it because it was polling at 16.67ms (or something technical that I don't really understand) so they dropped it to 50 a while back but didn't tell anyone

There is an explanation on reddit

To be honest this makes sense considering we thought the net code was best around Dust Line. An undocumented drop in tick rate might be the off rate we felt.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
I need to know when the ranking is going to be reset for the upcomming "Fix Season"

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's 20% higher?

Not sure you will feel it when a lot of players have 100+ ping and peekers advantage.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Can someone explain this peeker's advantage thing?

From my understanding, the way modern network code works in a situation with 2 players with 100 ping is this:

Peeker moves round corner and shoots defender. These packets are sent to the server and processed. The information is sent to the defender's client, which is played on the defender's screen. The defender shoots back, this packet is sent to the server. The server rolls back 100ms to incorporate this new information and both players end up dead, assuming both players shot before they should be dead.

Is this not how it works in this game?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CJ posted:

Can someone explain this peeker's advantage thing?

From my understanding, the way modern network code works in a situation with 2 players with 100 ping is this:

Peeker moves round corner and shoots defender. These packets are sent to the server and processed. The information is sent to the defender's client, which is played on the defender's screen. The defender shoots back, this packet is sent to the server. The server rolls back 100ms to incorporate this new information and both players end up dead, assuming both players shot before they should be dead.

Is this not how it works in this game?
Defender doesn't know that they have to shoot, because they are waiting for (attacker_ping+defender_ping)/2 ms (roughly) to receive the information from the server that will allow them to extrapolate the attackers position. By then, a swiftly running and prefiring attacker already kills the defender, from server's point of view, and the defender still hasn't fired.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ImportantIllfatedCoati.webm

This is just how Internet and online shooters work. This happens in every game, and you can't do much about it other than having servers in more locations.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 14, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://gfycat.com/TotalMeaslyFoal

Here's the Siege version of that picture.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Defender doesn't know that they have to shoot, because they are waiting for (attacker_ping+defender_ping)/2 ms (roughly) to receive the information from the server that will allow them to extrapolate the attackers position. By then, a swiftly running and prefiring attacker already kills the defender, from server's point of view, and the defender still hasn't fired.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ImportantIllfatedCoati.webm

This is just how Internet and online shooters work. This happens in every game, and you can't do much about it other than having servers in more locations.

Yeah but if the defender had good enough reflexes to shoot in that time he would still kill him back. I don't know why people complain about this. Would they rather go back to the Quake system of your character inputs not registering until they can be simulated on the server and sent back to you?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CJ posted:

Yeah but if the defender had good enough reflexes to shoot in that time he would still kill him back. I don't know why people complain about this. Would they rather go back to the Quake system of your character inputs not registering until they can be simulated on the server and sent back to you?
Sure, you can shoot back, or counterpeek, or prefire, or just position yourself better. All that requires knowing what's up, and many players do not. :shrug: It's not like we don't have droves of people complaining about dropshotting right now or something.

That, and edge case scenarios when you physically can't react in time asides, I feel the gist of complaint for people persistently vocal about peeker's advantage is either repeated "bullshit" deaths, or the gameplay flow promoted by peeking strats. A lot of people come into Siege expecting slow tacticool turtling, whereas in reality its 3-speed operators running and gunning on most ranks.

Don't think anyone is thinking about solutions other than more servers and tighter ping restrictions on matchmaking.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Paradigmata posted:

I need to know when the ranking is going to be reset for the upcomming "Fix Season"

Season 5 ESL finals are happening in Katowice next weekend May 20-21st. One could assume that some info about ranks might be given there.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sure, you can shoot back, or counterpeek, or prefire, or just position yourself better. All that requires knowing what's up, and many players do not. :shrug: It's not like we don't have droves of people complaining about dropshotting right now or something.

That, and edge case scenarios when you physically can't react in time asides, I feel the gist of complaint for people persistently vocal about peeker's advantage is either repeated "bullshit" deaths, or the gameplay flow promoted by peeking strats. A lot of people come into Siege expecting slow tacticool turtling, whereas in reality its 3-speed operators running and gunning on most ranks.

Don't think anyone is thinking about solutions other than more servers and tighter ping restrictions on matchmaking.

I play R6 with people 8 time zones away from me so i just accept it. It's really not a big deal.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CJ posted:

I play R6 with people 8 time zones away from me so i just accept it. It's really not a big deal.
It is really odd to read a tough guy complaint about complaining on Internet and in video game played en masse by literal children on SA Games forum out of all places.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Some people are undoubtedly just salty, but there is very much the issue of, particularly at higher level play, that there are people who are aware of how peeker's advantage works and actively seek to use/abuse it.

There's nothing to be done about it, really, it's just the reality of playing videogames on the internet.

Personally I'd rather that something was done to eliminate the huge disconnect between a player's perspective versus where they appear to be to other players and where they appear to be shooting. The stuff that got discussed a while back about shots appearing to hit objects/terrain screwing with the perception of where someone is getting shot from is a minor part of that, but I'm mostly concerned about those wacky situations where someone appears to be stupidly exposed when it's either hard literally impossible to see the person that has a clear shot on them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hard posted:

Season 5 ESL finals are happening in Katowice next weekend May 20-21st. One could assume that some info about ranks might be given there.

What's the over/under on how many times the server cuts out and disconnects everyone or the game (hibana, what have you) bugs out during these finals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

lohli posted:

There's nothing to be done about it, really, it's just the reality of playing videogames on the internet.

pretty much this.

better the peeker to have the advantage than the defender anyway. fits in with the entire drone gameplay.

you have to be at like top tier for this to even matter at which point there are a dozen other variables that'll effect the outcome. a lot of players generally just seem to want a reason to blame the game instead of accept the possibility that another player on earth may have ever at all clicked faster than they did.

the most genuinely gamebreaking thing i've seen in this game was people repelling through walls and that was very quickly fixed. you can also occasionally shoot people through walls because they'll clip through it. it shouldn't be the reason you're stuck at a certain rank or whatever if you're gettin' that serious about esports

Thief fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 14, 2017

• Locked thread