Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I remember loving the unabridged stand, and the first 3 Gunslinger books as a kid. All of this is from like 10-15 year old me though, it's been a long time since I've read any King.

I also remember really liking all of his older short story collections (Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Four Past Midnight, Night Shift, Skeleton Crew and Different Seasons).

I also remember liking Carrie, Fire Starter, The Dead Zone, It and Eyes of the Dragon and absolutely hating the Tommyknockers and The Green Mile. Fire Starter and Dead Zone are both probably better concepts then novels though.

Eyes of the Dragon was cool but for some reason I can't forget King referring to the kings dick as an "angry pink missile", I dunno why that's stayed with me for so long heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

How was Mister As? It looked awesome from the pic you posted.

Glad you had a great birthday buddy :-)

Fantastic. Great service, gorgeous view of the city, really good food. It's a once in a blue moon type thing though, I spent way too much. loving wine hits the wallet every time.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Ehud posted:

Should I read the Stephen King book It?

I liked it save for the problematic elements you've no doubt heard about.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

iospace posted:

Any sport, really. Of note: racing, hockey, and football (which is nice because they usually don't overlap too badly), with baseball in fourth.

Wisconsin and American (if it's two countries playing each other, anyway) teams, and if the game involves neither of those, I pick who I hate less.

Just going out for dinner, maybe a movie. I'm a sucker for simple things.

Who is your hockey team.

gently caress yeah playoffs soon

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
DU Pioneers baby!!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Wheel of time lol everyone nows piers Anthony the best

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm reading a joan didion book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Pkay it as it lames more like

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm in Toronto vacation time baby!!!!!!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Lol just lol if you're not illiterate

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Spoeank posted:

Lol just lol if you're not illiterate

If you are illiterate, how are you following up with this thread my friend? :smug:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

weird Asian candy posted:

If you are illiterate, how are you following up with this thread my friend? :smug:

You don't have to be literate to know what poo poo looks like.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Soup is always a good lunch option.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Text to speech and whatever you're the colon smug colon

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalli posted:

So yeah, young me definitely needed those extra 5 pages where the one guy sticks a gun in Trashcanman's butt.

"The Kid."

Even ignoring those pages, let me compare the way the abridged version and the unabridged versions start:

1. Abridged: Car drives off the road and slams into a gas pump.
2. Unabridged: Chapters of boring workday garbage.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I really wanted to like Doctor Sleep, but it's two or three chapters, and then a bunch of pages that endlessly references those chapters and then a bunch of nonsense and some kinda boring AA testimonials.

The Shining is still one of my top five favorite novels ever, though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pkay it as it lames more like

the book barn poster mel mudkiper

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

I really wanted to like Doctor Sleep, but it's two or three chapters, and then a bunch of pages that endlessly references those chapters and then a bunch of nonsense and some kinda boring AA testimonials.

The Shining is still one of my top five favorite novels ever, though.

Man The Shining is so good. Has some great scary moments that aren't in the film, although I tend to favor the film because Kubrick throttled the supernatural woowoo a bit.

11/22/63 was a cool recent King novel despite it being about time travel, which rarely turns out well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

iospace posted:

I pick who I hate less.

Have you considered a complicated algorithm that ranks teams on a completely arbitrary scale of social justice?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'm gonna marathon the first season of 24 tonight

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a neat cape posted:

Who is your hockey team.

gently caress yeah playoffs soon

Wisconsin Badgers :colbert:

(Wild for the rest of the season because I can actually watch them on tv)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

a neat cape posted:

I'm gonna marathon the first season of 24 tonight

Good lord, why?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

Good lord, why?

Because it's been 15 years since I saw it.

24 rules

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Spoeank posted:

Text to speech and whatever you're the colon smug colon

I'll get you gadget! :argh:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Eyes of the Dragon was cool but for some reason I can't forget King referring to the kings dick as an "angry pink missile", I dunno why that's stayed with me for so long heh

My dad used to say that was one of his worst written books and when I asked why he thought that he said it read like a kid wrote it maybe that's what he was referring to

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Probably Magic posted:

Good lord, why?

because 24 owns

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Stephen King chat: The Bachman books were all real good if you were an angsty teen while you read them. I'd imagine they mostly suck now, although the Running Man might still a fun short read. Maybe I'll go dig up my copy and try it out.

I've never watched a single episode of 24 somehow, but I still enjoyed the Jon Bois Pretty Good thing on it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Re king chat: dark tower book 5 a must read

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Metapod posted:

Re king chat: dark tower book 5 a must read

You men four.

Surely you mean four.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

You men four.

Surely you mean four.

I mean you should always read a series in its intended order so to get to 5 you should read 4 as well

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Have any of you guys ever gotten jury duty on a really long trial, or know somebody who did?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Metapod posted:

I mean you should always read a series in its intended order so to get to 5 you should read 4 as well

5 was when the series melted down and king started writing himself into it and referencing harry potter.

4 was the jam and he's currently writing an entire new like supplemental series based on that book.

well, not king, but that dozens of people that work for him.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ehud posted:

Have any of you guys ever gotten jury duty on a really long trial, or know somebody who did?

I was selected for a murder trial that ended up taking a week and a half. It ruled!

The jury I was on was trying the girlfriend of the killer who drove the getaway car.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

I've been on jury duty 3 times and never had a case. In Rhode Island you had to serve for 3(?) days, but on the 2nd, in the early afternoon they sent everyone home without ever having called any groups of jurors in. The other two times were in Massachusetts and we never lasted until lunch time.

My father once served on a federal case involving a group of guys who were planning an armored truck heist. They picked a state holiday to pull it when the schedule was different, bought their guns from an FBI agent and 3 of the 4 guys pled out and ratted on the 4th. It still took over two weeks, and like an hour of that was the jury deliberations.

One of my friends on the other hand had some case involving scamming medicare for services not performed that took like a month and was a convoluted nightmare.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

My only experience on a jury took the better part of a day. Guy was charged with drunk driving, reckless driving and driving without a license. Nobody brought up the license thing so we had to declare not guilty on that. It was werid too, since you'd think that'd be relatively easy to prove.

I actually wouldn't mind serving on a jury again. It was pretty interesting.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The one time I got called in for jury duty it was for one homeless guy beating the piss out of another homeless guy. The defendant spent the whole selection process turning around and staring at the prospective jurors.

I was so so glad I didn't get chosen because I recognized that homeless guy and I didn't need him finding me in a year or whatever after he got out

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Stephen King: I must have a read The Body (the novella Stand By Me is based on) at least two dozen times as a kid. Salem's Lot is probably his best single novel, not as bloated as all the 1,000+ page stuff and a solid story throughout.

His son Joe Hill is like a less goony version of his dad, at least in his writing. His short story collections are good.

Otherwise I like cosmic horror stuff, Laird Barron and so on. There's a whole thread in TBB with plenty of recommendations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Read Dreamcatcher and watch the movie.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

swickles posted:

and watch the movie.

don't do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Chopped pork from some lovely shack in North Carolina, with a side of vinegary cole slaw, and a big Cherry Coke

This is correct

• Locked thread