Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Yep! Now to go for the true ending. Follow Alxprit's answer to your question #7 if you haven't already. Also, how much dream essence have you collected?

1900? 2000? I've been Dream Nailing everything I run across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

1900? 2000? I've been Dream Nailing everything I run across.

Then definitely poke around in the area we hinted at, there are a couple things you need to do there for the true ending.

If you're stuck, that area is ___Ancient Basin___.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
gently caress it, I'll just spoiler this whole post.

So I'm fighting through Path of the Hallownest and on my latest attempt I made it up to Markoth before dying. I've been spoilered to a little of what lies ahead and I'm figuring Absolute Radiance is unlocked by completing the Path of the Hallownest. My question is, am I gonna have to beat the PotH every single time I want to face Absolute Radiance or will there be an express lane? Because even if I were skilled enough to breeze through every other fight that is an enormous timesink.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Applewhite posted:

gently caress it, I'll just spoiler this whole post.

So I'm fighting through Path of the Hallownest and on my latest attempt I made it up to Markoth before dying. I've been spoilered to a little of what lies ahead and I'm figuring Absolute Radiance is unlocked by completing the Path of the Hallownest. My question is, am I gonna have to beat the PotH every single time I want to face Absolute Radiance or will there be an express lane? Because even if I were skilled enough to breeze through every other fight that is an enormous timesink.

You can practice against him in the boss replay room, but any attempt that "counts" requires you to do the whole thing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Arrhythmia posted:

You can practice against him in the boss replay room, but any attempt that "counts" requires you to do the whole thing.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also I guess I always just assumed THE RADIANCE was female?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Applewhite posted:

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You also have to defeat PV again before the AR fight. If you don't beat PV, then you don't unlock AR.

Applewhite posted:

Also I guess I always just assumed THE RADIANCE was female?

I don't think it's said one way or the other, but lots of people agree with you.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oy vey!

Also:

I know they have some of the most obviously telegraphed attack patterns of any boss, but I can’t help feeling like a cool badass every time I beat the Sisters of Battle. What a satisfying boss fight. I wish there were an even more intense version.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Oy vey!

Also:

I know they have some of the most obviously telegraphed attack patterns of any boss, but I can’t help feeling like a cool badass every time I beat the Sisters of Battle. What a satisfying boss fight. I wish there were an even more intense version.

Yeah, it's a really great fight. The only thing I'd change about it is after you kill one of the sisters, they all die, since at that point you're just fighting the Mantis Lords again and you know, I've already done that

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Any advice for Knightmare King Grimm? This is ridiculous.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm playing this game blind and oh my gosh it's so incredibly wonderful! I got a spin slash by going up a mountain and meeting an old master! I just made it to the City of Tears and I'm totally in love with this game!

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Any advice for Knightmare King Grimm? This is ridiculous.

Post which attacks you're having trouble avoiding

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Post which attacks you're having trouble avoiding

Uhhhhhh....all of them. The problem is that he doesn't really go in any set order so it's hard to predict. I can hop or dash through the shooting bats fairly okay, but the dives and dashes always screw me over and the loving fire pillars are insane. The fact they leave fire burning afterwards trips me up every time. I've never even done enough damage to get him to shoot out all the fire balls and I've been at it for hours.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Get used to seeing the tells for his attacks. Each one begins in a different way.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The fire pillars - try to move as little as possible to dodge them . That's your best opportunity to hit him. So it's pillar, step a little to the right.

The hardest part for me was not instinctively shadow cloaking through him when he comes at you. He only has five attacks so you'll surprise yourself how fast you learn them.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 20, 2018

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Uhhhhhh....all of them. The problem is that he doesn't really go in any set order so it's hard to predict. I can hop or dash through the shooting bats fairly okay, but the dives and dashes always screw me over and the loving fire pillars are insane. The fact they leave fire burning afterwards trips me up every time. I've never even done enough damage to get him to shoot out all the fire balls and I've been at it for hours.
OK then. First of all, the shadow cloak is really useful in this fight. You've probably found it already, but if not, consider going back out in the game world to look for it. As for the big guy:

Divekick: I like moving away from him while he's airborne so the first part of the attack misses. That way you're in a good position to jump, letting his followup ground kick pass under you and pogo-bouncing off him once. You'll get enough air time to avoid the fire trail if you do it right, but remember you can use the double jump to save yourself from falling into it. Also, it's much easier to pogo him close to the beginning of his lunge, when he pauses for a split second after landing. Don't try it at the end of his attack or you might get clipped by his head when he stands up from crouching

Lunging claw slash: Again, I prefer staying low and just moving away from him. Depending on how close he is when he teleports in, you may or may not need to dash away from him to get enough distance. You can then turn around and hit him once if you're quick, but you may not want to risk it if you're struggling with this particular move. If you have your back against a wall, you may need to shadow dash through him instead. Either way, it's good to be relatively close to him when he combos into shoryuken because that leaves you in a position where the closest fireballs will be coming down close to vertically, so it's easier to find a space between them

Fire bats: The bats go high, low, high, low, so let the first one pass over you, jump over the second and shadow dash though the third (or thread the needle between three and four). You can get several melee hits in before he teleports off

Fire pillars: Note that the pillars only start dealing damage once they extend to full length - each pillar is preceded by a little ground flame that doesn't deal damage. This means you can do a stop-go-stop-go thing and the pillars won't hit you, as long as you get the timing right. The pillar attack leaves big openings for you to counterattack, so you want to avoid putting any fire pillars below the boss if you can. You can make more efficient use of the floor by moving away from Grimm when the first warning mark appears and then jumping and shadow dashing through the first pillar to double back the other way, moving towards him now. Remember that abyss shriek can deal hilarious amounts of damage to airborne enemies. Alternatively, this attack affords you lots of time for healing if you just equip shape of unn and move while focusing

Ground spikes: I don't have much to offer in the way of advice here, I'm afraid. You just have to stay grounded and move to a safe position before the spikes extend all the way out from the floor

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

No Wave posted:

The fire pillars - try to move as little as possible to dodge them . That's your best opportunity to hit him. So it's pillar, step a little to the right.

The hardest part for me was not instinctively shadow cloaking through him when he comes at you. He only has five attacks so you'll surprise yourself how fast you learn them.

Oh man. This is so true. I can reliably dodge everything EXCEPT when he dashes at you and then uppercuts. I get hit every single time. It's horrible.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You can also heal as much as you want during the fire pillars if you have shape of unn on

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't think it's said one way or the other, but lots of people agree with you.

Hi yes it's me, the Hollow Knight gender poster

From the Hollow Knight wiki:
The Radiance is confirmed to be female from developer commentary on Slack, as well as from developer notes regarding the Seer:

The moth tribe were (perhaps) descended from Radiance. However, the King convinced them somehow to seal Radiance away. I guess so he could rule Hallownest with his singular vision, as a monarch/god with no other gods. The moths sealed Radiance away by forgetting about her. Hallownest was born and flourished. However, the memory of Radiance lingered (eg the statue at hallownest's crown) and soon she began to reappear in dreams and starting exerting influence. The King and the bugs of hallownest resisted this memory/power and it started to manifest as the infection. Thus the first attempt to seal Radiance failed, and the King had to try another method - the Vessel.

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Nanigans posted:

Oh man. This is so true. I can reliably dodge everything EXCEPT when he dashes at you and then uppercuts. I get hit every single time. It's horrible.

I had a lot of trouble with that at first, because it punishes you for trying the otherwise faithful "jump over the bad guy" + "nail pogo" combo. The trick is to hop/dash away from him instead. You can get a hit on him as he pulls to a stop, and if you're standing just out of range of his uppercut, you're in perfect position to dodge the fireballs that rain down with minimal movement.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I love that the epic backstory of the game all feels like it took place generations ago but considering the length of bug generations it all probably happened like last year.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just beat Soul Tyrant on radiant after 3-4 hours of trying.

I got to the point where I can make it past the first phase without getting hit about 70% of the time, but the glowing orbs in the second phase just kept murdering me. Eventually decided that I was just going to wait until he appears floating in the air (rather than on the ground) and it worked out fine because you can force the orbs to go in to the ground. Jesus that was frustrating. I feel like the second phase is quite RNG heavy.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm playing this game blind and oh my gosh it's so incredibly wonderful! I got a spin slash by going up a mountain and meeting an old master! I just made it to the City of Tears and I'm totally in love with this game!

tbh, these posts are like 80% of the reason I read this thread, ty for sharing your joy with us, have fun!!!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I finally beat Nightmare King Grimm at exactly 5 pm today after about a solid four hours of attempts. I was making steady progress, though it was incredibly slow going. Finally, on my winning attempt, I guess everything just clicked and I ended up beating him having only taken a single hit the entire fight. Whoo! My final charm set up was Grimmchild, Unbreakable Strength, Dreamshield, Grubsong, and Thorns of Agony. I tried so many combinations, but eventually realized there's literally only one time I could heal (when he was staggered) and my playstyle is too conservative to make something like Mark of Pride really useful. Dreamshield was a huge help as it added just that extra bit of damage (Thorns of Agony and Grubsong ended up not being very useful on my winning attempt, but oh well).

I went into this game feeling like my "best" gaming days were behind me. I'm a grown rear end adult now with real world responsibilities and very few opportunities like today where I can just play a video game for hours. So, I thought this game was going to get the better of me, but it taught me that I'm more skilled now than I ever was in the past. Seriously, White Palace and NK Grimm are easily the hardest things I've ever done in a video game, and I beat them both. What a sense of accomplishment. I still have to actually beat the game now, but that's basically all I have left and I can definitively say this is one of the very best video games I've ever played.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanigans posted:

I finally beat Nightmare King Grimm at exactly 5 pm today after about a solid four hours of attempts. I was making steady progress, though it was incredibly slow going. Finally, on my winning attempt, I guess everything just clicked and I ended up beating him having only taken a single hit the entire fight. Whoo! My final charm set up was Grimmchild, Unbreakable Strength, Dreamshield, Grubsong, and Thorns of Agony. I tried so many combinations, but eventually realized there's literally only one time I could heal (when he was staggered) and my playstyle is too conservative to make something like Mark of Pride really useful. Dreamshield was a huge help as it added just that extra bit of damage (Thorns of Agony and Grubsong ended up not being very useful on my winning attempt, but oh well).

I went into this game feeling like my "best" gaming days were behind me. I'm a grown rear end adult now with real world responsibilities and very few opportunities like today where I can just play a video game for hours. So, I thought this game was going to get the better of me, but it taught me that I'm more skilled now than I ever was in the past. Seriously, White Palace and NK Grimm are easily the hardest things I've ever done in a video game, and I beat them both. What a sense of accomplishment. I still have to actually beat the game now, but that's basically all I have left and I can definitively say this is one of the very best video games I've ever played.

Congrats! I knew you could do it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The feeling of utter satisfaction that comes from finally dropping the Nightmare King is like no other. Congratulations, friend.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Just keep in mind you only need to win once. It's what I do when i'm struggling on a tough challenge. :v:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I Said No posted:

Just keep in mind you only need to win once. It's what I do when i'm struggling on a tough challenge. :v:

unless you're running a pantheon in which case you need to win every time

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

SirSamVimes posted:

The feeling of utter satisfaction that comes from finally dropping the Nightmare King is like no other. Congratulations, friend.

Now he should play Celeste. I found that game hugely satisfying as an adult with responsibilities because it’s always so encouraging despite the challenge.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Heeeey, beat The Radiance. Not as hard as NKG, but still a pain. I don't think it was as fun either because a lot of times it felt like the randomness of the attacks was unfair. Oh well.

Someone mind explaining what the hell the plot of the whole game is now? lol

I am incredibly dense and would like it all spelled out for me, please and thank you. :D

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nanigans posted:

Heeeey, beat The Radiance. Not as hard as NKG, but still a pain. I don't think it was as fun either because a lot of times it felt like the randomness of the attacks was unfair. Oh well.

Someone mind explaining what the hell the plot of the whole game is now? lol

I am incredibly dense and would like it all spelled out for me, please and thank you. :D

Arrhythmia posted:

Long story short, speculation kept to a minimum:

Long ago, The Radiance rules over the lands of Hallownest. The Pale King appears and takes over rulership. The Radiance starts appearing in people's dreams. This annoys the Pale King. He creates a creature from the Abyss, the Hollow Knight, to contain the Radiance. He also creates you during this, the Knight. The Hollow Knight contains the Radiance inside himself.The Pale King then disappears, and the Hollow Knight starts to weaken and the Radiance starts to leak back out. At some point in this, you leave the kingdom and then return, which brings us to the opening of the game. The ending you got has you kill the Hollow Knight, and take the Radiance inside of yourself.

e: With the slight alteration that in your ending you kill the Radiance

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Why...do you...do that? Wouldn't The Radiance be a good...being?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What’s so good about it, it literally reduces bugs to blithering slaves who slaughter anyone not susceptible to its possession.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nanigans posted:

First question: Because it's a better solution to the Pale King's problems then locking up the Radiance. Because you're a creature made of darkness and the Radiance is a god of light.

second question: The Pale King gave free thought to the kingdom, while The Radiance demanded obsessive servitude. The Pale King is hardly an ideal figure, for various reasons, but there's nothing to suggest that the Radiance is chill.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
you know all that gross orange poo poo throughout the game

it's coming from somewhere

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it’s me - sorry about that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nanigans posted:

Ahem.

Long ago there was nothing. Just mindless rear end bugs wandering around. Things you see on the sidewalk. Then the Radiance happened. It let them think, have a culture and organized the bugs. The only catch is that bugs had to serve it, not sure if it was a hivemind or just seen in a somewhat religious way but Radiance made it all about her.
One day a dragon or wyrm or whatever you wanna call it shows up and offers the bugs a alternative- abandon Radiance and you can have true freedom to live your lives. You don't have to serve him, the only thing you have to do is remove the Radiance and forget about her. The bugs agreed that's a better deal and began smashing statues of her and throwing them out. Without belief and being forgotten the Radiance was no more, just a banished memory.
Years later (like a lot of years later) memories of Radiance returned thanks to discoveries of long lost statues. These memories revived Radiance and let her come back to some extent. Pissed the hell off she started showing up in peoples dreams killing them for betraying her and infecting them with the plague. poo poo gets really bad and the Pale King freaks the gently caress out and tries to seal her away again but it's too late. He needs to contain this.
He and the White Lady get it on and make like a million kids hoping they can use one of them as a vessel to imprison Radiance and stop her rampage. These children are infused with the Void that's lurking below and left to rot in the abyss as they're mostly seen as failures as none of them are deemed perfect vessels. All except one.
Pale King rescues a single void child (while failing to notice The Knight following after him) and deems him the hero and perfect container. Thing is despite the millions of dead kids he still wants to be a good dad so he shows compassion to the vessel- which in turn loves him back.
THK grows old and takes up containing the Radiance and peace is restored for the time being. The King then gets three powerful bugs to agree to seal THK away by trapping themselves in dreams where no one can reach them. Various things happen but they all wind up agreeing. Pale King is satisfied.

Until Radiance returns despite all that. From here it's pretty murky but things fall apart fast as that was their last trump card. PK and White Lady assume it failed because they showed kindness and love to THK as it grew older and thus ruined how "empty" it was. People begin dying and the Pale King vanishes. Your Knight Emerges *somehow* and simply sets out to do what THK couldn't.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 21, 2018

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I don't think there's anything that suggests that the Radiance demanded servitude, just that the moth tribe worshiped her (being moths, duh). Even if the Radiance isn't a malevolent entity, she still serves the roll as an antagonist to the entire kingdom of bugs, so she gotta go.

Someone remind me, is the Wyrm whose body is dissolving in Kingdom's edge the previous incarnation of the Pale Wyrm? I know the KE Wyrm's body formed the substance that Hallownest was constructed from, so if it's one and the same as the Pale Wyrm then he's got a bit of a claim to Hallownest as things stand. Still doesn't excuse him of going 'laterz' after things go tits up with containing the infection. Also, Hallownest was most definitely not the first civilization of bugs. Even ignoring ones that have left no trace, all of the statues that contain soul are relics of some civilization that absolutely nothing is known of.

The only thing we know about Wyrms in general is ???????????, right?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

I don't think there's anything that suggests that the Radiance demanded servitude, just that the moth tribe worshiped her (being moths, duh). Even if the Radiance isn't a malevolent entity, she still serves the roll as an antagonist to the entire kingdom of bugs, so she gotta go.

Someone remind me, is the Wyrm whose body is dissolving in Kingdom's edge the previous incarnation of the Pale Wyrm? I know the KE Wyrm's body formed the substance that Hallownest was constructed from, so if it's one and the same as the Pale Wyrm then he's got a bit of a claim to Hallownest as things stand. Still doesn't excuse him of going 'laterz' after things go tits up with containing the infection. Also, Hallownest was most definitely not the first civilization of bugs. Even ignoring ones that have left no trace, all of the statues that contain soul are relics of some civilization that absolutely nothing is known of.

Yes, that's the Pale King.

Bardoon: "This ashen place is grave of Wyrm. Once told, it came to die. But what is death for that ancient being? More transformation methinks.
This failed kingdom is product of the being spawned from that event."

We also know Bardoon isn't a Wyrm, they have less limbs than him, and more "foresight", though he is similar enough that he thinks the knight may have mistaken him for one.

Furthermore, we know that Radiance demands such, from Bardoon "I resist the light's allure. Union it may offer, but also a mind bereft of thought... To instinct alone a bug is reduced...Hrrm...".

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

A big flaming stink posted:

All we know about Wyrms:
1) They're loving massive
2) They cannot perish and just become something else whenever their forms "die"
3) They're possibly extinct via having all turned into stuff and hosed off somewhere