Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i keep having to go to the bathroom only to fart and im really tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol you're wearing a cloth mask where the aresols are coming from now

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
iso N95 for my rear end

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Mar 4, 2023

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

i keep having to go to the bathroom only to fart and im really tired.

me too but my pcr was negative so i guess im not sick i just feel bad all the time forever now

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012
Does anyone have some (literature, or news) sources about this new variant causing upset stomach? My boss has two kids that are exorcist puking everywhere and even though she is "feeling unwell too" I think she might come in unless I can gently suggest this might be COVID. Honestly I don't see why you'd come in if it was "only" a norovirus but :shrug:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hello here is America in its truest form
https://twitter.com/MileyCyrus/status/1510019986097520640

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Sure I got covid and it might melt my brain but I got to gently caress around and assume I won't find out real bad. WORTH IT.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Shiroc posted:

Sure I got covid and it might melt my brain but I got to gently caress around and assume I won't find out real bad. WORTH IT.
I just sing professionally, totes worth it to get a virus that might gently caress up my lungs

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/30/well/live/ba2-omicron-covid.html?referringSource=articleShare

lmfao at each of these seven suggestions

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

joethesurly posted:

Does anyone have some (literature, or news) sources about this new variant causing upset stomach? My boss has two kids that are exorcist puking everywhere and even though she is "feeling unwell too" I think she might come in unless I can gently suggest this might be COVID. Honestly I don't see why you'd come in if it was "only" a norovirus but :shrug:

https://www.livemint.com/science/he...5436932335.html

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

At any given time a new COVID immune evasion mutation has the chance to infect very roughly one billion humans within a year. In prehistoric (pre-agricultural) times a similar viral mutation might be able to infect maybe one thousand people in a year? Just given how slowly people move over land, overall lower population densities and transmission opportunities

Assuming total viral mutation opportunities scale in proportion to the number of infections, this implies COVID can evolve very roughly one million times faster now then a similar prehistorical virus would have evolved. Or every calendar year for COVID is effectively equivalent to one million years of typical prehistoric viral evolution.

This can't be right.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

:(

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1510423074436485130?t=e9AVXFq9zUsHkBJ1TLaU0g&s=19

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Nocturtle posted:

At any given time a new COVID immune evasion mutation has the chance to infect very roughly one billion humans within a year. In prehistoric (pre-agricultural) times a similar viral mutation might be able to infect maybe one thousand people in a year? Just given how slowly people move over land, overall lower population densities and transmission opportunities

Assuming total viral mutation opportunities scale in proportion to the number of infections, this implies COVID can evolve very roughly one million times faster now then a similar prehistorical virus would have evolved. Or every calendar year for COVID is effectively equivalent to one million years of typical prehistoric viral evolution.

This can't be right.

yeah, i was thinking about this the other day. prehistoric societies were small and insular. the chances of viral burn out were possible. we're like all the concentrated animal feeding operation poultry getting AI right now.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I’m watching the UNC-Duke game. Packed stadium, literally zero masks, even on random photographers or whatever. Wonder if there’s a rule against them.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
One million years of evolution in a year? Sounds like it will be mild in no time. Covid over?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

it sure is a good thing that it can only evolve to become more mild!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Mar 4, 2023

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

fosborb posted:

iso N95 for my rear end

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

NeonPunk posted:

Are they also counting Hong Kong into their cases numbers? Because uhhhh.... oof

That's mainland China, I'm afraid. It's been showing all the signs of taking off for a couple weeks. They tried real hard, but they never got infections back down and it was only a matter of time.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Oh hey, just wondering what Shanghai factories are known for and what I should buy before it runs out of stock for maybe the rest of 2022? Haha, just like out of curiosity.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It is still one or two cities in China or has it fully broken loose?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Oh hey, just wondering what Shanghai factories are known for and what I should buy before it runs out of stock for maybe the rest of 2022? Haha, just like out of curiosity.

:mad:
mask

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Shiroc posted:

There's an outbreak in one of the provinces that borders North Korea too. Jilin I think.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lmfao hellnation

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

A large bat colony might consist of several thousand individuals. So a mutated virus to which bats are immune naive could infect maybe 10000 to 100000 bats per year, including potential reinfections or maybe bats move between colonies sometimes. So SARS-COV-2 in humans is potentially evolving only 10000 to 100000 times faster than its ancestor ever could in bat populations. Also bats never achieved herd immunity, someone should tell them that's a thing.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Would be neat to get an answer, just for fun!

For one thing Shanghai is the world's busiest container port, so it's not even just what's produced there locally but supplies of what's shipped from there to everywhere else that will be impacted.

edit: apparently the Shanghai lockdown only really started last Monday, so it might be too early yet to see the impact in case counts due to the extended viral incubation period. Should be clearer in a week.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Apr 3, 2022

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nocturtle posted:

This can't be right.

What I'm gathering from this is that the Haber-Bosch process was a mistake. :haw:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Shiroc posted:

The posts before It happened

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

That's mainland China, I'm afraid. It's been showing all the signs of taking off for a couple weeks. They tried real hard, but they never got infections back down and it was only a matter of time.

Worldometers shows 1,506 cases, so I suspect Hong Kong is about 11,600 cases unless BNO is including 2nd, 3rd, 47th, etc. positives and not completely new cases.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

is this supposed to be an april fools joke...?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
you know if i'm gonna cause permanent damage to all my organs it's going to be for something actually worthwhile, like drinking until i'm blind

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Horseshoe theory posted:

Worldometers shows 1,506 cases, so I suspect Hong Kong is about 11,600 cases unless BNO is including 2nd, 3rd, 47th, etc. positives and not completely new cases.

They probably just haven't updated. Google uses Johns Hopkins data and they reported about 10k new cases yesterday. The numbers keep getting revised upward in the Johns Hopkins data too.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zugzwang posted:

I’m watching the UNC-Duke game. Packed stadium, literally zero masks, even on random photographers or whatever. Wonder if there’s a rule against them.

At NCAA wrestling a couple weeks ago the crowds were totally unmasked but there were a bunch of random refs, mat officials, and photographers masked up so I assume it’s not a rule but just everyone giving up.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

At NCAA wrestling a couple weeks ago the crowds were totally unmasked but there were a bunch of random refs, mat officials, and photographers masked up so I assume it’s not a rule but just everyone giving up.
There’s that!

Update: literally two masks seen in the game, on (1) Roy Williams, UNC’s former coach and (2) his wife I think.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

I’m watching the UNC-Duke game.
why? it's all rigged. Coach K's gonna get it all

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

why? it's all rigged. Coach K's gonna get it all
:wrong:

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

Thanks a million.

Btw folks, if you haven't done it already your insurance should still provide 8 free COVID kits. Mine had a few hoops involved but they even shipped them for free to my door.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

joethesurly posted:

Thanks a million.

Btw folks, if you haven't done it already your insurance should still provide 8 free COVID kits. Mine had a few hoops involved but they even shipped them for free to my door.

no deductible?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Nocturtle posted:

edit: apparently the Shanghai lockdown only really started last Monday, so it might be too early yet to see the impact in case counts due to the extended viral incubation period. Should be clearer in a week.

before the crisis you could figure thirty days or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Louisgod posted:

also what medication or vitamins should I be taking or giving my kids leading up to the 5 day mark that could possibly help us? is there anything?

vitamin d is a common recommendation. fyi:

https://twitter.com/AshleyGWinter/status/1510275919868411909?t=mDktIkfkBj_cFb61K1MX5Q&s=19