Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Christopher Robin posted:

I've watched videos of this and it's just really gutwrenching stuff. You can see people waving from the holes in the building, jumping out together holding hands, that kind of stuff. It's horrifying.

I saw a documentary once which included an interview with a fireman who was there. He said of all the things he saw and heard that day, one of the worst was the sound of the jumpers striking the roofs and pavement below.

For content, have the Villisca Axe Murders been brought up yet? In the space of a single night, two adults and six children are savagely hacked and bludgeoned to death with an axe by some unknown assailant. Because criminal investigation was in its infancy at that point, whoever did it was simply able to...walk away and never be caught.

Astrofig has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The scariest part is this.

quote:

At 7 a.m. the next day, Mary Peckham, the Moores' neighbor, became concerned after she noticed that the Moore family had not come out to do their morning chores. Peckham knocked on the Moores' door. When nobody answered, she tried to open the door and discovered that it was locked.

It's seven in the goddamn morning. gently caress off Mary and mind your own business.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Seven in the morning's late for rural folk. Reasonable enough for her to get antsy when none of 'em are out there squeezin' cow titty or whatever.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
That axe murder on the farm reminds me of the homicides at the rural Bavarian farm, Hinterkaifeck, in the early 1920s. I've always thought this was an interesting case, with all the hallmarks of a work of really eerie murder fiction. Fittingly, it's been adapted to film three times, and has formed the basis of two novels, as well.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

prick with tenure posted:

I remember reading once in a Zack Parsons article on the front page about how geologists found a large cave under the ocean that likely contained air-filled chambers. I can't find the article now (it was a few years ago) but I remember finding the idea unnerving, especially when wondering what might live down there. Anyone know what I'm talking about or if there are any recent discoveries related to this cave?

I am holding out hope that one of these days Nova or National Geographic will discover a society of subterranean humans living in such an environment. Fresh oxygen would be supplied by highly adapted algae (or, you know, holes), and the people would subsist on a diet of cave crawfish and sea plants.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's pretty nuts that there are still parts of the Earth that are above ground that are totally uncharted because of the crazy poo poo that lives there that will kill you. God forbid under the ocean, where things don't even need eyes to know they can eat you whole in one massive distended jaw gulp.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Underwater pockets like that can't be all that common thought. The rock would have to be basically impermeable to prevent seepage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also the atmosphere would break down eventually unless there were exchange with the outside somewhere.

Lake Vostok, though, could hold some cool and/or scary poo poo:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Vostok

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That article says an ice core was taken in 2012, but has yet to be studied? What's up with that?

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Astrofig posted:

For content, have the Villisca Axe Murders been brought up yet? In the space of a single night, two adults and six children are savagely hacked and bludgeoned to death with an axe by some unknown assailant. Because criminal investigation was in its infancy at that point, whoever did it was simply able to...walk away and never be caught.

http://www.seacoastnh.com/smuttynose/history.html

This is another axe murder, but this one was solved. The idea of being trapped on a small island with someone who wants you dead and no way to get help is chilling.

LizzieBorden has a new favorite as of 12:34 on Apr 26, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The scariest part is this.

It's seven in the goddamn morning. gently caress off Mary and mind your own business.

If the chores involve farm-type work then yeah, this would be seen as super-weird by neighbors; you can't miss milking a cow, for example. A farm owner not outside doing his farmwork on time is basically shorthand for "I can't get outside under my own power for some reason and am either dead or under duress, please come and find out what's going on."

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Oh hey cool, someone has walked through the snow to my house and not left afterwards! Hey cool someone's just chilling out in my attic and leaving the paper about the place! Hey I'll tell my friends this but you know it's no big deal, honestly, No one look into it. I've got a house full of kids and grand kids, but whatever guys it's cool I'm sure it's just some dude living up there.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Astrofig posted:

I saw a documentary once which included an interview with a fireman who was there. He said of all the things he saw and heard that day, one of the worst was the sound of the jumpers striking the roofs and pavement below.

I like that list of suspects "It might be one of those creepy guys who's been hanging around lately. Or, you know what, it could be that guy who's an axe murderer. He's been acting pretty shady."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I like that list of suspects "It might be one of those creepy guys who's been hanging around lately. Or, you know what, it could be that guy who's an axe murderer. He's been acting pretty shady."

Nah, he was axe murdering somwhere else that night.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Yeah, that's what struck me about that list. Everyone fixated on the creepy pedo reverend, but it was pretty obvious that the axe murderer was probably the guy who committed the axe murder.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Rajneeshee_bioterror_attack

Here's a unique (and batshit crazy) approach to gaining political power...

"The 1984 Rajneeshee bioterror attack was the food poisoning of 751 individuals in The Dalles, Oregon, United States, through the deliberate contamination of salad bars at ten local restaurants with salmonella. A leading group of followers of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (later known as Osho) had hoped to incapacitate the voting population of the city so that their own candidates would win the 1984 Wasco County elections.[2] The incident was the first and single largest bioterrorist attack in United States history.[3][4] The attack is one of only two confirmed terrorist uses of biological weapons to harm humans since 1945.[5]"

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Centripetal Horse posted:

I am holding out hope that one of these days Nova or National Geographic will discover a society of subterranean humans living in such an environment. Fresh oxygen would be supplied by highly adapted algae (or, you know, holes), and the people would subsist on a diet of cave crawfish and sea plants.

I hope these little dudes are found to be extant someday. I read someone mention somewhere on this forum years ago that they lived recently enough that they still exist in the cultural consciousness of myths in the region.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

The_Raven posted:

Here's a unique (and batshit crazy) approach to gaining political power...

"The 1984 Rajneeshee bioterror attack was the food poisoning of 751 individuals in The Dalles, Oregon, United States, through the deliberate contamination of salad bars at ten local restaurants with salmonella. A leading group of followers of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (later known as Osho) had hoped to incapacitate the voting population of the city so that their own candidates would win the 1984 Wasco County elections.[2] The incident was the first and single largest bioterrorist attack in United States history.[3][4] The attack is one of only two confirmed terrorist uses of biological weapons to harm humans since 1945.[5]"

God, the Rajneeshees were a bizarre little part of mid-1980s America.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Lionel Richie posted:

Reminds me of a report I saw on the BBC website earlier http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21195602. gently caress ups happen everywhere.

Sorry to respond to something so old but I'm catching up on the thread, but this one freaked me out. I went to the same school and for a while worked and lived in the same village, I remember everyone at work talking about it as a few of them knew the mum and the killer daughter. I can't believe they let her out and she stabbed someone again.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

The_Raven posted:

The incident was the first and single largest bioterrorist attack in United States history.[3][4]

I guess "The United States" has only existed in name since 1776, so the above is conveniently accurate.

quote:

In 1763, Sir Jeffrey Amherst, Commander-in-Chief of the Forces of the British Army, wrote praising the use of smallpox infected blankets to "extirpate" the Indian race. There is clear evidence that both biological warfare and accidental infection were factors in the Indigenous holocaust

quote:

Estimates range from a low of 2.1 million to a high of 18 million (Dobyns 1983).[3][4][42][43] By 1800, the Native population of the present-day United States had declined to approximately 600,000, and only 250,000 Native Americans remained in the 1890s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States#Impact_on_native_populations

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Rapman the Cook posted:

I guess "The United States" has only existed in name since 1776, so the above is conveniently accurate.

That's not so much bioterrorism as outright biological warfare. Or biological ethnic cleansing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah, terrorism implies an intent to instill fear, not just kill.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Those are goddamn loving awful photos. Filteeeeeeers.

Interesting story, though.

Look who knows nothing about photography but still criticizes. The first one is badly done HDR (not a filter), and the second one has bumped up contrast (also not a filter). That being said you're right about them being lovely photos.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Crankit posted:

Sorry to respond to something so old but I'm catching up on the thread, but this one freaked me out. I went to the same school and for a while worked and lived in the same village, I remember everyone at work talking about it as a few of them knew the mum and the killer daughter. I can't believe they let her out and she stabbed someone again.

drat, well you just managed to freak me out too, I'd forgotten about this case. I'm from the same town, I live abroad now but I remember my parents mentioning it. My mum's the same age as the woman who was killed. :(

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Rapman the Cook posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States#Impact_on_native_populations

It's not clear, however, whether Amherst actually acted on his letter, however. Nonetheless, it was a disgusting idea, and the native population must have got the smallpox from the Europeans somehow, and that seems to be the most obvious avenue.

One Eye Open has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Apr 28, 2014

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

One Eye Open posted:

It's not clear, however, whether Amherst actually acted on his letter, however. Nonetheless, it was a disgusting idea, and the native population must have got the smallpox from the Europeans somehow, and that seems to be the most obvious avenue.

It's not remotely the most obvious avenue. Smallpox was a pretty big killer way before the 1700's. It really only takes superficial contact with people who have no resistance to the disease for it to spread. It's probably the ease of transmission to native populations that "inspired" the idea of the blankets.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

MadMattH posted:

It's not remotely the most obvious avenue. Smallpox was a pretty big killer way before the 1700's. It really only takes superficial contact with people who have no resistance to the disease for it to spread. It's probably the ease of transmission to native populations that "inspired" the idea of the blankets.

Yeah, it was noticed that smallpox was having a devastating effect pretty early on. And using blankets carried the obvious risk of infecting anybody who touched the blankets themselves. It's not like they had a workable germ theory to understand how to minimize that risk either.

Even if the blanket idea wasn't actually implemented, the important thing is that it was suggested in the first place. It's not like an accidental infection brought out the kind and generous spirits of the settlers. Chance beating them to the punch shouldn't be an absolution.+

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

One Eye Open posted:

When De Soto sailed up the Mississippi, he wrote about how the night clouds were underlit by fires, the pupulation was so great. Less than 100 years later (and 100 years prior to the American Revolution) they were mostly dead from disease. You catch smallpox by standing near someone, it's airborne. In fact, blankets don't really make all that much sense (though medical science didn't know that at the time).

But yeah, terrifying and despicably inhuman idea. Not excusing anyone here.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Frostwerks posted:

I hope these little dudes are found to be extant someday. I read someone mention somewhere on this forum years ago that they lived recently enough that they still exist in the cultural consciousness of myths in the region.

Whoa, coincidence. I was watching Nova on my iPad just now while I was putting away my groceries, and the episode I watched was about Homo Floresiensis.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One Eye Open posted:

Except for the whole timing issue.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

prick with tenure posted:

I remember reading once in a Zack Parsons article on the front page about how geologists found a large cave under the ocean that likely contained air-filled chambers. I can't find the article now (it was a few years ago) but I remember finding the idea unnerving, especially when wondering what might live down there. Anyone know what I'm talking about or if there are any recent discoveries related to this cave?

Definitely not what you're talking about, but it reminded me of this and it is strange nonetheless.

(Not a Wikipedia page, but cool pictures.)
http://www.binscorner.com/pages/a/amazing-underwater-river-in-mexico.html

An underwater river. The river itself is hydrogen sulphide, which is more dense than H2O.

For context:

The Skull and Bones Tomb is creepy. A building without windows is just screaming for conspiracy theories to be made up about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_and_bones

quote:

The society has been accused of possessing the stolen skulls of Martin Van Buren, Geronimo, and Pancho Villa

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 16:07 on May 1, 2014

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The Endbringer posted:

Definitely not what you're talking about, but it reminded me of this and it is strange nonetheless.

(Not a Wikipedia page, but cool pictures.)
http://www.binscorner.com/pages/a/amazing-underwater-river-in-mexico.html
An underwater river. The river itself is hydrogen sulphide, which is more dense than H2O.

For context:

The Skull and Bones Tomb is creepy. A building without windows is just screaming for conspiracy theories to be made up about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_and_bones

I was gunna say that, like most other 'secret organizations', they probably sit around chilling and drinking beer. But stealing people's bodies is an rear end in a top hat thing to do. For fucks sake, they're college/university aged! Stick with stealing poo poo from other Yale clubs for laffs.

[quote="
Mount Tambora"]By most calculations, the eruption of Tambora was at least a full order of magnitude larger than that of Mount Pinatubo in 1991. It is estimated that the top 1,220 metres (4,000 ft) of the mountain was reduced to rubble and ash as a result of the eruption, and was subsequently ejected from the mountain or fell into the new caldera, reducing Tambora's height by a third.[27] Around 100 cubic kilometers of rock was blasted into the air, eclipsing the estimated 10 cubic kilometers by its counterpart in Italy, Vesuvius (Williams 2012). Not only were rocks and ash expelled into the atmosphere, but toxic gases were pumped into the atmosphere as well. Many of the residents who survived the resulting tsunami, eruption, or ash cloud became sick due to all of the sulfur, which caused lung infections. Volcanic ash was documented to be over 1 m deep in areas within 75 km of the eruption, and ash could be found as far away as 1300 km. With this much volcanic ash on the ground, any crops or viable vegetation sources were smothered at a minimum and burned if they were close to the volcano itself. This created an immediate shortage of food in Indonesia, one that only compounded the regular shortage during the winter season. The ejection of these gasses, especially HCl, caused the precipitation that followed in the region to be extremely acidic, killing much of the crops that either survived or were rebudding during the spring. The food shortage was compounded by the Napoleonic wars, floods, and cholera....[/quote]

From there I went to

Pumice Rafts
A pumice raft is a floating raft of pumice occasionally created by ocean-based or near-ocean volcanic activity. ... A large pumice raft appeared near New Zealand in August of 2012. It was reported to be 300 miles (483 km) long, 30 miles (48 km) wide, and riding two feet (sixty centimetres) above the surface.

Here's a picture of the above raft.

I wanna ride on this poo poo. It'd probably be hot and uncomfortable but that'd still be cool.

[image source]

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm blind, dumb, or both, cuz I'm not seeing it at all here.

The pic on the wiki page is pretty clear though and that looks like it'd be awesome to ride on

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wikipedia says that the "fibrous tendrils" in the lower right quadrant of this picture is the edges of the raft

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
While part of me thinks it'd be cool to do, holy poo poo ROUGH SANDPAPER and salt water don't seem like a good mix.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Two kids break into a dudes house and he shoots them. What's creepy about Byron Smith you might say?

He hid in his own basement waiting for them where he had supplies and guns.

He has a recording of it: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/hear-graphic-audio-catches-moment-byron-smith-guns-teens-article-1.1776145

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

quote:

The recording captured the sounds of Smith shooting Brady as he came down the stairs. Brady groans after the first and second shots, but is silent after a third shot, and Smith can be heard saying, “You’re dead.”

Prosecutors say Smith put Brady’s body on a tarp and dragged it into another room, then sat down and reloaded his weapon.

Kifer whispers, “Nick?” A shot is fired, and Kifer screams. Smith apologizes as his gun jams, then fires at Kifer four more times and says: “You’re dying.” A sixth and final shot — Smith described it as a “finishing shot” to investigators — was heard soon after.

:stare: Jesus Christ.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Crankit posted:

Two kids break into a dudes house and he shoots them. What's creepy about Byron Smith you might say?

He hid in his own basement waiting for them where he had supplies and guns.

He has a recording of it: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/hear-graphic-audio-catches-moment-byron-smith-guns-teens-article-1.1776145

yeah don't listen to this if you don't want your day ruined. loving psychopath this Smith rear end in a top hat is.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

MadMattH posted:

The idea of poisoning people with clothes goes back to the renaissance. People were always on the lookout for ways of eliminating 'problem relatives'. The discovery of 'inheritance powder', aka powdered arsenic, made this a plausible threat in the eyes of the public. However, the dose you'd get wouldn't be enough to be fatal. A dose that would is easily detectable.

Smallpox blankets was never carried out, at least not intentionally. It may be that some traders, already infected, passed it along with trade goods to the local people. The Indians had virtually no resistance to smallpox. It's incredibly virulent, easily passed from host to host, and kills within a matter days. It's a nasty, evil disease that certainly the earliest Europeans never intended to transmit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

The idea of poisoning people with clothes goes back to the renaissance. People were always on the lookout for ways of eliminating 'problem relatives'. The discovery of 'inheritance powder', aka powdered arsenic, made this a plausible threat in the eyes of the public. However, the dose you'd get wouldn't be enough to be fatal. A dose that would is easily detectable.

Smallpox blankets was never carried out, at least not intentionally. It may be that some traders, already infected, passed it along with trade goods to the local people. The Indians had virtually no resistance to smallpox. It's incredibly virulent, easily passed from host to host, and kills within a matter days. It's a nasty, evil disease that certainly the earliest Europeans never intended to transmit.
By the time that the smallpox blankets issue came about the populations had already been devastated by European disease. All it took was contact by Europeans with a single group, then it spread by contact with other native groups.

• Locked thread