Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can't drop 'bows off the top rope? A shameful rassler I kid, I kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
I have a sword. Do you have a sword? Exactly.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Running to 1444. THE HUNT BEGINS :black101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PoptartsNinja posted:

In case people are wondering, here are the melee options available to the Charger:

Simple Maneuvers:
Clothesline - Initiate a charge attack and tell me you're performing a Lariat. You will launch a single punch attack when you reach melee range, if it hits you will suffer half the normal charging damage (if you miss you can still hit your charge attack normally).
Flying Crossbody - Death From Above but voluntarily fail your piloting checks to avoid a fall. Your enemy will automatically fall with no piloting checks allowed.
Leg Drop - Death From Above a prone target but voluntarily fail your piloting checks to avoid a fall. you'll take no falling damage but will still have to stand up on the next turn

Multi-turn Maneuvers:
Initiators:
Grab - Hit with both punch attacks but opt to deal no damage. Doing so immobilizes the target next turn and allows you to use a better move in the next attack phase. This does not count as a wrestling move!
Irish Whip - Push an enemy into a building hex

Follow-up Maneuvers:
Russian Leg Sweep - Hit with a kick the turn after a you hit with an Initiator to automatically knock your target prone
Body Slam - Attack with two punches the turn after an Initiator and tell me you're performing a Body Slam. You and your target will both fall prone and your target will suffer all damage to its rear armor.
Piledriver - Attack with two punches the turn after an Initiator and tell me you're performing a Piledriver. You and your target will both fall prone and your target will automatically suffer the first five points of damage to its Head.
Suplex - Attack with a push the turn after an Initiator, if you hit your opponent will fall prone in the hex directly behind you and suffer damage as though falling from height 3.

I see I was completely wrong and 'Cross the Streams' has already been handily surpassed. Go, lucha libre bot! For justice and the violent theft of others' property!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Gonna be great. Good luck, Pirates! Let the rivers vaguely muddy troughs run red!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GenericServices posted:

Let the rivers vaguely muddy troughs run red!

I prefer the term 'boggy morass.'

Everyone requested a rundown of their capabilities, but just a quick reminder here is the Best Friend Forever list:

Warhammer is BFFs with the Hunchback (and JagerMech and Catapult)
JagerMech is BFFs with the Catapult
Battle Cobra is BFFs with the Chameleon
Blackjack is BFFs with the Assassin
Clint is BFFs with the Centurion
Charger is BFFs with Utter Chaos

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

In case people are wondering, here are the melee options available to the Charger:

Piledriver - Attack with two punches the turn after an Initiator and tell me you're performing a Piledriver. You and your target will both fall prone and your target will automatically suffer the first five points of damage to its Head.

Can the ChargerLuchadore get a bonus for using it's Jump Jets at the same time?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd figure any jump jet use is assumed to be part of the wrasslin' and will be included in fluff.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Do you guys mind if I jump on that first pile of infantry? It's close enough for me to reach and mutilating anything without a cockpit is apparently my day job. What's the maximum range on return fire for the infantry? I have more guns than armor so I'd rather shoot at medium range and minimize incoming damage if it's possible.

Regarding me and the Assassin; we're both fast, jumpy assholes with the ability to put out absolutely absurd amounts of damage at close range to exposed targets but we can't really take a hit and don't have any big-hitters for getting through solid armor. We should look to be opportunistic, and if we do get behind somebody we should always open the salvo with your Large Laser and/or my Medium since those have the best odds of opening rear armor.

Also, does moving through buildings/rubble provoke piloting checks because if so thank god for my jump jets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

Do you guys mind if I jump on that first pile of infantry? It's close enough for me to reach and mutilating anything without a cockpit is apparently my day job. What's the maximum range on return fire for the infantry? I have more guns than armor so I'd rather shoot at medium range and minimize incoming damage if it's possible.

You'll average 7 dead infantry a turn with a single machine gun hit, so you probably only want to fire 4-5 at a single platoon (and a couple of medium lasers).

Infantry ranges are about the same as yours, and they can hurt quite a bit (but they're not likely to hit if you jump 5 hexes or run flat out).

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My current plan would be to Jump to 2244, land facing 2144, and unload into the infantry with all my machine guns and however many MLs will come short of overheating. I should be looking at 10's to hit (3 gunnery + 3 jumping + 4 range), but giving them a 12 to return fire (4 gunnery + 3 my movement + 4 range + 1 light cover from the hill). I have a lot more ammo than armor right now and so many damned guns that I should still be landing ~3 hits or so without abysmal rolling, so I feel like playing it conservatively as far as to-hits go is wise for the moment. They're also in open terrain, so they're looking at ~14 dead dudes per machine gun hit and we have plenty of people standing around to soften them up or finish them off if I roll like kial poo poo and don't obliterate them.

I could also accomplish the same thing by running to give us both better modifiers, but those little bastards actually hit pretty hard.

Note that I'm basing my assumptions off them having the same range profile as the MG infantry in the quick start guide. If they outrange me than gently caress it, balls deep.

On a related note: do destroyed buildings become rubble, or open terrain, and what happens to infantry if I drop their little shanties on them?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
About the only thing missing from that glorious wrestling move list is a spear, because I think nobody here doesn't want to see someone on the OpFor getting speared through the barricade a building. Eh, I guess a regular charge that displaces him into the building should be good enough. :v:

I'll be disappointed if that doesn't happen at some point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Magni posted:

a spear

Added to the list.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Being able to classify the varying ways in which her compatriots were usefully untrustworthy rather than simply dismissing everyone around her as simply useless and untrustworthy would help her make judgment calls would make her a much more valuable protégée.

This sentence kind of trips over itself at the end.

quote:

She started a few wars that first, only to pop up with the Consorts and slaughter every pretender.

Is that supposed to be 'at first', or something else entirely?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Added to the list.

:woop:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PoptartsNinja posted:

Suplex - Attack with a push the turn after an Initiator, if you hit your opponent will fall prone in the hex directly behind you and suffer damage as though falling from height 3.

If the Charger manages to Suplex someone off say a height 1 hill onto a height 0 hex, does the extra elevation get added to make it count as height 4?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I really hope Jag survives this. :ohdear:

Also, it might just be me but with the colors of the buildings and the Fusiliers, it can be hard to make out the latter from the former. Would it be possible to add say a colored ring around op4 units as part of their sprite to help them stand out? If it's too much bother, then it's easily justified as emulating the chaos and confusion of such a close-quarters rough and tumble urban fight!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Shoeless posted:

I really hope Jag survives this. :ohdear:

Also, it might just be me but with the colors of the buildings and the Fusiliers, it can be hard to make out the latter from the former. Would it be possible to add say a colored ring around op4 units as part of their sprite to help them stand out? If it's too much bother, then it's easily justified as emulating the chaos and confusion of such a close-quarters rough and tumble urban fight!

(Almost) Any turn I can't wrassle a man a building is falling down. Sorry PTN!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

apostateCourier posted:

(Almost) Any turn I can't wrassle a man a building is falling down. Sorry PTN!

You may want to spend a turn jumping onto a building if it will set you up for an off-the-rope move next turn.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

berryjon posted:

You may want to spend a turn jumping onto a building if it will set you up for an off-the-rope move next turn.

Like I said, almost every turn!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

I do have a solution to this, it's just one I find ugly.

Do other people share this concern?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's an unfortunate kludge but it'll work.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe only do that if they're on rubble?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Can Infantry only move 1 hex per turn, and what's the range on their weaponry? Remind me how jumping over the buildings will work, and whether I'd need to make a piloting check if I jumped onto a road square. If memory serves I don't think that I have to but with my Piloting check penalty I don't want to headplant myself by accident quite yet.

So goons, my general plan is to take pot-shots with my LL where appropriate and wait until you heavier lads engage with enemy mechs before jumping in and taking them in the rear with SL barrages. Between me and Voyager I in their Blackjack we should get pretty crit-happy against any armour-less targets.

For this turn I think that I'll follow Voyager I and jump near the Blackjack to fire off a LL at the infantry in 1945.

Sound good? I'm always willing to listen to you Battletech veterans if there's a better idea, final call goes to me though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I do have a solution to this, it's just one I find ugly.

Do other people share this concern?

How about outlining the hex in red instead?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah, I'd suggest either outlining the whole hex or coloring the background hex with an overlay.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Trundel posted:

Can Infantry only move 1 hex per turn, and what's the range on their weaponry? Remind me how jumping over the buildings will work, and whether I'd need to make a piloting check if I jumped onto a road square. If memory serves I don't think that I have to but with my Piloting check penalty I don't want to headplant myself by accident quite yet.

So goons, my general plan is to take pot-shots with my LL where appropriate and wait until you heavier lads engage with enemy mechs before jumping in and taking them in the rear with SL barrages. Between me and Voyager I in their Blackjack we should get pretty crit-happy against any armour-less targets.

For this turn I think that I'll follow Voyager I and jump near the Blackjack to fire off a LL at the infantry in 1945.

Sound good? I'm always willing to listen to you Battletech veterans if there's a better idea, final call goes to me though.

You have 7 jump MP, more than enough to jump over any of the terrain on the map. Just don't land on a building. Jumping onto pavement also does not prompt a PSR to the best of my knowledge. The technicals, going by the stats from page 1216, are 6/9, and the infantry... isn't listed, but I think motorized infantry are 3 MP. Note that infantry do not pay MP to turn like mechs and vees do. Ballistic rifles, which they're armed with, have 1/2/3 range, same as MGs.

For infantry, a potshot can't hurt but keep in mind that any of your lasers will only kill a single infantryman each, doubled if they're not in some form of cover (woods, building, etc)

Couple things PTN: What is the weird sort of lava-like terrain? Mud? And do the dirty-looking roads count as paved roads and thus prompting PSRs for running and turning on them?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm sorry, but I can only imagine this entire scenario as an episode of Megas XLR.

I expect plenty of terrible banter between you guys on the battlefield :colbert:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

RedMagus posted:

I'm sorry, but I can only imagine this entire scenario as an episode of Megas XLR.

I expect plenty of terrible banter between you guys on the battlefield :colbert:

That is literally what I'm drawing inspiration from. I hope I don't disappoint.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Simple Maneuvers:
Clothesline - Initiate a charge attack and tell me you're performing a Lariat. You will launch a single punch attack when you reach melee range, if it hits you will suffer half the normal charging damage (if you miss you can still hit your charge attack normally).
Flying Crossbody - Death From Above but voluntarily fail your piloting checks to avoid a fall. Your enemy will automatically fall with no piloting checks allowed.
Leg Drop - Death From Above a prone target but voluntarily fail your piloting checks to avoid a fall. you'll take no falling damage but will still have to stand up on the next turn

Multi-turn Maneuvers:
Initiators:
Grab - Hit with both punch attacks but opt to deal no damage. Doing so immobilizes the target next turn and allows you to use a better move in the next attack phase. This does not count as a wrestling move!
Irish Whip - Push an enemy into a building hex

Follow-up Maneuvers:
Russian Leg Sweep - Hit with a kick the turn after a you hit with an Initiator to automatically knock your target prone
Body Slam - Attack with two punches the turn after an Initiator and tell me you're performing a Body Slam. You and your target will both fall prone and your target will suffer all damage to its rear armor.

RedMagus posted:

apostateCourier posted:

Oh man, this is going to be amazing. apostateCourier, you must do Macho Man Randy Savage proud. Can't wait to see what your first moves to hit will be...

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

apostateCourier posted:

If your pilot doesn't headbash his console to hit buttons for an alpha strike of some kind I will be supremely disappointed.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Vadoc posted:

If your pilot doesn't headbash his console to hit buttons for an alpha strike of some kind I will be supremely disappointed.

Unfortunately, the neurohelmet locks the head in place. Expect double-fisted slams instead.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Unfortunately, the neurohelmet locks the head in place. Expect a double axehandle instead.

You need to remember the Macho Man's signature stuff if you're going to carry on his legacy in this fight. :bahgawd:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

anakha posted:

You need to remember the Macho Man's signature stuff if you're going to carry on his legacy in this fight. :bahgawd:

Yeah, yeah. I'm here to cause mayhem, not ape a specific wrestler.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

As long as we in the peanut gallery get a suplexing, we're happy.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

anakha posted:

As long as we in the peanut gallery get a suplexing, we're happy.

I'm just sad that my ultimate target isn't on the field yet. I want to drop a 40 point suplex, and there's only one 'mech on the other side big enough to drop that much damage on.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

apostateCourier posted:

I'm just sad that my ultimate target isn't on the field yet. I want to drop a 40 point suplex, and there's only one 'mech on the other side big enough to drop that much damage on.
If your ultimate target is anyone other than Hogan we're gonna have problems

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

JT Jag posted:

If your ultimate target is anyone other than Hogan we're gonna have problems

I want to suplex a King Crab.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Trundel posted:

Something to keep in mind during the early game is that, though we're among the fastest mechs on the board, we don't actually want to be the first ones into a fight. We're fragile, and our weapons are much better suited to pouring in crit chances once somebody with a bigger gun has opened a hole for us; dealing 20 points of damage isn't that big a deal to most of these mechs when it's spread evenly across their body 2 or 3 points at a time. If we can pin down a valuable target or just murder some dumb piece of poo poo like the Shadow Hawk before they can regroup with the rest of the OpFor it might be worth taking some risks, but otherwise I'd just stay safe and shoot up some civilians while the big boys are still moving in.

Also, with some decent rolling Ryan might be able to clear out that building in front of the Firestarter with one PPC and take a pop at him with the other. It's not great odds but hey, you've got no shortage of heat for it.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

apostateCourier posted:

Long as you have a great time and play with your whole heart, I'll be happy!

• Locked thread