Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Voyager I posted:

Holy wowzers. First time watching RW Cars in action and they get to look at more cards than most Boros Commander decks.

Yeah, I really need to update my RW commander deck, even though I never play it. Some fun stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Maybe its just shota being one of the best in the world, but I feel like this grixis deck might be the best deck in standard. A room full of combo does not want to play against this deck. If its good enough to consistently beat r/w aggro then it basically has a good matchup against everything.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Maybe its just shota being one of the best in the world, but I feel like this grixis deck might be the best deck in standard. A room full of combo does not want to play against this deck. If its good enough to consistently beat r/w aggro then it basically has a good matchup against everything.

Something like RG aggro can bash into 1/4s fairly easily, I think. So the spot removal is pretty key on the grixis end. I'm just trying to reinforce my current standard deck of choice in my brain....

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Shota top 8'd Pro Tour Shadows Over Innistrad with Esper Dragons. That wasn't even a tier 2 deck in that standard before or after that PT. It's because he's better than we are.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Reminder that Shota put this deck together Thursday night after the Hall of Fame dinner and it was due at midnight, and that the reason he doesn't have Guru mountains in it is that he didn't bring them because he didn't think he'd need them. The man is unreal good at Magic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Holy wowzers. First time watching RW Cars in action and they get to look at more cards than most standard blue decks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Noted nazi travis woo in the hunt

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Is there a list floating around for RW Cars?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I really like the new top 8 bracket style. Keeps people from drawing into top 8.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did I mishear or does Twoo have a nonzero chance of top 8ing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What a weird ruling (wrt seeing an additional card w/ Anticipate).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

What a weird ruling (wrt seeing an additional card w/ Anticipate).

yeah this fix is loving weird

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What's the fix they went with?

Off the top of my head I'd expect it to be revealing the four cards, the opponent chooses one to shuffle back into the deck (setting aside any known cards from the bottom of the deck first), and then finish resolving the anticipate with the remaining three.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
That's what they did.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also, he got a warning.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hey look what I did.

Looks like if you concede while your opponent is scrying you can see the cards?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

odiv posted:

Hey look what I did.

Looks like if you concede while your opponent is scrying you can see the cards?

Isn't this a bug from a few years ago?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's pretty much always done this. If the game ends while someone is looking at part of their library (scry, Top, Ponder, etc) it reveals those cards. I don't believe it happens if they're looking at their entire library though, strangely enough.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ShadeofBlue posted:

Happens every time the game ends while one player is looking at cards.

Most frequently when the Miracles player scoops after spinning top and not finding what they need.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Saffron Olive wrote an article recently that doesn't really support your point: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/do-week-one-results-actually-matter

Basically, week 1 SCG tournaments don't mean much, but the top 8 of pro tours are strongly indicative of what will be good in standard.

The problem is that, as people have said, the PT is very metagamed and isn't always indicative of what will be good in Standard either and Saffron Olive's article is pretty light on discussing how well those decks fared outside of the PT. I mean, if someone is of the opinion that the entire rest of the Standard season doesn't don't matter (which I think is just wrong), then sure, but while the PT is far more influential on the direction decks go, it certainly isn't as sharply predictive as I think SO is implying.

PT Shadows Over Innistrad had 8 distinct decks in the Top 8 - Esper Control, Esper Dragons, RW Goggles, Black-Green Aristocrats, Seasons Past Control, RG Goggles Ramp, Bant Company and GW Tokens. The last two were the only ones that were Tier 1 the entire time were the last 2, and Bant Company's Top 8 conversion rate was very under-representative of how popular and strong the deck actually was.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 16, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Voyager I posted:

Holy wowzers. First time watching RW Cars in action and they get to look at more cards than most Boros Commander decks.

Depala is the sweetest Boros Commander. I'd definitely be playing RW Cars if I didn't already fall in love with RG Pummeler first...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Joey loving Manner. Wow. Kid done good.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Depala is the sweetest Boros Commander. I'd definitely be playing RW Cars if I didn't already fall in love with RG Pummeler first...

She will get better too, as more Dwarves get printed.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

thraben inspector is the actual best card in soi, not avacyn

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

What an unsettling thought.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The top 8 decklists are out. Note that the PT includes draft so these aren't necessarily the 8 best performing standard decks.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptkld/top-8-decklists-2016-10-15
2 RWx Vehicles
RW Tokens
UW Flash
Temur Aetherworks
UR Spells
Jeskai Control
Grixis Control

Shoutout to Makis Matsouka for making it this far in his first PT with a pretty cool deck. Gotta love 4 maindeck Outnumber and two sideboard Make a Stand. I also love the blue splash for Rejection in Lee's deck.

Green cards in this top 8: Attune with Aether, Vessel of Nascency, (Woodweaver's Puzzleknot).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 16, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The top 8 decklists are out. Note that the PT includes draft so these aren't necessarily the 8 best performing standard decks.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptkld/top-8-decklists-2016-10-15
2 RWx Vehicles
RW Tokens
UW Flash
Temur Aetherworks
UR Spells
Jeskai Control
Grixis Control

Shoutout to Makis Matsouka for making it this far in his first PT with a pretty cool deck. Gotta love 4 maindeck Outnumber and two sideboard Make a Stand. I also love the blue splash for Rejection in Lee's deck.

Green cards in this top 8: Attune with Aether, Vessel of Nascency, (Woodweaver's Puzzleknot).

Where are the most standard points lists they usually have by now!?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Only 16 Smuggler's Copters, not bad.

Looks like a pretty nice bunch of aggro,control, and combo decks. None of the B/G delirium decks made it, but that's okay.

Keep in mind top 8 represents how the players did in draft as well so these may not be the 8 highest performing constructed decks.
EDIT: oh yeah someone said that already.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

19 Gideons makes it the most played card I think?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

That UR deck looks like it's going to be a budget darling if it works even passably in the meta. Cheap as hell.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Elyv posted:

Count Bleck posted:

What an unsettling thought.

He's not wrong though. My favorite play in Standard right now remains a turn 1 Thraben Inspector.

Here's a blocker you can't attack through for two more turns, turns into a good attacker with the Always Watching that'll come down on turn 3, and it also draws me a card and makes my potential Tireless Tracker bigger.

It owns.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

He's not wrong though. My favorite play in Standard right now remains a turn 1 Thraben Inspector.

Here's a blocker you can't attack through for two more turns, turns into a good attacker with the Always Watching that'll come down on turn 3, and it also draws me a card and makes my potential Tireless Tracker bigger.

It owns.

Even in SoI standard, it was a good card in Humans and some builds of Company, but now it also gives you an artifact for Inventors Apprentice/Toolcraft Exemplar, jumps into a copter, digs if you draw it later in the game, etc.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'm just completely in love with the fact that we have a control/combo/aggro format again. Kaladesh owns bones, and I'm SO ripping off that Jeskai control deck for FNM

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There is a big midrange deck in BG delirium that's probably top tier as well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm just completely in love with the fact that we have a control/combo/aggro format again.

I know, it's fetid garbage, huh?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Standard is a festering pile of poo poo that needs to die so [my format of choice] can thrive.

Owns bones though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

No mill deck, smh

(I'm just now getting to watch PT coverage, this standard looks Real Good)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Some guy just tried to sell the shop a Black Lotus! And it was foil too so that means it's worth more! I can't find a price for the Vintage Masters one online though, anyone know what it's worth?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Some guy just tried to sell the shop a Black Lotus! And it was foil too so that means it's worth more! I can't find a price for the Vintage Masters one online though, anyone know what it's worth?

.....what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Vintage Masters is an online-only set. I don't believe there has ever been a foil Black Lotus in paper.

• Locked thread