Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coydog posted:

Self care is saying "you know what? I think I won't watch no prisoners this time".

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yeah 15:50 I'm noping out as a car flips and rolls over a guy.

Not as bad as the dump truck in the last video but I think that's a good place as any to stop.

drat you can see the people are running to help then the car tips over and they slow down like "no point now"

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:thunk: what do we have here?

:stwoon:

My brother signed up for the local MSF course, and there was a single spot left. I took my class 10 years ago, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to refresh my basics, and getting to ride the TW200 for 2 days was worth the cheap class price. These things were dope and fun as hell - gonna miss them :kiddo:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess I can edit posts. And I also guess it’s easy to accidentally do in the awful app

I’m leaving it as a quote though lol

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

kloa posted:

:thunk: what do we have here?

:stwoon:

My brother signed up for the local MSF course, and there was a single spot left. I took my class 10 years ago, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to refresh my basics, and getting to ride the TW200 for 2 days was worth the cheap class price. These things were dope and fun as hell - gonna miss them :kiddo:

I'm honestly shocked anybody makes street-focused tires in those sizes

They didn't have any TWs when I did my MSF in October but I got a XT250 which was a blast

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

drat you can see the people are running to help then the car tips over and they slow down like "no point now"

I see the car roll onto and then off of him, then he gets up on the far side of the car from the camera and runs away from the camera to the right down another street.

I suppose that could be an occupant of the car exiting the car and running away but it looks like the motorcyclist to me.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Rider safety film starring Peter Fonda and Evel Knievel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFNcbltDnM

Evel is ATGATT.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've seen that; when they were like "always leathers" I was like yeah screw the past, was not better.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I cant help but see past the idiocy of most of the clips. Stunting on open roads in traffic, going way too fast in twisty mountain roads, going too fast in slow traffic. I'll never understand. Obviously some of these poor folks are just blindsided and had no chance but so many of these are completely avoidable.

I honestly think a three day MSF course should include one full day of watching no prisoners to keep illustrating what these folks are doing wrong. It might scare some folks from riding at all.

Also, never ride a motorcycle in asia or russia.

23:07 I was really hoping the guy was going to bring it all the way around and ride off again.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 2, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I rode a TW200 at my MSF and I fuckin loved it. If I ever move back to Canada I'm gonna get one and put on spiked tires and those outrigger skis they use in Norway and ride it all year round.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
'Sup TW200 learner bike crew? Did my test at Rider Training Institute ten years ago and picked the teewee. Loved it. I was poorly-equipped though and got the laces of my Vietnam-era jungle boots caught in the footpeg and fell over at a stop. They let me keep the piece of clutch lever that snapped off; I've still got it somewhere.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Verman posted:

I cant help but see past the idiocy of most of the clips. Stunting on open roads in traffic, going way too fast in twisty mountain roads, going too fast in slow traffic. I'll never understand. Obviously some of these poor folks are just blindsided and had no chance but so many of these are completely avoidable.

I honestly think a three day MSF course should include one full day of watching no prisoners to keep illustrating what these folks are doing wrong. It might scare some folks from riding at all.

Also, never ride a motorcycle in asia or russia.

23:07 I was really hoping the guy was going to bring it all the way around and ride off again.
Eastern Europe doesn't have much in the way of enforcement. Traffic police is pretty toothless and will only spend most of their energy on easy revenue collection. The riding/driving tests and study materials are better than ones in the US. But people just do idiotic poo poo on the roads, because they are used to not being punished for it. Notice the crippling lack of turn signals in many dashcam videos. Then notice how everyone seem to ignore the middle lane and freey drive on the opposite side of the road or sidewalk at every opportunity. Combined with lack of stop signs or coherent enforceable speed limit, it's basically a mosh pit. Bicycles and pedestrians get hit at a much higher rate as well. There is also an issue of people simply buying a driving license and learning as they go.

I've ridden in Russia/Ukraine and plan on doing a southeast asia bike trip. Defensive riding will stop majority of those collisions, trust me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

'Sup TW200 learner bike crew? Did my test at Rider Training Institute ten years ago and picked the teewee. Loved it. I was poorly-equipped though and got the laces of my Vietnam-era jungle boots caught in the footpeg and fell over at a stop. They let me keep the piece of clutch lever that snapped off; I've still got it somewhere.

I really regret not doing my RTI on the TW200. The CBR125 I used was so annoying -- it literally wouldn't shift into neutral unless I turned the bike off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Eastern Europe doesn't have much in the way of enforcement. Traffic police is pretty toothless and will only spend most of their energy on easy revenue collection. The riding/driving tests and study materials are better than ones in the US. But people just do idiotic poo poo on the roads, because they are used to not being punished for it. Notice the crippling lack of turn signals in many dashcam videos. Then notice how everyone seem to ignore the middle lane and freey drive on the opposite side of the road or sidewalk at every opportunity. Combined with lack of stop signs or coherent enforceable speed limit, it's basically a mosh pit. Bicycles and pedestrians get hit at a much higher rate as well. There is also an issue of people simply buying a driving license and learning as they go.

I've ridden in Russia/Ukraine and plan on doing a southeast asia bike trip. Defensive riding will stop majority of those collisions, trust me.

This sounds like paradise, much better than riding along alternating between staring at the speedo and searching for hidden revenue collectors. Heavily enforced speed limits have no effect on the moron danger coefficient I can tell you that much.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FBS posted:

They didn't have any TWs when I did my MSF in October but I got a XT250 which was a blast

Well, the VanVan exists, which is just a street TW for the most part, so there’s at least one other application. But I can see MSF courses alone supporting a couple mfrs making those sizes.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The TW200 in an MSF class is like cheating. It's the easiest bike to ride I've ever owned.

FBS posted:

Yep they are made specifically for the TW200, Bridgestone TW203/TW204. Shinko makes the SR428 for the VanVan which also fits the Tdub, essentially the same tread pattern. I had the tw203/204 combo on my first Tdub and if you squint real hard it looks a bit like a supermoto. Best tire combo IMO is a Shinko 244 "Golden Boy" front and a stock rear. The stock front is absolute trash, remove it and burn it so it does not curse another motorcycle.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

PeterCat posted:

Rider safety film starring Peter Fonda and Evel Knievel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFNcbltDnM

Evel is ATGATT.

"If a car cuts you off, your braking and downshifting will slow you much more quickly than a car"

God, was that actually true in the 70s?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

"If a car cuts you off, your braking and downshifting will slow you much more quickly than a car"

God, was that actually true in the 70s?

That was true well into the 90's.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cars in the 70’s had drum brakes all around. If you had 4 wheel disc brakes you were driving something very exotic.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Gorson posted:

The TW200 in an MSF class is like cheating. It's the easiest bike to ride I've ever owned.

At my MSF it was one TW200 and every other bike was a small Japanese cruiser of some sort. I picked the TW and I definitely had the easiest/best time of anyone there. It was such a joy to use it for the weekend.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cars in the 70’s had drum brakes all around. If you had 4 wheel disc brakes you were driving something very exotic.

Volvos but yeah those were probably a little exotic then.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Got to work on this for a bit yesterday:

It was uuuh not very well built.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It literally looks like a custom bike someone built

And not in a good way

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Got to work on this for a bit yesterday:

It was uuuh not very well built.

Forget the Commando, I want to see more of the K1.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ought ten posted:

:emptyquote:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Twenty bucks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

everything else there aside, is it even possible to bore an SV650 out to 1000cc?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Definitely not. There are 700cc kits that are at the absolute limit of the cylinder walls.

Remember the 650 is already a bored out 400

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Maybe it's an open-concept engine. Infinite displacement.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I want to shoot him all right

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FBS posted:

I want to shoot him all right

High probability of missing due to the glare and reflection off the swingarm.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ought ten posted:

I saw one on the road in the usual Hot Dog Stand colors once, never seen it in blue

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

wonder what shenanigans have gone on to use what looks like the stock rear swingarm in the rear to fit that huge tire. im going to guess someone put a floor jack between the two arms until it fit.

also lmao at the lovely stock dampening rod forks still being there. that thing must be terrifying to ride

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I found the listing

I’m the chain tension

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ought ten posted:

lovely potato pic is all I have:

I have worked on it and I'm sorry to say it's basically a k1000 with a mound of elephant turds poured on top. Just utterly, utterly awful and the riding experience, which is just the usual 80's BMW terribleness, nowhere near makes up for every single little thing being a three hour job. I was totally disappointed, never meet your heroes I guess.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

lovely potato pic is all I have:

I have worked on it and I'm sorry to say it's basically a k1000 with a mound of elephant turds poured on top. Just utterly, utterly awful and the riding experience, which is just the usual 80's BMW terribleness, nowhere near makes up for every single little thing being a three hour job. I was totally disappointed, never meet your heroes I guess.

My uncle had one of those in the 80s, same yellow and blue colours and everything. It looked like the future to me when I was 10.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I found the listing

I’m the chain tension

lol that chain is flaccid

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

HenryJLittlefinger posted: