Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Helianthus Annuus posted:

since the thumb picks downwards, and the other fingers pick upwards, i file the thumb opposite when compared to the other nails.

in other words, (right hand, palm down) i file down the right side of the thumb nail, and i let the left side get longer.

EDIT: its also much longer than the other nails. :whitewater:

Yeah that's what I'm doing, but the two issues I'm having are it's harder to get a nice clean tone, I feel like I can hear the thumbnail moving on the string. And something about how it sticks out on the left side makes that part of the nail more susceptible to being creased and then torn.

VVV I have to admit - I don't mind the nail stuff. Filing, buffing, using the hardening cream. It's only annoying when they get in the way, need to wear gloves when gardening and so forth. When something breaks or tears I'll probably change my tune.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mozi posted:

Yeah that's what I'm doing, but the two issues I'm having are it's harder to get a nice clean tone, I feel like I can hear the thumbnail moving on the string. And something about how it sticks out on the left side makes that part of the nail more susceptible to being creased and then torn.

Some guitarists I see end up doing the, predominately lady-like thing of putting a lot of extra work on their nails. Nail caps, shaping, buffing, nail hardeners, getting your nails done, etc. They break less if they're stiffer and thicker, like a guitar pick!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nail chat really makes me wish I wasn't a compulsive nail biter. Please continue, so I might be convinced to quit my lovely habit. Also post pictures of your meticulous asymmetric nails.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

Nail chat really makes me wish I wasn't a compulsive nail biter. Please continue, so I might be convinced to quit my lovely habit. Also post pictures of your meticulous asymmetric nails.

If you're really that curious, here you go. They are rather short because I also do fingerstyle on the electric and this length seems to work OK for both that and nylon. My ring finger nail is about twice the length of the others because my fingerpad seems to extend further. On my thumb I need the pick area to extend further left but I'm growing that out again after that part was torn.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

I was a compulsive nail biter and managed to ween myself off of it because I wanted long pretty nails.

My advice? Only bite the nails on your fretting hand.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mango sentinel posted:

Thus the name

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Just wanted to mention that Neural DSP stuff is awesome - I'm using Nolly right now for late-night practice and it sounds and feels fantastic. I kind of wish I had bought the Cory Wong version during the sale for practicing jazz, but I'm still able to get some good clean sounds with one of the presets.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

curried lamb of God posted:

Just wanted to mention that Neural DSP stuff is awesome - I'm using Nolly right now for late-night practice and it sounds and feels fantastic. I kind of wish I had bought the Cory Wong version during the sale for practicing jazz, but I'm still able to get some good clean sounds with one of the presets.

I have Plini, Nameless, Wong, Granophyre, Cali, and Parallax. I love them all. I want the Solddano SLO and the Gojira one too. STL Tonehub is fantastic as well. So many fantastic guitar plugins these days. I basically don't plug into anything but my interface now.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Gramps posted:

I have Plini, Nameless, Wong, Granophyre, Cali, and Parallax. I love them all. I want the Solddano SLO and the Gojira one too. STL Tonehub is fantastic as well. So many fantastic guitar plugins these days. I basically don't plug into anything but my interface now.

Besides Nolly, I also have Darkglass for silent bass practice and I'm very happy with it, although it's probably not the best option for the hip-hop/R&B stuff I enjoy playing. I'm definitely going for Wong and Soldano during their next sale

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Fortune cookie in today’s lunch said “you will come into additional income soon”. I’ll take a wall of Mesas, please. That and a Canadian Plexi.

Actually I might just end up buying myself one (a Traynor YBM-1) and modding it to plexi specs. Seems like a noble endeavour.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is a Canadian Plexi trimmed with denim?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

mango sentinel posted:

I was a compulsive nail biter and managed to ween myself off of it because I wanted long pretty nails.

Lol this is exactly what I've managed to do for nearly a year now

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my epi 335 came in. ummm ... this thing freakin rocks. i was bracing for the worst and expecting to have a lot of nitpicks given that it is on the cheap side but im seriously impressed with this thing so far.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

thathonkey posted:

my epi 335 came in. ummm ... this thing freakin rocks. i was bracing for the worst and expecting to have a lot of nitpicks given that it is on the cheap side but im seriously impressed with this thing so far.

Nice! I got an Epi LP last year and it also impressed me, I couldn't find a single thing to complain about. They're both made in the same factory in Qingdao. Here's a factory tour if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRczd_ZEf4E

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
thanks for the video. it seems to me theres some extremely nice guitars coming out of china these days. i got a yamaha red label acoustic last year which you can get from china or japan. the japan made version is identical except it costs 400$ more. i opted for the made in china version of that as well and haven't looked back. really fine instrument that i play almost daily.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Contracting in China is a minefield and relies heavily on having somebody on the ground who knows their poo poo about both the product and the manufacturing partners. Epiphone have taken the smart route and set up their own factory, as have most of the big firms now (Fender, Marshall, Orange that I know of but probably a bunch more). That gives you control over QC, materials, production lines, workers etc and you're much more likely to get consistently good production.

Everyone else goes to the big builders like Smarvo and contracts them to build a run of designs which will be varying degrees of quality depending on how much you want to pay. If you pay cheap then you can expect lower QC and more unusable/second quality product when you receive it. That's not a criticism of the factories, it's just the method the contracting system dictates to keep prices so low.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
There's a used Jackson JS22 7 string near me for around $125. Thinking About picking it up and learning guitar off it. Not the worst choice?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

E2M2 posted:

There's a used Jackson JS22 7 string near me for around $125. Thinking About picking it up and learning guitar off it. Not the worst choice?

No. Starting with anything but 6 string is gonna be a real pain.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
FWIW the first Classic Vibe guitars were made in China and they're awesome instruments

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I think they've moved them back there, and the Paranormal Series was MiC as well. No complaints on my Paranormal Offset.

I do have a 2020 Epiphone Coronet Reissue that is MiC and like a lot of people had fretwork issues, one or two frets needed to be leveled.

widefault fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 30, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dammit. Guitar fetish just sent an email saying all pickups are in stock and the chrome classic 2 alnico humbuckers are already out of stock.

For an FFLP with chrome hardware, am I really going to notice much of a difference going with nickel instead?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Ok Comboomer posted:

No. Starting with anything but 6 string is gonna be a real pain.

Okay, welp I just bought this for $300

ESP LTD EC-1000M

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

E2M2 posted:

Okay, welp I just bought this for $300

ESP LTD EC-1000M

Nice. That ought to serve you well. If you need an amp, it’s hard to go wrong with a Boss Katana too FWIW.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

E2M2 posted:

ESP LTD EC-1000M
That’s an absolute steal for $300, congrats!

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

nitsuga posted:

Nice. That ought to serve you well. If you need an amp, it’s hard to go wrong with a Boss Katana too FWIW.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/Katana-50-MkII-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier.gc

This thing?

I figure either I'll learn on that guitar, or I could flip it again for a profit if I fall off the wagon.

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 30, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

E2M2 posted:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss/Katana-50-MkII-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier.gc

This thing?

I figure either I'll learn on that guitar, or I could flip it again for a profit if I fall off the wagon.

That’s the one. They’re pretty great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

E2M2 posted:

This thing?

Bingo

Are you gonna be taking lessons or trying to self-teach?

Have you been to the Rocksmith thread yet? You should get Rocksmith.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Bingo

Are you gonna be taking lessons or trying to self-teach?

Have you been to the Rocksmith thread yet? You should get Rocksmith.

I havn't yet, I remember reading and seeing that it was a good option to learn?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

E2M2 posted:

Nothing beats lessons with a good human teacher, IMO, if you can afford at least a few, but it is definitely a great thing to have

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

E2M2 posted:

It's not a good way to learn guitar. It is an incredibly fun and useful tool for reinforcing things you've learned and building muscle memory.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man I was trying to find info on a EC-1000M, but I think its actually a EC-100QM.

Dang, I guess its not a $1000 guitar, but whatever.

mango sentinel posted:

It's not a good way to learn guitar. It is an incredibly fun and useful tool for reinforcing things you've learned and building muscle memory.

Which way should I go?

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 30, 2021

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I've been on the fence about keeping my CVC Tele (or replacing the pickups) because I'm playing higher gain stuff, but hoo boy it sounds sweet into the OD1 channel of the DSL40CR

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
GuitarTricks.com, anyone got an opinion?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I've been on the fence about keeping my CVC Tele (or replacing the pickups) because I'm playing higher gain stuff, but hoo boy it sounds sweet into the OD1 channel of the DSL40CR

Sounds like you need another Tele!
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Affinity-Telecaster-HH-Electric-Guitar-with-Matching-Headstock.gc

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

I received a decent financial windfall the other day, and after responsibly stashing some away in savings, I was able to pick up a Player Telecaster HH for my higher-gain needs

:)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

you’re gonna make me cum buy two orange telecasters

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What do you guys think of Orange amps? I got that suggested to me, the $65 small one

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i have an old Orange Crush 30R (not the acoustic) that sounds a little better than your average 00s-era solid state practice amp. i prefer it to a cube 30. the orange is less raw and more natural sounding. it's held up well over the years, and it has a decent reverb tank onboard.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What do you guys think of Orange amps? I got that suggested to me, the $65 small one

I’ve had my OR15 for years and can barely develop any amp GAS outside of something like a Princeton. I love the amps, the colors, the sound palettes, the way they setup their controls and their general design philosophy. Orange rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve had my OR15 for years and can barely develop any amp GAS outside of something like a Princeton. I love the amps, the colors, the sound palettes, the way they setup their controls and their general design philosophy. Orange rules.

This for sure. I had a Crush 35RT that I think about quite a bit. It had a tuner and an FX loop and the overdrive was pretty nice too.