Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

FRINGE posted:

This is a really loving boring way to approach the game.

3e was bad for building up the "dungeons and spreadsheets" charop fetishism. "Scraping away the veneer" of playing a game that isnt just optimized numbers shuffling around a grid is even worse.

and if there is no map there is no truth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

People really need to get it into their heads that D&D is and has always been a combat system first and foremost, and the small stumbling steps they make into other areas of play are pretty clumsy and crude compared to tons of other poo poo that's been published for a while. If clarifying terms applied to roles that don't exist in-setting break your verisimilitude, please consider more roleplay-heavy games and also why don't you have a problem with class names too?

When you make what amounts to a small unit tactical skirmish game, math really matters. It really, really matters. But the tabletop industry's core is really backwards-looking and fawns over the past rather than trying to think of what the future might look like so we get 5E. One of the biggest promises, that it provides a simpler D&D, is literally only true if you're ignoring most of the game as presented (even if most games never come close to level 10, it's presented as 1-20 as a standard game progression).

So yes math matters and yes it is a very good idea to inform new DMs to the pitfalls of 5E and suggest houserules, especially since those rules generally come with an explanation for why

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ritorix posted:

You can already split up movement before/after an action and between attacks. Basically move whenever. You can also use the shield bonus action during an attack, between the actual attacks.

edit: And this is probably a useful thing for the 4e DM to realize about 5e: it relies heavily on "ask your DM" and the DM equivalent is "ask Jeremy Crawford".
You cannot, however, shove, move, do all your attacks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Splicer posted:

You cannot, however, shove, move, do all your attacks.
Why not? Are there any other rules that interfere with arbitrary movement interleaving? I've never seen anything mention that.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Darwinism posted:

People really need to get it into their heads that D&D is and has always been a combat system first and foremost, and the small stumbling steps they make into other areas of play are pretty clumsy and crude compared to tons of other poo poo that's been published for a while. If clarifying terms applied to roles that don't exist in-setting break your verisimilitude, please consider more roleplay-heavy games and also why don't you have a problem with class names too?

When you make what amounts to a small unit tactical skirmish game, math really matters. It really, really matters. But the tabletop industry's core is really backwards-looking and fawns over the past rather than trying to think of what the future might look like so we get 5E. One of the biggest promises, that it provides a simpler D&D, is literally only true if you're ignoring most of the game as presented (even if most games never come close to level 10, it's presented as 1-20 as a standard game progression).

So yes math matters and yes it is a very good idea to inform new DMs to the pitfalls of 5E and suggest houserules, especially since those rules generally come with an explanation for why

This reminds me of some of the other big promises they made. That you could make a character as if from any previous edition and that they could all play together. That all those classes from previous PHBs would be in the game. That the game would be modular and you could use these modules to make the game more like any of the previous editions.

Basically they didn't deliver on pretty much any of the promises they made. They had an open playtest, where it seemed like they weren't listening to feedback, and pretty much EXPLICITLY stated this in a round about way by saying that oh we forgot how that worked because we are internally playtesting versions that are multiple revisions ahead of what you are playtesting, so things aren't the same as what you are testing. In other words they did their own internal playtests, then moved on, and eventually threw out to the public old versions that weren't being used any more to claim that the general public had some influence on how Next, later to be known as 5e which goes back on how they wanted to just straight up call it D&D no number, was developed.

That isn't to say that there wasn't some changes brought about by the public, unless the internal playtest had the same freakouts that some set in their ways players/DMs had. Since early on the Fighter had a damage on a miss option, and a certain backwards thinking subsect of the community had a collective freakout that a FIGHTER could do something like that. Never mind that spellcasters basically had the same thing with spells. The Warlock and Sorcerer were introduced, and looked interesting. But since the only Sorcerer archetype that was revealed was the Dragon bloodline, and the Dragon bloodline gave the Sorcerer armor proficiency, and some weapon proficiencies, some people freaked out at the Sorcerer being a tank rather than a cloth wearer. They didn't wait to see how other bloodlines might have worked. And so the Sorcerer, and Warlock, were taken out of the playtests and were not seen again until numerous revisions of the playtest were through, so one couldn't just slot them into the playtest anymore as the whole way the game worked had changed. They were not seen again until the public playtest was over so basically the public didn't even get to playtest them at all.

There were a lot of other changes over the playtest that were bad, but those two at least had a small but vocal minority complaining.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Why not? Are there any other rules that interfere with arbitrary movement interleaving? I've never seen anything mention that.
You can move before taking an action.
You can move between attacks.
You can move after taking an action.
Shield shove prior to any attacks requires you to take an attack action, then use your bonus action before attacking.
As you have already started taking your attack action, there is no movement opportunity between the bonus action and your first attack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A good DM can make a good story regardless of the system. My old DM had a story that ran from 3.5-->4e-->Pathfinder (and I think the only reason we stopped playing 4e was because it was early and we had all made some pretty lovely character building choices, then like 3 people got fired)

Also: 4e took away the mind control spells, but it gave every class more narrative control through poo poo like skill utilities and themes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Splicer posted:

Shield shove prior to any attacks requires you to take an attack action, then use your bonus action before attacking.
As you have already started taking your attack action, there is no movement opportunity between the bonus action and your first attack.
Says whom? Why wouldn't you be able to move between saying "I am attacking this turn" and actually rolling an attack? This ability is bizarrely worded and I don't think this is a bad faith reading, but no other ability in the game involves times where you can't move because you're in the middle of something. It's weird that you have to attack but can declare your intention to do so beforehand for this one ability, but given that, it's not any weirder to also move in between those things. The ability effectively requires you to state your intent to attack without having to actually do so, it's very possible that you don't get to actually do so but the movement works for the same reason the shield attack does, they're symmetric.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

Since it is obvious and common sense and clearly correct that the rules which specify exactly when you can move should also allow you to move at times they don't specify, this is your fault for treating the game like a game and whining about the rules of the game instead of just doing the obviously correct thing that the rules don't mention and then pretending that that's what's written down and this isn't a fix.

it's not any weirder to also move in between those things

The rules specify when you can move. "After taking the attack action but before making attacks" is not mentioned. You can say it's obvious that you should be able to do that, but that's not what the designers of the game chose to print in the rulebook.

I can see why people think it should be allowed, but it's not an obvious omission that you can start making "but common sense" or "but clearly" statements about. It could just as easily be worded as it is intentionally, to prevent exactly the declare attack-action > take bonus-action shield push > move > make attacks scenario that we're discussing.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 17, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I wrote other things here, but even with your interpretation of that, I think you're wrong even in the pedantic rules-as-written mode to the extreme. A shove is a type of attack and thus the movement is between attacks. I don't see it saying you can only move in between attacks that are part of the same attack action.

no I think this is wrong

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 17, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

e: ^^^^^ Yeah, you got it.

I wrote other things here, but even with your interpretation of that, I think you're wrong even in the pedantic rules-as-written mode to the extreme. A shove is a type of attack and thus the movement is between attacks. I don't see it saying you can only move in between attacks that are part of the same attack action.

PHB page 190.

"You can break up your movement on your turn, using some of your speed before and after your action."

"If you take an action that includes more than one weapon attack, you can break up your movement even further by moving between those attacks."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Splicer posted:

I think this is the made-up part. There's no such thing as a 'movement opportunity' or whatever, there is no move action, you can move whenever. The rules actually say this on PHB190.

edit: look at what this loving game makes us do :arghfist:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

yeah just crossed it out - you're right

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ritorix posted:

I think this is the made-up part. There's no such thing as a 'movement opportunity' or whatever, there is no move action, you can move whenever. The rules actually say this on PHB190.

They definitely do not.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

Breaking Up Your Move
You can break up your Movement on your turn, using some of your speed before and after your action. For example, if you have a speed of 30 feet, you can move 10 feet, take your action, and then move 20 feet.

Moving between Attacks
If you take an action that includes more than one weapon attack, you can break up your Movement even further by moving between those attacks. For example, a Fighter who can make two attacks with the Extra Attack feature and who has a speed of 25 feet could move 10 feet, make an attack, move 15 feet, and then attack again.
It's so simple why aren't you getting this simple thing in this simple game. e: oh you saw it

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 17, 2018

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

AlphaDog posted:

They definitely do not.

Still wrong. We aren't attacking between the action attacks (which is ok). We are moving before the action starts (which is also ok).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is actually simple. You can move at any time. The end pretty much.

tzirean posted:

That makes a lot of sense and I probably wouldn't have figured it out this early. Thanks!

I would not do this. It's going to change the entire game to the point you should just play 4e were that is part of the base game.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 17, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ritorix posted:

Still wrong. We aren't attacking between the action attacks (which is ok). We are moving before the action starts (which is also ok).
Nope! You have to take the action to use the bonus action.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ritorix posted:

Still wrong. We aren't attacking between the action attacks. We are moving before the action starts.

What? We're talking about moving after a shield push granted by a bonus-action (that has to happen after you take the attack-action), before any of your attack-action-attacks.

MonsterEnvy posted:

You are wrong. See my previous post.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

No you don't

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's a pretty simple game except for the rules bits.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Splicer posted:

Sure. And we are doing that as our action. After we move. Which we can do.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

No you don't

Can you explain how you can start something that can only happen "if you take the attack action", before you take the attack action?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
"As with most bonus actions, you choose the timing, so the Shield Master shove can come before or after the Attack action."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Okay wait, once again, this sounds wrong. The attack action hasn't happened when you do the shield shove, you do the shove before you take the action, just after you announce your binding intent to. Crawford's response says "As with most bonus actions, you choose the timing, so the Shield Master shove can come before or after the Attack action" - if it comes before, you haven't yet taken the attack action and none of this applies, qed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 17, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

No you don't
You need to use an attack action to use Shield Mastery's shield shove bonus action.

ritorix posted:

Sure. And we are doing that as our action. After we move. Which we can do.
So you can't move between the shield shove and your first attack, which was the point.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

"As with most bonus actions, you choose the timing, so the Shield Master shove can come before or after the Attack action."

Except the feat states that you have to start the Attack action to do it, so you are stuck shoving someone and then you cannot move because shoving in this case is not an attack and doesn't let you use the clause in the attack action moving because you have to attack before moving that way

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Okay wait, once again, this sounds wrong. The attack action hasn't happened when you do the shield shove, you do the shove before you take the action, just after you announce your binding intent to. Crawford's response says "As with most bonus actions, you choose the timing, so the Shield Master shove can come before or after the Attack action" - if it comes before, you haven't yet taken the attack action and none of this applies, qed.
So you're taking a bonus action triggered by an Action that you have not yet taken?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Well yeah, if the wording in the rulebook turns out to be wrong, then of course it doesn't work like it's worded in the rulebook, it's so simple I can't believe you guys discussing the rulebook didn't see it :rolleyes:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Splicer posted:

So you're taking a bonus action triggered by an Action that you have not yet taken?
Indeed. The point of that ruling was that a binding good faith declaration of intent to attack was enough. It sounds bizarre but it's way less bizarre than a single feat creating a phase of your own turn in which using your movement speed is not an option, something not done by anything else in the game. That's kinda the point of sage advice, no? To override poorly-worded stuff in the phb?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This discussion started with someone saying that the game should be run as-is before any changes to the rules are made, and people claiming that the game is simple.

Darwinism posted:

Except the feat states that you have to start the Attack action to do it, so you are stuck shoving someone and then you cannot move because shoving in this case is not an attack and doesn't let you use the clause in the attack action moving because you have to attack before moving that way

...and this is why the game is not simple. You read the rules and do what they say, and this is what you get.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 17, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’m putting the attack action on the stack.

Ryuujin posted:

Basically they didn't deliver on pretty much any of the promises they made. They had an open playtest, where it seemed like they weren't listening to feedback, and pretty much EXPLICITLY stated this in a round about way by saying that oh we forgot how that worked because we are internally playtesting versions that are multiple revisions ahead of what you are playtesting, so things aren't the same as what you are testing. In other words they did their own internal playtests, then moved on, and eventually threw out to the public old versions that weren't being used any more to claim that the general public had some influence on how Next,

They lost the remainder of my respect when they did this.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

This discussion started with someone saying that the game should be run as-is before any changes to the rules are made, and people claiming that the game is simple.
I don't think anyone means this even with respect to phb errata provided by the author. Y'all are so hungry to fight a straw-poster from 5 years ago...

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

DalaranJ posted:

They lost the remainder of my respect when they did this.
For me it was going full dumbass on their 3 silos/pillars.

If you're going to identify 3 distinct areas of your game, you give everyone something to do in them instead of explicitly going 100/0/0 fighter and saying this is a good idea.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I don't think anyone means this even with respect to phb errata provided by the author. Y'all are so hungry to fight a straw-poster from 5 years ago...

Does that change appear in an errata document?

ImpactVector posted:

For me it was getting blocked on Twitter for asking if 3 pages of the fighter rules had been accidentally omitted from the most recent playtest (where every class had 4 pages of rules except the fighter, which had 1).

Like, my tweet was, verbatim "Could you please tell me if some fighter rules were accidentally left out? Every other class has 4 pages."

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 17, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ImpactVector posted:

If you're going to identify 3 distinct areas of your game, you give everyone something to do in them instead of explicitly going 100/0/0 fighter and saying this is a good idea.

Yeah, I changed my post from “all” to “remainder” before I posted specifically because of that article.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

As it turns out, reducing a game to numbers shuffling around on a grid also makes it really easy to write predictable design.

And besides, no matter how "boardgamey" your combat is, if you can still make narrative decisions as to who, what, how, where, and when to fight, is that not still roleplaying regardless?

Sure - but (placeholder for effort response later, if I remember).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Does that change appear in an errata document?
That's what sage advice is, no? I don't think it's in the compendium but that falls under errata to me.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That's what sage advice is, no? I don't think it's in the compendium but that falls under errata to me.

Originally, Sage Advice was explicitly described as not being errata. If that's changed, then my bad.

If it is errata, then it really should go into the same document as other errata rather than residing in a separate place.

e: Also, I think errata should replace or add to the rules. As in "replace the paragraph beginning <like this> with <replacement paragraph", or "after the sentence ending <like this>, insert <new sentence>", rather than "here's my interpretation". I guess it's just my opinion, but I want a patch, not a workaround.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

ImpactVector posted:

I checked out after the Fighter got a massive nerf(I think it was when Damage on a Miss got taken out). The next playtest poll was "What's more iconic, Red Dragons or Beholders?"

At that point I realized we were in more of a Blizzard hype "beta" than an actual playtest.

It was kind of amazing watching this thread's predecessor go from enthusiasm and excitement to confusion and disappointment. People forget Goons were loving HYPE when 5e was announced.