Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This house sounds kinda cool though. Are there any photos you can share that aren't doxxable?

It's a cool house! The main floor living space definitely just hard sold me on it. I adore this kind of stuff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The nice thing is that we do have money - we both are engineers on six figures and being able to move to the middle of nowhere paying middle of nowhere prices for housing means that we can afford problems

Well carry on then, that's not the typical scenario.

And strap in, because this is (1) a flip of a (2) commercial property turned into residential (3) kinda but not really if they left a commercial boiler. So it's going to have both commercial and residential issues requiring a variety of contractors who don't normally service residential.

Leperflesh posted:

Motronic might have missed that you replied to me saying it had added interior layers of insulation and drywall.

Did not - because if they can still see main beams it's not insulated like a modern residence, it's just a 60s commercial building in the shape of a church still. Why would you build in a place like that and then hide the ceiling? Just the fact that it has high ceilings adds to the interior volume you have to heat so no matter what this thing is going to be much less energy efficient than a similar residential building from the 60s. There's no free lunch here, and there's no magic heat source unless the commercial boiler is a nuke plant. (e: yep, the above is exactly what I was picturing because that's "the formula" for these church conversions - there's a 2 story formula for older churches where you have floor to ceiling stained glass windows on the "second floor")

A lot of what was said simply doesn't add up, and "tell me what I don't know that I don't know" in specifics is impossible obviously, but the whole premise of what is being discussed is a risky and expensive proposition. Hope for the best, but save for the worst until this thing has several years post-remodel to figure out what works and what doesn't.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

It's a cool house! The main floor living space definitely just hard sold me on it. I adore this kind of stuff:

That is beautiful. I really like the classic "turned the boat upside down and called it a church!" aesthetic.

I am a sucker for live/work kind of spaces, not that I have ever actually lived in one, but that kind of great big open living space with tucked-away sleeping zones seems really fun.

What sort of neighbors do you have, though?? A church from the 60s isn't exactly going to be like those 100 year old churches surrounded by houses on every side. You're probably in a commercial zone, I would think?

What's the parking situation? Do you technically have a "parking lot" instead of a driveway?

(I realize this isn't really on topic for the thread but drat this is a fascinating home)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That is beautiful. I really like the classic "turned the boat upside down and called it a church!" aesthetic.

I am a sucker for live/work kind of spaces, not that I have ever actually lived in one, but that kind of great big open living space with tucked-away sleeping zones seems really fun.

What sort of neighbors do you have, though?? A church from the 60s isn't exactly going to be like those 100 year old churches surrounded by houses on every side. You're probably in a commercial zone, I would think?

What's the parking situation? Do you technically have a "parking lot" instead of a driveway?

(I realize this isn't really on topic for the thread but drat this is a fascinating home)

It's a super bizarre property for sure. It's in a town of under 2000, so it's just plopped right on the corner of a residential block -- it is actually surrounded by homes as a result. The lot immediately adjacent to us is empty (and part of our property). As we understand, the folks across from us are a retired couple, so it'll probably be very quiet. We have a drive way, and we also have a chunk carved out in front of the home that's about 5 car lengths long for parking as well which is kind of a neat bonus. The empty lot was the parking lot, but has since been planted, although I don't think it's been tilled, so I doubt it'll grow to well. Put that on the pile of projects.

It's quite a thing. We both grew up in small towns like this, we both moved to greater LA for the better part of a decade, and now we are both moving back to a small town. I would have never guessed this was the path I'd take, but here we are.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 27, 2022

bort
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just because you have a bunch of room in the church where the pews used to be, does not mean you don't have to take out the garbage for a long time.
Can someone source this for me?

I love that space, Canine Blues Arooo! I've had a bunch of up-front charges in my building purchase (what's a :airquote: parapet? :airquote:), so as long as you can soak that up, you're gonna be fine. Get lots of quotes before you do anything.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

The nice thing is that we do have money - we both are engineers on six figures and being able to move to the middle of nowhere paying middle of nowhere prices for housing means that we can afford problems

Welp pack it in everybody they're engineers and know what they're doing nothing could possibly go wrong.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What are the taxes like? Big on square footage, in a small town, with a recent rehab, and not having been assessed for taxes prior because it was a church.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cursedshitbox posted:

Welp pack it in everybody they're engineers and know what they're doing nothing could possibly go wrong.

This seems needlessly hostile. Brother man is right that cash flow can do a lot of covering for ignorance and he admits he doesn’t know stuff. What else do you want?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just because you have a bunch of room in the church where the pews used to be, does not mean you don't have to take out the garbage for a long time.

that's from babylon 5 right?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What are the taxes like? Big on square footage, in a small town, with a recent rehab, and not having been assessed for taxes prior because it was a church.

It was assessed last month and I think if I read the assessment right, it's about $3100 / year. I have no idea how they came up with that number, but that is the number I was told.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

bort posted:

Can someone source this for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: my post makes no sense since I didn't see the photos above, so nevermind

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This seems needlessly hostile. Brother man is right that cash flow can do a lot of covering for ignorance and he admits he doesn’t know stuff. What else do you want?

:yeah:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 28, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
As long as you have the budget and can give in to calling someone for repairs, cool, enjoy the local oddity house.

There are churches for sale all over the midwest. Sometimes you'll see a detached rectory for sale. A nice catholic rectory near where I grew up, two story, all brick, 100+ year old, well maintained 4 bed 2 bath, sold for $85k last year not far from where I grew up. Came with over an acre and a garage. The church itself is still open, but now shares priests with a few other churches, so they didn't need the place.

Pictures were great, interior woodwork was top notch, everything updated, but it was probably haunted by the spirits of choir boys. And it's in the midwest, so no thanks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does it have a murder room crypt :black101:

Very cool house. I'm sure the city is psyched to have someone maintaining that thing instead of leaving it to rot

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Motronic posted:

Well carry on then, that's not the typical scenario.

And strap in, because this is (1) a flip of a (2) commercial property turned into residential (3) kinda but not really if they left a commercial boiler. So it's going to have both commercial and residential issues requiring a variety of contractors who don't normally service residential.

Did not - because if they can still see main beams it's not insulated like a modern residence, it's just a 60s commercial building in the shape of a church still. Why would you build in a place like that and then hide the ceiling? Just the fact that it has high ceilings adds to the interior volume you have to heat so no matter what this thing is going to be much less energy efficient than a similar residential building from the 60s. There's no free lunch here, and there's no magic heat source unless the commercial boiler is a nuke plant. (e: yep, the above is exactly what I was picturing because that's "the formula" for these church conversions - there's a 2 story formula for older churches where you have floor to ceiling stained glass windows on the "second floor")

A lot of what was said simply doesn't add up, and "tell me what I don't know that I don't know" in specifics is impossible obviously, but the whole premise of what is being discussed is a risky and expensive proposition. Hope for the best, but save for the worst until this thing has several years post-remodel to figure out what works and what doesn't.
Are you saying they had an apse in judgment?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

cursedshitbox posted:

found the shop tech

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
That church house looks dope. For some reason, I was picturing the types of churches I went to as a kid (dark, old and janky) so that caught me by surprise.

Recently, my wife was getting the itch to try and move to a bigger house but we're sitting pretty with a 3% rate and a perfectly adequate house so all I had to do was let her browse Realtor and play around with the payment calculator with the current interest rates.
That shut things down pretty quick lol.

vv ya that's actually what I told her. Better to do some little renovations here and there if we want

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 28, 2022

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

hmmxkrazee posted:

That church house looks dope. For some reason, I was picturing the types of churches I went to as a kid (dark, old and janky) so that caught me by surprise.

Recently, my wife was getting the itch to try and move to a bigger house but we're sitting pretty with a 3% rate and a perfectly adequate house so all I had to do was let her browse Realtor and play around with the payment calculator with the current interest rates.
That shut things down pretty quick lol.

Consider making a list of the things you would do to make your house nice before you sell it. Then do those things and enjoy.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

builds character posted:

Consider making a list of the things you would do to make your house nice before you sell it. Then do those things and enjoy.

That’s what we did sort of. A lot of them were “pretty much have to address this to make it saleable without a big discount “ which we then decided to not bare bones because we decided we weren’t sure and by the time we got done with the design phase we realized that once the work was done we’d actually like living here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dik Hz posted:

I audibly groaned when I read this post

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dik Hz posted:

The only questionable design was how they converted the sepulcher to a master suite.

Did they really need hymns & hearse walk-in closets?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

It's pretty great looking, and when people post pics like these of church or otherwise large renos, I have pangs of jealousy until I really start thinking about living there. Heating/cooling that space, cleaning it, hell, just realizing that I forgot my drink like 80 yards away on the other side of the room... I'd be interested in a trip report some day on how day to day life in it is.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Slugworth posted:

just realizing that I forgot my drink like 80 yards away on the other side of the room...

I broke down and installed a Nest Thermostat after a year of going down 2 flights to adjust the temp over and over in my townhome.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

spwrozek posted:

I broke down and installed a Nest Thermostat after a year of going down 2 flights to adjust the temp over and over in my townhome.
Get the remote sensors

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Slugworth posted:

hell, just realizing that I forgot my drink like 80 yards away on the other side of the room...

I mean, just skate over and pick it up. You would be wearing roller skates at all times wouldn't you?

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

bort posted:

Get the remote sensors

This was a huge QoL improvement for us. Regulate temperature upstairs (where the bedrooms are) at night, regulate temperature downstairs otherwise.

Forget to set the thermostat before crawling into bed? No biggie, whip out the phone and click.

I did have to turn off the auto learning feature, though. I’d set the temperature and sometimes within 10 minutes it would decide to drop the setting by 5 degrees because algorithm.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Those interior photos look gorgeous.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

found the shop tech

Found the lot porter

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

It's pretty great looking, and when people post pics like these of church or otherwise large renos, I have pangs of jealousy until I really start thinking about living there. Heating/cooling that space, cleaning it, hell, just realizing that I forgot my drink like 80 yards away on the other side of the room... I'd be interested in a trip report some day on how day to day life in it is.

For sure - we have two cats and I'm pretty sure they are gonna love it and I'm going to hate cleaning up hair over that much space (among other things). I do want to document or blog or Iunno, somehow track this experience. I'll try and remember to circle back here (or more likely, the home-owners thread) in about a year.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 28, 2022

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did they really need hymns & hearse walk-in closets?
:golfclap:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

hattersmad posted:

I did have to turn off the auto learning feature, though. I’d set the temperature and sometimes within 10 minutes it would decide to drop the setting by 5 degrees because algorithm.
Yeah, the autolearning sucks. It's been overkill for me in three different apartments. I need scheduling and that's it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

average rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage hit 6.94% this week, up from 6.92% a week earlier

rate on a 15-year fixed mortgage is averaging 6.23%, up from 6.09% last week

popular five-year adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) averaged 5.71% this week, down from 5.81% a week earlier. A year ago at this time, these adjustable mortgages averaged 2.54%

New stat,

USA today posted:

Year-over-year, pending transactions plunged by 31%,

Northeast Pending Home Sales Index decline of 30.1% from September 2021.

Midwest index, down 26.7% from one year ago.

The South Pending Home Sales Index a drop of 30.0% from the prior year.

West index slipped down 38.7% from September 2021.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/real-estate/2022/10/28/home-sales-down-mortgage-rates/10623190002/

We were in Sonoma for about a week and after three years of fighting for scraps of vacant land checked last weekend at wife's suggestion to find that there are a bunch of truly buildable 10 acre lots for sale in the area at reasonable prices, most with price cuts

I think I also saw that 30 year fixed mortgage rates were up in the 7%s again which isn't going to help much. Curious to see how many people pull their property off the market rather than keep it listed for months on end

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

I think I also saw that 30 year fixed mortgage rates were up in the 7%s again which isn't going to help much. Curious to see how many people pull their property off the market rather than keep it listed for months on end

7.16 last I looked.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How many of those sonoma county buildable lots were recently burned to the ground? Because there's a lot of them in the area.

for example,
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Rosa/2000-Los-Alamos-Rd-95409/home/22479508
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Rosa/1925-Los-Alamos-Rd-95409/home/2280671
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Rosa/8120-Tarwater-Rd-95404/home/2277748

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 28, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hadlock posted:

Curious to see how many people pull their property off the market rather than keep it listed for months on end

On land? Lol. In a desirable part of the country? Lmao.

Some might drop a little, anyone doing major cuts is probably panic selling to cover other bills, but most likely, they'll pay the cheap taxes for raw land and wait a few years, listed or not, for someone to take a serious sniff at it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Related, we're seeing a huge bust on Willamette Valley agricultural land right now, because the expectation is for the Portland metro to be blanketed in toxic wildfire smoke 1-2x weeks per year.

It literally ruins the grapes and you miss a whole harvest, so plopping down a few acres of grapevine on rich Jory soil isn't as tempting anymore.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whoops I meant to write Sonora, which is in a different part of wildfire country, closer to Yosemite, about 150 miles from Sonoma

Yeah I was eyeballing some of the berryessa highland properties there are some lake view lots under $100k but even if you somehow get fire insurance it's gonna be through the roof

Lake Berryessa is a bizzare looking, hellblasted chunk of land now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sonora, not the county but the city, yeah I understand now lol.

Sierra foothills property is worth a lot less because it's not near employment centers, but is also just as prone to fires as the places that are (like sonoma county). It's extremely beautiful there. Those communities are in trouble. They rely a lot on tourism & travel industries which we can expect to be depressed as fire takes more and more of the forests up there and ski seasons become shorter and shorter due to climate change.

Here's an example that has a good representative areal photo:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sonora/Old-Wards-Ferry-Rd-95370/home/179245346

It's parched. That's a tinderbox every year. $15,600 an acre sounds great for california real estate, but that price is probably still higher than the land should be valued if you fully account for the risks of the coming decades.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 28, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it was super dry when we were up there. It's gonna torch off and, probably?, be good for 30 years. Landscaping with engineered fire breaks and fire resistant construction/roofing are a must going forward. Just like how every pre-1992* house in Florida gets wiped off the map when a hurricane rolls through and the 2010-era homes all survive, I think the era of hand built cabins nestled in the woods with cedar shingle roofs is over; modern construction and landscaping are going to look very different there

*1992 is when hurricane Andrew rolled through/bulldozed Miami and forced the modernization of coastal building codes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When fire blitzes through a community it does not just convert into "fine for the next 30 years". To begin with, it guts the community, you lose all your services and they don't just magically pop back. You also lose much of your infrastructure. Two or three years after the fire, depending on intensity, you can have a lot of standing dead wood and a lot of fresh underbrush that dries out every year, making the whole landscape vulnerable to brushfire. If you get tree regrowth (and that's not a given as climate changes), you'll have some fast-growing species mature within ten years.

If you're insured, you're turnign over your now-worthless land to your insurer, or, you're actually rebuilding with the payout, which will take years because there aren't enough local builders to go around. And you're missing your local restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. as those businesses are all hosed by the fire too.

Take a good look at how Paradise has recovered so far. There's a lot for the locals to be proud of, they had 1000 houses rebuilt as of last year, but they're a long, long way away from having a fully recovered community and there's some hard questions about whether it makes sense to rebuild places like that at all.