Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Catapult orders in. Heading to 0544, taking a potshot at the Armoured Technical at 1239 in a vague attempt to pull aggro.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: I don't suggest trying it if you've got piloting worse than 5 though! The T-Wrex probably shouldn't be playing Godzilla because if it falls on its rear end it's only got a 50% chance to stand up again.

Besides, I've got Jump-jets. Why play Godzilla when I can be Mothra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Cloud Potato posted:

Catapult orders in. Heading to 0544, taking a potshot at the Armoured Technical at 1239 in a vague attempt to pull aggro.

Besides, I've got Jump-jets. Why play Godzilla when I can be Mothra?

Just remember not to take twenty or more damage in a single turn and you'll be fine.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Scintilla posted:

Just remember not to take twenty or more damage in a single turn and you'll be fine.

That's actually a really good point.

Do Not make yourself a target, if you can avoid it. You won't be able to, because that's a silly amount of firepower you're packing. Any time it looks like you'll take 20+ damage, plan around falling over.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SolusLunes posted:

The T-Wrex could careful stand? Don't know/remember if you're going with that rule.

7 - 2 = 5+

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
'sup, terrible piloting score buddy. My advice is to thank god for the jump jets and do everything in your power to avoid taking any leg crits.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fire your jumpjets while lying down, do a Kerbal face-toboggan.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
Looks like the order for this turn is to run to 2044 (6 move, counting the elevation change up and the one down, no piloting check either way) and set up for next turn to knock down 1941, 1942, 2040, 2041.

Wrecking ball is one hex/turn to turn them to rough ground, I think. On the next turn, does it make sense to walk through one hex and wrecking ball the other?

(actually, should I also be hunting for mansions to level for GruntyThrst, or does he need to level those personally?)

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

goatface posted:

Get someone to shoot him in the face and wrestle someone else then.

That;s probably the best course of action with him. let people with range like me and Grunty hit him since he can't do much at range. And probably get fool_of_sound in on the action too since those ac20's can strip off the armor or destroy a section completely.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do the spikes disappear when the armour does? You could do a fancy finisher on him once he's naked for bonus hype.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Do the spikes disappear when the armour does? You could do a fancy finisher on him once he's naked for bonus hype.

There's a chance that they get blown off every time the section they're on takes damage.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
So shoot him with MGs? This should result in some spread out damage.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

I apparently can't do simple math. Hurr.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh no, you can. I'm just pointing out that even with a careful stand the Catapult's only as good at standing up as a regular soldier.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
He's a melee-focused mech that always has to make his movements before we do. He's not dangerous unless he pulls Ace status out of his sleeve. Just have the Charger go piledrive somebody else while anyone with guns takes care of that one dude.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Also, if I'm remembering correctly, if a multi-hex building loses 50% or more of the hexes comprising it, the rest collapse too. Is that the case, PTN? If so, it's useful for goons to know, so you guys don't have to destroy every hex of a building to get the entire thing down.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
True for the medium buildings, but the light buildings are like strip malls and row houses. Taking one out won't necessarily ruin the rest, since they're all individual buildings that just happen to share interior walls.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

I want to, but it doesn't seem like it's in the rules and to emulate it would be very very hard. It'd have to be jumpjet to guy, throw two punches, have them both land and hit opposite arms and do enough to break them off, then the next turn grab him, then do <one of the followups> and destroy the 'mech via CT.

So yeah. I want to, but I don't think it's happening guys.

I'd be satisfied with sufficient embellishment of one of the initiator hits. Both punches hit and the fluff is awesome, that's enough for me.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Scintilla posted:

And stay clear of the Gladiator with the chain whip.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kilty Monroe posted:

And stay clear of the Gladiator with the chain whip.

actually be 3 hexes out from him and then unleash the srms.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And then snicker as he overcharges the Bombast Laser (just like MechAssault! :v: ) and misses you because doing that tanks the accuracy harder than fighting in a Magnitude 10 earthquake while on fire.

It takes a targeting computer to make a Bombast Laser as effective as a Large Laser. It's one of my favorite terrible weapons because it's just so objectively bad.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 14, 2014

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

At least it looks cool, can't really say the same when speaking of an AC/5.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SIGSEGV posted:

At least it looks cool, can't really say the same when speaking of an AC/5.

I actually prototyped out all of the NRWR `Mechs, from initial low-tech designs to the modern crazytown Jihad tech.

The prototype of the hundred tonner had 6 light AC/5s and a Gauss Rifle.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What was it meant to be for?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'd say slightly sub-par long range crit seeking but the range on the Light AC/5 doesn't really qualify for that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

goatface posted:

Seems to be a proof-of-concept which didn't.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Seems to be a proof-of-concept which didn't.

In a world that is home to the shawk-2D, that isn't really a problem.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

I'd say slightly sub-par long range crit seeking but the range on the Light AC/5 doesn't really qualify for that.

When all your known adversaries are using introtech, 15 hexes is fairly good range- the only things that go further are non-Light AC/5s, PPCs and LRMs. 30 damage at 15 hexes, plus presumably some special ammo like AP or Precision.... And backed by a Gauss for real long range, that doesn't seem too bad.

Edit: Oh, and AC/2s. But those aren't really weapons as much as they are spitball guns anyway.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 15, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

Edit: Oh, and AC/2s. But those aren't really weapons as much as they are spitball guns anyway.

Thrush Aerospace Fighter must make a 4+ control roll, rolls 3! Thrush Aerospace Fighter crashes!

I wish I had the stats for Aerospace Fighters, they'd see some use.

goatface posted:

Bombast Lasers LOOK really impressive, because they do the ominous charge-up glow before they fire. So of course Solaris VII loves them (even though they're poo poo).

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I think he was referring to the Light AC-5 all gunnery all the time mech. Guessing it was for being maximally awesome?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thrush Aerospace Fighter must make a 4+ control roll, rolls 3! Thrush Aerospace Fighter crashes!

I wish I had the stats for Aerospace Fighters, they'd see some use.

Pff, a farmer's rifle can make a Union take a PSR and crash, I should be impressed an AC/2 can make some flimsy Light Aero do the same?

But seriously, as far as ground-based combat goes the AC/2's pretty bad. Like, "I would rather send in conventional fighters if the enemy has ASF" bad.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Shoeless posted:

Pff, a farmer's rifle can make a Union take a PSR and crash, I should be impressed an AC/2 can make some flimsy Light Aero do the same?

But seriously, as far as ground-based combat goes the AC/2's pretty bad. Like, "I would rather send in conventional fighters if the enemy has ASF" bad.

...Can a farmer's rifle, by RAW, cause that to happen?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ No.

Shoeless posted:

In fairness, the `Mechbuster fighter is an atmospheric aircraft and it's pretty great, and propeller planes get bonuses to not flying into the ground (and VTOLs don't make those tests at all).

I'm tempted to run a mission someday where all autocannons do 15 damage or something and reverse their firing ranges (so the heavy autocannon fires farthest and the light autocannons are short-range deals), just to see what'd happen.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Are there even any 'mechs, outside of the Kraken, where AC/2's actually feature prominently?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

I actually prototyped out all of the NRWR `Mechs, from initial low-tech designs to the modern crazytown Jihad tech.

The prototype of the hundred tonner had 6 light AC/5s and a Gauss Rifle.

Load that puppy up with Flechette Ammo and you've got a 100-ton Walking War Crime.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 15, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

It's an unfinished prototype that had to make some unfortunate sacrifices to get off the ground. The Lyrans wanted a head chopping laser could be a drop in replacement for a PPC but had to give it a wimpy power supply to make weight. The accuracy penalties come from wasting the pilot's time babysitting a slowly charging laser.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Otter Madness posted:

Are there even any 'mechs, outside of the Kraken, where AC/2's actually feature prominently?

The JagerMech is AC/5s and AC/2s. Stock Mauler packs on four of them. The Blackjack uses two AC/2s and some medium lasers.

Sair
May 11, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm tempted to run a mission someday where all autocannons do 15 damage or something and reverse their firing ranges (so the heavy autocannon fires farthest and the light autocannons are short-range deals), just to see what'd happen.

You just made urbies a lot scarier.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Still short some orders for the Centurion and Warhammer (Whammy pilot let me know he'd be late, it's cool). It's not a big deal yet since it'll take me a little longer than normal to get started on the update (fixing my windshield tomorrow :toot: ) but please don't forget to send orders on the first turn!

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Sair posted:

You just made urbies a lot scarier.

There's already the UM-R60L if you want a AC/20 monster urbie.

It's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Whammy reporting in- I'm tempted to just pop this mansion in front of me right off the back since the catapult is shooting at the technical. Can I shoot over that hill in front of me and try to knock those buildings between us and the Firestarter?

• Locked thread