Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

PT6A posted:

If you run a fish and chips shop, and your primary market isn't drunk people, you deserve to go out of business.

Also applies to donair/shawarma shops.

The local Polish hall I used to do work for has a hell of a time getting most of its clientele to cough up $3.50 for a single beer and we get a lot of hemming and hawing whenever we raise the price of a schnitzel by a dime every 4 years because meat keeps going up.

We pay slightly more than minimum wage, but my hope is that a) we can finally increase our prices even more by using this as an excuse, and b) it stimulates the local economy enough that the townies that come in might actually spend more money on drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JawKnee posted:

Stiegl's is superior

This is beyond true. It's weird, we have a non-alcoholic radler that's also lemonaid.

Radlers are significantly better than all the manky lovely hopp beers that are being shoved out by microbrews.

I am seeing people now going "What about all the CEOs? They make the economy move by employing people!" though to most peoples credit, they're being met with "are you seriously still believing that?"

I really don't understand why Scheer comes out "No more trans rights!" at the start. Who is he trying to appeal to? I really doubt that's something that most Canadians are worried about. Unless they're going to try some US style scare stories about perverts dressing up like women to record girls in bathrooms and claiming they're trans so they cannot be arrested.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Old people are dumb and terrible, more at 11. Their sales didn't drop because of the tax, they dropped because of that.

Oh yeah, like the owners weren't really "blaming" the tax they were more just like "our sales dropped because old people wouldn't pay an extra $0.50 for their meal so we couldn't afford to stay in business".

The place is still around, I know a Chinese family bought it and then turned it into more tempura-style fish and chips than the old English style (despite keeping the Wee Chippie name and union jack logo ahah), but I think they might have since sold it because it's moved again and now whoever the new owners are have changed the logo from the union jack to an Irish flag. I haven't been there in like ten years though so I don't know for sure.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

twistedmentat posted:

Radlers are significantly better than all the manky lovely hopp beers that are being shoved out by microbrews.

This is the most baffling thing I've ever seen on this thread. Hops belongs in beer. Grapefruit juice does not belong in beer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's why I don't give a poo poo when some change puts businesses out of business: retail and services are a bit of a zero sum game. A community only has so much disposable income to spend on poo poo like coffees or eating out or getting their nails done. Smoking ban leads to some places closing down? That's not hurting the local economy, it's hurting those specific places that closed down, people will spend their money on something else or somewhere else. lovely bar you went to shut down? Now you got to a different one, or maybe smoking is so important to you that you only drink at home but you spend the savings at the local book store or bought those woodworking tools you had your eye on. You're still spending your limited income, just somewhere else.

This idea that we need to protect retail and service as if they were the economic engines is ridiculous. You want retail to do well? Make sure the people in the community have disposable income, raise wages, lower the cost of living. Retail and general small business depends entirely on locals having disposable income, lowering wages and protecting under-paying workers doesn't work and doesn't match the logic of small business being economic engines. If small business is good for the community it means they're sources of gainful employment that create jobs that grow the wealth of the community. But if the jobs created by small business don't pay enough to create more consumers with disposable incomes to "trickle up" to other local businesses or in fact pay so little those people require government assistance then those small businesses are most likely a net economic drain on the community. They aren't economic engines that need to be fueled with minimum wage blood, they're parasites taking advantage of suppressed wages and government services to run a business that shouldn't exist.

gently caress small business.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 1, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is the most baffling thing I've ever seen on this thread. Hops belongs in beer. Grapefruit juice does not belong in beer.

hops belong in beer, but dumping tons and tons of hops in because you're uncreative or trying to hide your a bad brewer is significantly worse. I've had some beers that tasted like month old gymsocks that people told me "oh they're great, they're full of hops!"

It's like people who seem to think that dumping hot sauce on everything is the only way anything tastes good.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I like hops in beer, but so many beers today are so fuckin' hoppy. If it takes grapefruit juice to even this out, I'll gladly take it.

Also you hate fun.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Stiegl's is superior

:yeah: Though I prefer Krombacher's lemonade radler but the LCBO doesn't stock that poo poo no more. :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hoppy IPAs are the worst beer I've ever had. All of them.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
All the olds going to order their fish n chips from amazon to save a dollar

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
:lol: now that the hops fad has swung the other way it's time to be snobs about how there's too much hops in beer instead of not enough

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

50% juice 50% beer. Just buy beer and juice and mix them together. It's the beer equivalent of people who buy premixed canned rye and coke.

Nah. I make beer in my spare time so I have plenty of ultra strong stuff on hand. Try making a lemon/orange/grapefruit mix with a good czech pilsner, and you're going to get a mostly flat lovely drink

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Baronjutter posted:

Here's why I don't give a poo poo when some change puts businesses out of business: retail and services are a bit of a zero sum game. A community only has so much disposable income to spend on poo poo like coffees or eating out or getting their nails done. Smoking ban leads to some places closing down? That's not hurting the local economy, it's hurting those specific places that closed down, people will spend their money on something else or somewhere else. lovely bar you went to shut down? Now you got to a different one, or maybe smoking is so important to you that you only drink at home but you spend the savings at the local book store or bought those woodworking tools you had your eye on. You're still spending your limited income, just somewhere else.

This idea that we need to protect retail and service as if they were the economic engines is ridiculous. You want retail to do well? Make sure the people in the community have disposable income, raise wages, lower the cost of living. Retail and general small business depends entirely on locals having disposable income, lowering wages and protecting under-paying workers doesn't work and doesn't match the logic of small business being economic engines. If small business is good for the community it means they're sources of gainful employment that create jobs that grow the wealth of the community. But if the jobs created by small business don't pay enough to create more consumers with disposable incomes to "trickle up" to other local businesses or in fact pay so little those people require government assistance then those small businesses are most likely a net economic drain on the community. They aren't economic engines that need to be fueled with minimum wage blood, they're parasites taking advantage of suppressed wages and government services to run a business that shouldn't exist.

Want to quote this forever

Also want to add, if a wage increase from 11.40 to 15.00 an hour for it's lowest employees kills a business, that business was already dead, the wage increase was just a few bullets in a corpse.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

:lol: now that the hops fad has swung the other way it's time to be snobs about how there's too much hops in beer instead of not enough

In my defense I've always held the position that hoppy beer is bad and IPAs are poo poo.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 26, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Companies like walmart only exist because of this minimum wage suppression and massive government subsidies. If walmart had to pay people a living wage and full health benefits it would be a different story. Walmart just does what lovely small business does but on a massive scale.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Walmart is dying a slow, but painful death and I hope minimum wage increases finish the job

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Small business is good because we can coerce them to spend the money we give them in grants and tax breaks on a living wage for their employees, but giving that money directly to the employees and cutting out the redundant business entirely is bad because

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Drink beer that you like and stop giving a poo poo what others think. Only a loving rear end in a top hat looks down on someone for a brand of alcohol.

Having said that - support your local breweries.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kriek + lager = yummmmmm

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Companies like walmart only exist because of this minimum wage suppression and massive government subsidies. If walmart had to pay people a living wage and full health benefits it would be a different story. Walmart just does what lovely small business does but on a massive scale.

WalMart benefits from exploiting minimum wage laws but was an absurdly successful company for a very long time before they started advising their employees to use food stamps and rely on food banks at Christmas. Same goes for McDonalds.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jordan7hm posted:

WalMart benefits from exploiting minimum wage laws but was an absurdly successful company for a very long time before they started advising their employees to use food stamps and rely on food banks at Christmas. Same goes for McDonalds.

They also depend on horrific labour laws and wages in the production of their products and basically extort their suppliers into constantly lowering production costs and margins, it's awful.
Maybe the problem is that even with good local minimum wage laws and labour rights there's still no such thing as ethical capitalism :)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Vintersorg posted:

Drink beer that you like and stop giving a poo poo what others think. Only a loving rear end in a top hat looks down on someone for a brand of alcohol.

Having said that - support your local breweries.

The number of jobs created by an independent microbrewery is near the same as Molson's huge new plant they're building to replace the one near Burrard bridge. It's hilarious how worthless these large manufacturers are now to the local economy. They hoover up tax incentives and basically employ ten people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

e: Whitewaters Farmer's Daughter is the correct enjoyable beer for this time of year :colbert:

My parents live near cobden where the brewery is and apparently their in house restaurant forgot to hire any staff. That head chef got fired pretty quick. Their beer is better than it used to be but still not my go to. To me they'll always just be a bunch of rafting enthusiasts who decided to make homebrew for their wilderness tours buds and have a surprisingly good marketing arm.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I personally know someone who was a retail store manager who is crying about their entire mall going out of business, but happily buying their stuff online for cheaper prices. In another case I overheard a local business owner having panic attacks now that he has to pay his employees more for minimum wage and will have to raise prices on their products which they source for well below wholesale.

Howbowdat

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 1, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Also, if a gigantic speculative real estate bubble means commercial rents are going up by 100% or 200% YoY, even as incomes in the impacted neighbourhoods are flat or dropping, maybe thats a problem too idk

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

THC posted:

Also, if a gigantic speculative real estate bubble means commercial rents are going up by 100% or 200% YoY, even as incomes in the impacted neighbourhoods are flat or dropping, maybe thats a problem too idk

WHAT IS THIS HERESY, LABOUR IS 100% OF ALL BUSINESS COSTS WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY HERE EXACTLY???

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 26, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Only a loving rear end in a top hat looks down on someone for a brand of alcohol.

Life is way too short to waste your time on the lovely American stuff.

(the above statement is about both beer and politics)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

James Baud posted:

I've never quite understood (or looked into) how it became​ a thing that commercial tenants routinely are responsible for the property taxes on the space they lease while the owners get to sit on the hopefully appreciating land at no cost.

In many cities the commercial mill rates are absurdly high compared to residential, too, even before fun perks like the premium on downtown land values.

Commercial tenants are usually responsible for insurance and building repairs and maintenance as well. The only difference in Residential lending is I would just built everything into your rental price so you don't get to see it broken out.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arcsquad12 posted:

My parents live near cobden where the brewery is and apparently their in house restaurant forgot to hire any staff. That head chef got fired pretty quick. Their beer is better than it used to be but still not my go to. To me they'll always just be a bunch of rafting enthusiasts who decided to make homebrew for their wilderness tours buds and have a surprisingly good marketing arm.

I like most of their beers minus the fruity seasonals and stout, they're super nice guys and you can get their free delivery for 2.80 a can tax and deposit included. They had a crazy IPA this spring I enjoyed, it was the anti-radler https://untappd.com/b/whitewater-brewing-co-jacked-rabbit-espresso-ipa/619014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Canpol in short:

Poster 1: "I like water"
Canpol: "Water is garbage"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Water opinions are a liberal distraction to keep us from focusing on the real issue: the class war.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Beer is poo poo and businessperson should be a pejorative

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Canpol in short:

Poster 1: "I like water"
Canpol: "Water is garbage"

Holy poo poo this

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Evis posted:

Development lots in False Creek Flats offered in untendered deal that needs provincial approval

If this goes ahead that's a pretty incredible return on a small investment in the liberal party.

Nah this will end up being green-lighted by the *BCNDP* lol.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
get this: beau's lugtread ale

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

With minimum wage increasing the complaints aren't based on economics. The outrage exists mainly because people want other people to earn less than them so they can feel better about themselves. A large swathe of people get their value of self out of how much better off they are than other people.

People may say it's because the economy will go to ruin, but the real reason is they want certain people to be poorer than them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Steel and Oak in New Westminster has a new wheat ale with hibicus and rose and it's actually really fuckin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

Steel and Oak in New Westminster has a new wheat ale with hibicus and rose and it's actually really fuckin good

Dieu du Ciel! has had one of those for a while, and it's loving delicious. A+ would drink again. So refreshing on a hot day.