Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Anything that gets rid of the scourge that is leather seats as the premium option on cars is a great thing.

I really don't understand why that has to be a thing. I hate leather seats, I don't want leather seats, why must I be forced to have them if I want a higher trim level?
Cloth seats are great! That's what I want!

Because the majority of people disagree with you? You can get your seats reupholstered if you want, or go super-high trim and get alcantara.

Good leather is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Good leather is also extremely rare in my experience - I've never seen it in a German or Japanese car at all, even the very expensive ones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The GT2 trim in the Stinger has some pretty nice leather. It's not the same stuff they put in Bentleys, but it is a nice place to sit. :shrug:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

KillHour posted:

Because the majority of people disagree with you? You can get your seats reupholstered if you want, or go super-high trim and get alcantara.

Good leather is amazing.

Lol, yeah, lemme just take my new car out of commission for a few days/weeks while someone has the interior redone. After paying for a new car mind you.

I mean, I'm sure good, high quality leather feels great, but that ain't what the majority of cars are getting in them. I'd much rather take a mid-teir cloth seat over the cheap pleather most cars use.

And this may just be a product of living in the south, both southeast and southwest, but most people I know hate leather. It's nice to be able to get into a car and not burn the poo poo out of your legs because the seats are 150*.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My S2000 is my first car with full leather. It's cool outside of the thing where it's a convertible with a black leather interior...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Leather is great on my living room couch, it is bad inside my car.
On of my favorite things about doing the whole importing JDM thing is it locks me to a time when everything was cloth, super nice since I too live in the south. Breathable fabric is cool and good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My fully optioned Mazda 3 has cloth seats :shrug:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dissss posted:

Good leather is also extremely rare in my experience - I've never seen it in a German or Japanese car at all, even the very expensive ones.

The Japanese do cloth and velour well. Their leather is usually really bad, the “leather” in my S13 is horrendous.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I like good leather seats :shrug:

Like the stuff that has a deep grain and is more than a millimeter thick

Like Venetian, Nappa, and Bridge of Weir

Not the stuff that looks and feels like vinyl that is in most cars.

Wool looks and feels amazing, velour feels amazing. Tweed looks amazing, feels terrible.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ExplodingSims posted:

Anything that gets rid of the scourge that is leather seats as the premium option on cars is a great thing.

I really don't understand why that has to be a thing. I hate leather seats, I don't want leather seats, why must I be forced to have them if I want a higher trim level?

OMG someone who is close to my heart about hating leather seats :swoon:

gently caress leather seats, especially in Australian summers.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I enjoy leather because it doesn’t get wet from the skis, the dogs, after a bike ride, etc. Pleather is also fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

fridge corn posted:

My fully optioned Mazda 3 has cloth seats :shrug:

Depends on market.

I really wanted the radar cruise and LED lights on my 3 but they came bundled with leather, sunroof and automatic transmission all of which I actively didn't want. Also

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
My 03 suburban has leather but I can’t tell you if it’s real or fake or if it’s high quality or cheap. It has held up with no tears for almost 300,000 miles, and its real easy to clean up wether it’s dirt, food, drink, whatever.

Does anybody know if that baseball-glove-like leather that they put in the Overland trim level Jeep Grand Cherokees a real upgrade in quality or just appearance?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Its dumb that cloth/leather is not optional in every package. its literally 2 recliners and the rear bench seat. its not like other components are dependent on the trim selection of the seats.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

ExplodingSims posted:

Looks like you're in the century club!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mr-Spain posted:

I will get a Century at some point and I hope to fart in wool.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm okay with leather but god drat I want cooled seats in my next car real bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good leather is really nice tho. My wife's LS has amazing ventilated leather seats. Ventilated seats are like a cool cushiony cloud from comfort land and I love them.

The Protege5 I had years ago not so much, the black Mazda leather was poo poo and it gave me swamp rear end in the summer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/yikes-peugeot-sport-has-made-400bhp-hybrid-508

quote:

Yikes, Peugeot Sport has made a 400bhp hybrid 508

With its petrol-electric drivetrain offering 400bhp, it sounds like it ought to manage.

That comes from a combination of a 197bhp 1.6-litre turbo four and 110bhp electric motor operating on the front axle, and an additional 200bhp motor driving the rear axle. So yep, it’s four-wheel drive, ensuring all of that horsepower should be put to reasonable use.

It all sounds reminiscent of the drivetrain that powered the rather spiffing Peugeot 308 R Hybrid, a near-500bhp hot hatch that sadly never made production. But if this 508 does, the 308 R didn’t die in vain.

Indeed, much of the tech is carried over. While the 308 R offered its full 494bhp output for launch control starts, it operated with a 400bhp limit the rest of time, and that’s what this 508 sticks to. So while all of its power sources add up to an AMG-like 500bhp, they’ll only ever add up to 400bhp in actual use, and only when you’ve prodded it into the sportiest of its four drive modes.

Not that you should worry. It offers similar performance to the 308 R – with a limited 155mph top speed and 0-62mph in 4.3secs – but with a proper WLTP-certified 49g/km of CO2 emissions. ‘WLTP’ is shorthand for ‘actually quite realistic’, don’t forget, and it suggests Peugeot’s actually put this car through proper testing. Confirming its probable production. The 508 PSE will also do 31 miles on electricity alone, which that 308 R couldn’t claim.

I mean, I probably wouldn't buy one? But kinda cool.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

KakerMix posted:

I will get a Century at some point and I hope to fart in wool.

Just wear a suit like me. Don't let those dreams stay dreams.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Mr-Spain posted:

I really, really like the Century. Its a luxury car that understands that sometimes being understated is so much better than trying to stand out.
And I love the concept of wool seats, they look like they'd be so comfortable.

Laserface posted:

Its dumb that cloth/leather is not optional in every package. its literally 2 recliners and the rear bench seat. its not like other components are dependent on the trim selection of the seats.

Yeah, this is what gets me. They already have the seats, so why can't you pick and choose what you want in the car. Package options are dumb.
Like, on the Ford transit vans you can pick what options you want, and it gives you the choice between vinyl, cloth and leather seats with any options. All cars should come like that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

I really, really like the Century. Its a luxury car that understands that sometimes being understated is so much better than trying to stand out.

In what world is a 5.3 metre long >2 tonne sedan with an enormous chrome grille 'understated'?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

dissss posted:

In what world is a 5.3 metre long >2 tonne sedan with an enormous chrome grille 'understated'?

It looks like a car? I mean, I mean, if you saw one on the street here in America, its not like it would really stand out. It's not like it tries to flaunt things like a Rolls or a Bentley.
The interior is what I was talking about anyways, I mean, It's got fairly plain looking seats and materials covering the sides. It's not coated top to bottom in diamond stitched leather or having every corner crammed full of faux-wood trim.

Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't jump out to me as something that would be a super luxury car:

It looks like another grandpa-mobile like Mercury or Buick.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 25, 2019

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

ExplodingSims posted:

It looks like a car? I mean, I mean, if you saw one on the street here in America, its not like it would really stand out. It's not like it tries to flaunt things like a Rolls or a Bentley.
The interior is what I was talking about anyways, I mean, It's got fairly plain looking seats and materials covering the sides. It's not coated top to bottom in diamond stitched leather or having every corner crammed full of faux-wood trim.

Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't jump out to me as something that would be a super luxury car:

It's "luxury" to a Japanese executive who wants a luxurious vehicle to be chauffeured in, but doesn't want to be seen in a Benz or BMW or Audi because image and :japan:

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

I'm okay with leather but god drat I want cooled seats in my next car real bad.

Not a feature I thought I would appreciate much in mine, but holy poo poo it's been in the 80s (and very low 90 one day) already and it's not even March yet and I love the hell out of my seats just auto cooling themselves when I turn my vehicle on already.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ExplodingSims posted:

The thing that I appreciate the most about the Toyota Century was that until TYOOL 2016 this was the interior:

It's as if somebody decided 1996 was the optimum year for car interior design, and kept it unchanged for twenty years. While I disagree, I liked that an ultra-high-end car such as that has such a gloriously simple and even anachronistic interior.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 25, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love that interior. Wow.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, this is what gets me. They already have the seats, so why can't you pick and choose what you want in the car. Package options are dumb.
Like, on the Ford transit vans you can pick what options you want, and it gives you the choice between vinyl, cloth and leather seats with any options. All cars should come like that.

It’s dumb but standardized option packages are easier for the manufacturer. My 2011 Golf TDI was the last car I bought that had true a la carte options.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CornHolio posted:

The thing that I appreciate the most about the Toyota Century was that until TYOOL 2016 this was the interior:

It's as if somebody decided 1996 was the optimum year for car interior design, and kept it unchanged for twenty years. While I disagree, I liked that an ultra-high-end car such as that has such a gloriously simple and even anachronistic interior.

reminds me of an early 90s Jag

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

I think you mean lace seat covers

I wish I could find some of these for my car... :allears:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Don't let your dreams be dreams

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KillHour posted:

I love wool, but that poo poo would get so dirty in a week. My dog would track mud on it, my girlfriend would spill coffee on it and my nonexistent kids would draw on it with markers. You'd have to line it with plastic tarps like an old person.

You wanna protect it? Wrap it up!

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oooo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:bisonyes:

I'll take it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:swoon:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

CornHolio posted:

Even the new interior doesn't really change all that much:

I like it. It's not really overdone.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CornHolio posted:

This reminds me of my friend’s 1996 Lexus SC 400 with the Nakamichi stereo system.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Even the new interior doesn't really change all that much:

I like it. It's not really overdone.

This puts almost all new cars and their try-hard interiors to shame. Simplicity is a virtue.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Guinness posted:

This puts almost all new cars and their try-hard interiors to shame. Simplicity is a virtue.

Agreed. It's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate it.