Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

Great questions, thanks! She's been at firms her whole career, usually fairly large ones, always defense. She currently does premises liability for a nationwide chain, habitability/landlord tenant, Construction defect, some professional liability.

What are some good legal recruiter services?

I would't know any in the area, but she might get emailed by them a lot at her firm and she could look through those, or just research online to see which work in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

In interviews during law school, I usually asked if they, as a practicing lawyer, recommended any classes that they took, or now wish they took, that proved especially helpful. I can tell you as a litigator business organizations, evidence, bankruptcy, and creditors remedies were all super helpful. And as a government litigator, so was admin law.

I didn't take family law but that's actually relatively easy to pick up from bar review/guide books. I think federal courts/advanced civil procedure stuff is super useful in 3L, after you've clerked/interned a bit and have a better concept of how lawsuits actually work.

How are most of these not already required by law schools? The only ones my Canadian school doesn't require are remedies and bankruptcy, but both of the courses end up taken by everybody.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Newfie posted:

How are most of these not already required by law schools? The only ones my Canadian school doesn't require are remedies and bankruptcy, but both of the courses end up taken by everybody.

Land of the free :911:

Real answer is because ABA accreditation doesn't require it, so schools are free to do as they please

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Amazon has about a billion compliance / general counsel jobs open right now. I think they're in Seattle? A lawgoon just got a job there, I think, and one of my law school friends got a job there about a year ago.

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/job_categories/legal

How do they like it?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Do any students/hopefuls still post here?

Students/hopefuls: stop lurking and post here.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This is not a place for the hopeful

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Vox Nihili posted:

Canadian going into 3L. I passed civ pro with a C+. It was the only class I was worried about passing because I basically learned it in two days. The rest of the year was great and I would have a 3.4 gpa were it not for civ pro. Just glad that I have an articling position for this and next year.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

While I'm sure the demographics of this forum have shifted largely over the 13 years since I joined, I'm curious how many more young people join for games forums content. Some of them would presumably then try to go to law school.

Please, post your lsat scores.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Man my old roommate just had her burger named best in Chicago and I'm wishing I had helped invested in her place now that she's gonna make a ton of money

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

mastershakeman posted:

Man my old roommate just had her burger named best in Chicago and I'm wishing I had helped invested in her place now that she's gonna make a ton of money

Which restaurant?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vox Nihili posted:

I still post here and I'm still technically a student. I get my JD at the end of June.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I'm a student. But only youngish. I'm in the first part of my vocational year (no law school, but just as expensive :downs:)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

calvus posted:

Which restaurant?

Johnnys grill

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Rising 3L here at an east coast non-t14 t1. Judging by the small firm partners I drink the most with i'm probably doing licensing and transactional work for local hospitals once I graduate.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nonexistence posted:

Rising 3L here at an east coast non-t14 t1. Judging by the small firm partners I drink the most with i'm probably doing licensing and transactional work for local hospitals once I graduate.

For the rest of your life.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I hope so. Started out in a small mississippi swamp village so if I never have to go back to shootin possums for food it's been a life well lived.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Rising city mouse

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I will relay some good law stories from attorney friends back home for the benefit of the thread though. Most recently someone I know took a case representing a government employee in a very backwoods county where it's a thinly veiled reality that the klan still controls local politics. Said employee will only speak to her from a pay phone at a remote gas station just over the county line. Their old country courthouse still has a noose hanging in the middle of the courtroom to remember the good old days when you didn't have to wait after a capital conviction :911:

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I used to be a law student poster but then I graduated and now I'm just another soulless first year associate.

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS
Dear law thread,

Should I leave my cushy government job as a white collar crimes prosecutor to fall into the trap of soul sucking commercial litigation? I am currently a golden boy to a new State Attorney-elect but I am in the most politically volatile position in the office. I know this thread will give me the best advice in how to die alone.

Thanks!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Treemeister posted:

Dear law thread,

Should I leave my cushy government job as a white collar crimes prosecutor to fall into the trap of soul sucking commercial litigation? I am currently a golden boy to a new State Attorney-elect but I am in the most politically volatile position in the office. I know this thread will give me the best advice in how to die alone.

Thanks!

Do you have tenure?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I actually went to a court hearing today for a friend and the total and absolute apathy and disinterest by the judge was refreshing to see. It reinforced me not wanting to go to court anymore.

Both sides were admitting there was outstanding discovery and neither side had enough proof for trial, and the judge said well come back in a week with the proof you have. And I'm going what then, are you going to do a fake trial that I can win , or...? I just have to show up with evidence at a status hearing? What the hell

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Treemeister posted:

Dear law thread,

Thanks!

Stay in your position then run for elected office/be a lobbyist and live high off the hog

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It's "high on the hog" in reference to better cuts of pork higher up on the pig. No wonder you lost your job

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

So much for getting a job as a butcher. Maybe you can try one of the lesser trades, like marketing or janitorial work. Or govt work

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Treemeister posted:

Dear law thread,

Thanks!

On the one hand, a cushy job as a prosecutor is basically the best spot to be. On the other hand, if you rise up too high as a prosecutor your job ends up politically vulnerable and a shitshow, depriving you of all the benefits of government work (job security, don't-give-a-gently caress-ness) with none of the advantages of private practice (possible piles of cash). On the third hand, commercial litigation is literally hitler.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It's "high on the hog" in reference to better cuts of pork higher up on the pig. No wonder you lost your job

:drat:

I was thinking deeply today and realized that representing large banks is a rewarding experience that makes me proud every night when I go home.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

mikeraskol posted:

:drat:

I was thinking deeply today and realized that representing large banks is a rewarding experience that makes me proud every night when I go home.

O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Bank of America.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Bank of America.

:golfclap:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

GamingHyena posted:

Nice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Maybe you can try one of the lesser trades, like marketing or janitorial work.

Please apologize to the janitors for this terrible thing you said

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HiddenReplaced posted:

Amazon has about a billion compliance / general counsel jobs open right now. I think they're in Seattle? A lawgoon just got a job there, I think, and one of my law school friends got a job there about a year ago.

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/job_categories/legal

evilweasel posted:

I would't know any in the area, but she might get emailed by them a lot at her firm and she could look through those, or just research online to see which work in the area.

Will do, thanks a bunch!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I even typed on instead of off first and second guessed myself. Time for suicide

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

No msm don't please you have so much to live for...

...like when your rich, plane freaking dad dies and leaves you money.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

GamingHyena posted:

Beautiful.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I was trying to get a classmate of mine who does commercial litigation to explain to me what the hell he really does all day and I left with no idea.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not hopefully but I'm like, a couple of weeks away from being a lawyer.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Tokelau All Star posted:

I was trying to get a classmate of mine who does commercial litigation to explain to me what the hell he really does all day and I left with no idea.

Breach of contract claims?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

A lot of times, its like a divorce, but between anywhere from 2 to 10 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Legal aid just posted a job for a criminal defence attorney in my city.

I really want to apply, since it's what I started law school wanting to do, but my soul-sucking commercial litigation/insurance defence job pays me really well, and I have a mortgage and a child and a wife still in university, and the legal aid job is only for a 1-year term :(

So torn