Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

A very very normal 285 page thread with new tip-offs about wokeness on the regular right up to the present, good good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RPGSite posted:

TSR Hobbies Takes a stand to be pro free speech and anti censorship. This is the new incarnation of TSR headed by Justin La Nasa and Ernie Gygax.

It is to LOL.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Interestingly enough TSR isn't listed on the version of the main list they maintain on GDocs, which was last edited in 2023 after they showed their whole rear end. You'd think they'd be a cinch for the red section for "anti-consumer" behaviour, but no.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Famously apolitical RPGPundit in the green category there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

IIRC it was Mantic and/or Privateer (both?) were leaning hard into the macho no wokeness here stuff a few years back. I saw both being mentioned with language that implied they weren't "woke games yet" during the GW outrage a few weeks ago.
I don't think that's even remotely true. You're half remembering a cringey Privateer marketing that they completely removed back in 2016 and had already back away from a decade ago.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s fair. It could be a case similar to clueless Bud Light boycotters buying other Ambev products where they don’t know or care about what they’re buying as long as it’s not the product they hate.

And what do you mean 2016 wasn’t two years ago

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Is Privateer Press still going? Both of my local stores have those army boxes with the little canisters of magnetizing kits taped to them discounted to the bone and I haven't seen anything new from them in at least a year.

Last time I checked I think they had completely discontinued one of my army ranges (Cryx) and just 100% stopped releasing new stuff for the other(Convergence) so they were already pretty much dead for me.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 13, 2024

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

theironjef posted:

Is Privateer Press still going? Both of my local stores have those army boxes with the little canisters of magnetizing kits taped to them discounted to the bone and I haven't seen anything new from them in at least a year.

Last time I checked I think they had completely discontinued one of my army ranges (Cryx) and just 100% stopped releasing new stuff for the other(Convergence) so they were already pretty much dead for me.

They've put out a fourth edition with some legacy stuff for old models but they can't produce them any more because they had a dispute with their manufacturer in China who used the molds to make dollar store toys, so they had to transition to 3d printing everything so they want to start fresh with new lines, and decided to try to make warjacks a bit more modular in how they worked for the new game while very much simplifying everything else.

I don't think the period where that game was one of the top minis games is ever coming back because that was before the kickstarter FOMO stuff dropped and made for a sea of indie games.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They've gone to an all-digital Warmachine Mk4 and 3d printing their entire stock on a bank of consumer-grade printers. Poorly

Early product was sticky with print lines and uncured resin, though I'm told they've gotten better.

No you can't buy the files and print them better yourself.

They're still around but it's anybody's guess for how long. The fans who are invested are DEEPLY invested.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the entire appeal of Warmahordes was "we're not going to do all the incredibly stupid poo poo that Games Workshop does" and then Games Workshop started doing marginally less stupid poo poo at the exact same time that Privateer Press moved to a codex model for balance updates instead of designing everyone at once and discontinued half your army if you were primarily a Warmachine player and lucky (more like all of it if you were Hordes and/or not lucky)

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

theironjef posted:

Anecdote, but they burnt a lot of good will going from 3rd to 4th edition. Combined ending all support for existing models with new manufacturing that was not ready for launch with having community do the work of editing half-done rules with an aggressively abrasive community manager. I've been out of it for about 2 years, so can't speak more recently than that. My local group jumped ship to 40k.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Perhaps the largest sign that they realized they hosed up and the Tactical game line isn't going to recover is their new version of the Iron Kingdoms RPG just uses 5e rather than their system based on the mechanics that the minis used.

Though I'm not entirely sure how they could recover from having their Chinese distributor steal all their molds.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They also, and this is by no means unique of course, apparently treated their Press Gangers street team very poorly. Most former GW Outriders I know were happy with their time in the company. The Gangers in my experience have nothing good to say.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Well that's a shame. I enjoyed the line during the couple years I was playing it. Got way into Convergence and realizing that they weren't kidding about it being a limited range sorta pushed me over to other games instead.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Warmahordes was really good, i think, because it was trying to be a really tight, competitive, designed game, which is what made it different, it's also what made X-wing work when it was in its heyday, i don't think you're going to out-do games workshop at making pretty models and having a big IP but you can absolutely beat them at game design.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

theironjef posted:

Well that's a shame. I enjoyed the line during the couple years I was playing it. Got way into Convergence and realizing that they weren't kidding about it being a limited range sorta pushed me over to other games instead.

Which they then did again with Infernals and Grymkin.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Different strokes, though. The "Gotta Catch 'Em All" in me appreciated being able to look at my Grymkin and know the range was complete and painted. And I don't mind an army being limited in unit types to the extent that the gaps can give an army mechanical flavor about what its supposed to be good at.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah limited ranges are fine, if anything I'm far more wary of the live service "we will never stop releasing new stuff" model which basically guarantees that you'll run out of design space and have to start doing different formats or something instead of just making a single, complete, well-balanced game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a not-at-all implausible rumor that the Chinese manufacturer kept the molds over a payment dispute with PP.

If anybody has more substantial info there, I'd love to hear it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I thought it was "PP stopped paying them because Chinese manufacturer was using their molds to create a bunch of dollar store toys and the Chinese manufacturer is refusing to give them back because they aren't being paid (And PP rightly believes they won't get them back even if they do pay)"

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
It's muddied, I've heard both versions of it. Part of the difficulty with the aforementioned abrasive community manager is they, IMO, straight up lie to shift blame.

I don't have any info about the molds, but he did post stuff indicating the 4th edition launch was rushed because Line of Sight (popular podcasters and managers of a massive fan database of rules & judge rulings) broke non-disclosure on 4th edition. When people compiled data that all they'd ever done was discuss PP's own press releases, and that if the community manager was correct it meant PP had nothing prepped for GenCon, he refused to discuss anymore citing that it wouldn't be professional.

PharmerBoy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 13, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remember Warmachine fondly so it’s too bad they’ve eaten poo poo lately.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MrDogoDude/status/1789710826124784124?t=xHCsE0wcsHDzsSntUZk9fA&s=19

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I'm not up to date on Magic terminology, is there a difference between "Employees" and "Dogs you control" or is it just semantics?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

I'm not up to date on Magic terminology, is there a difference between "Employees" and "Dogs you control" or is it just semantics?

Employees, and Dogs, are "Creature types" that appear on the line below the image on all cards that are creatures. So, this card is doing one thing that has to do with cards with the Employee type, and doing a different thing that affects cards with either the Employee type or the Dogs type. The default set of magic cards has many Dogs, but I'm not aware of any Employees.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

Employees, and Dogs, are "Creature types" that appear on the line below the image on all cards that are creatures. So, this card is doing one thing that has to do with cards with the Employee type, and doing a different thing that affects cards with either the Employee type or the Dogs type. The default set of magic cards has many Dogs, but I'm not aware of any Employees.
Well yeah she fired them all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Employee is a valid creature type added in Unfinity.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Her planeswalker card creates tokens with the creature type of Employee, and she also buffs Dog creature types (probably a joke about how she loves dogs IRL.)

Keep in mind that promo card is from 2023. Deborah Thomas was CFO for Hasbro from ~1998 to 2022, when she retired. She was not around for the layoffs and she's not the lady who just left for Funko Pops, that's Cynthia Williams.

https://investor.hasbro.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hasbro-announces-cfo-deborah-thomas-will-retire

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

It's really funny that it seems to be comparing employees and dogs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It might also be worth noting that "loyalty counter" is just how Planeswalkers track their "life", it's a templated term. So if you are going to make a person a Planeswalker, language is going to be on their card about loyalty counters, by default. It's not necessarily a comment about like, employee loyalty or something.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's not but someone really should have at least taken a second pass at equating employees and dogs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Nevermind I don't wanna get right back into enough argument about the correct amount to hate companies hah.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 13, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As an inside joke for people who play Magic, it's fine. The optics for anyone who has no idea about Magic templating are less good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's gross and evil in the same way all attempts at company culture or team building are. Not really anything especially bad besides timing and phrasing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's a dumb commemorative card. I could see it being given out at a retirement party, but I'm not seeing any details about how it got into circulation. Looking at the MTG wiki there was another instance of a retirement promo card, but that specifically states the guy was given the cards as a gift:

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Promotional_card#Employee_retirement_cards

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a dumb commemorative card. I could see it being given out at a retirement party, but I'm not seeing any details about how it got into circulation. Looking at the MTG wiki there was another instance of a retirement promo card, but that specifically states the guy was given the cards as a gift:

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Promotional_card#Employee_retirement_cards

The MTG wiki says it was a retirement gift given directly to her. https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Deborah_Thomas

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

According to that page this 'got out into the wild' when someone tried to sell a copy at a gaming store. That made it to reddit which then made it to twitter.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zurai posted:

The MTG wiki says it was a retirement gift given directly to her. https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Deborah_Thomas

That's really funny because the commemorative page uses this website as a citation, and it also mentions that Deb card:

https://www.magiclibrarities.net/973-rarities-special-commemorative-and-recognition-cards-english-cards-index.html

quote:

Another Special Commemorative and Recognition Cards did show up in May 2024. It came in a clear sealed booster and with a regular MTG back.
The card was never distributed. Deborah Thomas had no idea that the card was printed and don't even own one. The artist Kieran Yanner wasn't aware that the image was being made into a card.
No further info for the moment.

So she may or may not have gotten a copy. Maybe it was internally distributed to employees like this other one mentioned on that website?

quote:

Case Kiyonaga was a World champion Legend of the 5 Rings player and an amazing online Magic: The Gathering Player. He was also a Game Designer at Wizards of the Coast from August 2017 till November 2018 (1 year and 4 monthes).
Playdesign member for Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, and War of the Spark plus primary balance designer for the Transformers TCG.
Then he was a Freelance Game Designer from June 2019 till November 2023 (4 years 8 monthes) in Bellevue, Washington, United States.
Design, develop, and maintain fun and pleasing mechanics, rulesets, and card interactions for a variety of CCGsDesign, develop, and maintain fun and pleasing mechanics, rulesets, and card interactions for a variety of CCGs

To commemorate his unexpected passing on November 10, 2023, a Magic: The Gathering card was created: Case Kiyonaga, Panda Champion.
CYK at the bottom left is his initials (Case Yukio Kiyonaga. 250 were printed.The back has family information.
No further info for the moment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If you're quiet and don't bother them then the fascists and nazis will leave you alone and go away. They only bother noisy, irritating minorities, so really it's your fault if they come after you. Corporations being all "Women exist" make it harder for the good, quiet, well-behaved minorities because how are you supposed to be one of the good ones if other people are being noisy about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
[secretly unclear what is going on]

Yeah! Get their rear end!