Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Awesome! posted:

i wonder if there are steam reviews calling monster train "abandoned" or a "dead game"

Surprisingly, I didn't see any, just a few that complained about it being 'too random' or 'too dependent on specific combos'. Plus one that said, simply, 'I don't like it'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

HopperUK posted:

This is absolutely Supergiant's thing though. Like, every game they've done is 'pretty good to great gameplay, *excellent* story/characters/aesthetic'. It's absolutely perfect for me but anyone who doesn't care about that stuff needs to stay completely away.

I figured I should try it since it was so universally acclaimed and shares a lot of DNA with games I really enjoy, Supergiant seems to have an amazing talent for making games which look and sound great but somehow lack the element which makes me want to keep playing them after the first few hours. Bastion was exactly the same.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

RabidWeasel posted:

I figured I should try it since it was so universally acclaimed and shares a lot of DNA with games I really enjoy, Supergiant seems to have an amazing talent for making games which look and sound great but somehow lack the element which makes me want to keep playing them after the first few hours. Bastion was exactly the same.

I have whatever condition you have as well, though I haven't played Hades yet. The other three games I've played from them follow that same trajectory though, where I get a few hours in and then lose all desire to play more.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, Hades is miles better than their previous stuff (Pyre set a low bar tbqh). I really enjoyed Bastion back in the day, and decided to replay it for nostalgia's sake but couldn't get very far, was a serious step down. Hades has it's 'overwhelming positive' thing on Steam for a reason, it's very polished and appeals to a wide rage of people. You'll know if you'd like it long before Steam's 2 hour demo period is up, pretty much as soon as you get your first death.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I only played 80 minutes of Cult of the Lamb, and my impressions is ... that is a good game. Cool concept and theme, polished, great visual style. Good game, not great, mind you. I think the reasons some people are loving it (instead of liking it) is fairly simple : it has lots of progression bars! Both explicit and implicit. You level up your followers, you level up yourself with faith, you level up your base and get new buildings, you accumulate more resources, you increase the total amount of followers, etc, etc.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I ended up refunding it but will probably buy it in 2 years when it hits bargin bin or something. Definitely don't think it's like a trash game or anything but I feel like the devs were split between wanting to make a cult simulator and a hades clone and kind of made a mediocre version of both. I like the concept alot though, I just wish it was a bit better.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2100010/Breakthrough/ Hopeful hopes for this one on the action'ish front as generally singular vision efforts remain a rarity still---even with Isaac, Gungeon, etc towering so boldly folks still keep endeavoring Beyond.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Why did they change/remove so many things from dungeon crawl stone soup? wtf

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Prism posted:

Plus one that said, simply, 'I don't like it'.

Probably annoying if you're the developer but imo that's fine for user reviews :v: There's some extremely polished games that just don't feel good to play imo, like I've played like 4 hours of Enter the Gungeon but would probably need to play at least another 8 to accurately articulate why I hate playing it beyond "I don't like it."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just want more Monster Train. :saddowns:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of good rear end games that suffer because of their metaprogression. I picked up Dead Cells again and got hooked on it again because there's so much interesting content in there but I'm having some problems at BC2, the lack of full flask refills is really hurting me.
Anyone got any advice besides "don't get hit lol"?

A few good points raised already, here are a few more: if what's getting you is attrition from one or two occasional hits but you can parry most enemies 90% of the time, going survival with the heal-on-parry mutation will keep you topped up pretty well. If it's more about tough enemy clusterings that drop you from full to dead, remember to use your powers/grenades there and also consider trying some crossbow runs - the heavy crossbow will one-shot drat near anything, explosive with good modifiers will do the same for a slightly smaller range of stuff.

Also, if you've been playing for a while and have unlocked a ton of garbage you hate using, remember that custom games exist and don't lock you out of anything as long as you've got 20+ total items enabled for the drop pool. I absolutely would not have been able to get my BC5 win with every weapon in the game unlocked, no chance.

edit: I was about to add the thing about making sure you only invest in a single backup stat for legendary scaling instead of spreading for more health, but then I remembered the legendary revamp is in now. I still need to check that out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I just want more Monster Train. :saddowns:

My brother of the covenant, same.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Orc Priest posted:

Why did they change/remove so many things from dungeon crawl stone soup? wtf

username post combo

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DCSS is trailblazing RaaS (Roguelikes as a Service).

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Have you heard about the new hotness? They call it "metaregression."

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I ended up refunding it but will probably buy it in 2 years when it hits bargin bin or something. Definitely don't think it's like a trash game or anything but I feel like the devs were split between wanting to make a cult simulator and a hades clone and kind of made a mediocre version of both. I like the concept alot though, I just wish it was a bit better.

drat it yeah. Just beat the world 2 boss, but I have every single thing at the cult unlocked which has killed my will to play. I cant spend enough time dungeoning that I want and I want way more progression for the cult and weapons/curses so I dont max it out halfway through the game.

It feels early access without saying it. But I do adore the vibe and general feel, there's just not enough

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 13, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Real answer though is that the dcss dev team has just been veering towards a hardline minimalism where any mechanic or feature they deem abusable, redundant, or uninteresting goes the way of the dodo eventually. Sometimes they replace it with something new and exciting, sometimes they don't, and there's been a lot of arguing about it. Eventually goons made their own fork, Gooncrawl, that re-added some of the more beloved cut stuff while putting in new content (more info in the crawl thread here) but it doesn't look like it's being maintained anymore; it possibly got too hard to keep up with an increasingly divergent upstream.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Have you heard about the new hotness? They call it "metaregression."

there is a game like this, I can't remember the name, you start out as the full power hero and each level you get weaker

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

victrix posted:

there is a game like this, I can't remember the name, you start out as the full power hero and each level you get weaker

Wouldn't that be normal regression?

Metaregression would be something that make you weaker at the start of each subsequent run.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

victrix posted:

Hero must die again?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I feel like sometimes games with item pool based metaprogression like Binding of Isaac can be this, although it's been mitigated a little bit since they introduced item quality as a mechanic. The more you unlock, the more crappy items there are in the pool, and the less odds you get your really good items such as 20/20, magic mushroom, ipecac, and so on.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

huh no interesting, I want to say it was more lofi, but it's something I saw in passing went "sounds neat I guess" and didn't touch

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Wouldn't that be normal regression?

Metaregression would be something that make you weaker at the start of each subsequent run.

but you regress as you progress through the game, so it's actually just ession

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

victrix posted:

huh no interesting, I want to say it was more lofi, but it's something I saw in passing went "sounds neat I guess" and didn't touch
A Quest Too Far

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

but you regress as you progress through the game, so it's actually just ession

I regress with each passing day in this mortal coil so metaregression is just built in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A Strange Aeon posted:

I have whatever condition you have as well, though I haven't played Hades yet. The other three games I've played from them follow that same trajectory though, where I get a few hours in and then lose all desire to play more.

Same. I wanted to like Hades but once I got far enough in to kinda grok how grindy Titan's Blood and upgrading weapons so that they're actually fun and/or usable would be I just immediately noped out. All desire gone.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

drat it yeah. Just beat the world 2 boss, but I have every single thing at the cult unlocked which has killed my will to play. I cant spend enough time dungeoning that I want and I want way more progression for the cult and weapons/curses so I dont max it out halfway through the game.

It feels early access without saying it. But I do adore the vibe and general feel, there's just not enough

This is interesting. I'm halfway through the 3rd world and I still have over half of the tech tree to unlock. I feel like I'd have to sit at home for a long time to accrue enough resources to unlock everything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SettingSun posted:

This is interesting. I'm halfway through the 3rd world and I still have over half of the tech tree to unlock. I feel like I'd have to sit at home for a long time to accrue enough resources to unlock everything.

Ditto on this. You'd need to be sitting around waiting WAY more than is sensible to have literally everything unlocked by time you're done with boss 2.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah the game basically expects you to go out into a dungeon around once per day, maybe once in a while skipping to go fish or something

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If it's really close to night I'll let the day tick over so I can perform the daily tasks before I crusade but otherwise I can't say I ever hung out in the enclave for an entire day.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Seems like I'm getting bugs in Cult that make it so I can't assign someone to the Healing Bay and my lumberyard and stone mine don't do anything. Just restarted but nothing. Can't really get enough lumber.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah full disclosure there are definitely a bunch of weird goofy bugs still hanging around but I haven't run into any (the one I thought was one earlier was just my lumber yard expiring) personally. I kinda solved my lumber problem by building 3 lumber yards, and always taking the double resources tarot card.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I also can't send out missionaries now. That was going to help with the lumber that I'm not getting. This isn't going well now...

E: Hmm now the healing and missionary is working without me doing anything. Are there in game requirements that just hadn't triggered? I had used them before at some point. No mine or lumber activity though.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 13, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RabidWeasel posted:

Agreed. I liked everything about Hades except playing it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

KingKapalone posted:

E: Hmm now the healing and missionary is working without me doing anything. Are there in game requirements that just hadn't triggered? I had used them before at some point. No mine or lumber activity though.
fwiw the first time I tried to use the healing building I didn't realize that you need 15 of the red flowers per heal(10 for the upgraded version) and if you don't have enough it doesn't really tell you why

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2100010/Breakthrough/ Hopeful hopes for this one on the action'ish front as generally singular vision efforts remain a rarity still---even with Isaac, Gungeon, etc towering so boldly folks still keep endeavoring Beyond.

poo poo, I'll bite for $6. Always kind of a thrill buying a game with zero reviews too

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Burt Gherkin posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the thread btw. What's the consensus on lamb? Worth buying? I still haven't played hades. Just reluctant for some reason.

I like it a ton, but I also don’t mind that it’s sort of a lite version of two genres stuck together (in a way where they feed off one another well).

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Captain Oblivious posted:

upgrading weapons so that they're actually fun and/or usable

:confused:

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Agreed. I liked everything about Hades except playing it.

If Hades had a "both you and enemies die 50% faster" option I would probably still be playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

GetDunked posted:

Real answer though is that the dcss dev team has just been veering towards a hardline minimalism where any mechanic or feature they deem abusable, redundant, or uninteresting goes the way of the dodo eventually. Sometimes they replace it with something new and exciting, sometimes they don't, and there's been a lot of arguing about it. Eventually goons made their own fork, Gooncrawl, that re-added some of the more beloved cut stuff while putting in new content (more info in the crawl thread here) but it doesn't look like it's being maintained anymore; it possibly got too hard to keep up with an increasingly divergent upstream.

No, Gooncrawl was being maintained by one person and they decided it was in a good spot and they were busy, so it was shelved. I’m trying to learn how to do all that work to merge some changes and make some updates because it’s been a few years, but this has been an extraordinarily busy year.

Which is to say, Gooncrawl is great and can be played on webtiles, everyone should go splat some disciples of Beogh today!