Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I was posting and driving.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

Skippy Granola posted:

I was posting and driving.

Claus would be ashamed.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 10, 2022

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Hey Alberta weedlords, the AB government has a survey about how they should implement pot legalization when it happens.
https://www.alberta.ca/cannabis-legalization.aspx

A big part of the survey is whether to sell from government or private retail stores, and while I'm all for nationalizing everything forever, this province does have a history of electing PCs who turn government stores into private de-facto monopolies for their rich friends (see Liquor Depot).

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Mr. Bill posted:

Claus would be ashamed.

He was busy holding my beer at the time

Square Peg posted:

Hey Alberta weedlords, the AB government has a survey about how they should implement pot legalization when it happens.

A big part of the survey is whether to sell from government or private retail stores, and while I'm all for nationalizing everything forever, this province does have a history of electing PCs who turn government stores into private de-facto monopolies for their rich friends (see Liquor Depot).

Nationalizing it wouldn't work - Albertans are too dumb to pronounce dépanneur

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If the Alberta PCs win the next election they will build Albertas only pot store in the middle of an oil sand poo poo pond to keep it away from the children

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Fried Watermelon posted:

With minimum wage increasing the complaints aren't based on economics. The outrage exists mainly because people want other people to earn less than them so they can feel better about themselves. A large swathe of people get their value of self out of how much better off they are than other people.

People may say it's because the economy will go to ruin, but the real reason is they want certain people to be poorer than them.

This post is from a few pages back but it gives me a reason to share this gem from the beaverton

quote:

But if we raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, how will I know that I’m better than my fellow man?

By: Dave Heder, construction worker

This week Ontario premier Kathleen Wynne announced a plan to raise the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour by 2019. Already a lot of people have written that the move is nothing but a crass political maneuver as well as a declaration of war against small businesses. But I want to point out another aspect of what makes Dictator Wynne’s announcement so dangerous: it means that people like me who currently make $15.00 an hour can no longer look down on minimum wage earners.

As a junior construction worker I don’t make a lot of money. But I make more than those burger flipping barista hipsters me and my friends laugh at. And that is how I know that I am valued more by an unfailingly cruel society that pits the 99% against each other so that the 1% can continue to make absurd amounts of money.

But under Frau Wynne’s plan, that burger flipper makes as much as I do! And rather than demand more money for myself or simply consider whether we are both mere cogs in an economic machine that is nearly as cruel as it is indifferent to us I have decided to voice my outrage. Not at my employer or manager, but at my true enemy: fellow underpaid workers.

At the end of the day I am a simple guy. I like beers with friends, $2 wing night, and the knowledge that there are people in our province whose economic standing is lower than mine. Is that too much to ask?

The fact is I need there to be people who earn less than me. Now that PC culture won’t let me rank people based on race or gender, income is the only thing I have left!

So before you Liberal elites go running around praising Il Duce Wynne’s decision, consider this: Would you be happy knowing the guy asking if you want fries with that makes the same amount of money as you? Or are you too so fundamentally unable to look outside the parameters of our capitalist regime that your gut reaction is to label that unfair and write a Facebook post about it?

That’s what I thought. Now if you excuse me, I have to work some unpaid overtime so my boss will see I have “initiative” and then run to my side hustle as an Uber Driver where I actually make less than the minimum wage because the “sharing economy” has created a nightmarish set of circumstances where employment regulations no longer protect the work force.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Saw that shared on my facebook feed, and of course the first reply was this hot take

"They raise minimum wage to 15$ hr then everything will go up in price. Groceries, restaurants, gas and all commodities will be more. If you want a higher wage, train in a higher paying job. Instead of going for the manager position at wall mart where they make max 20$ hr try a trade where you start at 15 and go from there."

Of course buddy works at 'Self-employed' jfc

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hahaha my brother is so mad about the minimum wage thing. He is actually the guy from the beaverton article and it's great.

I think there's likely going to be increased costs but ehhhh paying more for some things so that people can have a decent wage is not a huge deal to me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also once on Rogers Pass we got stuck behind a truck with Saskatchewan plates that would do 120 along every straighaway, then as soon as he hit a corner he would slam on his brakes and take it at literally 30. The first few times we thought he was just being a dick, but after like ten minutes of this we were like "holy poo poo he's just this bad at driving".

And of course because his truck was way more powerful than the lovely old Prius we had a hell of a time passing him, since you can't exactly pass people in the corners on Rogers Pass, and as soon as it would get remotely straight again he would jump on the gas and we wouldn't be able to pass.

Worst loving driving I have ever seen.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 9, 2022

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Hahaha my brother is so mad about the minimum wage thing. He is actually the guy from the beaverton article and it's great.

I think there's likely going to be increased costs but ehhhh paying more for some things so that people can have a decent wage is not a huge deal to me.

Also if paying slightly more for everyday goods is enough to break the bank for you, that's really just evidence that minimum wage should go up even MORE, because nobody should be making an amount that puts them on the razor's edge of not being able to afford groceries.

But people are stupid and aren't able to recognize that they're getting screwed so long as other people are getting screwed more.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Literally consumable good and service in the entire country is produced from top to bottom by people already making minimum wage in Canada, so of course everything will get more expensive that's just how it works.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just lit up some guy on fb about this lol

"if you can't get a high paying job then you shouldn't live in Vancouver"

who the gently caress is going to serve me coffee if all the low-income people move to loving Hope?

what's going to happen to the housing market in Hope when all the poors move there?

why haven't you killed yourself yet?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Frankly if you're not driving 50 minutes out of town to a coffee shop for your morning joe are you truly living an affluent lifestyle?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm sorry but, my god! :zizek:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EvilJoven posted:

No actually the obscure speed limits and red light cameras actually don't help with safety because people are so busy focusing on their speedometer and trying to spot the speed limit signs that they aren't paying as much attention to their actual driving. They also end up having to stop and start at intersections a lot more, increasing the risk of collisions, because traffic gets all stop and go because the lights are timed for 60 or 70 in some sections and everyone's doing 50 because they didn't see the single speed limit change sign that's hidden by a tree.

This city needs better signage, speed limits that make sense on the main thoroughfares and lower speed limits on residential side streets.

And speed bumps. I love speed bumps. As long as the city makes the effort to paint them orange so they don't blend in.

You're on the right track with speed bumps. Only better physical design and barriers will do the trick. Signage and speed limits will still leave us with dead bodies.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Drunk Canuck posted:

Frankly if you're not driving 50 minutes out of town to a coffee shop for your morning joe are you truly living an affluent lifestyle?

More like: all those people who can't be tech lords should drive in from the suburbs to serve me coffee at minimum wage, and by the way, Vancouver? It's the Greenest City.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you live in Vancouver it's impressive that you can afford to have someone else make you a cup of coffee.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I made the extremely responsible life choice of having white, anglo-saxon, well-educated, public-sector unionized parents. Furthermore i was very smart in my essentially random choice as a child to be interested in computers, so:

Stay outta high cost of living cities, poors! What’s that? You’re gay, visible minority, or a woman? Don’t give a gently caress! Stay outta my pristine yuppie oasis.

What’s that? The once cheap suburb you moved to has a housing shortage because of the mass exodus of poors? MOVE FURTHER AWAY BITCH!

MOVE CONTINUOUSLY!
NEVER GAIN ANY ATTACHMENT TO A COMMUNITY!
BECOME A 100% EFFICIENT ECONOMIC UNIT!

WE'RE GONNA CHASE YOU POORS AROUND THE WORLD, AROUND AND AROUND UNTIL THE loving SUN EXPLODES :circlefap:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 3, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 26, 2018

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Square Peg posted:

Nice try, copper.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

I'm sorry but, my god! :zizek:

Everyday I am posting garbage. *rubs nose excessively*

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I already am eating from the trash can all the time. The name of this trash can is canpol.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

THC posted:

I made the extremely responsible life choice of having white, anglo-saxon, well-educated, public-sector unionized parents. Furthermore i was very smart in my essentially random choice as a child to be interested in computers, so:

Stay outta high cost of living cities, poors! What’s that? You’re gay, visible minority, or a woman? Don’t give a gently caress! Stay outta my pristine yuppie oasis.

What’s that? The once cheap suburb you moved to has a housing shortage because of the mass exodus of poors? MOVE FURTHER AWAY BITCH!

MOVE CONTINUOUSLY!
NEVER GAIN ANY ATTACHMENT TO A COMMUNITY!
BECOME A 100% EFFICIENT ECONOMIC UNIT!

WE'RE GONNA CHASE YOU POORS AROUND THE WORLD, AROUND AND AROUND UNTIL THE loving SUN EXPLODES :circlefap:

I also like the implication of "don't move to the city if you can't afford it" that nobody is ever just like... BORN in a city and maybe have lived there their entire life. Babies just kind of congeal in rural areas and migrate towards cities, that's how it works, right?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Stickarts posted:

I already am eating from the trash can all the time. The name of this trash can is canpol.

TrashCanPol Megathread: I am already eating from the dumpster because housing is too expensive *sniff*

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Was watching the Jays game while drinking an Alexander Keith's.

Feels good to be Canadian.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yessss! Yesssss! :getin:

"Bernier Camp Casts Doubt On Conservative Leadership Vote"

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...&service=mobile

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BGrifter posted:

Yessss! Yesssss! :getin:

"Bernier Camp Casts Doubt On Conservative Leadership Vote"

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...&service=mobile

https://twitter.com/BobRae48/status/868617783029846016

:thurman:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Good on ya Max, drive the SoCons into the loving ocean, and follow them up with everyone who supports supply management.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Good on ya Max, drive the SoCons into the loving ocean, and follow them up with everyone who supports supply management.

Doesnt Bernier represent the racist half of the party though?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Alberta hissy fit train has no brakes

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/braid-in-pipeline-dispute-alberta-has-ways-to-get-tough-with-b-c

quote:

OK, let’s do it.

The first step would be to stop shipments through the existing Kinder Morgan pipeline to the B.C. Interior and Lower Mainland.

Almost 90 per cent of the fuel for Vancouver and the southern coast comes out of that pipeline, either as gasoline or crude to be refined.

Kinder Morgan is also a major supplier of gasoline to Kamloops and the wider interior. In a separate operation, the company pipes jet fuel to Vancouver Airport.

Imagine the progress if all that was cut off — car-free streets, silent skies, parked transport trucks, happy strolls to pick up the kids and the groceries. Such a blessing!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Furnaceface posted:

Only half is racist?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Stickarts posted:

I already am drinking from the trash can all the time. The name of this craft brew is canpol.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

That sounds fuckin awesome, I hope they do it

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hm I think you'll find the conservative party is one for serious adults , who like fiscal responsibility and cutting of wasteful government excess, not racists..

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Only half is racist?

Half is outwardly racist. The other half keeps it to themselves while they vote to remove funding for a playground in a minority neighbourhood.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Think of the traffic playgrounds create... Nimby sir

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The other half is very concerned about how those drat poor people with their rap ringtones and their hoodies are spending their welfare checks. But if you read race into that you're the real racist because they never said anything about race.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

I don't think so, offhand. That was more the Leitch segment, and I'm guessing of the two, a bunch of reactionary racist bastards were more likely to prefer the white Christian so-con compared to the libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The cool thing about visiting Toronto after living overseas is getting people to serenade you about the virtues of Jordan Peterson. What those virtues are, I'm not quite clear about, but apparently bill C-16 is "the thin edge of the wedge" of fascism or something.