Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Baronjutter posted:

Does unlocking all the slots gently caress up the AI at all? Like do you find planets with 10 pops and 32 understaffed buildings or is the AI at least smart enough to only build based on free workers?

It seems to work for me, but I never looked at it in detail now that you mention it.

Regardless should be an easy fix to make the slots exclusive to the player, if you are really concerned I'll make a modified version of the mod.

e: Actually it's not that easy because it has to be added by an event to prevent the AI from getting it, try it without it first if you can? Or maybe someone who's better at modding can do it.

From what I understand of the (at least of 2.7.2) AI building logic it shouldn't build a ton of understaffed buildings though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm doing synth ascension for the first time ever and it's ok, but man I wish there were more portraits. I've never downloaded portraits off the workshop because for some reason stellaris seems set up to not just let you easily add more portrait sets, it ends up being a mod that touches species defines and all sorts of stuff. I was hoping for a mod that let me be synths but still look human?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm doing synth ascension for the first time ever and it's ok, but man I wish there were more portraits. I've never downloaded portraits off the workshop because for some reason stellaris seems set up to not just let you easily add more portrait sets, it ends up being a mod that touches species defines and all sorts of stuff. I was hoping for a mod that let me be synths but still look human?

Maybe you could just replace the graphics files for one of the vanilla portraits? It should in theory work.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Baronjutter posted:

More than one DLC is just .jpg's, so I think you answered your own implied question there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

effect = { modify_species = { portrait = portnamehere } }

that'll set your primary species portrait to any in the game. I just typed "human" in and it worked fine.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
If you get one of the old-style precursors (Irassians, Cybrex, etc), can you also get one of the archaeology-style precursors? Or should I keep restarting until I get the Zeros?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

prefect posted:

If you get one of the old-style precursors (Irassians, Cybrex, etc), can you also get one of the archaeology-style precursors? Or should I keep restarting until I get the Zeros?

Nope, one or the other.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

prefect posted:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Nope, one or the other.

I dunno if it's the mods I'm using, but I was totally able to get both. :shrug:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

jng2058 posted:

I dunno if it's the mods I'm using, but I was totally able to get both. :shrug:

It is a mod. I think it was possible to steal the Zroni dig sites before the patch, but they fixed that iirc.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If you're using Decadence of Sanity (which you should be: it's real good) the Zroni artifact is almost necessary in getting anywhere Shroud-wise.

Moreover, with Gigastructures (Neutronium Gigaforge and later the Nidavellir Hyperforge, plus: you can put a SUCC on Uranus) the Cybrex artifact goes from "sickeningly OP" to merely "extremely useful", IMO?

Now I just wish that when I extinct a civilization I could also steal their artifacts.

E: :laffo: they uncapped the limit on Hyperforge construction...

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 22, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

If you're using Decadence of Sanity (which you should be: it's real good) the Zroni artifact is almost necessary in getting anywhere Shroud-wise.

Moreover, with Gigastructures (Neutronium Gigaforge and later the Nidavellir Hyperforge, plus: you can put a SUCC on Uranus) the Cybrex artifact goes from "sickeningly OP" to merely "extremely useful", IMO?

Now I just wish that when I extinct a civilization I could also steal their artifacts.

I believe Guilli's (an absolutely necessary mod, imo) adds a CB to do exactly that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Yami Fenrir posted:

I believe Guilli's (an absolutely necessary mod, imo) adds a CB to do exactly that.

It does but if you're FP you can't actually call that CB (and you don't auto-inherit them as a result of Total War against them which is really :confused: to me?)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

It does but if you're FP you can't actually call that CB (and you don't auto-inherit them as a result of Total War against them which is really :confused: to me?)

I believe there's a small chance that you can get them when you kill off an empire.

No idea why it's only that, though...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It looks like Living Star Systems got modernized!

Civilian traffic and interspace billboards :hellyeah:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I use a mod that lets me pick my precursor because the alternative is to keep rerolling games until I get what I want anyways so just cut out the middleman.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

And Tyler Too! posted:

I use a mod that lets me pick my precursor because the alternative is to keep rerolling games until I get what I want anyways so just cut out the middleman.

:same:

In fact, this game I just started I picked Zroni and lucked-into being placed in the Cybrex area of the galaxy!

:woop:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
With 2.8.1 out anyone want to throw out some recommendations for their favorite mods?

We are looking at starting a 3 player coop game. None of us really know poo poo about the current state of the game (last time most of us played was Utopia release), so we probably don't need any huge re-balance mods that keep the game fresh for people with 2k+ hours. The biggest things we have heard of are unfucking the AI and mods that help with micromanaging stuff.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Captain Beans posted:

With 2.8.1 out anyone want to throw out some recommendations for their favorite mods?

We are looking at starting a 3 player coop game. None of us really know poo poo about the current state of the game (last time most of us played was Utopia release), so we probably don't need any huge re-balance mods that keep the game fresh for people with 2k+ hours. The biggest things we have heard of are unfucking the AI and mods that help with micromanaging stuff.

Guilli's Planet Modifiers, Gigastructural Engineering, Upgradable Refineries and the Ancient Caches of Technology mods are the ones I like the most. You also can't go wrong with the More Events/More dig sites mods.

As well as one to have automatic exploring at the start, because I can't be arsed. :shrug:

Anyway, these things add a LOT to the game but honestly even these games the mid-game period can get boring as hell.

Might also be worth looking into a mod that gives you more federation types.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Schadenboner posted:

E: :laffo: they uncapped the limit on Hyperforge construction...

It only makes the Cybrex artifact better; being able to kickstart your gigastructure building long before anyone else can means that you can get your hands on the massive amounts of resources they produce and snowball out of control that much faster. Once you're at the point where the only limiting factor on building any gigastructure you desire is influence, you've not only won, but nobody else even remotely stands a chance.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Big warning if you use the Gigastructures mod:

Last week the author patched in a new mid-game crisis, "The Katzenartig Imperium", which is basically an excuse to patch in The Kaiser, But With A Death Star. Which would be amusing except that (a) it quickly snowballs to take over an entire galaxy and (b) its mechanic of demanding territory is broken; you can't refuse it, so it can pretty much vacuum up your systems at will even when not at war.

So basically it's extremely broken and needs to be disabled in the config menu on game startup. This is what it looked like in my game 5 years or so after spawning and immediately rolling over the Great Khan (which spawned about the same time) and 3 other large neighbors (I'm CoM)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm playing life seeded for the first time and it's a new challenge. I had some great planets near me, but of course 0% habitability. I finally got droids and started to colonize, I thought it would be cool to have fully non-populated mining and farming worlds. I don't know if its a base game bug or Carrying Capacity mod but I have near-normal population growth on these planets, just with a -50% penalty due to the 0% habitability. Now I have very upset very expensive pops clogging up the planet and it feels very wrong.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Beans posted:

UI Overhaul Dynamic, Tiny Outliner, the UI Overhaul Dynamic - Tiny Outliner compat mod, and I also personally recommend UI Overhaul Dynamic - Extended Topbar for making the UI work better.

As well as what Yami Fenrir said, you very likely would want Carrying Capacity, Automatic Pop Migration and Glavius' Ultimate AI, maybe Tweaked Community, maybe Spacedock: Adapative AI Ship Design, maybe More AI Personalities. There's other tweak mods that fit the 'make things work better without touching general game content' but it gets into dealing with more specific cases from there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lum_ posted:

Big warning if you use the Gigastructures mod:

Last week the author patched in a new mid-game crisis, "The Katzenartig Imperium", which is basically an excuse to patch in The Kaiser, But With A Death Star. Which would be amusing except that (a) it quickly snowballs to take over an entire galaxy and (b) its mechanic of demanding territory is broken; you can't refuse it, so it can pretty much vacuum up your systems at will even when not at war.

So basically it's extremely broken and needs to be disabled in the config menu on game startup. This is what it looked like in my game 5 years or so after spawning and immediately rolling over the Great Khan (which spawned about the same time) and 3 other large neighbors (I'm CoM)

Sounds like something that should be in a mod of its own rather than being part of Gigastructures.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Gort posted:

Sounds like something that should be in a mod of its own rather than being part of Gigastructures.

I think they also added a new crisis to giga structures with the last update.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Ah, good old mod feature creep.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

TBF, if any mod needs a crisis it's gigastructures. If you heavily lean into it you'll need a crisis that makes the vanilla crisis seem like a midgame crisis :v:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm playing life seeded for the first time and it's a new challenge. I had some great planets near me, but of course 0% habitability. I finally got droids and started to colonize, I thought it would be cool to have fully non-populated mining and farming worlds. I don't know if its a base game bug or Carrying Capacity mod but I have near-normal population growth on these planets, just with a -50% penalty due to the 0% habitability. Now I have very upset very expensive pops clogging up the planet and it feels very wrong.

I don't think you should have population growth for species not present on the planet? As in if you colonize with robot colony ship you shouldn't have normal pops, but if you have at least one they'll grow. And they can also migrate. Maybe try moving them off the planet and see if it fixes it.

IDK if that's the problem but I don't think it's related to the mod, all it does is add a dynamic multiplier to population growth based on existing pop and capacity. Could be wrong though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm fairly sure that's related to migration. I know that I've played base void dwellers before, sent a different species to a Relic World and then my Void Dwellers decided they REALLY want to live on a planet.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm playing as the Necroids and I've not done an evil run before. I've invaded two primitive worlds (this is how they expand) and they're both sitting at 0% stability. I've tried building holotheatres, declaring martial law and landing troops, but they won't budge off 0% and there are slave uprising warning messages.

Any other ways to keep order in the early game?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm playing as the Necroids and I've not done an evil run before. I've invaded two primitive worlds (this is how they expand) and they're both sitting at 0% stability. I've tried building holotheatres, declaring martial law and landing troops, but they won't budge off 0% and there are slave uprising warning messages.

Any other ways to keep order in the early game?

You need to resettle some of your founder pops onto the planet to take over the ruler jobs especially. That stability issue is caused by the political weight of the pops, which are all unhappy because you conquered them.

Having your own, happy pops there balances that out.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Yami Fenrir posted:

You need to resettle some of your founder pops onto the planet to take over the ruler jobs especially. That stability issue is caused by the political weight of the pops, which are all unhappy because you conquered them.

Having your own, happy pops there balances that out.

Ah thanks!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GunnerJ posted:

Ah, good old mod feature creep.
Yeah this is why I hate relying on mods to make a game good.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah this is why I hate relying on mods to make a game good.

Unfortunately, base Stellaris feels next to unplayable after you experienced a few mods. Hell, midgame still IS basically unplayable.

You essentially sit there just afking waiting for numbers to go up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yami Fenrir posted:

Unfortunately, base Stellaris feels next to unplayable after you experienced a few mods. Hell, midgame still IS basically unplayable.

You essentially sit there just afking waiting for numbers to go up.
Yup. I'm still loosely following the game because I want to like it and some of the recent dev diaries show promise. However I won't be reinstalling or giving PDX another Stellaris-related penny unless they continue to address core game issues.

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
I really hate having to invade, it's a pain having to bring transports around. Are there mods that do anything about that? It's such an incredible chore. All I want to do is just take over all of my enemy's systems and win the war.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

hulk hooligan posted:

I really hate having to invade, it's a pain having to bring transports around. Are there mods that do anything about that? It's such an incredible chore. All I want to do is just take over all of my enemy's systems and win the war.

I mean putting it on aggressive would fix a lot of it.

But they reintroduced the bug where it constantly resets itself to passive.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I don't think my Universal Resource Patch is working right. I'm only seeing 1 new resource when I should have loads of new ones.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's a mod that allows you to make Assault Transports, which are military ships with built-in invasion armies. It's been rolled into NSC2, or you can get it separately.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Why are separate transports a thing, aaaa

Sword of the stars, a 20 year old game made by 10 people:
I park fleet around planet, glass it, colonize, move sliders once

Stellaris, a 4 year old game made by 100 people:
Park fleet around planet, micro transports (create, transfer, and attach to fleet), land troops, boring combat, order transports back into space, deal with pop and planet stuff for 5 minutes, stop playing campaign due to pop micro and tick lag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Sword of the Stars isn't exactly a stellar example since you HAD to colonize the planet to keep the AI from just immediately doing so the second your fleet left and there was no way to prevent it other than putting your own citizens there.