Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Zzr posted:

What does their crytek team does now ? Cause if I followed well, they took cryengine at first, then stimperized it into starengine, then ditched it for lumberyard, but this one is worked on by amazon. Does the crytek team tweaks it and will have problems each time amazon upgrade lumberyad, or are they just out of work ?

I don't think there's one StarEngine, there's just different forks for the PU, Hangar, Star Marine and that uh Social module. Oh, also SQ42, unless they ditched that one.

Which of them are (is?) still getting updated is an open question, trying to hack LumberEngine features into playing nice with the Stimpire Sim won't be much help I think

My guess is, of the engine developers, 20% stick to doing xml hacks, 15% are doing lovely code that another 25% are trying to revert/fix and the rest are furiously working on their resumés

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
To be fair changing to Lumberyard did mean that they put a new Lumberyard logo on the loading screens, so in that respect it brought about the biggest change to the game since 2013

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

that broken helmet has more polys in it than most character models lol

It's for the pre-rendered scene when #character is suddenly snatched away while wearing the explorer suit.

I'm guessing while exploring and coming across something that they weren't supposed to.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

It's for the pre-rendered scene when #character is suddenly snatched away while wearing the explorer suit.

I'm guessing while exploring and coming across something that they weren't supposed to.

It's actually for the pre rendered cafeteria scene where a commando drops a bowl of Big Bennies on a helmet by accident, causing hilarity and a bit of comic relief in the harsh reality of space and space

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

It's actually for the pre rendered cafeteria scene where a commando drops a bowl of Big Bennies on a helmet by accident, causing hilarity and a bit of comic relief in the harsh reality of space and space

"That's so Eckhart!"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
"MoMA Told Me"
Will you have LTI with your Aegis?
Or a collar with your Cutlass?
What are these crazy questions
That they're asking of me
This is the craziest funding
That there ever could be
Open up the store sucka
Let's browse some zero-g chariots

MoMA told me not to fund
MoMA told me not to fund
That ain't the way to have fun

Open up the store
Get some cash in this game
I think I'm almost choking from
The knockoff prerendered worm
And that bonfire of money you're feeding
'Bout to scare me half to death
Oh, don't turn on the game
'Cause I don't want to see

MoMA told me not to run 2.6.2
MoMA told me not to run 2.6.2
That ain't the way to have fun
That ain't the way to have fun, son

The spaceships are blasting,
Some goons flying away with rings
I'm looking at my wife
She's halfway out the door
I seen so many things
I ain't never seen before
I don't know what it is
But I don't wanna see no more

MoMA told me not to refund
MoMA told me not to refund
He said, that ain't the way to have fun, son

That ain't the way to have fun,

MoMA told me, MoMA told me, MoMA told me
Told me, told me,

That ain't the way to have fun, no
That ain't the way to have fun, son

To the tune of Mama told me not to come (1970)

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a jpeg ship
Upon a no-clip ocean.

Progress, progress everywhere
The patch just weeks away;
Progress, progress everywhere,
Nor any game to play.

:allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

The only real detail they've provided was Ben Perry's description over on FDev: it was a change from CryEngine 3.8 to the exact same part in the Lumberyard code history. So it wasn't an engine change since nothing actually changed — it's just the license on the exact same code changed, and they got a couple of new libraries that they could start to include.

This is actually what I don't get; it should actually be fairly easy to bring everything up to current _unless_ those hacks they made were to the core, rather than just overloading. I'm thinking that they have a fuckton of bailing wire in there holding together the concept of two different physics models.

If it's literally just rubbing Amazon stink on it, I think that lends weight to the idea that the 'schedule' and the newfound transparency is an attempt to court outside suitors if not the Amazon money itself.

It hit a $1000 a share the other day.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Imagine real life as an RPG. It's linear, there's no moving back time at all. No save points. The stuff you face in life, getting a job, getting a girlfriend, getting sex etc. can all be thought of as encounters or bosses or whatever.

Now Incels, they went through life constantly being rejected by everyone and never gained the sufficient EXP to face these encounters. They also never gained enough EXP to get one of the most important assets; Friends (or party members in this analogy). Friends are an extremely vital game mechanic that nearly everyone gets at Level 2 or so, so the rest of the game assumes you have them. If you don't the game is basically unwinnable.

There is no way to grind in the game of life, you have to face obstacles as they come naturally. You have to stay on the Level Curve or it's over. So Incels are basically Level 1 facing encounters that are like Level 20, Level 30 etc. Basically, no matter how hard they try at winning these things they will always fail, the numbers aren't there to make them win.

Now normies say "I was able to get sex at age 18, it was easy." And that may be true. However, they were like Level 20, with a party of 10+ people, facing a Level 10 encounter. It's natural that they'd be able to steamroll such an encounter. But if you're a level 1 Incel with no party members or EXP, then you're straight up going to get wrecked by something that much stronger than you. It's hopeless.

So what is an Incel to do? The answer is turn off the console and ragequit. Self-improvement is functionally impossible. Since the game of life is linear, the level of encounters scales progressively as the game goes on. So by the time an Incel is facing encounters like getting a wife, getting kissed, finding a best friend etc. the only things for him to level grind on are things that are far higher level than he is. How the gently caress is a Level 1 supposed to level-grind on things that are level 15, 25, 32 whatever. He can't, he's just going to get destroyed. Maybe at the beginning of the Incel's journey there were Level 1 encounters to grind on but now there are none, and that's why he's hosed.

Also, every character in this game has an incurable status ailment called Aging which decreases your Looks stat for every second after you turn 21.

Posting In the past, but seriously, muscle fixes everything. Why can't a 20 year old incel guy just work out and get fit? It's not hard. And when you're 20 you can get rocking in a year.'s time. I have zero sympathy for losers. If you're poo poo sucks then just change it. Now that doesn't work in Syria or whatever, but it certainly works for some American with an internet connection.

Good post, btw. I had heard incel here and there but didn't know what it meant.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

The Titanic posted:

CIG seems to be that company made up of CS dropouts who wanted to make a game up until they realized programming is actually hard, and dropped out.

And that's how I became an EE!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

And it all only took 25 takes to get the mocap down! They used real imported beef noodle bowls from Niu Ba Ba for maximum fidelity!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Richie Stardust posted:

Posting In the past, but seriously, muscle fixes everything. Why can't a 20 year old incel guy just work out and get fit? It's not hard.

Before the internet, you literally had to get on with the people around you, rather than the people you would prefer to be around. After the internet arrived, there was a brief moment of peace before AOL threw up its gateway and allowed the campervans in.

After a fairly short while, the edgiest moved to places like Fark and SA; mainly drawn around the concept that the internet was fast becoming awful. Then the real sinks started with poo poo like stormfront. All of a sudden, you could find communities where people supported whatever drat fool loving agenda people could come up with, even subverting the fairly normal programming that you receive when you're a toddler to not bite, don't steal and sharing is better than being a little rear end in a top hat.

Your 20 year old incel was a 14 year old boy that fell in with people that had a similar idea on how the world was geared against them. But rather than band together for mutual protection, it becomes a grudging rejection of society for being unfair - this is the really passive bit.

MRA's piss me off because there's a huge passive voice in attempting to reduce women to a cost-benefit analysis that they could immediately change by being more active, showering and putting down the control pad. The problem is that some of this poo poo isn't real, but people taking Poe's law as far as they can and _finding_ people who actually support this stuff for the lulz or realz.

Apols for the wall.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
So, question. Of all the things Amazon could have done to start getting into gaming, why make a mod of CryEngine? Was it just the cheapest thing available, and the folks in charge assumed that an engine attached to a failing company wouldn't be rear end? I realize engine creation is expensive and whatever, but if you're going to spend a ton of money to break into the gaming industry wouldn't that be the place to spend your money?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Hav posted:

"That's so Eckhart!"

I think you guys are putting more effort into the script than CIG. Take a step back and consider charging for your posts.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pilz posted:

So, question. Of all the things Amazon could have done to start getting into gaming, why make a mod of CryEngine? Was it just the cheapest thing available, and the folks in charge assumed that an engine attached to a failing company wouldn't be rear end? I realize engine creation is expensive and whatever, but if you're going to spend a ton of money to break into the gaming industry wouldn't that be the place to spend your money?

Yes.

Or rather they started with cryengine and they've been iterating ever since on something that hits 80% of the use-cases that you'd want to create a game, but SC isn't apparently using any of that. There's a significant amount of smoke around why they simply forklifted onto a particular commit point on the tree and stayed there.

Amazon's more interested in the infrastructure business that comes from the game engine, so they've effectively bought profit by supplying something that already _works_, even if it doesn't set the world on fire. Triple A is fast becoming overtaken by a whole world of mediocre and cheap software that is essentially a ruleset, art assets and folio jammed into an engine.

They're going to iterate and expand lumberyard in the same way that they branched out from the original EC2, and you do that from a solid foundation rather than reinventing the wheel, even if it is lovely and made up of 64 sided poly.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Pilz posted:

well, I think breaking into the industry is only a secondary goal, with the primary one being to get more people in the Amazon ecosystem. i don't know the details, but engine creation must be prohibitive in some way - whether expensive or something else entirely - because even in this golden era of gaming there's really only a handful of them around

I suspect they went with CryEngine for the same reason CryEngine was even built - it's easy to make pretty things

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cryengine isn't bad as long as you are using it for a very particular use (FPS). What made Crytek go under was that they were trying to be a big AAA developer to go with the engine and a few badly sold AAA will put any company into a deathspiral very quick.

e- Developing an engine can be expensive but it doesn't have to be. A huge amount of the cost of making an engine for other people is making sure other people can use it. That takes a substantial amount of manhours to document and translate into tens of languages. It takes a lot of people to maintain the customer support needed for people to keep using it. And then the market has evolved so that middleware tools are free and the companies get royalties base on sales which means it could be years before you see ROI. Its just not feasible for most companies

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 31, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Downtime at work:

"Spergman"

Didn't know what time it was the lights were low
I read a post of a redditor
Some cat was layin' down some get-it-on game theory, he did

Then the bad post did seem to fade
Came back as a tweet on a wave of phase
That were no gamer that was a crazy shitizen

[Chorus:]
There's a spergman waiting for a game
He'd like to go and play it
But its state is just a shame
There's a spergman waiting for a game
He's told us not to spread FUD
'Cause he thinks it's not a dud
He told me:
Let the jpegs blind you
Let the jpegs bind you
Let all the jpegs boogie

I had to show someone so I picked on you
Hey, that's far out so you read him too!
Switch on the SA
We may see it quoted on page two

Look at the tracker I can see his plight
If we do tease him he may pledge tonight
Don't tell his wife or she'll get him locked up in fright

[Chorus x2]

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

JugbandDude posted:

I think you guys are putting more effort into the script than CIG. Take a step back and consider charging for your posts.

Even more Star Citizen like; charge for a JPG of your post but warn people it could be refactored and you can't actually read it yet.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Hav posted:

This is actually what I don't get; it should actually be fairly easy to bring everything up to current _unless_ those hacks they made were to the core, rather than just overloading. I'm thinking that they have a fuckton of bailing wire in there holding together the concept of two different physics models.

If it's literally just rubbing Amazon stink on it, I think that lends weight to the idea that the 'schedule' and the newfound transparency is an attempt to court outside suitors if not the Amazon money itself.

It hit a $1000 a share the other day.

Still less than half a Bitcoin :shepspends:

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Hav posted:

Before the internet, you literally had to get on with the people around you, rather than the people you would prefer to be around. After the internet arrived, there was a brief moment of peace before AOL threw up its gateway and allowed the campervans in.

After a fairly short while, the edgiest moved to places like Fark and SA; mainly drawn around the concept that the internet was fast becoming awful. Then the real sinks started with poo poo like stormfront. All of a sudden, you could find communities where people supported whatever drat fool loving agenda people could come up with, even subverting the fairly normal programming that you receive when you're a toddler to not bite, don't steal and sharing is better than being a little rear end in a top hat.

Your 20 year old incel was a 14 year old boy that fell in with people that had a similar idea on how the world was geared against them. But rather than band together for mutual protection, it becomes a grudging rejection of society for being unfair - this is the really passive bit.

MRA's piss me off because there's a huge passive voice in attempting to reduce women to a cost-benefit analysis that they could immediately change by being more active, showering and putting down the control pad. The problem is that some of this poo poo isn't real, but people taking Poe's law as far as they can and _finding_ people who actually support this stuff for the lulz or realz.

Apols for the wall.

You have illuminated me. I grew up in East Houston, in Denver Harbor. My friends Jose, Josue, and Juan and I played pen and paper games in secret like we were gay Al Qaeda drug dealers. When we got a dialup connection we played MUDs. Fast forward, and I joined the Army, made some money, travelled the world, but every time I went into a gaming store in any city for Friday Night Magic or to check out rule books, or to try and meet cool guys with similar interests, I would one hundred percent of the time face hostility. Not like karate fight hostility, but more like a condescending demeanor with eye rolls and cold hard dickishness. It was like I was a loving cop showing up to a park dominos game. Those little fucks thought I was the reason that the world was unfair. Real talk, there were times when being left out affected my feels. But I didn't start a hate group over it so scrod.

To be fair it wasn't everyone I met. I made a lot of friends and played a lot of games, it was just every store had a sizeable population that hated me on sight.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
kill all beautiful people, hail kovfefe

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

threads boring again

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869858333477523458

Troll Level: President

I aspire to troll the entire world to this level one day

e: I wonder if he's the cuntiflas, or whatever, guy?

DarkRefreshment fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 31, 2017

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

TheAgent posted:

oh limit theory...the game that keeps sending its developer into wild tailspins of depression and self loathing

you could do a huge write up about that game and how the poor bastard creating it has lost his mind several times

I don't follow it anymore because the lone dev seems to have gone Chris lite. Sit in development hell, throw out some irrelevant news or technical bullshit to kickstarter backers once or twice a year between mental breakdowns. Same kind of re-invent the wheel mentality half the time.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Captain posted:

I don't follow it anymore because the lone dev seems to have gone Chris lite. Sit in development hell, throw out some irrelevant news or technical bullshit to kickstarter backers once or twice a year between mental breakdowns. Same kind of re-invent the wheel mentality half the time.

quote:

If you're curious about the state of LT and have been out of the loop for a significant period of time, Josh disappeared for a while due to a burnout, then came back for a while longer, then disappeared again because he was frustrated with getting the game to run at over 5 frames per second. Now that problem is fixed and game development is continuing normally, although he's having to rebuild it in C and Lua to get it to run at a high framerate. (His target is 60 FPS and so far, he's hitting it easily.) He demo'd it at PAX South a few months ago, and several other smaller places since. Beta isn't out yet, but we're steadily working our way in that direction. He's hired me as his community manager, and is looking to hire an intern in the near future to help with some of the code. Things are shaping up. :) We recently updated the main site, too.

C? Like integer C? And Lua?

Richie Stardust posted:

I grew up in East Houston, in Denver Harbor. My friends Jose, Josue, and Juan and I played pen and paper games in secret like we were gay Al Qaeda drug dealers.

Same generation, although we didn't quite have the same 'you're worshipping the devil in secret' in the United Kingdom, and we managed to talk some girls into playing Call of Cthulhu, so it was _all good_. But I'll level with you, I brushed the MRA during a spell when I wasn't quite hitting on all cylinders, but a good dose of exercise and _getting the gently caress out of my own head_ worked wonders.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 31, 2017

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Hav posted:

C? Like integer C? And Lua?

This seems very interesting, where do I pledge?

Can I buy the right to buy the biggest space ship? If it's less than 15k US dollars, I'm not interested :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The truest thing CRobberts has said was the whole "Puts us at 3 years, anything more starts to get stale" statement. Every few months a new space game comes out that is fully functional and fun while every few months you get a patch for SC that makes it buggier and no closer to actual release.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

To be fair to the scam that is cloud imperium games

I fully believe they can and will release a game eventually , it's merely a question of how bad it is and how much longer they can continue to kick the development can down the road until they're forced to release something or Chris loses his swanky office

But its like putting 100 bens into a room with 100 copies of the entire beach body DVD set. Eventually at least 1 Ben will come out ready to walk onto the set of bay watch ...

Just through sheer force of amount of people involved and the supposed bank roll they have they simply can't NOT poo poo something out

Which is what most of the whales are usually saying , they just forgot to include that it will probably be a horrible fmv movie game presented by Chris Roberts a Chris Roberts game from the mind that brought you Chris Roberts

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Sappo569 posted:

I fully believe they can and will release a game eventually , it's merely a question of how bad it is...
At this stage, I'm really hoping the release comes soon. Reading the comments sections of the reviews should be a fantastic source of entertainment.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sappo569 posted:

But its like putting 100 bens into a room with 100 copies of the entire beach body DVD set. Eventually at least 1 Ben will come out ready to walk onto the set of bay watch ...

Wrong, because the DVD machine was traded in for a Betamax player to watch Wing Commander production videos.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I used to be in that camp - that this is more a case of incompetence than scam, and that one day something will be poo poo out

But I dunno anymore. More and more I think this is closer to a Duke Nukem Forever situation - that was also a game that everyone just assumed would have to come out eventually, and while it did eventually release it was really in name only and had nothing to do with the original title announced in the 90s

I think a "Star Citizen" will eventually release, but I honestly don't think it'll be by CIG as we know it today

e:

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

It's infinite monkey theorum in action except with coding. Whales are adding infinite money to the mix making the theory more likely

quote:

Even if every proton in the observable universe were a monkey with a typewriter Star Citizen developer, typing from the Big Bang until the end of the universe (when protons might no longer exist), they would still need a still far greater amount of time – more than three hundred and sixty thousand orders of magnitude longer – to have even a 1 in 10500 chance of success.
Sounds like Dreams in action. 1 in 10500 sounds optimistic

e: Now with more monkey which really needs CR's head photoshopped on it

DarkRefreshment fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 1, 2017

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Sappo569 posted:

I fully believe they can and will release a game eventually , it's merely a question of how bad it is and how much longer they can continue to kick the development can down the road until they're forced to release something or Chris loses his swanky office

This needs some minor updates:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Virtual Captain posted:

This needs some minor updates:

We're smack-dab in the middle of "Cashflow Issues" and "Chump Run"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We're smack-dab in the middle of "Cashflow Issues" and "Chump Run"

Our cash reserves are healthy

CIG has a war chest for legal battles

We don't need anymore money to fund the game , But every extra dollar means we can give you a richer game experience

Buy this new ship

All things we've heard many times , which one is true ?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Long Journey Home launched today, to mixed reviews in Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/366910/The_Long_Journey_Home/

I want to watch some youtube videos later when I'm off work.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

DarkRefreshment posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

It's infinite monkey theorum in action except with coding. Whales are adding infinite money to the mix making the theory more likely

Sounds like Dreams in action. 1 in 10500 sounds optimistic

e: Now with more monkey which really needs CR's head photoshopped on it

but does the theorem account for a clueless boss monkey that goes around demanding the typerwriters themselves to be refactored every 6 months?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Elite Dangerous:

https://imgur.com/gallery/WaU0l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Richie Stardust posted:

You have illuminated me. I grew up in East Houston, in Denver Harbor. My friends Jose, Josue, and Juan and I played pen and paper games in secret like we were gay Al Qaeda drug dealers. When we got a dialup connection we played MUDs. Fast forward, and I joined the Army, made some money, travelled the world, but every time I went into a gaming store in any city for Friday Night Magic or to check out rule books, or to try and meet cool guys with similar interests, I would one hundred percent of the time face hostility. Not like karate fight hostility, but more like a condescending demeanor with eye rolls and cold hard dickishness. It was like I was a loving cop showing up to a park dominos game. Those little fucks thought I was the reason that the world was unfair. Real talk, there were times when being left out affected my feels. But I didn't start a hate group over it so scrod.

To be fair it wasn't everyone I met. I made a lot of friends and played a lot of games, it was just every store had a sizeable population that hated me on sight.

If your partner has the right sort of sense of humor take her with you next time to maximize the comedy outrage.