Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I'm a little biased since I work on Palo Altos a ton these days, but I'm quite fond of them. They're definitely not perfect, but I find them easy to manage and they have a good suite of functionality you can enable. If you go full in on the layer 7/app-id stuff, be prepared to spend a fair bit of time working out your ruleset. It can get pretty granular, which is good for control, but time consuming to track it all down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

madmatt112 posted:

You really gonna dangle that juicy piece in front of us with no redacted storytime? I'm offended. :nono:

Sadly it would be hard to redact enough, and more importantly slash dangerously for my job, it involves lawyers. Lots of lawyers. (None of which are our client, and none of which I want to cross or get on their radar). So....yeah. Maybe if things "settle" down, I can go into some more detail.

Thanks for the PA and Fortinet suggestions, I'd been kinda leaning PA and I'd also seen suggestions that Fortinet was an OK option. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some new awesome thing out there that isn't well known but does a really good job for not huge money. I.e. like the Veeam of UTMs.

I think I should just start using "the Veeam of" in general, that's a pretty good descriptor.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Zil posted:

Set up a webcam and make some money on the side by streaming that poo poo.

Sadly there are trees in the way of our security camera footage of that side of the parking lot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

chin up everything sucks posted:

Sadly there are trees in the way of our security camera footage of that side of the parking lot.

jesus christ

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is this a metaphor for infosec

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is this a metaphor for infosec

No, that is a picture of the event in our parking lot from a few weeks ago. The car on the bottom belongs to my HR Manager. The car on top belonged to an elderly couple who were parking in a handicapped space right in front of a Kaiser building.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, that is a picture of the event in our parking lot from a few weeks ago. The car on the bottom belongs to my HR Manager. The car on top belonged to an elderly couple who were parking in a handicapped space right in front of a Kaiser building.

So yes, it is

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I think he meant the fact your security camera had a blind spot in it and didn't catch something because of it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, infosec is an elderly driver wrecking two cars by launching their own on top of another in a parking lot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Docjowles posted:

The guy who sits next to me has a habit of rapidly clicking his pen open and shut for what seems like hours. No jury in the world would convict me.

Overall my coworkers are super respectful of the open office situation, though. I've definitely worked in places where people stop to have a conversation directly next to your desk, or sales is bellowing poo poo on speakerphone or something, with just zero self awareness. Not a problem here, for whatever reason. I don't have to live in my headphones, which is nice. But still, gently caress open office layouts forever.

Now that you mention it, this actually sounds exactly right! :eng101:

The floor currently being remodeled, that we will be moving to, is open-office.
Better still, I'm on the Desktop team, meaning I still need to have hardware strewn about. I have no idea where they think I'll be doing all the stuff I need to do.
That and the lack of, shall we say, monitor privacy may become an issue.
I am not looking forward to this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

No, infosec is an elderly driver wrecking two cars by launching their own on top of another in a parking lot.

This is exactly what I meant yeah

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lol we had something similar happen at our old office. Our younger HR lady gunned it and drove over a boulder and landed on another persons car; said person had JUST paid off the loan like 3 days prior.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I was expecting a lotus Elise or similar; a minivan is definitely a higher degree of difficulty.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

goddamn

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How'd your manager take it?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

The car in front was a Toyota

I have recently started managing someone who believes they know the best way to do everything. It is apparent they do not. At the moment I am leaning towards letting him find his way rather than crush him immediately. The frustrating part is I will give some advice on 'Complete this task by looking at X and doing Y, see you in 15 mins when you're back'

then I get 'Well I noticed A, so I did B and it actually took 45 mins, but it's done!!!!'

I'm left wondering A? B? I said X and Y!

but as I said, I'll leave him for now as the end result is the task was complete... should people start complaining that 45 mins per task mean he isn't getting to everything in a timely manner, my tact may change but for now I let him learn from his own methods/mistakes.

Kinda hard not to molly coddle though heh.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would have a conversation with him regarding your expectations and that, while you appreciate his initiative in fixing other things, he has to focus on getting assigned tasks completed as given. Like it's easier to have this conversation now than later.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind traveling around the word especially if it's on the company's dime.

A friend of mine in the drug trial business traveled all over the world, but her company made her pay upfront for airfare and lodging. So that one week where she traveled to both Argentina and Germany must have loving sucked. I mean, it's good for your points cards as long as the company promptly reimburses. But then a few months later they missed a payroll because 'someone made a mistake' and she took that as her cue to start looking for another job.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

angry armadillo posted:

The car in front was a Toyota

I have recently started managing someone who believes they know the best way to do everything. It is apparent they do not. At the moment I am leaning towards letting him find his way rather than crush him immediately. The frustrating part is I will give some advice on 'Complete this task by looking at X and doing Y, see you in 15 mins when you're back'

then I get 'Well I noticed A, so I did B and it actually took 45 mins, but it's done!!!!'

I'm left wondering A? B? I said X and Y!

but as I said, I'll leave him for now as the end result is the task was complete... should people start complaining that 45 mins per task mean he isn't getting to everything in a timely manner, my tact may change but for now I let him learn from his own methods/mistakes.

Kinda hard not to molly coddle though heh.
Outcomes are more important than methods, and that should be the focus of any performance conversation or feedback

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody else affected by that Kronos outage yesterday? I wasn't actively working on the issue, but I got copied in on all the updates. Looks like there was some kind of storage array failure that required a 12 hour rollback.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have Kronos but it's all on site in our iSeries.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
guy who brought in an old 30 inch 720p TV to use as a third monitor is now playing music from his laptop. I can hear it through my headphones.

open floor plan offices, folks

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Whelp, didn't get the cool sounding job with travel to Israel. I lacked experience in Linux, which they knew going into it, and it sounded like that was a big sticking point. I also admitted there were a few technologies I haven't used in a while, but could pick up pretty quickly again if needed, and apparently they didn't like that? I don't really understand that part.

I'm like 0/3 on job interviews lately and it's starting to sting.

Edit: ugh getting off the phone for that then immediately getting a ticket about some dumb laptop bullshit I don't want to do anymore.

siggy2021 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 25, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thom and the Heads posted:

guy who brought in an old 30 inch 720p TV to use as a third monitor is now playing music from his laptop. I can hear it through my headphones.

How does that go on for longer than 20 seconds without someone telling him to knock it off?

Seriously, i'd have done it almost immediately.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

siggy2021 posted:

I'm like 0/3 on job interviews lately and it's starting to sting.

Edit: ugh getting off the phone for that then immediately getting a ticket about some dumb laptop bullshit I don't want to do anymore.

Hey man, that's really lovely. We've all been there at times. I just spent 6 months job hunting and struck out on way more than 3 interviews.
These things take time - especially if you're trying to move up and over, which it sounds like you might be.

Keep your spirits up, take care of yourself outside of work however you can, and find your resiliency within. :coffee:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
When I was trying to leave my previous job I struck out at a quant trading firm, amazon, and Presidio despite having glowing internal references at each place. It happens to all of us.

Edit: I've been rejected twice now by amazon for the same role :argh:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah, don't let it get to you after the initial sting wears off. I got rejected 15 times before I got an offer over 6 months. After the first 5, they just rolled off my back.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Thom and the Heads posted:

What the gently caress on so many levels.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sepist posted:

Edit: I've been rejected twice now by amazon for the same role :argh:

Same. I’m pretty sure I suck at STAR interviews and my internal references didn’t help. I really hate they give no feedback.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sorry to be slow, had a bunch of stuff come up.

Yes, WGU. Cloud and System Administration degree

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do people put roofs on their cubicles at your jobs too? I'm in a NOC so that's super open floorplan, but when I have to go upstairs to track down a bad AP it looks like a Calcutta ghetto. People have rigged sliding doors or solid roofs or those palm tree leaf things. It looks terrible and serves no purpose except to hid yourself or what you're doing from other people so I don't get why it's allowed. Also, it smells.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

siggy2021 posted:

I also admitted there were a few technologies I haven't used in a while, but could pick up pretty quickly again if needed, and apparently they didn't like that? I don't really understand that part.

Is this stuff on your resume?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do people put roofs on their cubicles at your jobs too? I'm in a NOC so that's super open floorplan, but when I have to go upstairs to track down a bad AP it looks like a Calcutta ghetto. People have rigged sliding doors or solid roofs or those palm tree leaf things. It looks terrible and serves no purpose except to hid yourself or what you're doing from other people so I don't get why it's allowed. Also, it smells.

What kind of office manager would even allow that

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Krispy Wafer posted:

the highest cube walls I have ever seen were about 5.5', so putting a roof on one would get old real fast, other than for the short people.

I now have a mental image of an office full of midgets and dwarves, and it owns.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I saw one roof. I'm not sure if I can find that again in this sprawling complex of buildings. There are lots of palm fronds and a surprisingly large number of sliding doors. I'll wander upstairs after everyone clocks out to see if I can get photographic evidence.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

the highest cube walls I have ever seen were about 5.5', so putting a roof on one would get old real fast, other than for the short people.

I now have a mental image of an office full of midgets and dwarves, and it owns.

Might be a pitched roof, like a floor of grottos

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Is this stuff on your resume?

I honestly can't even remember what it was, I'm going to say probably not. It wasn't anything major or complex, it was just stuff I don't do every day and would probably just have to browse some documentation and be back up to speed real quick.

After thinking about it earlier today I'm actually kind of irritated. The main reason they passed on me was due to my lack of Linux experience and they had interviewed a candidate over a week ago that was stronger in that. It was very clearly brought up several weeks ago that I have little Linux experience, and none in a production environment. If that was going to be a deal-breaker, why even bring me in?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

siggy2021 posted:

If that was going to be a deal-breaker, why even bring me in?

Backup candidate in case the first pulls out.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
How typical is it for a MSP to start you out on helpdesk for the first 2-3 months? I interviewed for a drat engineer position and now I'm being told after 2-3 months they're going to assess my skills for either escalation or project work.

The pay is way above entry level so whatever but what the gently caress, this feels a little bait and switchy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Matt Zerella posted:

How typical is it for a MSP to start you out on helpdesk for the first 2-3 months? I interviewed for a drat engineer position and now I'm being told after 2-3 months they're going to assess my skills for either escalation or project work.

The pay is way above entry level so whatever but what the gently caress, this feels a little bait and switchy?

Yeah gently caress that, it's a total bait and switch.