Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

stray posted:

I'm interested in setting up a HTPC using a box I've had lying around for a while. I want to store my movies/TV shows on a HDD rather than lots of DVDs and some on the external HDD hooked up to my laptop.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer, but before we get to that, here are the specs: it's a Dell OptiPlex GX260 (mfr. circa 2003), 1.8 GHz processor, integrated Intel 845G series (VGA out), integrated ADI 198x series audio, 500 GB HDD, 1 GB memory, Ubuntu 10.10 and no optical drive. (My everyday computer, by the way, is a MacBook Pro.)

Now, for my questions:

1) Do the above specs have enough horsepower to reasonably run a Linux HTPC? I'm especially interested in hearing what you think about the audio and graphics chipsets.
2) Boxee or XBMC? From what I'm reading, the choice pretty much comes down to XMBC or Boxee. While Boxee has a Netflix app, XBMC seems to be a better choice for a home movie library. I'm leaning towards XBMC (that Aeon interface is pure sex), but I'm not married to it. Which do you like more for a HTPC newbie?
3) In what format should I rip my DVDs? I've been using RipIt to back up some of my DVDs and I've been outputting them as .dvdmedia files (which is actually just a VIDEO_TS folder with a fancy file extension that makes it look like a file). Can XBMC/Boxee play these straight (e.g., so I can keep the extras) or do I need to convert them to, say, MP4? If so, what format/resolution do you prefer? (Optional: can XBMC/Boxee rip my DVDs for me?)
4) Can I keep my subtitle tracks? I have just a little bit of tinnitus (be careful when blasting your music or attending loud concerts, kids!), so sometimes I like to watch stuff with the subtitle track on. If I have to change over to MP4 video, can I retain the optional subtitle tracks?
5) Library management? Does XBMC/Boxee take care of keeping my media library organized for me? Can I just move a video that's ready from my Mac to
6) Metadata? Where does all that metadata in XBMC/Boxee come from? In many of those screenshots, I see things displayed like the MPAA rating, audio/video codec, summary, cover art and even the background is a still from the movie. Does XBMC/Boxee pull this data in automatically from somewhere, or must I set it all manually?
7) Expansion? If the HTPC starts running low on space, can I attach an external HDD and use that, too, or does it all have to be in one folder?

Thanks. I'm a huge movie nerd, so I'm hoping this box is up to snuff.

(By the way, someone might want to update the links in the OP, as PC Alchemy is no more.)

1) Maybe? It almost definitely won't be able to stream HD content. For around $300 you can get a pre-built box capable of doing anything you want.
2) XBMC. Boxee is a branch of XBMC, and seems more focused on social networking and online media.
3) Any format you want. I like using Handbrake to make mkv files, personally, although I haven't used it in awhile now. XBMC will play back almost anything.

5) Yep, once you add your sources for various media and it imports it all into the database (or Library), you'll just update the library and anything new will be added in.
6) XBMC will pull a lot of it by itself, and you choose where it will come from. There's scrapers for IMDB, but I prefer TheMovieDB.com since it's built from the ground up to support HTPC users and has an actual API. For TV Shows, there's TheTVDB.org. I think music is pulled from AllMusic.com but I don't remember off hand. Once you set the scraper for a given source, it'll do everything else.

It's worth noting here that you'll want to have your media well organized before you attempt to do any scraping. Even my movie library, which is named very well, had a bunch of movies I had to go back and fix. Something like Ember Media Manager can really help you out on this (ditto TVRenamer for TV and Tag & Rename for music).
7) You can always had an additional source to the library, it's very easy to do so. It'll check all sources for new items when you update the library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

EC posted:

1) Maybe? It almost definitely won't be able to stream HD content. For around $300 you can get a pre-built box capable of doing anything you want.
Oof. XBMC installed and it is slow as hell (~1-2sec for the mouse pointer to move). Does this mean the graphics chip has got to go?

Also, where would I get one of those $300 purpose-built HTPCs you mentioned?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Someone needs to buy this Atom 330 partial HTPC setup in SA-Mart before I lose my $75 to this guy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

stray posted:

Oof. XBMC installed and it is slow as hell (~1-2sec for the mouse pointer to move). Does this mean the graphics chip has got to go?

Run through the last 5 or 10 pages of this thread, there's lots of talk about 'em. The most popular seems to be the Revo, which is capable of smooth HD playback using DVXA, and is tiny and quiet.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

stray posted:

http://revohtpc.com/revo-htpc-setup-guide/wmc-alternatives/

Here are a couple options.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Ok HTPC goons, I'm thinking of going for the Zotac Mag with a 1TB Iomega Hard Drive, to connect to this screen. I always forget something. What am I forgetting?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mein Eyes! posted:

Ok HTPC goons, I'm thinking of going for the Zotac Mag with a 1TB Iomega Hard Drive, to connect to this screen. I always forget something. What am I forgetting?

That HD isn't a particularly great deal. This WD, for example, is extremely quiet and spins down when not in use. (Some externals still won't, *cough* LaCie Porsche.) It really bothered me always hearing the drive at night when everything else was off and the PC was in standby, or worse having to get off the couch to turn the drive on before using it.

It's also $30 cheaper for the same capacity, or you can get 2tb for a couple bucks more than that Iomega. Unless you're dead set on using eSATA, but I'm not sure it'll make any difference with a nettop doing HTPC work.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...92122852&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...92123240&sr=1-1

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 12, 2010

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Yeah, I'd prefer a hard drive that was as quiet as possible. Thanks for the recommendation, I think I'll go with that 2TB.

strikrr
Nov 21, 2003
I've done some search on an issue an haven't come up with anything. Wondering if anyone has some insight. I have a self built htpc with an ZOTAC GeForce 9300 - ITX WiFi board with a C2D E5200 processor. Win 7 32 bit with XBMC 9.11 loaded. Everything goes over HDMI directly to my TV.

The issue I have is if I leave my HTPC on, after a while when you go back to watch something it seems laggy. When you start a movie the motion seems just slightly choppy, nothing out of sync, but not smooth like it should be. If you restart the machine then it is fine for as long as you are doing active tasks like watching a movie or navigating the menu in XBMC. I have things setup so XBMC launches on startup.

I have a Revo in the bedroom that I installed XBMC on it and it never has an issue, the living room machine is more powerful in terms of hardware than the Revo.

I am at a loss as to where to go from here. There is nothing on the machine except Win 7, drivers, and XBMC.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

strikrr posted:

I've done some search on an issue an haven't come up with anything. Wondering if anyone has some insight. I have a self built htpc with an ZOTAC GeForce 9300 - ITX WiFi board with a C2D E5200 processor. Win 7 32 bit with XBMC 9.11 loaded. Everything goes over HDMI directly to my TV.

The issue I have is if I leave my HTPC on, after a while when you go back to watch something it seems laggy. When you start a movie the motion seems just slightly choppy, nothing out of sync, but not smooth like it should be. If you restart the machine then it is fine for as long as you are doing active tasks like watching a movie or navigating the menu in XBMC. I have things setup so XBMC launches on startup.

I have a Revo in the bedroom that I installed XBMC on it and it never has an issue, the living room machine is more powerful in terms of hardware than the Revo.

I am at a loss as to where to go from here. There is nothing on the machine except Win 7, drivers, and XBMC.

A number of people have mentioned that exact problem in the last few pages.

I don't think anyone has come up with a better solution than just restarting XBMC. In my experience rebooting is overkill. You could probably streamline the process with a batch file or something tied to a hotkey to kill then relaunch the program, but it's still just a workaround.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

strikrr posted:

I think this issue was resolved for some people in the latest build.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I gotta the say XBMC Commander app for the iPad is the loving bomb, anyone else here use it?

stray
Jun 28, 2005

Here's another question: Linux or Windows?

I'm thinking I'd like to set up a HTPC running xbmc, but I'd rather run it on Linux, so I can also use the machine as my home server (for backup, http server for design/testing and more), but is the Linux setup up to snuff (i.e., can I get smooth playback and menu response) or should I just go with Windows?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

stray posted:

I'm thinking I'd like to set up a HTPC running xbmc, but I'd rather run it on Linux, so I can also use the machine as my home server (for backup, http server for design/testing and more), but is the Linux setup up to snuff (i.e., can I get smooth playback and menu response) or should I just go with Windows?

XBMC works just fine under linux.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

stray posted:

As long as your hardware is supported you shouldn't have any problems at all with linux and xbmc.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

mattfl posted:

Man, I gotta the say XBMC Commander app for the iPad is the loving bomb, anyone else here use it?

I acquired a $50 iTunes card last night so I went ahead and bought all of the XBMC apps. XBMC Commander seemed to be the best. I'm not a fan of the wood shelving / chalkboard theme, but the app itself seems to work quite well. I like the look of "XBMC Remote" but as far as I can tell it only works with movies and not TV shows? Hoping it gets an update.

I had "XBMC" for my iPod touch and that was by far the best. I wish they would make a iPad version of that.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

cornface posted:

As long as your hardware is supported you shouldn't have any problems at all with linux and xbmc.
The key hardware being an Nvidia graphics chip and plenty of CPU & RAM, right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

stray posted:

XBMC works fine with a weakling CPU like the Atom.

I'm not sure what the state of GPU support is. The amount of RAM required will vary depending upon whether you're using a system that shares system memory with the GPU.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

stray posted:

The post above is correct about the CPU not being that important as long as you get a video card that XBMC will use VDPAU on. I have an older Atom and it does 1080p fine. But yes, you'll need one of the supported NVIDIA cards with linux. 2 GB of system RAM should be more than enough for HTPC stuff.

You might want something more powerful if you are going to be using it for other things, too, though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Zotac makes a pretty sweet like CULV + ION barebones, that comes out to about $400 with parts. It looks like it should be a sweet little machine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Zotac makes a pretty sweet like CULV + ION barebones, that comes out to about $400 with parts. It looks like it should be a sweet little machine.

That seems pretty expensive when you can get things like the revo for less than $300.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

That seems pretty expensive when you can get things like the revo for less than $300.

But it comes with a lot more power. But I don't know if XBMC could even put that extra power to use.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Where can you get a Revo for less than $300? I'm looking for one now and that seems low.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

But it comes with a lot more power. But I don't know if XBMC could even put that extra power to use.

Well yeah, but it's not too useful if all you're doing is running XBMC.

Elston Gunn posted:

Where can you get a Revo for less than $300? I'm looking for one now and that seems low.

Huh, looks like they don't sell the Revo 1600 anymore...

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

mattfl posted:

I got my Revo 3610 in yesterday. Had XBMC up and running in about 15 minutes and was watching 720p movies streamed from a server machine in a closet in my media room. It's hooked up via HDMI to my TV and SPDIF to my receiver. Could not be easier and can't beat the price!

Did you recently pick one up? I was looking recently and it appeared they have discontinued the 3610 and everyone is out of stock.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Falco posted:

Did you recently pick one up? I was looking recently and it appeared they have discontinued the 3610 and everyone is out of stock.

The r3700 model the next up from the 3610.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Falco posted:

I actually got mine from walmart.com of all places.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

mattfl posted:

I actually got mine from walmart.com of all places.

Wow I would have never guessed walmart. It doesn't look like it's appearing on the site anymore. Looks like I'm going to have to go with the new 3700 model.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Seems like a good deal except there's only one memory slot.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Falco posted:

Wow I would have never guessed walmart. It doesn't look like it's appearing on the site anymore. Looks like I'm going to have to go with the new 3700 model.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AR3610-U2002/14575793?wmlspartner=jXot6eVeYJg&sourceid=04287906020185104717

Try that link.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Wow apparently I lose at searching walmart. Thanks for pointing this out. Although the new 3700 model is the same price on Newegg, just out of stock right now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Falco posted:

Wow apparently I lose at searching walmart. Thanks for pointing this out. Although the new 3700 model is the same price on Newegg, just out of stock right now.

I had to dig to find that link so don't worry. :)

Ya I noticed it was out of stock pretty much anywhere which is why I ordered it from walmart. Mostly instant gratification and all :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Falco posted:

At that price, I'd start thinking about that Zotac that FISHMAPNET posted a few posts ago...

edit: Hmm, now I can't find it...maybe it was another thread? Anyway, you can get a more powerful Celeron system from Zotac for $400. It's worth a thought at least.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 17, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

At that price, I'd start thinking about that Zotac that FISHMAPNET posted a few posts ago...

edit: Hmm, now I can't find it...maybe it was another thread? Anyway, you can get a more powerful Celeron system from Zotac for $400. It's worth a thought at least.

Nope, it was this thread, just never linked it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173012

It's out of stock now, not sure if that's temporary or not. It's barebones, which means you'll need memory and a drive, and an OS. I'm going to run Linux, so the OS cost doesn't matter to me, but if you're going to use Windows, those Revos still look pretty good.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

This year my gift to the house is a HTPC setup to go with the HD TV someone else is getting. Needs to be simple for the non techies to use once I get it set up.

I'm looking at:
Zotac MAG Intel Atom N330, NVIDIA ION, 2 GB DDR2, 160 GB HD, eSATA, HDMI HD-ND01-U Mini PC - No OS
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030UH2J4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

With this to use as a remote:
IOGear Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel, 2.4GHz Wireless GKM561R (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002H0BOBA/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Will it be able to play high quality movies from a USB DVD player or HD?

e: Specifically something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...92687212&sr=1-2

I have never tried to play video over USB so I just want to make sure it will actually work.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 18, 2010

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Yes, USB has enough bandwidth to handle blu-ray video so you will be fine.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I'm getting a 3D TV (which evilalien knows because he answered like a zillion of my questions in the HDTV thread), and want to know what it would take to get my HTPC 3D capable. My specs:

Core 2 Duo E6550
2gb DDR2
nForce 630i motherboard w/
GeForce 7150
Windows 7 64bit

Obviously I would need a BluRay drive, first and foremost. If I got a new video card, would that take most of the processing off the CPU or would I need to upgrade the whole thing? I would probably toss another 2gb of RAM in just because I'll have the case open. I'm really hoping I won't need a whole new motherboard/cpu/etc.

Unfortunately my receiver isn't HDMI 1.4 so I would need to run an HDMI cable directly to the TV and optical out to the receiver. Is it possible to rip the 3D BR movies I'll be buying and store them on my server for playback (preferably in XBMC but I'll take what I can get)? What are the file sizes like?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
XBMC 10.0 (Dharma) was officially released over the weekend, so if you're like me and were holding out for the final build, go get you some: http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/12/18/xbmc-10-0/

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Peas and Rice posted:

XBMC 10.0 (Dharma) was officially released over the weekend, so if you're like me and were holding out for the final build, go get you some: http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/12/18/xbmc-10-0/

Just upgraded and it is really nice. Worth grabbing just because add-on/skin downloads don't take over the entire interface any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I read a bit of this thread but I'm not certain if I can find/make a HTPC for my needs.
I was hoping to get a HTPC that could interface with my 2 computers and 3 televisions. This includes TV playback, pause, and recording, along with music/video/etc. I want to be able to control the various TV's with remotes if possible. Am I insane? Does this exist?

My budget is ~800, but lower is better. :)