Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Cowcatcher posted:

I finally had that boar. 3.5lbs shoulder roast, slow cooked in a roaster for 4 hours, it was really something else. Served with mead for full medieval effect.

So now I need suggestions about what to do with boar gravy. It's strong and salty.

Braise ye some mutton joints therein posthaste verily and such or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.
I seem to remember seeing a thread or post covering this, but I glanced around GWS and 20 or so pages back in this thread with no luck. If this has been asked/answered to death, I apologize.

What online retailers would you recommend for buying whole spices? The local places seem to carry only pre-ground, and I'm hopeful I might get better quality from an internet vendor anyway.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Adrinidad posted:

I seem to remember seeing a thread or post covering this, but I glanced around GWS and 20 or so pages back in this thread with no luck. If this has been asked/answered to death, I apologize.

What online retailers would you recommend for buying whole spices? The local places seem to carry only pre-ground, and I'm hopeful I might get better quality from an internet vendor anyway.
Penzey's or Amazon.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

bunnielab posted:

Mix it with bread scraps and give it to your serfs?

Psh, they should be so lucky. Everyone knows serfs should be given the bread scraps very lightly tossed in some boar drippings.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Adrinidad posted:

I hunt around ethnic markets for most of my spices. :shobon:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
A friend gave me some vegetables. I'm not really sure what they are. I think the one on the left is a fennel? the white one is apparently a kortoba or something (he wrote it down but i forgot it) the one in the middle is brown and could be a turnip but I really have no idea. It looks a bit off and is squishy so w/e I guess.

Anyway what's cool to make with these strange vegetables? :sun:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

A friend gave me some vegetables. I'm not really sure what they are. I think the one on the left is a fennel? the white one is apparently a kortoba or something (he wrote it down but i forgot it) the one in the middle is brown and could be a turnip but I really have no idea. It looks a bit off and is squishy so w/e I guess.

Anyway what's cool to make with these strange vegetables? :sun:

The one on the left is indeed fennel, and the one on the front is kohlrabi. I can't /see/ the one in the middle, so no clue what that is.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Ah, thanks.

Whoops, here's a couple of pics where you can see it (camera got stuck in an FC loop so unfortunately no clear ones. androided again :downs:):

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Ah, thanks.

Whoops, here's a couple of pics where you can see it (camera got stuck in an FC loop so unfortunately no clear ones. androided again :downs:):

Yeah, I can't make out what it is, because of the blurry. Google Images seems to think it's either a dog, or a black man:

http://tinyurl.com/7sk5lt4

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Maybe that's a beet.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
It looks like a beet to me, but the white one that isn't fennel looks like jicama to me so I may not have any idea what I'm talking about.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's no more a jicama than it is an avocado.

The middle one is a beet.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Ah, thanks.

left to right: fennel, beet, kohlrabi

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I made some pulled pork in a crock pot but was an idiot and didn't skim off the fat because I left it in the liquid overnight. The meat has soaked everything up and it's soggy and gross looking (tastes fine).

Any way I can fix it? Spread on a baking sheet and broil? Reheat in the crock pot and remove the liquid? Food coloring?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

taco show posted:

Spread on a baking sheet and broil?

no joke, this is always a good idea.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Lay out sliced sourdough underneath it. After the pork is "cleaned up", clear it off, lay sliced sharp cheese on the bread and cook it until the bread crisps up a little.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004

tokki g posted:

I bought some pork tenderloins sat night, put a dry rub on them sun morning, and grilled most of them later that evening. I still have 2 chilling in the fridge. How long can they keep? I think I'll grill them tomorrow night.
Also accepting suggestions on things to do to it other than grilling. Note: I suck at cooking, but am good at following instructions because I am a scientist, or at least I'm in school to become one.

OK, grilling and beer in a few hours.
I'm concerned that the pork loin won't be moist enough since I didn't do a brine and only a dry rub. The last few I grilled from this batch were a little dry. If I add like 1/2cup of water to ~1lb pork and let it sit for ~2-3hrs before grilling, will it be more moist or is this a futile endeavor?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

tokki g posted:

OK, grilling and beer in a few hours.
I'm concerned that the pork loin won't be moist enough since I didn't do a brine and only a dry rub. The last few I grilled from this batch were a little dry. If I add like 1/2cup of water to ~1lb pork and let it sit for ~2-3hrs before grilling, will it be more moist or is this a futile endeavor?

just don't grill it to poo poo. 140 degrees is decent. I guess technically I super salty brine for 3 hours would impart some moisture but it would be weirdly and uneven. Just grill it less or have some nice saucy accoutrements.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Wait -- are they loins or tenderloins (you could make a fist around a tenderloin but not a loin). If they are in fact tenderloins, you could probably brine them for 2 hours and it would be effective. A loin not so much.

edit: my go to brine is 2c kosher salt 1c sugar per 1G water.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Cool, thanks!

I found simple recipes for both kohlrabi and fennel, any ideas what I can do with the beet?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's a beet. Eat it shredded with carrots in a salad with sour cream. Most recipes require more than one. Alternatively, you could acquire more than one beet and then make all sorts of delicious recipes since beets are really awesome.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I had a roasted beet risotto once that was really good (and really pink). But yeah beets are awesome, I need to eat more of them.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I like beets roasted best, and they go particularly well with chevre. The easy recipe is this: scrub, peel, quarter beet. Wrap loosely in a foil packet with a little oil, salt, pepper, and perhaps some of a robust herb. Cook in a hot (400ish) oven until getting tender, maybe 25 minutes. Slit the top of the packet and spread it open, or unwrap it if you have asbestos hands, and crumble in some goat cheese. Switch your oven to broil, then return to the oven and cook until the cheese gets a little melty and begins to colour on the top. If you take it out too soon the cheese will just melt and make unattractive purple slime. It is still delicious if you make this mistake, but if you let it cook a little more it dries out, colors a little, and doesn't mix as much.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

pork never goes bad posted:

I like beets roasted best, and they go particularly well with chevre. The easy recipe is this: scrub, peel, quarter beet. Wrap loosely in a foil packet with a little oil, salt, pepper, and perhaps some of a robust herb. Cook in a hot (400ish) oven until getting tender, maybe 25 minutes. Slit the top of the packet and spread it open, or unwrap it if you have asbestos hands, and crumble in some goat cheese. Switch your oven to broil, then return to the oven and cook until the cheese gets a little melty and begins to colour on the top. If you take it out too soon the cheese will just melt and make unattractive purple slime. It is still delicious if you make this mistake, but if you let it cook a little more it dries out, colors a little, and doesn't mix as much.
That sounds excellent, I'll try that. Thanks :sun:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Cool, thanks!

I found simple recipes for both kohlrabi and fennel, any ideas what I can do with the beet?

1 beet, peeled
1 granny smith apple, cored
3 carrots
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 lime, juice
3 pinches salt

Shred the beets and carrots with a grater. Chop the apple up finely. Add the peanut butter, lime juice, and the salt. Mix thoroughly, until the peanut butter is creamy and incorporated. Serve the mixture over a green salad of some sort.

Optionally, garnish with pine nuts, pecans, or cashews.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got some big lamb steaks. It looks like it comes from the leg, there's a huge bone in the middle full of marrow. I hear marrow is all sorts of tasty but I've never had it or tried to cook it. I've also never cooked lamb.

Do I just cook this like a normal cow steak, say, medium rare? Is there any way to enjoy both a tasty steak and the marrow in the bone? I hear marrow is supposed to be broiled or some such, my crappy apartment broiler doesn't work but I do have a blowtorch.

Help me, what do I do?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I also have a lamb question! I picked up some nice-looking shanks tonight and I want to do crock pot osso bucco tomorrow. In the mornings I'm usually kind of rushed for time. Is there any reason I shouldn't sear the outsides of the shank tonight and put it in the fridge, so I don't have to brown it in the morning?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Stalizard posted:

I got some big lamb steaks. It looks like it comes from the leg, there's a huge bone in the middle full of marrow. I hear marrow is all sorts of tasty but I've never had it or tried to cook it. I've also never cooked lamb.

Do I just cook this like a normal cow steak, say, medium rare? Is there any way to enjoy both a tasty steak and the marrow in the bone? I hear marrow is supposed to be broiled or some such, my crappy apartment broiler doesn't work but I do have a blowtorch.

Help me, what do I do?

If it's from a leg, it'll probably be pretty tough if you try to cook it like a normal steak. Leg of lamb is best cooked low and slow, if I recall correctly.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Stalizard posted:

Help me, what do I do?

I once got a boneless leg o' lamb and cut some steaks from the top. It was really tasty grilled medium rare, but definitely a bit on the chewy side in some areas. I'd have given those lamb steaks a B overall just for that. They were still mouthwatering good though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

You should check out ICSA: Vanilla that we had back in January/February. Loads of great vanilla-oriented recipes there, plenty of them non-desserts.

Thank you! That is the perfect thread. Now I've read more about ICSA and it's like the the world is opening

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."
What can I do with artichokes, without turning it into a dip or tearing it apart in general? This is my first time using artichokes, and I want to try them whole. I found a couple steamed recipes, but I love spices and herbs, so I figured I'd poke around for some suggestions here. Thanks :)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I love having caramelized onions on sandwiches, burgers, whatever, but it usually takes longer to make the onions than everything else in the meal combined. If I were to do a great big batch, how long would they reasonably stay 'good' in the fridge in a sealed glass jar?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

ChetReckless posted:

I love having caramelized onions on sandwiches, burgers, whatever, but it usually takes longer to make the onions than everything else in the meal combined. If I were to do a great big batch, how long would they reasonably stay 'good' in the fridge in a sealed glass jar?
I would put a week limit on them. If you make a compote of sorts and hit it with some vinegar, salt and sugar then I would extend it a bit due to the added preservatives. Really you can keep them until they look/smell off, which could be several weeks, but it's a much better idea from a flavor and hygiene standpoint to set aside some time and make a batch once a week.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I got some onions and potatoes on sale last week, foolishly forgetting that I was going on a trip from tomorrow until Tuesday. Is there some casserole or something that I can use to soak them all up? I've got 3lbs of onions and 9lbs of potatoes. I have to burn through some milk also, so I was thinking of making a roux and then cheese sauce from that, and then making some kind of baked onion/potato casserole. Basically, substituting potato for pasta in macaroni and cheese.

My mac and cheese recipe bakes at 350 for 25 minutes, but baked potatoes go at that temperature for an hour and change, so I'm thinking of pre-baking the potatoes for 35 minutes, and then adding the onions and cheese sauce and baking for another 25. Does that sound reasonable to the people who actually understand cooking? Any other ideas?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

ejstheman posted:

I got some onions and potatoes on sale last week, foolishly forgetting that I was going on a trip from tomorrow until Tuesday. Is there some casserole or something that I can use to soak them all up? I've got 3lbs of onions and 9lbs of potatoes. I have to burn through some milk also, so I was thinking of making a roux and then cheese sauce from that, and then making some kind of baked onion/potato casserole. Basically, substituting potato for pasta in macaroni and cheese.

My mac and cheese recipe bakes at 350 for 25 minutes, but baked potatoes go at that temperature for an hour and change, so I'm thinking of pre-baking the potatoes for 35 minutes, and then adding the onions and cheese sauce and baking for another 25. Does that sound reasonable to the people who actually understand cooking? Any other ideas?
Just thin slice your potatoes and onions, layer them in a casserole with cheese and add a little cream. Let it bake until everything is tender and it has become a cohesive mass.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
I recently moved to an apartment with electric hotplates. The heating elements are under one big (glass?) panel. I've only ever cooked with gas before, and I'm having trouble getting the temperature I want.

One thing I've been doing is, if it gets too hot, to take a handful of water and throw it onto the plate. It pretty much turns to steam instantly. Is this a bad idea? Is that likely to damage something?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hydrolith posted:

I recently moved to an apartment with electric hotplates. The heating elements are under one big (glass?) panel. I've only ever cooked with gas before, and I'm having trouble getting the temperature I want.

One thing I've been doing is, if it gets too hot, to take a handful of water and throw it onto the plate. It pretty much turns to steam instantly. Is this a bad idea? Is that likely to damage something?

I wouldn't advise that...sudden extreme changes in temperature are usually bad and are prone to causing damage to, well, anything. If you're finding the heat is too high, why not just remove your cooking vessel (pot, pan, whatever) from the heat for a moment and turn the burner down until it cools to your desired temp?

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I wouldn't advise that...sudden extreme changes in temperature are usually bad and are prone to causing damage to, well, anything. If you're finding the heat is too high, why not just remove your cooking vessel (pot, pan, whatever) from the heat for a moment and turn the burner down until it cools to your desired temp?

Well, take cooking rice. I turn it up to get the water boiling, then I need to turn it down and simmer it. It's electric, so it takes a good few minutes to cool down, in the meantime I still need the rice simmering. I can't take it off and I can't leave it on or it'll just boil the hell out of it. Only alternative I've come up with is to use two hotplates at once, a big one to boil it and a smaller one to simmer. Except I keep getting the setting wrong on the smaller hotplate and making it too hot as well, so I end up with the same problem. Hence the water to cool the hotplate.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My first apartment had the kind of electric "under-glass" heaters you're describing. The solution I came up with was to move into a better apartment (they're seriously terrible, good luck to you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hydrolith posted:

Holy poo poo, don't do this.

Pick up the drat pot and it will cool down immediately. Then put it half-on, half-off the burner and it won't soak up so much heat. The element will cool down once it's turned to a lower temperature, but yes, it takes a little while. Electric takes a while to get used to if you've only ever used gas and you're probably going to hate it. Trying to cool it down rapidly can do Very Bad Things to the element.