Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

When I did my SK's 1.5 on FV I got the murkglider egg in the very first respawn after killing the first.

Decided to help some random SK just now and very first respawn. I don't even want to know the odds of that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Midnight City posted:

When I did my SK's 1.5 on FV I got the murkglider egg in the very first respawn after killing the first.

Decided to help some random SK just now and very first respawn. I don't even want to know the odds of that happening.

Probably like 1 in 6.

Bonnono
May 2, 2006

Interesting...

Merc Gear and AA's

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Yeah, merc houses of pancakes are in beta, but none of it is it for the HoF release. Looks like a feature for the next expansion, along with some other neat code changes that appeared in the last couple days of beta.

Something cool that just went in on beta was coloring npc text instead of putting it in brackets and making those clickable links. They didn't have it spread throughout beta, just some select npcs.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 12, 2013

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo. Finally hit 92 and with EM12, my pet cons higher than me. Too bad it's back to that spectre model.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Well it took awhile but it's finally dawned on me that I will never get into one of the two raid guilds as an SK, so I'm thinking of making a shaman that I'll box with the SK while grouping but the shaman will be my main raider, only I hate boxing. Everybody says to use isboxer and I can afford it, but I've tried to get it configured with a really simple number pad setup and it just wouldn't work at all. Any advice or guides that even an idiot like me can understand?

Or does the redguide KISS plugin do what I'm needing? I really just want to be able to press 1-9 on the number pad and have it do random shaman spells, nothing fancy like that picture in picture stuff.

Or maybe just some advice in general. I like playing the SK, but they're in a bad position these days raid wise, both of the major guilds on FV are completely closed to them but still accept Paladins, so I was thinking of making a pally, I've always liked them but I'd basically have to strip the SK of gear to do it, and I am making some serious bank with him by Pling 1-70's for 250k each, usually I can do 2-3 of those a day. I do like clerics but I hate how getting groups is so hard, everyone says they want a real cleric over the merc until it comes time for the good camps when they'd rather risk it with a merc than have someone else to roll against, etc. If I don't pick something that compliments the SK some, like a shaman, I'd probably end up just cannibalizing his gear and probably end up regretting it.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 13, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Midnight City posted:

Well it took awhile but it's finally dawned on me that I will never get into one of the two raid guilds as an SK, so I'm thinking of making a shaman that I'll box with the SK while grouping but the shaman will be my main raider, only I hate boxing. Everybody says to use isboxer and I can afford it, but I've tried to get it configured with a really simple number pad setup and it just wouldn't work at all. Any advice or guides that even an idiot like me can understand?

#1 thing if you're thinking about switching to another class to get into a raiding guild: Pick a class and role you can enjoy playing.

It does no one any good if you hate the class you applied with and quit a month or two later.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You could probably get away without ISboxer if you weren't counting on too much fancy poo poo on the shaman. Mine was only 79ish when I quit playing it but you could probably work what you needed to do on them to like...3-4 macros?

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Midnight City posted:

Or does the redguide KISS plugin do what I'm needing? I really just want to be able to press 1-9 on the number pad and have it do random shaman spells, nothing fancy like that picture in picture stuff.

Or maybe just some advice in general. I like playing the SK, but they're in a bad position these days raid wise, both of the major guilds on FV are completely closed to them but still accept Paladins, so I was thinking of making a pally, I've always liked them but I'd basically have to strip the SK of gear to do it, and I am making some serious bank with him by Pling 1-70's for 250k each, usually I can do 2-3 of those a day. I do like clerics but I hate how getting groups is so hard, everyone says they want a real cleric over the merc until it comes time for the good camps when they'd rather risk it with a merc than have someone else to roll against, etc. If I don't pick something that compliments the SK some, like a shaman, I'd probably end up just cannibalizing his gear and probably end up regretting it.

ISBoxer really is super easy to setup and use. There's an EQ setup guide / wiki that is now slightly out of date because of the latest version. If you read the ISBoxer EQ forums, I posted some problems I was having with the new version and was able to easily load and setup the new version. I don't do anything exotic. There's a free trial period (for ISBoxer) and if you log into the EQ Test server you get a Gold subscription for free. It's the best server to try out boxing. Spending a few hours to learn ISboxer results in a huge ROI down the road.

[quote]I do like clerics but I hate how getting groups is so hard, everyone says they want a real cleric over the merc until it comes time for the good camps[quote]

I realize you're on FV (and I've spent almost no time on that server) and everything is droppable, but if you play a raid cleric what would you really need from a group camp? You'd still have your SK to farm cash and with raiding your cleric would get geared out. Have you raided a lot in the past? All I know is when I raided a lot, I was welcome in pickup group camps with non-guildies for the simply reason I didn't want anything but exp and fun. Do you expect a different dynamic?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Illa, I fully expect a trip report for tomorrow's chaos. Is this going to be like Shadows of Fear when you finish it all on day one?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

Illa, I fully expect a trip report for tomorrow's chaos. Is this going to be like Shadows of Fear when you finish it all on day one?

Yes.

Everything is bugged to poo poo and the new zones look like crappy duke3d levels.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

jetz0r posted:

Yes.

Everything is bugged to poo poo and the new zones look like crappy duke3d levels.

The new zones look so bad I honestly thought they were placeholder zone graphics =/. They got that old school EQ feel where the floor is the same color/texture as the ceiling.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Stanos posted:

You could probably get away without ISboxer if you weren't counting on too much fancy poo poo on the shaman. Mine was only 79ish when I quit playing it but you could probably work what you needed to do on them to like...3-4 macros?

I do 3 guys with no isbox, even though I have it for other games and no macros. Once you get patterns down for each character you can do it in your sleep.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I do the same. I run a 3 box with just a few macro's on each of my toons' hotbar. I tried IS Boxer but guide was out of date so I couldn't get it to work. For such a simple concept it sure is hard to set up.

si
Apr 26, 2004

RCarr posted:

I do the same. I run a 3 box with just a few macro's on each of my toons' hotbar. I tried IS Boxer but guide was out of date so I couldn't get it to work. For such a simple concept it sure is hard to set up.

Agreed -- I'm just now starting to get the 'zen' and things are getting much easier.

Video FX is absolutely awesome with click-through, since you can directly put your box characters hotbars & party/target windows onto your main screen. This is about the most useful thing ever.

Once you get this rolling, it's almost like playing 1 weird amalgamal character. It can get a bit confusing when you lose aggro/etc though. I also have taken out a few non-hostile quest NPCs by forgetting to assist before unleashing caster DPS.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Yes.

Huh. I liked sepulcher and how it took a few months. Seems proper for an end zone. Good luck anyways!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Sancho posted:

The new zones look so bad I honestly thought they were placeholder zone graphics =/. They got that old school EQ feel where the floor is the same color/texture as the ceiling.

Pretty sure it's the same map designer that made Grellith's, one texture tiled over everything with a ton of c&p corridors and rooms.

It's a shame since they do have some good map makers, both the T3 looked great and so did most of the T2 zones. That square geode room in xorbb where the last of the 2nd? mission takes place caused my whole group to go 'holy poo poo, this room owns' in vent the first time we saw it.

si
Apr 26, 2004

jetz0r posted:

Pretty sure it's the same map designer that made Grellith's, one texture tiled over everything with a ton of c&p corridors and rooms.

It's a shame since they do have some good map makers, both the T3 looked great and so did most of the T2 zones. That square geode room in xorbb where the last of the 2nd? mission takes place caused my whole group to go 'holy poo poo, this room owns' in vent the first time we saw it.

I got the email about HoF - and I was like "You know, since I'm playing this, maybe I'll actually kick these guys $10 and buy an expansion. It's pretty chill that they let us fart around these days"

$40 for expansions? I'mma go back to playing for free and not feel bad about it anymore.

I seriously expected all the modern expansions to be like $9.99 or something.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

si posted:

I got the email about HoF - and I was like "You know, since I'm playing this, maybe I'll actually kick these guys $10 and buy an expansion. It's pretty chill that they let us fart around these days"

$40 for expansions? I'mma go back to playing for free and not feel bad about it anymore.

I seriously expected all the modern expansions to be like $9.99 or something.

It's the full RoF expansion, the two additional content releases since Nov have been a part of it. Plus any previous unowned expansions are also included with the newest.

It is dumb that they're still charging full price when the next expansion should be 3-4 months away.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Sancho posted:

They're retardedly easy, too. As in, easier than T3 zones. One group with a knight + couple mages can keep the entire Epicenter on farm. I start up in the little crevice far north, take off running south pulling everything, hit harmshield #1 and into that side room to grab those, back out and down to the big circular room, make a few laps around that rounding everything up, then out the other side to where the mages are waiting. Deflection + silent casting + mage burns + beam = zone's dead in 30 seconds. They REALLY hosed T4 up badly

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

They're retardedly easy, too. As in, easier than T3 zones. One group with a knight + couple mages can keep the entire Epicenter on farm. I start up in the little crevice far north, take off running south pulling everything, hit harmshield #1 and into that side room to grab those, back out and down to the big circular room, make a few laps around that rounding everything up, then out the other side to where the mages are waiting. Deflection + silent casting + mage burns + beam = zone's dead in 30 seconds. They REALLY hosed T4 up badly

I'm willing to give the devs some (some) slack, because when they were making Rain of Fear the suits told them to design EQ to be free to play, which ate right into dev time for Rain of Fear. I'm hoping the next expansion will be better overall.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

I fully expect a trip report for tomorrow's chaos. Is this going to be like Shadows of Fear when you finish it all on day one?

Raid 1 was buggy on beta. There were a bunch of untargettable npc corpses on the ground for ~*flavor*~ reasons. The boss and adds would attack those corpses if there weren't any PCs in range, preventing resets and being annoying. This was fixed by removing the corpses. The boss will still attack campfires and possibly the raid controller.

Highlight: Playing a raid scaled version of Snake with diarrhea pools the boss shits out every few seconds.

Raid 2. Pillars 2.0 in one room without a boss at the end. Dzarn continues using weird things for chests, but a pile of crystals doesn't beat the pile of poo poo from Grellith. Got ", Harbinger of Thule' suffix. Wiped once before winning.

Raid 3. Complex Elegist raid with tons of moving pieces, phases, and lore. Think Sep5 or PoShadows. Had a wipe at 0% of the last phase. MS was starting their first attempt while we were rebuffing/medding from that wipe. Added some tension to our next run, but we got it down that try. Got ", Ender of Fear" Suffix.

The first zone also has 3 mini bosses in different corners of the zone. There is have trash in the tunnels leading up to them, and the trash has a chance to drop the augs found in group missions. The minis are all neat with good mechanics and drop 1-2 pieces of loot plus spells, no currency.

Node posted:

I'm willing to give the devs some (some) slack, because when they were making Rain of Fear the suits told them to design EQ to be free to play, which ate right into dev time for Rain of Fear. I'm hoping the next expansion will be better overall.

They also managed to skip a huge chunk of expansion design time by reusing zones and assets from Velious. T1&2 were reasonably well done and had a lot of good features. Group mission balance was probably the biggest issue.

I would have preferred if T3 and T4 had been merged into one tier and released together. Instead of two 2-3 zone releases each with +60hp upgrades, one 5 zone release with 120hp upgrades.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

They also managed to skip a huge chunk of expansion design time by reusing zones and assets from Velious. T1&2 were reasonably well done and had a lot of good features. Group mission balance was probably the biggest issue.

Honestly, I would not mind if they did this in future expansions at all. Most, if not practically everybody that plays EQ played it over a decade ago, and loves the old zones.

I would love a Return to Kunark, or at least a theme like they did with T1. Seeds had the Field of Scale theme, but would I complain if they recycled Kunark zones? Sebilis, Karnor's, and maybe a Veeshan's Peak grab bag like the new Ntov is? Hell no, I'd totally dig that.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 17, 2013

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Finally decided to just make a necro and not deal with the SK problem. He's max AA'd and fully raid geared and his damage still feels like absolute poo poo even when I load a mob up on dots, unless I'm using VoD. I'm not saying they need buffed or anything, just thought it'd be different.

I'll keep the SK fully geared though so I can keep running PL sessions for people. Making 300k an hour is too insane to pass up by cannibalizing his gear, if I'd made some other melee class I know I'd end up talking myself into doing it.

From memory the must have items for necro are the OMM robe and epic 2.5, highest EM I can afford (probably T2 raid), what am I forgetting? Necro is still all about just loading up on dots and FDing (when you can't kite) while your pet tanks?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Midnight City posted:

Finally decided to just make a necro and not deal with the SK problem. He's max AA'd and fully raid geared and his damage still feels like absolute poo poo even when I load a mob up on dots, unless I'm using VoD. I'm not saying they need buffed or anything, just thought it'd be different.

I'll keep the SK fully geared though so I can keep running PL sessions for people. Making 300k an hour is too insane to pass up by cannibalizing his gear, if I'd made some other melee class I know I'd end up talking myself into doing it.

From memory the must have items for necro are the OMM robe and epic 2.5, highest EM I can afford (probably T2 raid), what am I forgetting? Necro is still all about just loading up on dots and FDing (when you can't kite) while your pet tanks?

You are never going to be happy with any class in everquest.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

You might be right, most common advice these days is to box something and I just hate boxing so I'm stuck with one class.

There was a video game developer for Blizzard who said that a lot of users want to feel like they're 'breaking the game' by overgearing / using special tricks and I think I'm definitely one of those people. Swarming on the SK is exactly that 'breaking the game' thing where it feels awesome and almost like you're cheating, but as soon as I'm actually trying to kill something 1 on 1 consistently it takes foreeeever.

I'm going to make myself stick with the necro for awhile even if I don't like it at first, it's all I've got left at this point. Hopefully their crazy dps, soloing ability and decent group skills will be enough for me.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Are you on test? I mean boxing is free and you can have the laziest box with a bard running /melody. Gives you another merc to play with too. I can understand if you're annoyed by it or hate dividing your attention but a bard melody box is painfully simple and learning how to pull on a bard isn't exactly super hard when you have fading memories.

poo poo I'm pretty sure you could have a live bard buffbot if you weren't expecting much pulling wise or just needed FM once in a while. But then again, you're playing a necro so FM isn't as useful.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I'm on FV, I've tried boxing in the past and just really hated it. Zoning time didn't just double, it more than tripled, even with the background FPS turned up auto follow turning acts like a yo-yo where it's like a drunken driver swerving all over the road when I try to make a turn.

I'm going to keep the SK and make the necro on another account but besides PLing or just needing another merc out I probably won't box them together.

I thought pets were supposed to have been nerfed but there's always groups in general chat wanting more for a caster only group so it must not have been that bad?

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Midnight City posted:

in 4 days you got max level, fully raid geared, and max AAs ? What the gently caress?

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Meowbot posted:

in 4 days you got max level, fully raid geared, and max AAs ? What the gently caress?

Paid to get PL'd and you can buy raid gear on Firiona. It's pretty common. Not to mention a great way to end up super bored. I can understand getting PL'd past content you've already cleared, but I'll never understand the desire some people have to get PL'd straight to 95+.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Meowbot posted:

Where did you get 4 days? I've been on the SK for about a month now. I also had the 4 1/2 days of double XP, and those anniversary XP potions that are 100% bonus with 10 charges are tradeable on FV, so I bought like 25 of them. I was PL'd to 90 though and swarmed the rest.

This is from June 21st.

Midnight City posted:

So whoever said they quit their zerker was right, it's way too much for me to enjoy playing. Decided to just go with an SK since I played one years ago and remember how to swarm.

I don't remember though what augs to go for? Heroic sta? Agi? Does it depend on if I'm group tanking or just swarming?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

If SKs had legit DPS, we'd have even more than we already do. They're not a DPS class, they're for tanking. That said, you can put out way higher DPS as a well played SK than any other tank class!

I still log in my necro for nameds though because it turns 15 minute fights into 1 minute fights :3:

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Midnight City posted:

Where did you get 4 days? I've been on the SK for about a month now. I also had the 4 1/2 days of double XP, and those anniversary XP potions that are 100% bonus with 10 charges are tradeable on FV, so I bought like 25 of them. I was PL'd to 90 though and swarmed the rest.

This is from June 21st.

On july 13 you said you were tired of your SK and thinking of something else. 4 days later you posted

Midnight City posted:

Oh poo poo, I see what you are saying - the SK is the character that is maxed out. The way you phrased it sounded like the necro was doing bad damage but I forgot that VoD was an SK spell. I haven't played in a year but was getting excited that I could get to end game quickly if I started again.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
If you want your sk to feel like a god, play a warrior for a couple days

-Guy who dies dozens of times to Chelsith nameds

I think the pet/caster-only group thing is because pets can't build aggro over melee PCs. NPCs will always target a PC over pet while in melee, unless that's been changed(?)

Anyways I have started raiding with Kodaji's guild, the first time ever for me in Everquest :woop:. It's super fun, I'm trying to build confidence in what I'm doing, I suppose that will come in time and better gear (I need a raid shield). It was cool to be in the tank order, and atleast live until finale stand wears off. There's still stuff I need to figure out like what buffs I should get at all times, where the gently caress to stand, etc. It's all new, but I like it so far

darkhand fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 18, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ask Ffalin, he's already pissed none of the new warriors are asking him that kinda stuff :v:

Serious note, you new tanks are just gonna be pretty hosed for a while :( So goddamn many new people in guild recently that the loot's going to be diluted hardcore for months. Since we don't give tanks gear over everyone else, y'all just gotta limp along. You should all be fine in NToV once you have Ffalin break down warrior-ing for you though. We had 4 or 5 dragons down before I started getting raid gear...wasn't the most fun tanking ever, but it's doable

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah I was/am at a point where i just don't know what I don't know, ya know? :v: After my first taste I know what I should be asking though.

I'm not too worried about getting ~amazing gear~, just enough to not embarrass myself would be pretty cool. Hopefully we get some farmage from voa/tov for cheap stuff.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I remember when server outages/restarts were good news because it meant Vox and Naggy would be up again. I remember getting them both three times in one day once, way back when.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Looks like they're restarting the recruit a friend thing, but the new one's bonuses aren't anywhere near as good as they were.

I'll still go for it though, so if there's anyone who wanting to start playing again who hasn't in the last 6 months and does the recruit thing, I'll PL you to 80-90 with at least a few hundred AA's, help you with your 2.0 and your T5 merc quest. I think the only thing you need to do is accept the recruit and spend $10 to activate it. I'm on FV and play a lot, so if anyone is interested just leave an email or IM name.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What happened to the Fippy Darkpaw server? Did it merge with something eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I guess it only shows up on your server list if you have a gold membership. Apparently it still exists, I just can't see it.