Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Midjack posted:

It may be a revelation for some of you, but it's possible to gently assert status though you can escalate if necessary.

Totally agree. In fact, if they are following the standard procedures, you rarely ever have to say anything (i.e. the ticket speaks on your behalf). I think there was a single time in 5+ years of heavy travel I had to do a true public DYKWIA move. The line was 10+ deep, GA announced only three seats left for standby, the doors were about to close, and the GA told everyone else after #3 there was no point to staying in line. I felt like a complete and total rear end in a top hat, but at that moment I was facing the prospect spending an extra 4.5 hours in PHX. I was that dick who asked from the back 'what about exec plat?'

Edit for context: I got to the gate way late, after they had already cleared all of the top status folks.

app fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

One time the nice old lady next to me in first class asked me if I was a DJ (?) and if that was how I could afford "all these fancy seats". Her daughter had bought her tickets to meet in Paris for her birthday and this was her first leg. Very cute.

I just booked travel to Munich but the BA section of the trip wouldn't let me select seats (AA codeshare). Do I just call them and beg to not throw me in the back of the bus? It's an N fare if that makes a difference.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
You can call AA and ask them for your BA record locator (you'll have one for every airline). With that, you should be able to pick your seats online / over the phone.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

taco show posted:

I just booked travel to Munich but the BA section of the trip wouldn't let me select seats (AA codeshare). Do I just call them and beg to not throw me in the back of the bus? It's an N fare if that makes a difference.
IIRC, BA generally charges for advance seat selection unless you have OneWorld sapphire/emerald status.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Small White Dragon posted:

IIRC, BA generally charges for advance seat selection unless you have OneWorld sapphire/emerald status.

Even in business class which is hosed up.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Mackieman posted:

Even in business class which is hosed up.

Really? That seems super backwards.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

DaRealAce posted:

Really? That seems super backwards.

This is, after all, an airline that offers an 8-across business class product

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

pig slut lisa posted:

This is, after all, an airline that offers an 8-across business class product

wait really

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Had to look it up myself:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Boeing_777-200.php

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Those seats are notorious! That's gotta be loving weird to spend your flight looking at someone facing the other way...

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
There are seatback-height dividers you can raise and lower between the front and back-facing seats so you don't have to stare at somebody the whole way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Does that really get you significantly superior density to reverse herringbone?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SuperSpiff posted:

There are seatback-height dividers you can raise and lower between the front and back-facing seats so you don't have to stare at somebody the whole way.

I dunno. Making people stare at each other awkwardly for ten hours with no ability to leave the situation seems appropriately British.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I could have sworn you could link Delta ticketed Alaska flights into your Alaska My Trips for seat selection, but for some reason I can't now. It won't take my 006 prefixed ticket or my confirmation number. Am I crazy?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I've taken an assignment as an international rotator. 28 days on/28 days off. I had two options for flights. I could either go with Star Alliance through ORD or IAH to FRA or VIE (Lufthansa only flies to my destination on Tuesday and Saturday, other days Austrian flies out of VIE) then either direct to my destination or make another stop in IST (Between Turkish and AtlasGlobal there are two flights a day into my destination). The other, far more straightforward, option was Qatar Airways with one stop in DOH (but requires an overnight in DOH).

Since I live in Dallas I went with Qatar since I get OneWorld points and it's a much less complicated route. My first rotation starts in about 2 weeks. I'll post a review of the lounge in Doha when I get back.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ch3cooh posted:

Since I live in Dallas I went with Qatar since I get OneWorld points and it's a much less complicated route. My first rotation starts in about 2 weeks. I'll post a review of the lounge in Doha when I get back.

Please do, I'll be using it in April

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm sure you've also read the usual advice to get Global Entry and you may have enough time to pull off an interview at DFW. And at least you're flying Qatar instead of AA!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'd take Doha as well. They're paying for a premium class, yeah?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

sellouts posted:

I'd take Doha as well. They're paying for a premium class, yeah?

You know they are!

If I go for 3 hitches I'll be oneworld sapphire and 5 will get me to oneworld emerald. So there are perks that way too.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ch3cooh posted:

You know they are!

If I go for 3 hitches I'll be oneworld sapphire and 5 will get me to oneworld emerald. So there are perks that way too.

While OneWhirld miles are generally less valuable than Star Alliance, being based in Dallas and going to that part of the world makes the QR flight and status a no brainer, especially when in a premium cabin. For a change of pace, you could pop down to IAH and try Emirates and Etihad.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Mackieman posted:

While OneWhirld miles are generally less valuable than Star Alliance, being based in Dallas and going to that part of the world makes the QR flight and status a no brainer, especially when in a premium cabin. For a change of pace, you could pop down to IAH and try Emirates and Etihad.

Emirates and Etihad no longer fly into Erbil. So I'd have to go DFW-IAH-AUH/DXB-IST-EBL. Supposedly emirates is going to restart service into Erbil but most people I talk to are pretty skeptical it's going to happen. Some guys are doing DFW-DXB on Emirates then taking a short hop to DOH and flying Qatar to Erbil.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Social Contract Status: Upheld

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
I'll be dropping into the Doha F lounge at the beginning of March...flying DXB-IAH to drop my family off at home, then immediately flying back but paying in miles for the return. So I'm taking a silly route: IAH-FRA-CDG on Lufthansa, trying to upgrade the IAH-FRA leg to F so I can use the F terminal, and then connecting to Qatar's A380 flight CDG-DOH in F, attempting to stay in one of their nap rooms overnight, and then connecting in the morning to AUH. I'll let you know how it goes! I've flow Qatar's J product a few times and found it quite comfortable and private enough.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Holy poo poo four pairs of shoes and none of them workout.

gently caress I'll wear the same suit 3 days in a row if I'm meeting different groups each day.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

And three blazers?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
At least the blazers are different colors. Those 2 pairs of brown dress shoes look almost identical.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
No pajamas, no instant noodles, not kettle. Terrible

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What's up with the noodles caberham?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Nevermind me, I failed at the reading.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hey guys, any briefcase/computer bag recommendations? Mine just broke and I need a new one. Here are my criteria:

1. Leather
2. Not a backpack (seriously gently caress you people and your backpacks)
3. Looks more like a briefcase than a computer bag (ie not the giant Tumi laptop bags)
4. Holds typical travel gear - laptop, iPad, chargers, outlet adapters, etc.

I'd like to keep this in the $500 or less range. Thanks!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Backpack supremacy

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hey guys, any briefcase/computer bag recommendations? Mine just broke and I need a new one. Here are my criteria:

2. Not a backpack (seriously gently caress you people and your backpacks)
Look at this angry guy. Backpacks for life!

Barry posted:

Backpack supremacy
This guy gets it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Barry posted:

Backpack supremacy

Backpacks and duffel bags 4 lyfe.

Or at least until I'm old and can't carry stuff anymore.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How do you calculate AA EQMs? I've got 5749 miles flown in January, all Y fares, but only 6321 EQMs. Shouldn't all Y fares be 1.5xmiles flown? And shouldn't EQMs just be based on BIS miles? I've got to be calculating something wrong, but can't figure out what it is.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

How do you calculate AA EQMs? I've got 5749 miles flown in January, all Y fares, but only 6321 EQMs. Shouldn't all Y fares be 1.5xmiles flown? And shouldn't EQMs just be based on BIS miles? I've got to be calculating something wrong, but can't figure out what it is.

Not coach, but actual Y class tickets? It'll show Y class in the mileage log no matter what if you booked into coach. The new EQM system bonuses up more expensive fare codes, but I've already had it screw up and miss one of mine. Call and have them correct it if there is a legitimate error. They also announced that they straight up miscalculated sub 500 mile flight bonus EQMs and will be manually fixing that over the new few months.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

backpack with a jacket is janky as gently caress and if you do that you're destroying The Social Contract

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah but it's loving convenient. Also lol if you wear your jacket.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

backpack with a jacket is janky as gently caress and if you do that you're destroying The Social Contract

Yeah if you're wearing a suit that's totally fair, otherwise accept no substitutes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah but it's loving convenient. Also lol if you wear your jacket.

I don't wear it on the plane but this bag has to go with me to client offices where I do in fact wear my jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FunOne posted:

Not coach, but actual Y class tickets? It'll show Y class in the mileage log no matter what if you booked into coach. The new EQM system bonuses up more expensive fare codes, but I've already had it screw up and miss one of mine. Call and have them correct it if there is a legitimate error. They also announced that they straight up miscalculated sub 500 mile flight bonus EQMs and will be manually fixing that over the new few months.

I believe they're actual class Y tickets, yeah. When I book them in the system, it says fare: Y and a portion of my AA log looks like this:

Those are Y codes, correct? Is it calculating from 1/1/2016? I haven't seen a page where they detail how you got the EQM's that you have, so I can't check their math.