Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Athaboros posted:

The COIN games seem pretty well-suited to a team forum game, so I made a play-by-forum Liberty or Death game voting game here.

Feel free to come join and see if a goon Rebellion can beat the Royalists! If you yell the loudest, you can be George Washington.

I was thinking of doing one of these for FitL with goons as squabbling ARVN leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I was thinking of doing one of these for FitL with goons as squabbling ARVN leadership.

Sounds fun, I'd be interested in that.

Also, you should participate in LoD!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

StashAugustine posted:

Discussion of Washington's War in the boardgames thread has me thinking- how is For The People? Mark Herman Civil War sounds nice but I remember someone- Tekopo IIRC- saying it was kinda dated?

All I remember about For the People is, as a lifelong casual wargamer (e.g. I've played Advanced Squad Leader and Totaler Krieg, but only very casually, and neither is a lifestyle for me), that I read the rules about 4 times and could not figure out what the gently caress the river rules and some other systems were trying to do.

It was unusual. As an attorney, I am usually fairly good about slowly parsing my way through rules explanations (I can understand them, even if I don't remember them 10 minutes later). For the People was just as confusing as gently caress for some reason.

Go play Blue vs. Gray instead. :)

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

SlyFrog posted:

Go play Blue vs. Gray instead. :)

Seconding Blue vs. Gray as an unorthodox but highly entertaining Civil War strategic wargame.

In fact, I am nearing the end of a PBEM match of that game, using Vassal, which I am chronicling in detail on Boardgamegeek. My goal was to help people understand the rules and strategy by seeing them in action, and hopefully be mildly entertaining in the process.

Currently waiting to see whether my opponent will commit his prime Western army to a no-retreat defence of Vicksburg again...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wow, Blue vs Grey looks cool. How does US Civil War play?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

StashAugustine posted:

Wow, Blue vs Grey looks cool. How does US Civil War play?
US Civil War is very map-exercise-y. Personally I liked it a lot the one time I played it, it felt pretty cool the chance that I had to try it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also one thing that's weird about US Civil War is that it has completely historical general promotion/demotion/etc and it actually portrays some interesting mechanisms. Like, for example, lower rank McClellan is better than higher rank McClellan. That does mean that Jackson will die every single game though, but the designer of the game makes a good point that systems in which generals can die out of random chance actually model the war in a worse way because it just adds an incentive for a player to shepherd/curate his pool of Generals, which is certainly true of stuff like For the People.

I would suggest giving it a shot if you can.

blackmongoose: wanna continue our TK game?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just posted an ultra rare ASL module (Blood Reef Tarawa) on the Facebook Wargamers Marketplace for $20.

I wonder if my April Fools joke will actually give some old man a heart attack

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

Just posted an ultra rare ASL module (Blood Reef Tarawa) on the Facebook Wargamers Marketplace for $20.

I wonder if my April Fools joke will actually give some old man a heart attack

Wow settle down there Satan

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Carbolic posted:

In fact, I am nearing the end of a PBEM match of that game, using Vassal, which I am chronicling in detail on Boardgamegeek.
Jesus, Carbolic, that AAR is freaking awesome! It gives a great insight into how the game plays. Kudos!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is Blue vs Grey available anywhere for any vaguely reasonable price? It looks super out of print.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Posted an AAR of napoleon's triumph on bgg, https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1552266/repulsing-allies-while-baby-asleep

Main thoughts: so this was this guy's second game, I taught him a couple months back. He was definitely way better this time, but still *definitely* could not properly break through a line.

How does one help, hmm, teach how to maneuver in NT so as to let them actually finish attacks? Other than playing allies myself, I suppose, which I'll suggest again but he might be stubborn and want to play allies till he wins. :v:

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Ilor posted:

Jesus, Carbolic, that AAR is freaking awesome! It gives a great insight into how the game plays. Kudos!

Thanks! It's been fun to do, even while I am gritting my teeth at how many times Grant fails to take his objectives.

StashAugustine posted:

Is Blue vs Grey available anywhere for any vaguely reasonable price? It looks super out of print.

Sadly it is OOP. I see that right now someone is trying to sell a copy for US $125 on ebay which is ridiculous... and someone else is trying to sell the North and South decks separately for $40 and $25 respectively... $65 for the whole game still seems quite steep. I got my copy a few years ago on someone's ebay store, iirc.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Speaking of U.S Civil War, is anyone interested in playing me on VASSAL? I'm considering buying it and want to try it first. I'm thinking I should be able to start sometime next week and do at least a move a day.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

silvergoose posted:

Posted an AAR of napoleon's triumph on bgg, https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1552266/repulsing-allies-while-baby-asleep

Main thoughts: so this was this guy's second game, I taught him a couple months back. He was definitely way better this time, but still *definitely* could not properly break through a line.

How does one help, hmm, teach how to maneuver in NT so as to let them actually finish attacks? Other than playing allies myself, I suppose, which I'll suggest again but he might be stubborn and want to play allies till he wins. :v:

Thanks for this. I own NT and have gotten it to the table once and had no freaking idea what I was doing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

Thanks for this. I own NT and have gotten it to the table once and had no freaking idea what I was doing.

My pleasure! Can't get enough of the game, really. Anything stand out as useful for a new player to you?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Newb looking into trying Cointerinsurgency games. Is it possible to buy them somewhere they don't cost loving 75 dollars? :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tias posted:

Newb looking into trying Cointerinsurgency games. Is it possible to buy them somewhere they don't cost loving 75 dollars? :(

Keep an eye on eBay. But they're big boxes with really nice parts and lots of them. 60-70 new is fair if you can get it.

Or join the "wargamers marketplace" group on Facebook. Guys there still stuff for fair prices.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Keep an eye on eBay. But they're big boxes with really nice parts and lots of them. 60-70 new is fair if you can get it.

Or join the "wargamers marketplace" group on Facebook. Guys there still stuff for fair prices.

Like you, yesterday?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also A Distant Plain is scheduled to be reprinted and Falling Sky should be released within a month or so.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

silvergoose posted:

Like you, yesterday?

Yep ;)

Hey I need the money, I'm terrible about buying more than my wallet can handle

Tias
May 25, 2008

I got a line on the Algerian War COIN game, can anyone tell me if it's any good?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tias posted:

I got a line on the Algerian War COIN game, can anyone tell me if it's any good?
It's not out yet and there isn't much info about it, what do you mean that you have a line on it?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tekopo posted:

It's not out yet and there isn't much info about it, what do you mean that you have a line on it?

The old one. Ici, c'est la France!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ah right, I got confused cause you said COIN and I was thinking of the series. I don't know much about that, sorry.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Is that another of the small Brian Train games? I picked up the Peru one (Shining Path) and it was just sooo ugly, I'm not that motivated to try to learn it because I know it'll be that much harder to get somebody else to play. (Not just aesthetics, it's harder to learn as well)

rchandra fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 2, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't see a brain train stamp anywhere, but it's this one:

http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_ICI.html

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm pretty sure I remember Train talking about it on 3 Moves Ahead. Also Tias, I don't know if you're aware but the COIN games all have excellent VASSAL modules for both solo and online play.

Tias
May 25, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember Train talking about it on 3 Moves Ahead. Also Tias, I don't know if you're aware but the COIN games all have excellent VASSAL modules for both solo and online play.

Oh word, I'll try it out then :D

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

blackmongoose: wanna continue our TK game?

I do! I've been on vacation which is why I've been out of touch but I'm getting back today so I should be available semi-regularly again

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Tias posted:

Oh word, I'll try it out then :D

Also, if you want to try Liberty or Death with other goons, I'm running a voting game here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770062

Starts tomorrow!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Speaking of U.S Civil War, is anyone interested in playing me on VASSAL? I'm considering buying it and want to try it first. I'm thinking I should be able to start sometime next week and do at least a move a day.

So, no one's interested?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oldstench posted:

So, no one's interested?
I'm up for it, when are you free?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Man, was just taking a look at Operation Dauntless. This game appears to be a labor of loving love - 50 pages of design and historical notes! :eyepop:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

Man, was just taking a look at Operation Dauntless. This game appears to be a labor of loving love - 50 pages of design and historical notes! :eyepop:
It's the work of a madman. So many numbers on the counters.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I'm up for it, when are you free?

I can start this week. I need a refresher on the rules though. Asym is best for me as work comes in fits and starts depending on how many bugs I pushed out into production Monday night. I'm EST btw.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm GMT and pretty much free tomorrow and Tuesday, but asym might work, we'll see.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

I'm GMT and pretty much free tomorrow and Tuesday, but asym might work, we'll see.

So you're GMT? I have so many questions for you. When will I get my ADP reprint? When is Cuba Libre being reprinted? How is Falling Sky?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

So you're GMT? I have so many questions for you. When will I get my ADP reprint? When is Cuba Libre being reprinted? How is Falling Sky?

boo_this_man.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Oldstench posted:

boo_this_man.gif

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night.