Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Little thing about D4: the PC version is out in a month and will be $15 for the currently released episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Please don't buy D4. Don't make the same mistake I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En260goftmI

I see no mistake here, only rampant insanity of which I must witness. :shepspends:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I was actually wondering when the big sales start, is it always at the same time?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I see no mistake here, only rampant insanity of which I must witness. :shepspends:

I enjoyed the heck out of SGF's LP of DP but D4 is just unbearably bad and I couldn't even keep watching him play. Don't waste your dollars OR time.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It sucks and tries desperately hard to be weird, just like DP did, except DP was new to you retards so you sucked it up instead of realizing it was awfully executed in every possible way, that includes dialogue and plot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

It sucks and tries desperately hard to be weird, just like DP did, except DP was new to you retards so you sucked it up instead of realizing it was awfully executed in every possible way, that includes dialogue and plot.

i'm shocked you kept it under 5 paragraphs

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZV_ijKaPN8
chill out

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I was actually wondering when the big sales start, is it always at the same time?

I know, I was just trying to give you a tip to find games even cheaper. As far as I can tell, it's just some point during the summer and some point during December.

e: Also, I thought someone else already answered that, which is why you were getting these other responses.

Regrettable has a new favorite as of 08:05 on May 7, 2015

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Regrettable posted:

I know, I was just trying to give you a tip to find games even cheaper. As far as I can tell, it's just some point during the summer and some point during December.

e: Also, I thought someone else already answered that, which is why you were getting these other responses.

I think the December one usually starts a bit before Christmas and ends a bit after New Years.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh bollocks! Sorry to bother you then guys!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

"When will the next steam sale be?" *shooka shooka shooka* "ask again later"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

They do catalog-wide sales every season, with the summer sale being the one with the most fanfare. Spring, summer, autumn/holiday, and christmas sales. The next one for-sure will be summer.

Steam also does publisher sales pretty frequently, so always keep an eye on that. They'll have a big splash screen with a bunch of games on sale, and prices generally don't fall more so you can buy whatever. For the season-sales, p much never buy a game unless it is a daily deal, a community-voted flash deal, or it's the final day of the sale.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Last year, 2014, Steam's summer sale started on June 19th and lasted ten days. It usually coincides with the end of the school year. No reason for it to be later this year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

He also just lifted quite a few things directly from Twin Peaks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JebanyPedal posted:

I didn't know it was possible to be this wrong.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

im glad JebanyPedal is here in the post good things about games thread to tell us that the good things aren't good and are in fact really bad.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LawfulWaffle posted:

I just want to thank the thread for talking me out of paying $23 for a copy of Deadly Premonitions. The LP is good so far and I don't feel like I'm missing out on the experience. It's a very good watch.

SGF's LP is god drat amazing, but yeah, I believe if I had attempted to play the game myself I would have hated it.

I got the game while it was on sale (got it for PSN+ as well but wanted to throw some money swery's way) but but I'll probably never touch it; if I ever want to play it I'll consider the LP to be a spin off series to Twin Peaks and watch it again. :v:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

A few things? The entire game is just his fanfiction love letter to twin peaks with some shoddy combat thrown on. It was wholesale ripped off. Then he made D4 which rips off DP.

As stupid and weird as the other not related to swery "D" series was it was kinda neat that they used the same "digital actress" though. Wish game series did more like that.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Lambeth posted:

The PS3 port is apparently godawful and the PC port is not great but can be improved with mods.

The PS3 port of Deadly Premonition is 100% playable. I played it to 100% completion on PS3, after watching Supergreatfriend's LP videos, and still loved every minute of it*. The 360 version has a better framerate, and a better color palette, but worse controls and textures, that's about it. The framing story cutscenes are fine but don't really add anything.

*I beelined for infinite ammo weapons and the quick-travel radio

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A little thing I noticed that I like about Deus Ex: Human Revolution, now that I'm replaying it: Since the game's HUD is supposed to be literally displaying in front of Jensen's eyes, things like the inventory and quest log are all presented in first-person language. For example, instead of "Go to Jensen's Office" the objective says "Go to my Office", which I think is kinda cool. It adds to the immersion, to the feeling that you are supposed to be Jensen and not just be controlling him.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

A few things? The entire game is just his fanfiction love letter to twin peaks with some shoddy combat thrown on. It was wholesale ripped off. Then he made D4 which rips off DP.

As stupid and weird as the other not related to swery "D" series was it was kinda neat that they used the same "digital actress" though. Wish game series did more like that.

Swery actually has a "digital actor" in the character Forrest Kaysen, who appears in Spy Fiction, Deadly Premonition and D4, bearing the same name and appearance each time but different, unrelated roles. So even if D4 doesn't have anything to do with D and D2, it does have that in common.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that Swery had anything to do with the D games in the 90s. That was all the brainchild of Kenji Eno, and Swery had nothing to do with them at all.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
I don't think anybody said that. The person I replied to mentioned the other D series due to the similar name, and I just wanted to share a little fact that those unrelated games also had in common besides the title.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I see nothing wrong with Twin Peaks: The Game.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Leal posted:

Press F to compliment coffee

Press G for a slice of cherry pie

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Leal posted:

Especially after Alan Wake tried so hard to do it and did such a terrible job at actually being charming or interesting in any way.

Considering that Twin Peaks was just Lynch and Frost copying soap operas and injecting their own weirdness into it the fact that DP was copying Twin Peaks while injecting its own weirdness into it makes it even more appropriate as a homage.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ArtIsResistance posted:

Press F to compliment coffee

Press G for a slice of cherry pie

You joke, but...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In Hitman: Blood Money one mission has you sneaking into a costume party to kill several rival assassins. Much like Agent 47 they've infiltrated the party by killing people and stealing their outfits to blend in, and one of them stole the outfit of a singer that was hired to perform at the party. If you hang out in the level long enough she'll be forced to go on stage and perform, only since she's a hired killer and not an actual singer her singing is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1OeTM8Oryk

Since your map automatically highlights the targets on most difficulties you don't even need to bother trying to figure out which party-goers are imposters through clues like this, but it's still a pretty funny little detail that a lot of people probably never encounter. And they play the real version of the song over the credits a few levels later just to tie it all together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MumJU3sNgw8

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another little subversion I liked in Human Revolution: There's this quest in Hengsha where you have to track down a missing person before she is forcibly augmented to better "service" customers at the brothel she's employed at. Your first objective is to bribe one of the bouncers for information on her location. When you refuse to pay him, he says this:

And to my surprise...

He's totally telling the truth. The ACTUAL way to get the information without paying is to hold off on deciding to knock him out despite his very punchable face and attitude and pretend to walk away... because a minute or two later he starts a phone conversation with his buddies about where she's being held.

...Or you can just pay him, THEN knock him out and get your money back. This works for basically any character that demands a bribe out of you. :v:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:32 on May 9, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's a really small thing, but I appreciate that when running over mines in your tank in Valkyria Chronicles, they only explode when you run your treads directly over them. If you get them between the treads, no explosion.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

This picture of Shay found in Broken Age:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's a really small thing, but I appreciate that when running over mines in your tank in Valkyria Chronicles, they only explode when you run your treads directly over them. If you get them between the treads, no explosion.

Does this really do anything in game? An AP mine is pressure sensitive, and is small enough that it won't really damage a tank (it might detrack one at worse). An AT mine, on the other hand, tends to be magnetic, and so will definitely trigger on a vehicle even if a tread doesn't touch it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Does this really do anything in game? An AP mine is pressure sensitive, and is small enough that it won't really damage a tank (it might detrack one at worse). An AT mine, on the other hand, tends to be magnetic, and so will definitely trigger on a vehicle even if a tread doesn't touch it.

running over AP mines with the tank means your foot soldiers won't have to disarm it or run around it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Playing through Killer Is Dead I really appreciate the variety in its side missions. Based on Suda51's other games like No More Heroes I was expecting the side missions to just be a bunch of arena fights as padding but they actually went to a decent amount of trouble to do everything from environmental-based puzzles to a rail shooter to a king-of-the-hill defense mission to a turret sequence, often with entirely new assets and voice work.

Also I liked the UI using something other than heart silhouettes and/or meters for your stats and the general flourishes they took with it.

Phobophilia posted:

Also magic isn't real and Hitler wasn't a fey blonde anime bishie with a literal Valkyrie as a bodyguard, 2/10 would not play.

Alouicious posted:

running over AP mines with the tank means your foot soldiers won't have to disarm it or run around it

The rock/paper/scissors system they had going on between armored units, anti-armor units, and anti-personnel units in that game was so good. Having your tank roll over a bunch of AP mines with negligible damage to the treads so your engineers run out and clear the anti-tank mines for you was so satisfying.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Can we single out particular lines of dialogue or would that be better in it's own thread? I'm not the biggest fan of Trevor's character in GTA V but "Your nightsticks have minority quotas" in the Z-Type mission is just gold. :allears:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
There are lots of little things in Pillars of Eternity that are designed to avoid some of the frustrations of classic RPGs, but one I like in particular is when you restore the inn in your stronghold you don't have to go through two loading screens to click on a bed in order to rest. Rather, when you're the in the stronghold the campfire icon changes to a bed you can click and rest straight away.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That was added in a patch, I'm pretty sure. You did originally have to go through 3 loading screens.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

That was added in a patch, I'm pretty sure. You did originally have to go through 3 loading screens.

Yup and it was loving insufferable. The stronghold in general was just a gigantic waste of time at release.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lord Lambeth posted:

And this time they don't have Bethesda's engine and console ports to pass the buck to :troll:

Divinty 2 was an OK action-RPG but it spoiled me forever in that you have the TARDIS-like ability pull up your stronghold at any time and access everything directly from a menu while still letting you run around and explore the place in person if you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Another Animal Crossing New Leaf one. I shot down a balloon present but it landed in the river, and my mayor immediately looked shocked and sad. :3: