Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

chumbler posted:

War is poo poo.

Yeah, I dunno about that. Sometimes you hit the jackpot and get to go to exotic places and do interesting things without the fear of death.

Other times, you're stuck on some bumblefuck island in the South Pacific watching a one-act play put on by your unit about the nutritional value of grass and how best to prepare it. The only times you get to eat meat mysteriously coincide with a fresh bed opening up in the infirmary, where 1/3rd or more of your unit is at any time because of various jungle diseases and malnutrition.

Seriously, Senso and The Japanese Merchant Marine in WW2 are great books to read if you're interested about the Japanese experience in WW2. After Midway it was down, down, doooown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
War is butts.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
FMA actually has a lot to say about the Japanese wartime experience, in a roundabout sorta way. Rereading the series in light of the work I've done on Imperial Japan produced a lot of fresh insights.

Another book that should be on anybody's reading list if you're interested in this sort of thing is Listen to the Voices of the Sea, a collection of letters, diary entries, wills, and occasionally even poetry written by Japanese student soldiers who all served and died during the war. Haunting stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'd love to hear your analysis on FMA and wartime Japan if you're willing to type some of it up. Sounds fascinating.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

staff

Director: Kenji Nagasaki
Writer: Yosuke Kuroda
Character Design: Yoshihiko Umakoshi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kenji Nagasaki is the director of Gundam Build Fighters S1, Kuroda was series composition on both seasons of Build Fighters, and Umakoshi did character design for Mushi-shi

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

yes

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I can't wait.

Also Deku has such neat hair.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya being designed to be cute/thoroughly dorky is one of the better things about him. You couldn't design a dude LESS likely to have super strength.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Kenji Nagasaki is the director of Gundam Build Fighters S1, Kuroda was series composition on both seasons of Build Fighters, and Umakoshi did character design for Mushi-shi

Infinitely more excited.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chapter 66

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Great chapter.

Anima getting development is cool. Also I guess his whole family are weird rock-people. Also Tsuyu being able to swallow and regurgitate stuff is something I kinda didn't think about.

FA's translation is still wonky as gently caress and I really wish some other group would pick it up.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Great chapter.

Go, Mineta! Show the world the great heroic figure you are!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
But seriously FA's translations are really hard to read.

What the gently caress is this supposed to be in English?

"She [Tsuyu] is an honor student whose lack of a targeted topic for her is almost a challenge in itself."

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
She's doesn't have a specialty.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Like I know they have their own problems but I almost wish Mangastream would pick this up so we could have an alternative to Viz's really dry/literal (and also hosed up at random times) translations, FA's semi word-salad, and the Chinese dude who translates the raws on /a/ (who is better than both of the former).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Another 10/10 chapter.

Fabricated posted:

But seriously FA's translations are really hard to read.

What the gently caress is this supposed to be in English?

"She [Tsuyu] is an honor student whose lack of a targeted topic for her is almost a challenge in itself."

I took that to mean that she doesn't have any glaring weaknesses to target, so her challenge was to build on her strengths (emotional pillar, great supporter) rather than correct her weaknesses.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Rockboy's mom is a rock, too. Rockmom. Wonder if birdguy has a birdmom.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Law Cheetah posted:

Or a birdad. Either way, it would help explain why some characters have weird bodies that don't relate to their powers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was mentioned that Quicks tend to be either one of your parents quirks or a mix of them.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was mentioned that Quicks tend to be either one of your parents quirks or a mix of them.
Was that explicitly stated or just implied from the whole fiasco with BlazeDad and his son?

I need to know the goddamn genetics that has been determined by all the lab work these quirk people are doing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Law Cheetah posted:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Twiddy posted:

Was that explicitly stated or just implied from the whole fiasco with BlazeDad and his son?

I need to know the goddamn genetics that has been determined by all the lab work these quirk people are doing.

Yes it was explicitly stated.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't really imagine how Mineta is going to pull through in this situation. Even if he wasn't freaking out, I can't think of any way for him to counteract Midnight's (I think that was her name) quirk with his own. He's already tried just throwing them at her, and she's clearly skilled enough to avoid Sero's tape so I doubt he has any chance of hitting her. I mean, it seems like it's obviously leading up to him winning in some way, but I can't think of any way. The orbs have to come into contact with her for them to stick to her, and I imagine she would notice any traps he tries to set.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Ytlaya posted:

I can't really imagine how Mineta is going to pull through in this situation. Even if he wasn't freaking out, I can't think of any way for him to counteract Midnight's (I think that was her name) quirk with his own. He's already tried just throwing them at her, and she's clearly skilled enough to avoid Sero's tape so I doubt he has any chance of hitting her. I mean, it seems like it's obviously leading up to him winning in some way, but I can't think of any way. The orbs have to come into contact with her for them to stick to her, and I imagine she would notice any traps he tries to set.

He'll have to weaponize his creepiness.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Everyone forgets that, for Mineta, his blobs aren't sticky, instead they are super bouncy. I wonder if he has also forgotten.

His power would be loving impressive in the hands of anyone smarter.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tsuyu could make it work - she won using the ability to regurgitate at will.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Say Nothing posted:

Tsuyu could make it work - she won using the ability to regurgitate at will.

She has the power to spit out her entire stomach as she said it is not super pretty.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I love Kouda. I don't blame him or Present Mike at all; I hate pretty much anything you can find under rocks. Also he's wearing bunny dude's scarf from Oumagadoki in that panel with his rockmom.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love that Principal Beardogmouse's Quirk is just being really really smart. The most versatile power.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JosephWongKS posted:

I love that Principal Beardogmouse's Quirk is just being really really smart. The most versatile power.

I love that he's playing the role of a mastermind-type villain who doesn't actually engage in the fighting himself but uses tools to get the job done.

Also EXTREME TEA DRINKING.

Such a good chapter.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > VEGETA > My Hero Academia: Such a good chapter.

It's applicable drat near every week

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Given the look on Tsuyu's face after she did her special trick, I'd say that vomiting up your own stomach...

takes a lot out of you.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 6, 2015

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

this series needs to have more of the principal holy poo poo :allears:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ytlaya posted:

Mineta thinks that all heroes have to be like Jotaro. This test is about getting him to realize that he's actually Joseph.

He's already busted out the Joestar Family Secret Technique, so far so good. He has an insanely versatile power that can be used to set all kinds of devious traps, he needs to start fighting with his head and start playing tricks on people.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Given the look on Tsuyu's face after she did her special trick, I'd say that vomiting up our own stomach...

takes a lot out of you.

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

this series needs to have more of the principal holy poo poo :allears:

I dunno whether he's spilling his tea cause he's laughing so maniacally or because the crane he's operating is shaking so hard that he can't even drink it properly.

I do know that I loving love it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vengarr posted:

Mineta thinks that all heroes have to be like Jotaro. This test is about getting him to realize that he's actually Joseph.

He's already busted out the Joestar Family Secret Technique, so far so good. He has an insanely versatile power that can be used to set all kinds of devious traps, he needs to start fighting with his head and start playing tricks on people.

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The principal was easily the highlight of this chapter.

Per usual, nice to see some of the other students getting their time in the limelight. Hoping the rest of the class makes a strong showing.

Looking forward to next week's chapter, "Mineta: The Origin."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd love to hear your analysis on FMA and wartime Japan if you're willing to type some of it up. Sounds fascinating.
I've had a mind to host an FMA Let's Read for some time now, only real life keeps getting in the way. I'll probably end up kicking off the new year with it, so if you're still around that'll be the thread for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You know the studio and team picked for the anime is good when even the miscreants on /a/ are like, "Okay yeah this could be good."