Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pinterest Mom posted:

the bushes are Old Money

the Bushes are Old Old Money - they became New England Old Money because they were Old Money before they came to the United States

and GW somehow convinced almost a majority of the people of the U.S. that he was a yokel from Texas they'd like to have a beer with, rather than a member of the patrician elite they've been taught to hate for many years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wells posted:

doesn't the IRS go after business that really abuse the 1099 thing? or is that just a trauma induced delusion I have

only certain businesses of course

enforcement was utterly gutted by Bush and the remaining people were told to focus on individual and low-income and small business cheats, not large corporate or high-net-worth cheats. yes, really.

and here we're talking about a business with connections too.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shifty Pony posted:

california?

you are probably thinking about utah and orrin hatch. for whatever reason utah is filled with bullshit snake oil companies and orrin hatch was a huge defender of them in the senate. thankfully he is gone now.

lol nutritional mlms are such bullshit. here is one literally selling tap water for about $120 per gallon

thought it was Montana for some reason

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shifty Pony posted:

california?

you are probably thinking about utah and orrin hatch. for whatever reason utah is filled with bullshit snake oil companies and orrin hatch was a huge defender of them in the senate. thankfully he is gone now.

lol nutritional mlms are such bullshit. here is one literally selling tap water for about $120 per gallon

mlms are big in utah because its full of mormons who are enormously insular and family-centric and that is the perfect environment to guilt your fellow churchgoers and relatives into buying an overpriced vacuum or some hosed up tupperware because your money's staying in the Community

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

uber has all the data they need to accurately estimate net income for drivers. they require you to disclose your car's year, make, and model which combined with their knowledge of miles driven is enough to get fleet average fuel economy/cost and depreciation numbers. it just isn't in their interests at all to do the calculation.

they don't even have to do fleet average with that, they could do it literally for every driver, automatically.

but if they're computing what their drivers will make after all taxes are taken out and vehicle depreciation and insurance taken out and such, it leaves more of a paper trail for someone to turn around and say represents that they think of their drivers as employees and they should be reclassed as such and back taxes + penalties paid.

I really hope a state tries that tack and succeeds at it, even without such a paper trail.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

vodkat posted:

why would a cult 1980s TV show directed by noted transcendental meditation guru David Lynch open up a restaurant in ur hometown? idgi

if that's what it was I would wind up living there in a vinyl booth with a Formica table

and they'd have the best drat coffee and cherry pie, and there's always music in the air

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Eric Schidt loll

the npr station here constantly advertises in between their segments how they are sponsored by "eric and wendy schmidt's schmidt foundation, blah blah blah blah blah, at theschmidt dot org" and every time i hear it i only hear "the poo poo .org"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

california?

mormon church has been behind bullshit snake oil medicine type poo poo from the start. especially since at least for a while they took banning alcohol and caffiene seriously - but it was ok to get them in the form of patent medicines in mormonland.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

born on a buy you posted:

jim harbaugh and it was laser tag

barney stinson, michigan man

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

eschaton posted:

they don't even have to do fleet average with that, they could do it literally for every driver, automatically.

but if they're computing what their drivers will make after all taxes are taken out and vehicle depreciation and insurance taken out and such, it leaves more of a paper trail for someone to turn around and say represents that they think of their drivers as employees and they should be reclassed as such and back taxes + penalties paid.

I really hope a state tries that tack and succeeds at it, even without such a paper trail.

this doesn't even count poo poo like wear and tear, cleaning barf/spilled drinks/blood/etc out of the backseat (taxi companies pay professional cleaners to do that), or the way your insurance is going to ream you senseless if you get in an accident and they find out you're an uber driver

the cost of the car itself is just the beginning

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

this doesn't even count poo poo like wear and tear, cleaning barf/spilled drinks/blood/etc out of the backseat (taxi companies pay professional cleaners to do that), or the way your insurance is going to ream you senseless if you get in an accident and they find out you're an uber driver

the cost of the car itself is just the beginning

Or any allowances/per diem for a meal, uniform cleaning, car cleaning, and incidentals (paper towel, tissues, vomit bags...) :newlol:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qirex posted:

carl icahn is an old school corporate raider where he buys enough of a companyto make a nuisance of himself then demands that they immediately do things that will make the stock go up with no consideration for the future of the company beyond him making money in the next 2-8 quarters

in this case the thinking is that ebay isn't growing any more but paypal is so splitting them up will turn paypal into a stock market rocketship
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2014/09/30/ebay-and-paypal-to-split-carl-icahn-and-elon-musk-wish-comes-true/

tbh why does the stock go up when he does this though

like surely investors would realize that the changes will lead to the company circling the drain in a couple years and therefore it isn't worth as much now as a result

tech bubel

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

vodkat posted:

why would a famous gay bar for olds in sf open up a restaurant in ur hometown? idgi

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Progressive JPEG posted:

like surely investors would realize that the changes will lead to the company circling the drain in a couple years and therefore it isn't worth as much now as a result

tech bubel

yeah but they get money now, who cares what happens after they cash out

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

the CA DMV has told drivers they should register their vehicles as commercial

lol

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Progressive JPEG posted:

no. ebay is not going anywhere. they are firmly entrenched and have repeatedly taken on all challengers for close to two decades now. it's going up because de-coupling the two businesses allows them to strip down ebay to its bare essentials saving tons of money. the problem before was the paypal/ebay overlap caused tons of conflicts as paypal kept trying to make long-term strategic moves, develop new services or products, or whatever and ebay (donahoe) kept loving it up. paypal gets the intellectual talent required as well as the increased mobility needed to keep moving forwards while ebay is no longer paying for that high-end talent and can instead focus on turning every employee into a good little cog.

it's legit a good move for both businesses and icahn gets to profit because he was the one who aggravated the split by buying in to force it

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 23, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-profits--big-layoffs--amex--ebay-to-cut-jobs-154221346.html

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
donahoe is almost certainly going to get poo poo-canned after this is all done as well but you didn't hear that from me

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Necc0 posted:

no. ebay is not going anywhere. they are firmly entrenched and have repeatedly taken on all challengers for close to two decades now. it's going up because de-coupling the two businesses allows them to strip down ebay to its bare essentials saving tons of money. the problem before was the paypal/ebay overlap caused tons of conflicts as paypal kept trying to make long-term strategic moves, develop new services or products, or whatever and ebay (donahoe) kept loving it up. paypal gets the intellectual talent required as well as the increased mobility needed to keep moving forwards while ebay is no longer paying for that high-end talent and can instead focus on turning every employee into a good little cog.

it's legit a good move for both businesses and icahn gets to profit because he was the one who aggravated the split by buying in to force it

PayPal has Douglas Crockford

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Chill Callahan posted:

PayPal has Douglas Crockford

huh. i thought he was at yahoo, did he move in the last few years or something?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

dudes that are all "so let me lay it down for you here's how the biz works" and have intimate details of the tipping and scheduling systems skeeve me out

you can get a half-and-half for like $60 if you're cool

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

uber just applied for a taxi license in india

also, people are summoning uber drivers to jump their cars or let them borrow the uber driver's car to pass dmv tests lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
uber claims to have made $500 million in revenues in san francisco last year. that's $597 per capita.

$597 per person in san francisco, $597 for every man, woman, and child. how on earth are people spending this much money on cabs? and WHY ?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

uber claims to have made $500 million in revenues in san francisco last year. that's $597 per capita.

$597 per person in san francisco, $597 for every man, woman, and child. how on earth are people spending this much money on cabs? and WHY ?

Because they're wealthy, and wealth breeds frivolity.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hmmmmmm

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

maybe they're including business deals they made, like integrating with some other stupid service :shrug:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the npr station here constantly advertises in between their segments how they are sponsored by "eric and wendy schmidt's schmidt foundation, blah blah blah blah blah, at theschmidt dot org" and every time i hear it i only hear "the poo poo .org"

NPR's "editorial independence" has been a lie for a very long time now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it likely includes visitors arriving at sfo

every visiting exec to my office takes uber to and from the airport

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the bay area has a population of 7 million, so maybe that's the correct measure, so you'd be looking at "just" 71$ per capita, which is a lot more reasonable

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i guess box went public today

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/online-storage-company-box-has-strong-debut-in-first-day-of-trading/

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I still don't know what Box is or does

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

triple sulk posted:

I still don't know what Box is or does
cloud storage in the wein of dropbox et al

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ok so I just looked and it's basically dropbox?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

How the gently caress are they planning on overtaking Dropbox, by having a shorter name?

Time to buy some of that stock I guess if they're going to pump and dump it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

triple sulk posted:

Ok so I just looked and it's basically dropbox?

with the magic words "For The Enterprise" appended next to it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

dropbox made the mistake of focusing on being user-friendly. box is it department-friendly.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Now making an initial public offering: your mom's box

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

Now making an initial public offering: your mom's box

Considering that my posting came from it, I'd probably short it!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

qirex posted:

the CA DMV has told drivers they should register their vehicles as commercial

lol i wonder what specific loophole they're trying to exploit requires this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

lol i wonder what specific loophole they're trying to exploit requires this

i'd imagine that if drivers start classifying their cars for commercial use, then there might be some increased regulation uber could face, or the increased costs of insurance for commercial vehicles might make it public that the drivers are getting hosed.

the san francisco uber numbers blow my mind, they must include SFO trips or the bay area or something. i know a LOT of people are supposed to be ubering everywhere, it's pretty much "expected" that if you're dating in SF, you send an uber to pick up your date, etc, but i only know two people who use uber, one of them stopped ages ago, and the other only uses it because uber is a sponsor for the organization she works for. anyone i know who gets rides ordered uses lyft or taxis.

re: box:

quote:

Back in July 2014 Box raised $150 million in new funding. More than half of that $150 million will leave the building after nine months of operations.

Now they're doing an IPO, because — no poo poo! — they need more cash!

They aren't going to raise another dime from private investors at the valuation of $2.4 billion, which was the valuation of their last round.

If their revenue is $240 million for the year and their expense is $360 million, losing $120 million – who would invest at that valuation?

Enter the greater fool of investing: The Public Market. Mom and pop, get your orders in with Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan or Credit Suisse for those Box shares. It's a great deal!

http://valleywag.gawker.com/vulture-capitalist-avoid-that-box-ipo-1681322525/+danlyons

• Locked thread