Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I totally believe you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:cry:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Yes plz

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

Great news everyone! Jazz just told me it is all done and he is finishing up the macros part now!

I said it was "almost" all done

Give me another two weeks plz, tia

seriously we will be running the site on HTTPS next week

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
https! so fancy!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I said it was "almost" all done

Give me another two weeks plz, tia

seriously we will be running the site on HTTPS next week

Oh no, now I won't be able to phish combat builds

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Tunicate posted:

Oh no, now I won't be able to phish combat builds

Hmm... What's the closest thing we can have to a fish combat build? Murmillo-style with a shield, short sword, greaves, breastplate and helm?

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

AJ_Impy posted:

Hmm... What's the closest thing we can have to a fish combat build? Murmillo-style with a shield, short sword, greaves, breastplate and helm?
It menaces with spikes of fish
:iit:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

Could be a sunfish build. Troll with 0 levels of anything, and then somehow just be made to stand there like an idiot until he dies.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

AJ_Impy posted:

Well, if we had nets and tridents, a Retiarius wouldn't be too hard.
Y'know, if you could get past the whole "dishonourable scum" bit.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Could be a sunfish build. Troll with 0 levels of anything, and then somehow just be made to stand there like an idiot until he dies.

So functionally equivalent to most of my builds, got it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Have any sick highlights for the next version, Jazzimus Prime?

Also, we should probably have a new thread.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

jon joe posted:

Have any sick highlights for the next version, Jazzimus Prime?

I guess that's what I'll be spending the weekend and this next week trying to figure out.

We have https on the site now though. Also it's running CentOS 7 instead of 2.3 or whatever the hell archaic version it was running before.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I *think* I have converted all of the raw files and settings to the latest version of Dwarf Fortress. I still need to do some more testing to make sure it all works.

If anyone wants to help out with testing, you can let me know if your old macros still work on the new version:

https://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/df_43_05_arena.zip

Hopefully by sometime next week we can start a new tournament if the commissioners are still up for it.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Jazzimus Prime posted:

We have https on the site now though.

Arena Plan: Cathode posted:

Plan A: Launch man-in-the-middle attack to intercept packets containing Jon Joe's next DFArena build
Plan B: Launch SQL injection attack to read database entries containing Jon Joe's next DFArena build
Plan C: Launch cold-boot attack to read ram sticks containing Jon Joe's next DFArena build
Plan Z: Learn something, anything, about Dwarf Fortress and develop own competitive DFArena build

This is bad news but I still have some options left.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That last option is a fool's errand and will never work.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Well, obviously.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The new arena version still has all the misc creature materials, like 'toad leather' and stuff - do we want to go down to just having generic "leather" material for arena fights to make the logs a little slimmer.

EDIT: wow, new version is a lot more brutal, I just tried a match and it got decided by two solid pages of eyegouging.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 25, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
New version is VERY fun. Lots of fun ways to exploit the new combat AI, along with absolute brutality in all aspects.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jon joe posted:

Lots of fun ways to exploit the new combat AI, along with absolute brutality in all aspects.

For example, if you name your gladiator 'not in the face', the combat AI will automatically target all shots at the face.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Cathode Raymond posted:

This is bad news but I still have some options left.

Plan B: Launch SQL injection attack to read database entries containing Jon Joe's next DFArena build
50,000 dorfbux to you goon sire if you can srsly get SQL Injection to work. I designed all of the database interfaces to the site with SQL injection in mind, but one can never be too careful, and also everything gets backed up to *THE CLOUD* every few hours just in case somebody breaks something, so I'm not going to punish anyone for being just a little too clever. The hosting provider might actually intercept any Little Bobby Tables shenanigans before they even reach the PHP code, but by all means, please feel free to try!

I'm aware that your post was almost certainly a joke but it's expensive as hell to get information security consultants to review a website as part of their job, so if you're willing to do it for free I promise I won't sue you

Tunicate posted:

The new arena version still has all the misc creature materials, like 'toad leather' and stuff - do we want to go down to just having generic "leather" material for arena fights to make the logs a little slimmer.

The macros generated by the site only generate cow leather, so that's not an issue unless a commissioner is willing to humor someone's grudge against a certain creature or a certain (fantasy) race*.

*NOTE: Although I am a strong believer in all sorts of free speech, real-world racism is very very strongly frowned-upon in this thread. Fantasy racism against fantasy races, however, is most welcome! Please go ahead and make all the jokes you want about those drat tree-hugging elves in particular. This ain't Elf Fortress, you know.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Would it be possible to add the Observer skill as a purchasable one for this version? It has marginal combat utility.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm really pleased that this is coming back again. It's really cool how this never seems to die, everyone always crawls back out of the woodwork when a new version comes out.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It more or less crawls out of the sewage as opposed to the woodwork.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
IIrc, the relevant combat related changes in this version are attack momentum/damage carrying through to adjacent body parts, the AI being smart enough to pull helmets off of unconscious foes before crushing their heads, and weapon and armour degradation, right? Anything I missed?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Jazzimus Prime posted:

50,000 dorfbux to you goon sire if you can srsly get SQL Injection to work. I designed all of the database interfaces to the site with SQL injection in mind, but one can never be too careful, and also everything gets backed up to *THE CLOUD* every few hours just in case somebody breaks something, so I'm not going to punish anyone for being just a little too clever. The hosting provider might actually intercept any Little Bobby Tables shenanigans before they even reach the PHP code, but by all means, please feel free to try!

I'm aware that your post was almost certainly a joke but it's expensive as hell to get information security consultants to review a website as part of their job, so if you're willing to do it for free I promise I won't sue you

*sigh*

Plan A: Launch man-in-the-middle attack to intercept packets containing Jon Joe's next DFArena build
Plan C: Launch cold-boot attack to read ram sticks containing Jon Joe's next DFArena build
Plan Z: Learn something, anything, about Dwarf Fortress and develop own competitive DFArena build

Oh Cathode, when will you catch a break.

I know it's expensive and impractical to get a security consultant to go over things, we have to contract that stuff out where I work. I don't actually know that much about it.

Mygna posted:

IIrc, the relevant combat related changes in this version are attack momentum/damage carrying through to adjacent body parts, the AI being smart enough to pull helmets off of unconscious foes before crushing their heads, and weapon and armour degradation, right? Anything I missed?

Music! I'm hoping music will be a game changer. I'm going to get started on a Bardbold build.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The macros generated by the site only generate cow leather, so that's not an issue unless a commissioner is willing to humor someone's grudge against a certain creature or a certain (fantasy) race*.

Knowing DF, leather from different species probably has different stats, right?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

Knowing DF, leather from different species probably has different stats, right?

Actually, it doesn't look like there is anything in the raws to give different stats to different types of leather.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The system's set up to do it, but Toady just defaulted everything to the same LEATHER template out of laziness (much the same reason why melting points used to be so borked until some Bay12 forumite redid them all and sent it in). Difficult to blame him, when he's so eager to get so many fascinating features going - it is just another placeholder.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Actually, it doesn't look like there is anything in the raws to give different stats to different types of leather.

Comedy option, give everyone the leather corresponding to their previous gladiator. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gnoman posted:

The system's set up to do it, but Toady just defaulted everything to the same LEATHER template out of laziness (much the same reason why melting points used to be so borked until some Bay12 forumite redid them all and sent it in). Difficult to blame him, when he's so eager to get so many fascinating features going - it is just another placeholder.

I think fixed temperature does get inherited (or used to, at least)

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Comedy option, give everyone the leather corresponding to their previous gladiator. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

I endorse this but I disagree that it is a comedy option. Wearing ex-gladiator leather is the closest former gladiators will ever come to being properly memorialized.

:rip: Jameson the Unruly. You wore so much copper armor, and now it's time for some strangler to wear you.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The macros are all working with the new version, but I think I still have to tweak a few things based on the results of the last tournament, which is something I had never gotten around to doing.

I remember whips needed to be improved.

jon joe posted:

Would it be possible to add the Observer skill as a purchasable one for this version? It has marginal combat utility.

Sure, we can do this, and probably make it one of the cheaper skills that a player might spend the last five or ten points on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Strangler 1 stabs Werewolf 1 in the upper body with her large oaken dagger, bruising the fat through the xlarge cow leather armorx!
Werewolf 1 misses Strangler 1!
Strangler 1 stabs Werewolf 1 in the right upper leg with her large oaken dagger, bruising the fat through the Xlarge cow leather armorX!
The force pulls the right hip!
Strangler 1 bites Werewolf 1 in the tongue, tearing the left cheek's skin!
Strangler 1 latches on firmly!
Werewolf 1 breaks the grip of Strangler 1's teeth on Werewolf 1's tongue.
Strangler 1 stabs Werewolf 1 in the lower body with her large oaken dagger, bruising the fat through the Xlarge cow leather armorX!
Strangler 1 stabs Werewolf 1 in the left hand with her large oaken dagger, bruising the muscle through the XXlarge cow leather left gloveXX!
The XXlarge cow leather left gloveXX breaks!
The force pulls the left wrist, bruising the muscle and bruising the muscle!
Strangler 1 slashes Werewolf 1 in the tail with her large oaken dagger, bruising the muscle through the XXlarge cow leather armorXX!
Strangler 1 strikes Werewolf 1 in the right eye tooth with the pommel of her large oaken dagger, but the attack glances away!
The force bends the head!
Werewolf 1 passes out from exhaustion.
Strangler 1 stabs Werewolf 1 in the head with her large oaken dagger, but the attack is deflected by Werewolf 1's large bronze helm!
The force pulls the neck, tearing apart the skin!
Strangler 1 grabs Werewolf 1 by the large bronze helm with her first left hand!
Strangler 1 tries to remove the large bronze helm.
Strangler 1 gains possession of the large bronze helm.

Strangler 1 stabs Werewolf 1 in the head with her large oaken dagger, tearing the muscle!
The force pulls the neck!
Strangler 1 slashes Werewolf 1 in the head with her large oaken dagger, tearing apart the skin and bruising the fat!
The force twists the neck, bruising the skin!
repeat x 50

Strangler 1 stabs Werewolf 1 in the head with her large oaken dagger and the injured part is cloven asunder!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
Werewolf 1 has been struck down.

Some interesting results. Stabbing a person to death with a wooden dagger still takes a long rear end time though.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The end of the Homer Simpson method of winning!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I still want to implement a ranged weapon revamp. Shoot me the tournament files when it's presentable and I'll see if my modified weapons make an interesting adjustment to the game.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017
Any plans to remove [SHAPED] from caps so you can stack them with helms again? The OP still mentions being able to put those together in the armour section.

Then you can make your opponent pull off THREE things before crushing your skull. :shepface:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Sure, we can do this, and probably make it one of the cheaper skills that a player might spend the last five or ten points on.

My new combatant will represent the UN human rights commission as a legendary observer.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ZeeToo posted:

I still want to implement a ranged weapon revamp. Shoot me the tournament files when it's presentable and I'll see if my modified weapons make an interesting adjustment to the game.

For the last time ZeeToo, crossbow bolts that are actually bees are not a good idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Disagree.

Have a random chance of being deathly allergic to bee stings on character creation too.