Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

curious posted:

edit: ps. did parts of this game remind anyone else of the Peter Watts book “Starfish”?

I name my first thermal installation "Beebee Station," though it's usually one of the Shallows vents so the name isn't terribly accurate. Definitely going to give Starfish a re-read after I'm done with my current novel.

Also, I haven't knocked over all of the wrecks or scoured the seabed, so I don't have the Cyclops but I just completed a thermal-powered moonpool/room/scanner room base with a view of the Lost River ray tree and when I play next I'm heading into the Inactive Lava Zone. The default-range scanner holo looks pretty loving awesome, looking forward to getting all the upgrades installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

The Prawn is a sitting duck for Warpers, while the Cyclops is completely immune to them. Given how many entrances/exits to the Lost River require you to navigate terrain that's unfavorable to the Prawn while Warpers are present, and how exposed the terrain around the lava castle is, giving Warpers easy line of sight on you, taking the Cyclops will save you a ton of hassle.

Eh, the prawn's not really that vulnerable, stick a grapple on it (which you should have anyway if you're using it to travel) and you can fly through the river with ease.

Warpers aren't very dangerous and the prawn is so durable that it can escape or kill most anything you come across. The cyclops is a pain because it draws so much aggro and is so awkward to fix.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

curious posted:

This game was a lot of fun, and didn’t overstay it’s welcome. Hooray!

That's my sentiment and one of the reasons I'll probably end up coming back many more times (like I have in the past). It tells a story, has some survival and base building aspects, has some exploration, but doesn't try to drag any of these pieces out too far. Once one part gets boring there's another you can go run off and do.

I get a full meal out of it instead of too much of any one of its parts that I'll be dumb and burn myself out on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh the person who was having trouble with the cyclops running out of batteries, did you stick the engine efficiency upgrade you get out of the aurora in it? Because most people probably have that on hand and it supposedly makes the engine 3x more efficient, which would explain the disparity.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For the first time I am going to build a thermal plant, but all the vents i have found so far are either in the safe shallows or surrounded by dangerous predators. Is there any special place that people usually build there base at? Preferrably some place i can go with my seamoth.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oasx posted:

For the first time I am going to build a thermal plant, but all the vents i have found so far are either in the safe shallows or surrounded by dangerous predators. Is there any special place that people usually build there base at? Preferrably some place i can go with my seamoth.
Take a quick trip to the dunes, or other places that have power transmitter spawns. Which have a less absurd crafting cost of only 1 titanium and 1 gold. It's how I always build at my favored cliffside at the edge of the safe shallows about 200m away from a thermal vent tucked down in a vertical shaft cave.

Keep in mind that transmitters have an incredibly tiny range when it comes to attaching to the initial power sources. Even now I'll put one down with all the indicator lines, and once it finishes crafting it will decide one of my generators being 11 feet away instead of 10 feet away was too far after all. But follow up transmitters have a very generous range, so you will only need a handfull of them to cover hundreds of meters to relay power after the first one.

Don't build isolated thermals on top of foundations or it will be dumb and both the thermals and transmitters will go to the foundations (It's fine if it's actually attached to a base). Same deal for any base objects between your power objects and your end destination. Power leads are very basic and will snap only to the one closest object to them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 5, 2018

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Typical Pubbie posted:

That's true, but the openable doors are usually hidden while the fake doors face outside. So for the first couple hours I just assumed wrecks couldn't be opened until I moved close enough to a real door for the game to prompt me.

Its a minor problem, but for a game as tactile as this it feels wrong to have phony doors.

Those wrecks tend to have vents or holes you can swim through though. Not everything needs an outright door.

Section Z posted:

Don't build isolated thermals on top of foundations or it will be dumb and both the thermals and transmitters will go to the foundations

This is not universally true

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Seriously, gently caress this game.

I was already terrified of the Giant rear end Super Shark Thing hanging out by the engines, so I went towards the bow to look for a new location for a shelter/staging ground. While I'm dicking around with the Habitat Builder a T-rex roars right in my ear and I'm missing 2/3rds of my health while I blindly flail around for my "get me the gently caress out of here" inflation hotkey. Said hotkey was bound to my Habitat Builder, so I watched the happy blue screen flicker on and off while I pissed myself.

T-rex Super Shark Thing didn't eat me for some reason. Building further down away from TRSST where the helpful robot said was more plant life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oasx posted:

The deeper areas tend to have them because you don't need them above 200m, solar works above that depth.

But the deeper area have them at fairly regular intervals. If you have the maximum depth upgrade I very much enjoy building at the very edge of its depth range in the lost river, there's a very convenient room which also links to the biggest tunnel down there and looks cool and is full of thermal vents.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 5, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Where should I put scanner outposts? I have the one at my main base in the shallows, and I just built one in the jellyfish caves to help me grab magnetite when I need it. Maybe one on or near the island too? How many scanner rooms (fully upgraded with range upgrades, obviously) in which locations would I need to cover the whole map?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pylons posted:

Where should I put scanner outposts? I have the one at my main base in the shallows, and I just built one in the jellyfish caves to help me grab magnetite when I need it. Maybe one on or near the island too? How many scanner rooms (fully upgraded with range upgrades, obviously) in which locations would I need to cover the whole map?

I keep a scanner room (plus upgrades), multi-purpose room, hatch, biofuel reactor, and some fuel in a locker just inside the hatch to my cyclops (literally on the wall just above the hatch, so I can grab it as I leave without looking to either side) and just put it all together whenever I feel like scanning.

I also have two permanent scanner rooms, and they are both incredibly useless, I just forgot to deconstruct them when I left so they are sitting off wherever, hahah.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I keep a scanner room (plus upgrades), multi-purpose room, hatch, biofuel reactor, and some fuel in a locker just inside the hatch to my cyclops (literally on the wall just above the hatch, so I can grab it as I leave without looking to either side) and just put it all together whenever I feel like scanning.

I also have two permanent scanner rooms, and they are both incredibly useless, I just forgot to deconstruct them when I left so they are sitting off wherever, hahah.

Actually kinda sounds like a better idea than permanent outposts. Thanks!

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
an adult ghost leviathan is warping in and out of the terrain like, 500m north of my lifepod, just at the edge of the kelp forest. i never went into the dead zone. reloading back to my last save and he's still there. he also ate my little derp ship i just upgraded to go level 3 depth. i murdered him with my basic rear end prawn with one grapple attachment.

Dom is Here fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 5, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Magus42 posted:

They're very distinct from the openable or laserable doors though.

Like this?

nah, that's just the blood kelp zone, which I think was already added when I started playing.

Bhodi posted:

It's a giant lava tube. They made it lead to an end-game area that has multiple openings. If you're trying to find it again, go to aurora's front damaged section and follow the direction the aurora is pointing.

oh wait, did they turn it into the mountains entrance for the Lost River?

I'm looking for a neat scenic view for my next base. I thought of the Koosh zone but I'd like a little more verticality in the environment. I guess the blood kelp but that's such a depressing region and the squids.... blegh. I can't do the 'shroom forest because I built one there on my last run and I'm shroomed out.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 5, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Holy poo poo, I just found a time capsule with a cyclops mk3 depth module, a seamoth mk3 depth module, a prawn suit mk2 depth module, and two ion batteries. Kinda going back and forth on whether to use them or stick them in a locker for backups.

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011
So whats the deal with time capsules, are the accepted ones placed into everyone's world or is it randomized? I have yet to find any.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

double nine posted:

I'm looking for a neat scenic view for my next base. I thought of the Koosh zone but I'd like a little more verticality in the environment. I guess the blood kelp but that's such a depressing region and the squids.... blegh. I can't do the 'shroom forest because I built one there on my last run and I'm shroomed out.

The Grand Reef can be really pretty with all the lights and poo poo. Plus lots of thermal vents

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lord Zedd posted:

So whats the deal with time capsules, are the accepted ones placed into everyone's world or is it randomized? I have yet to find any.

They are all over the place in mine but also really hard to spot. I think they are purely random in contents but specifically placed, probably you wont roll the dice on whats inside until you do is my guess

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

from the little I've found, if/when you complete the game you can build one and stick stuff in it. this gets uploaded to a website, ??? voted on ??, and can turn up in your game. Supposedly there are 40 predetermined locations where they can be found.

They tend to stick out because of a blue light, similar to the blue lights on the outside of corridors.

I've never found one in the early game areas, I found one in the mountains, another near the shroom forest, a third I think near the sparse reef.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 5, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

double nine posted:

oh wait, did they turn it into the mountains entrance for the Lost River?
The wiki says that tube goes directly into the magma zone where the power station is, but I haven't gone there in my current game yet to see.

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

Dienes posted:

So this game is awesome. Still - I have the ability to make scanners, and submarines, and mech diving suits and a 2D map is beyond our technology? I know its encouraging me to explore, but I am hating trying to navigate with only beacons.

It’s terrible nerd poo poo but you can sort of assume that the starting lifepod is roughly at (0,0,0) and then use the in-game compass, distance indicator and depth to project polar coordinates onto one of the 2d outline maps of the biomes from the wiki.

Angle from the origin is π+the heading of the lifepod, r is √(podDistance² - depth²). I might write some JavaScript to manage this.

Speaking of tools, I found this base building calculator. I think the numbers are a bit off the final release, but I fixed it up a bit and found it really helpful in making sure I only had to make one construction hauling trip to the cove in my cyclops.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I found a time capsule. Coordinates were: -621.5, -56.4, -420.9. have a few screens so you know what to look for.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Seems like they are much easier to spot at night without lights on.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

possibly, but given their relative rarity, good luck swimming/cruising around without your lights on and not colliding into everything. The Time Capsule was a joke item by the way. a water and a medkit.

Can someone else go to those coordinates and see if they find a time capsule as well? Would help determine if the locations are indeed preset.

Also I just went wiki-ing for something else and:

quote:

The Cuddle Fish is a friendly species of fauna that can only be seen by hatching one of the Cuddle Fish Eggs hidden in various locations.

motherfucker

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 6, 2018

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011

double nine posted:

possibly, but given their relative rarity, good luck swimming/cruising around without your lights on and not colliding into everything. The Time Capsule was a joke item by the way. a water and a medkit.

Can someone else go to those coordinates and see if they find a time capsule as well? Would help determine if the locations are indeed preset.

Also I just went wiki-ing for something else and:

motherfucker

Nothing for me at those coordinates/general area.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Lava zone Made it all the way down with my cyclops and my prawn didn't have depth 1 on it, so I had to find my way out. I guess it's back to the shallows to regroup, make more power cells (I got to base with <5% power) and try again

What, ironically, stopped me was lack of Titanium. I assume the next 1300+ deep hole is where I need to head to? I didn't see anything except a big kraken guy who wasn't aggressive (I got right up and scanned him) in the lava zone, but I did spot a way down past Cyclops crush depth.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
There is a lot of titanium down there back in the Lost River actually, but it's easy to miss. They are big nodes to be drilled with the PRAWN drill arm under the hazardous green brine. There's a lot of mineable nodes in the brine.

edit: or well actually i imagine the spawns of titanium nodes is subject to the same rng that the rest of the game is, so you could potentially be really unlucky and not have any down there

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 6, 2018

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol the sound designer's a hitler
https://kotaku.com/subnautica-dev-fired-over-hateful-statements-1822746373

ex sound designer now lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The lost river is probably the most resource diverse environment in the game, there's almost everything down there or nearby if you look around.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dongattack posted:

There is a lot of titanium down there back in the Lost River actually, but it's easy to miss. They are big nodes to be drilled with the PRAWN drill arm under the hazardous green brine. There's a lot of mineable nodes in the brine.

edit: or well actually i imagine the spawns of titanium nodes is subject to the same rng that the rest of the game is, so you could potentially be really unlucky and not have any down there

Yeah I was below my Prawn's crush depth, better to egress and re-equip.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hey, can you get to the lava zone from the aurora now? I've been trying to find the pit entrance again, and having no luck even with guides.

Did the devs change stuff for release?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Was he the composer too?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Was he the composer too?
Same name as the one on the album cover in the OST folder, yeah.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

grrr, i played this game for about 15 hours in the beta and stopped when i realized it can't really be replayed. so i started again after release. died 2 hours into a hardcore save, then 7 hours in to one. both times, 100% my fault. however, what's making me want to quit is that i beached a seamoth on the floating island that somehow is stuck in the terrain. i know it's there because i can see its lights literally from the enforcement platform at night, and i can see its beacon on my pda. i've lost 2 more seamoths since i beached that one and every time i've had to build a new mobile vehicle bay because the one i built the previous seamoth with just doesn't work- i have the mats, i click the button, nothing happens.

can't find any console commands that work on seamoths. starting to get pissed. i dont want to have to rebuild a bay too every time i lose a vehicle...

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

boar guy posted:

grrr, i played this game for about 15 hours in the beta and stopped when i realized it can't really be replayed. so i started again after release. died 2 hours into a hardcore save, then 7 hours in to one. both times, 100% my fault. however, what's making me want to quit is that i beached a seamoth on the floating island that somehow is stuck in the terrain. i know it's there because i can see its lights literally from the enforcement platform at night, and i can see its beacon on my pda. i've lost 2 more seamoths since i beached that one and every time i've had to build a new mobile vehicle bay because the one i built the previous seamoth with just doesn't work- i have the mats, i click the button, nothing happens.

can't find any console commands that work on seamoths. starting to get pissed. i dont want to have to rebuild a bay too every time i lose a vehicle...

Hardcore mode is very bad.

Survival mode is also bad but at least it doesnt delete your save when you die.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

420 Gank Mid posted:

Hardcore mode is very bad.

Survival mode is also bad but at least it doesnt delete your save when you die.

I would have had a very short hardcore mode experience if that was my first post launch game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've had to rely on building a hallway with a hatch, leaping inside, suffocating, then respawning with full oxygen in the same spot a couple times, so hardcore definitely isn't for me

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

Same name as the one on the album cover in the OST folder, yeah.

that's a shame. I like the game's soundtrack.

never meet your heroes because they're probably alt righters

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the wagner of our generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How badly did I sequence break by looking up the code to the Captain's quarters in the Aurora after I had opened up everything else? I was just being lazy and wanted to avoid having to remember to come back to the Aurora to open one locked door.