Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Shower thoughts:

Plants perform photosynthesis by absorbing sunlight and using it to create sugar.

By having the colour green the leaves must be reflecting some of the spectrum of sunlight, losing potential energy that the plant could be using.

Why haven't all plants evolved to be black, absorbing more sunlight to maximize their energy intake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pigments that absorb energy efficiently are really complex and difficult to arrive at by random mutation, I believe the current theory is that chlorophyll evolved once in the entire timespan of life on Earth and has spread since.

There are I believe certain rare plant strains with black pigments, but most of the visible spectrum is indeed covered (cholorphyll absorbs red and blue light, reflecting green in the middle, while other pigments absorb small amounts of green light.) Outside of visible, lower-frequency photons don't have enough energy to be worth harvesting, while higher-frequency (primarily UV, with some x-ray and gamma) are so energetic they cause tissue damage.

The reason they're not more efficient is that they're efficient enough to reproduce, and that's all the "natural selection" portion of evolutionary mechanisms select for. Numbers I find are about .2% conversion efficiency from radiant to chemical energy for plants on average, up to about 8% peak for cultivated strains like sugarcane. It's dismally low compared to even solar panels, but it's enough to get the job done, so plants don't naturally evolve the (more complex and likely energy-intensive to produce) sorts of traits that would boost photosynthetic efficiency above that.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Pigments that absorb energy efficiently are really complex and difficult to arrive at by random mutation, I believe the current theory is that chlorophyll evolved once in the entire timespan of life on Earth and has spread since.

There are I believe certain rare plant strains with black pigments, but most of the visible spectrum is indeed covered (cholorphyll absorbs red and blue light, reflecting green in the middle, while other pigments absorb small amounts of green light.) Outside of visible, lower-frequency photons don't have enough energy to be worth harvesting, while higher-frequency (primarily UV, with some x-ray and gamma) are so energetic they cause tissue damage.

The reason they're not more efficient is that they're efficient enough to reproduce, and that's all the "natural selection" portion of evolutionary mechanisms select for. Numbers I find are about .2% conversion efficiency from radiant to chemical energy for plants on average, up to about 8% peak for cultivated strains like sugarcane. It's dismally low compared to even solar panels, but it's enough to get the job done, so plants don't naturally evolve the (more complex and likely energy-intensive to produce) sorts of traits that would boost photosynthetic efficiency above that.

To be fair, once photosynthesis popped up, it was a really nasty way to ensure survival of the fittest, since at the time chlorophyll producing plants started farting Oxygen, it was essentially germs spewing out poison gasses and committing what we would think of as warcrimes by polluting the atmosphere with O2. Oxygen is a fairly reactive gas, not quite as bad as Fluorine or Chlorine, but pumping tons of Oxygen into the air probably lead to the Earth's first mass extinction event.

It also probably lead to the formation of multicelular organisms. So you know, no harm no foul.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Matte black plants would be the best for absorbing photons but in most places of the earth they would get too hot for at least part of the year for the enzymes that control photosynthesis to still work. Over 40°C the enzymes lose efficiency and past a certain point I can't remember off hand they denature and then the plant will die. If you've ever touched a black car that has sat in the sun you know how hot surfaces like that can get.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Memento posted:

Matte black plants would be the best for absorbing photons but in most places of the earth they would get too hot for at least part of the year for the enzymes that control photosynthesis to still work. Over 40°C the enzymes lose efficiency and past a certain point I can't remember off hand they denature and then the plant will die. If you've ever touched a black car that has sat in the sun you know how hot surfaces like that can get.

I was under the impression that the 'over 40 degrees' only applies to human enzymes. The exact temperature will depend on the organism (things with lower body temperatures will have lower maximum temperatures). There's no reason to assume 40C would be the maximum temperature for all of them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Namarrgon posted:

I was under the impression that the 'over 40 degrees' only applies to human enzymes. The exact temperature will depend on the organism (things with lower body temperatures will have lower maximum temperatures). There's no reason to assume 40C would be the maximum temperature for all of them.

Plant enzymes are just as susceptible to temperature-driven denaturing. Phone posting right now but the search term you're after is "temperature denaturation of RuBisCo activase". There's an (I think) Eckhardt paper that is pretty good from (I think) around the mid-late 90s.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Memento posted:

Plant enzymes are just as susceptible to temperature-driven denaturing. Phone posting right now but the search term you're after is "temperature denaturation of RuBisCo activase". There's an (I think) Eckhardt paper that is pretty good from (I think) around the mid-late 90s.

Found it. Dangerous temperatures were around 55C and 33C for Rubisco and Rubisco activase respectively.

Nevertheless, there is no reason why an enzyme couldn't have evolved to work in higher temperatures, as we have organisms that can survive boiling conditions. So that only moves the question around a bit.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I guess the same reason any other beneficial genetic anomaly never evolved. The random DNA mutant lottery never produced a black plant, or if it existed it wasn't better enough at being a plant for its mutation to propagate?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's brother is my brother-in-law. Is there an English term for his wife? Is she my sister-in-law?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

hooah posted:

My wife's brother is my brother-in-law. Is there an English term for his wife? Is she my sister-in-law?

Co-sister-in-law?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hooah posted:

Would that imply they are siblings? :banjo:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Wedemeyer posted:

Why do royal bedrooms sometimes have those tiny dumb fences around the bed area?

Example: http://daughterofchaos.tumblr.com/image/135916088594

These are places where the public is allowed.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Memento posted:

The sun produces a majority of green photons. This is why green is an advantageous color.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

The sun produces a majority of green photons. This is why green is an advantageous color.

We see green because it is reflected. The plant doesn't use it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Mak0rz posted:

We see green because it is reflected. The plant doesn't use it.

These two posts are, almost word-for-word, one of the examples of "unanswered questions in science" that Carl Sagan gave in his book The Demon-Haunted World (which is an awesome book and well worth tracking down).

I honestly don't know if progress has been made on the matter in the 20 years since he wrote the book; I'm not a plantpigmentevolutionologist, even in my spare time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Namarrgon posted:

Found it. Dangerous temperatures were around 55C and 33C for Rubisco and Rubisco activase respectively.

Nevertheless, there is no reason why an enzyme couldn't have evolved to work in higher temperatures, as we have organisms that can survive boiling conditions. So that only moves the question around a bit.

Well, there is a good reason, the "green" plants reproduced well enough that they nudged out the other plants. This has been covered.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Is it possible to hide certain subforums? E.g. FYAD since it's users and moderators are apparently fuckwits who don't care about spoiling one of the biggest movies of the decade.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Shakugan posted:

Is it possible to hide certain subforums? E.g. FYAD since it's users and moderators are apparently fuckwits who don't care about spoiling one of the biggest movies of the decade.

Welcome to something awful dot com.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Welcome to something awful dot com.

Something Awful is generally much better than 4-chan, Reddit and the like, since its dickheads are contained to two forums (GBS and FYAD) by generally strict moderating. It shouldn't be an expected thing that a moderator would allow that forum title.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

Thanks for confirming it rear end in a top hat.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

uBlock allows me to block specific elements of a website, in this case the FYAD title.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like to take my dickheads in moderation.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What did it say?

edit: spoiler it of course, I'm just curious, I have no interest in the movie

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shakugan posted:

If you're up for learning a new skill, it shouldn't be too hard to make yourself a greasemonkey script that will hide the table row that shows FYAD on the forums list page.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
snape kills dumbledore

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any current way to get AMC a la carte? Preferably watchable with a PS4 or Chromcast.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Soiled Meat

Shakugan posted:

Oh, I know the answer to this one!

"You have so much spare time that you are able to care about movies, and you squander it getting angry about movies."

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any current way to get AMC a la carte? Preferably watchable with a PS4 or Chromcast.

It's available among other channels via Sling ($20/mo)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

You can also buy most shows on Amazon and stream them on your PS4/Chromecast, if that's your thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shakugan posted:

If you want to never see the name, use adblock plus or ublock origin to block the link on the forums main page. Won't help you for if you ever use the forum selector drop down I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mlnhd posted:

It's available among other channels via Sling ($20/mo)

I signed up for the free trial and do they not keep an on demand library? This service seems bad.

I'm basically trying to catch up on TWD without having to drop like $50 for the whole season and that spinoff show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

I think the closest may be "sister-in-law by marriage", but English generally doesn't have those neat, efficient words for describing how someone is related to you that some languages have, you generally just have to explain it long form, like "my wife's brother's wife".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tiggum posted:

I think the closest may be "sister-in-law by marriage", but English generally doesn't have those neat, efficient words for describing how someone is related to you that some languages have, you generally just have to explain it long form, like "my wife's brother's wife".

You could always just say "my brother in law's wife."

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I'm having a hard time figuring out what a shearling rug is. I assumed it was a skinned sheep with the coat still attached and the hide tanned on the other side but when I look up shearling it says that it is from a sheep that has been shorn once. Is their coat attached to some other type of leather or material?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I signed up for the free trial and do they not keep an on demand library? This service seems bad.

I'm basically trying to catch up on TWD without having to drop like $50 for the whole season and that spinoff show.

Sling does not have on demand. It's a replacement for regular cable TV and the price reflects that.

If it had an on demand library the. It would just be another Hulu at that point.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

punch drunk posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out what a shearling rug is. I assumed it was a skinned sheep with the coat still attached and the hide tanned on the other side but when I look up shearling it says that it is from a sheep that has been shorn once. Is their coat attached to some other type of leather or material?

It's what you immediately assumed. Shearling is used to date the age of the sheep it's made from, it's like the difference between "lamb" and "mutton". A shearling rug is a sheepskin rug that's been made from a sheep between one and two years old. There's a good rundown on it here, if you want more information.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

You can catch every season except the current one (6) on Netflix. If you obtain season 6 legally, you're probably going to end up paying about that much no matter how you do it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Are there any U.S. zoos with quokkas? Is there a site that catalogs where you can find certain animals?

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I'm having serious difficulty uploading a gif into a thread. I found one on tumblr that I'm trying to post but I can't figure it out can someone walk me through this cause I'm a retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Grody posted:

I'm having serious difficulty uploading a gif into a thread. I found one on tumblr that I'm trying to post but I can't figure it out can someone walk me through this cause I'm a retard

Save the picture to a local drive.
Open a web browser and surf your way to imgur.com.
Upload (you can literally drag the file from Windows Explorer to the imgur browser window, it will begin the upload process...I think there is also an Upload link somewhere).
Copy the BBCode link once it is uploaded, paste into your post. If the dimensions of the image are large you can add a "t" before the "img" in the opening and closing tags so it reads
code:
[timg]http://www.imgur.com/randomlettersforboringpicture.gif[/timg]
and it will put a nice expandable pic in the post.

If none of this works just post the link here and I'll give you an imgur link, provided it's not too large, the original file is downloadable, etc.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 28, 2015