Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I forgot to check last night is DUSK fully out now?
Halloween was always a placeholder date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh wow, I used to have a lot of trouble even getting to the second area in Strife and now just one lucky run and now I'm taking trains between levels and poo poo. Alright I'm liking the art design down here.

Also I found this on a computer:

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Ularg posted:

Oh wow, I used to have a lot of trouble even getting to the second area in Strife

Is this a running gag ITT yet?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Ularg posted:

Oh wow, I used to have a lot of trouble even getting to the second area in Strife

I don't know why anybody would have trouble with this, the next area is right through here:

... We are talking about Strife, right?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

... We are talking about Strife, right?

Certainly doesn't get mentioned enough, game is awesome. Probably my favourite Doom engine game that's not Doom

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ularg posted:

Oh wow, I used to have a lot of trouble even getting to the second area in Strife and now just one lucky run and now I'm taking trains between levels and poo poo. Alright I'm liking the art design down here.

Also I found this on a computer:

There are a few others, including the classic "pipes" screensaver. I've lost count of the times I've shot and thrown explosives at those computers expecting something unknowable to happen.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
God damnit

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In other news, Brutal Doom v21 Public Beta is out. It's not very good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah it's a shame so many of these retro games go for the permanent bunny hopping because that poo poo sucks - they might as well force you to run diagonally at all times or grind against walls at an angle to move faster. Give me movement that feels good and fast without constant bouncing or engine exploits, like Doom and Hexen. Dusk at least is actually balanced for non-bunnyhopping so that's something I guess.

Oh oh! Add stair jumps and ramp jumps while you're at it! I'd love to do that poo poo in a good SP FPS.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Convex posted:

Certainly doesn't get mentioned enough, game is awesome. Probably my favourite Doom engine game that's not Doom

It's a shame it didn't make as big of a splash as it should have. The game still holds up rather well even to this day.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

In other news, Brutal Doom v21 Public Beta is out. It's not very good.

What's not good about it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's not good about it?
Very buggy, some very poorly implemented ideas, and some stuff from previous versions has been actively made worse (the blood stains now look like the MS Paint spraycan tool)

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/925925045259530240

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Lmfao I saw this on the doomtxt Twitter and didn't realize what this was from

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The only thing I ever liked about Brutal Doom was replacing the pistol with something enjoyable to use. Everything else is bad or done better elsewhere.

YOU PIECE OF loving poo poo STRAFE. I had this sound bug that just kept playing no matter where I went in the level. "Fine, I'll just save and reload" and I got to the end of the level and saved. Restarted. Oh now I'm on the next level and enemies are already hitting me. The door isn't even open yet and I'm taking damage and boom I'm dead before I got control of the character basically.

Also, holy loving hell LET ME SKIP THE XP SCREEN!

Ularg fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 2, 2017

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the original danny glover 'gently caress yourself' middle finger command was the best part of brutal doom

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dude really just needs to stop updating it already. I mean I guess I can't tell him what to do with his free time if he really still enjoys it, I just personally don't see the point. It was a fine mod when it first came out, and very few of the updates have improved it.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Ularg posted:

The only thing I ever liked about Brutal Doom was replacing the pistol with something enjoyable to use. Everything else is bad or done better elsewhere.

YOU PIECE OF loving poo poo STRAFE. I had this sound bug that just kept playing no matter where I went in the level. "Fine, I'll just save and reload" and I got to the end of the level and saved. Restarted. Oh now I'm on the next level and enemies are already hitting me. The door isn't even open yet and I'm taking damage and boom I'm dead before I got control of the character basically.

Also, holy loving hell LET ME SKIP THE XP SCREEN!

For what it's worth, they have an email address you can send feedback to (feedback at pixeltitans dot com, I believe?)

I sent them a message that basically said "hey the game has legit gone from one of my biggest let downs to one of my go-to-games, but saving is a death trap right now!"

Apparently that email address is getting hit up quite a bit, because it got an auto-reply a bit later, with the typical canned response of "hey our poo poo is getting hosed, but we're reading everything, thanks"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
That's good for them. Because despite still not being able to find a secret other than that one time I fell through the world I've warmed up to the game quickly.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I like Serious Sam First Encounter for its gunplay. But really cannot stand how they spawn enemies out of thin air.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ularg posted:

I like Serious Sam First Encounter for its gunplay. But really cannot stand how they spawn enemies out of thin air.

To be fair SS1 was the first high profile game to try that arena style of gameplay, so it kinda gets a pass from me. Nothing like thinking you've cleared out an area only to pick up a crescendo of "aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" as a swarm of bombers run over the hill :black101:

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
My favorite quirk of the original Serious Sam is that you can get telefragged by spawning items.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wait what how did I never know that? Was that patched out?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Glagha posted:

Wait what how did I never know that? Was that patched out?
I don't think so, IIRC they "fixed" it by making all spawned-in items spawn above the where the player's head would be at standing height and drop down to the ground, to minimise the chances of having both objects occupy the same place at the same moment.

Videogames are difficult to make, even when you're not in a country that had been in a war a few years prior.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If we're talking about the original UT'99, I'm assuming it's the version that comes with all of the "Community Bonus Packs" and stuff like ChaosUT. In addition to that, a few things I'd recommend getting:

Unreal4Ever: One of the larger and more popular mods in its day, this mod adds new player models, classes, a ton of diverse weapons, maps, and game modes--including a really fun "Invasion" mod where everybody has to stop an invasion by destroying gates that have randomly appeared on the map, which are spawning an endless stream of enemies--to the game. I don't have UT'99 installed without it.

Nali Weapons 3 Final: If I remember correctly, this is just a weapon pack--but it's a pack of some of the best-looking, multi-function weapons you'll find in a UT'99 mod. Like, there's a freeze gun that actually creates little ice platforms when used on water. Lots of stuff to choose from here when you get bored with the vanilla weapons.

Tally Ho!: A gametype wherein a regular map is populated with a zoo of alien creatures, and players/bots are tasked with killing them for points. Occasionally, super-powerful enemies/bosses spawn for bonus points, and there's some system of not killing fellow players (which puts a bounty on your head, leading to players getting points for hunting you down). This game mode is pure, overstimulating chaos, and it feels like ten million things are going on simultaneously.

WORM: Not a mod, per se, as a utility that lets you pull weapons and items from different mods and combine them into a single match. Really nice when you want to take guns from a few different mods and combine them with the vanilla weapons to mix things up.

Freeze Tag. Unfortunately, I'm having a hell of a time finding a download link for it, but it's a game mode where knocking somebody down to 0 health freezes them, and their teammates have to stand next to them for a few seconds to "thaw" them out. The victor is the team that freezes everybody else first. Surprisingly, the bots play really well with this, which is why it remains a great game mode to this day. Try finding this one.

Dumb question, how do I run the umod files?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

I don't think so, IIRC they "fixed" it by making all spawned-in items spawn above the where the player's head would be at standing height and drop down to the ground, to minimise the chances of having both objects occupy the same place at the same moment.

Videogames are difficult to make, even when you're not in a country that had been in a war a few years prior.

Ah, so THAT'S why everything falls when spawning.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MariusLecter posted:

Dumb question, how do I run the umod files?

drat that's a good question and I have completely forgotten about the finer points of doing that, but this consolidated guide should help answer your question.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't mind the arenas. It's walking into a door way for those skeleton fuckers to pop out of thin air right behind me and a scorpion guy right in front of me so either I kill him and get skeleton-hosed from behind or turn around and get hosed the other way.

Also gently caress that frog boss.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ularg posted:

I don't mind the arenas. It's walking into a door way for those skeleton fuckers to pop out of thin air right behind me and a scorpion guy right in front of me so either I kill him and get skeleton-hosed from behind or turn around and get hosed the other way.

Also gently caress that frog boss.

I've played SS TFE/TSE/BFE a million times but I can't remember...which one is the frog boss? Just the arena where you have to slaughter a seemingly endless stream of frogs?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I usually cheat on "Serious" difficulty by rocket-jumping up to one of the higher areas where the frogs can't consistently reach, and then blast them to smithereens with whatever's handy.

EDIT: Or am I thinking of a "frog boss" from TSE? Can't remember. Those fuckers make for a bad day on higher difficulties either way--I'd rather deal with a crowd of Kleer or Werebulls than frogs, often times.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

After jumping through all those hoops for getting Halo up to a decent modern standard, I gotta say, Halo is still pretty fun.

Though I think I like it better once you get off the Autumn and onto the ring itself. The opening's strong enough, but man, that second level's really where the game starts to shine. (And I'm not even to Silent Cartographer yet!)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Silent Cartographer is one of the genre's all-time classics.

Halo PC was the reason I am who I am today. My first online game. People I met through that I still talk to and I would consider family. Also the reason I got an Xbox for Halo 2, 3, ODST and Reach. And the reason I am so in love with Destiny right now.

It's like hand in hand Bungie and Blizzard for the game developers that have had the largest impact on my life.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Funny, because I'm also dabbling in Blizzard's RTS catalog at the same time. Mostly Starcraft, though I also got all three non-WoW Warcraft games, started out a Rogue run in Diablo, and have owned The Lost Vikings on Genesis for a few years now. Turns out they're good? Who knew.

I mean I also have Overwatch, but as if I'm confident enough in my understanding of Overwatch to actually play Overwatch.

Back to Halo, I remember the floaty jump not bothering me at all in the past, but oddly it's annoying me slightly now. I mean, it's not very different from playing UT with a low-gravity mutator, or setting sv_gravity to half in ZDoom or Quake, but playing enough of those in the interim has kinda trained me to expect a certain jump arc that Halo doesn't have. Still, it's great for climbing geometry I probably shouldn't be able to climb, so it's got that nice perk to significantly assuage things.

Also, I love this undersized sniper rifle pistol. :hellyeah:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I have very limited experience with the Halo series, but I do appreciate the fact that they made the pistol a not-piece-of-poo poo that wasn't immediately rendered useless after picking up another weapon.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I recently have been playing through Starcraft again. But since I had to do a PC Reset I lost my Broodwar Save. I was maybe 7 years old when I first got to play it on a PC Gamer demo disk back in the late 90s. (I still have all my PC Gamer Demo Disks) I played that demo to death and my parents eventually bought me Starcraft and later Brood War (still have the disc and the case). Typing in cheat codes taught me how to type. And later on between Halo PC and WoW I was able to finally socialize with other people (no wonder I'm so hosed up with anxiety) when I had moved out into the woods from Miami to central FL. Back then I played Star Wars Galaxies and Guild Wars too but I have memories of getting yelled at for playing Halo 2 until 4 in the morning on school nights.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have very limited experience with the Halo series, but I do appreciate the fact that they made the pistol a not-piece-of-poo poo that wasn't immediately rendered useless after picking up another weapon.

In PvP you could kill a player driving the Scorpion tank with just a pistol from mid-range because the driver seat was open. Also having to aim ahead by 2 player lengths cause at the time I only had dial up.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Except for the magnum in Halo 2 and 3 (at least when not duel wielding), there isn't really any useless guns due to the two-weapon limit actually having some intelligence behind it, even for the weapons you think are useless really aren't, and can actually gently caress you sideways. Halo Reach mostly restored the Halo 1 pistol (at least for headshots). It's probably the reason why anybody who complains about weapon limits in modern games never tend to mention Halo.

Although, I have this really weird feeling Halo 4 & 5 don't even have the magnum? I didn't really play those two enough to remember. As Halo games they felt a little... off.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Halo 4 was closer to Halo 1 style but toned down when it came to the Magnum. It didn't really have that sniping potential anymore. Back in Halo 1 it was Pistol or Sniper Rifle for long range. There was no Battle Rifle or DMR then.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ularg posted:

Yea I recently have been playing through Starcraft again. But since I had to do a PC Reset I lost my Broodwar Save.
Well, you got farther than I ever did, then. I'm stuck on the tenth and final Terran mission of the base game, "The Hammer Falls"; I keep getting swamped by white's Goliath swarm before I'm anywhere near ready to handle it, and my attempts to take the red base to the west for additional resources before that happens have yet to fully take hold. Also haven't identified how to catch the Ghost that keeps nuking the northeast end of my base. (I'm not very good at Starcraft.)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Duke Nukem 3D also has a pistol like that. Especially since Liztroop grunts are still around later in the game, and the chaingun uses different ammo. And it fires fast and is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, you got farther than I ever did, then. I'm stuck on the tenth and final Terran mission of the base game, "The Hammer Falls"; I keep getting swamped by white's Goliath swarm before I'm anywhere near ready to handle it, and my attempts to take the red base to the west for additional resources before that happens have yet to fully take hold. Also haven't identified how to catch the Ghost that keeps nuking the northeast end of my base. (I'm not very good at Starcraft.)

Bunkered marines out the rear end, with a bit of spam to offset the inevitable attrition. Bunkered marines with the range upgrade match Goliaths for range. Turrets will at least give you a heads up on the ghosts, and like bunkers and marines are gas free so you can spam them early on and not worry about depleting your geyser. To actually deal with the ghosts you want siege tanks.

Starcraft’s campaign is honestly pretty hard, and Brood War just rolls with that straight into batshit crazy territory. Coming back to it from SC2 campaigns was a shock, it’s fully willing to kick the poo poo out of you as a game.